• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, but it was My Nintendo Store exclusive, so not tracked by anyone.

Usually, I would completely agree with you, but this time it's different.

The fact that Nintendo themselves hand-picked the DLC characters themselves is proof the Joker announcement is more than meets the eye. Persona series is nowhere near as big and influential as the other 3rd-party series, and what's more, it's never appeared on Nintendo platforms before (with the exception of a moderately popular spin-off series... and no, they didn't pick Joker to promote Persona Q2 on 3DS of all platforms).

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to pick Joker as DLC character (not to mention reveal it during a major events with million of viewers worldwide) if not because of something bigger. There's tons of other characters they could've gone with instead (from both 1st and 3rd-party series).

As I said, I usually don't buy into this kind of stuff at all, and generally remain pretty skeptical, but this time it's too big to be mere coincidence. But it looks like we might not have to wait too long before finding out, so let's just wait and see.

My understanding from what Sakurai tweeted a while ago is that, while the selection process was definitely different than usual, he still had the last word on the picks: Nintendo gave him a list of potential DLC characters and he chose among them. Not exactly "Nintendo picked the characters this time". Still, again, it's different than usual because Nintendo had a major influence by giving to Sakurai a list of eligible characters. Since Nintendo made the list, it's plausible to think there might be something else behind the original Nintendo picks, including Joker.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's exactly the argument for software but these are the first 3 FY.

WII
FY06 (Dec'06-Mar'07) - 6,12m
FY07 (Apr'07-Mar'08) - 14,94m
FY08 (Apr'08-Mar'09) - 13,03m

3DS
FY10 (Feb'11-Mar'11) - 2,18m
FY11 (Apr'11-Mar'12) - 11,13m
FY12 (Apr'12-Mar'13) - 21,16m

WIU
FY12 (Dec'12-Mar'13) - 1,73m
FY13 (Apr'13-Mar'14) - 3,89m
FY14 (Apr'14-Mar'15) - 3,33m

NSW
FY16 (Mar'17-Mar'17) - 0,89m
FY17 (Apr'17-Mar'18) - 12,26m
FY18 (Apr'18-Sep'18) - 7,15m

This year will end well over 20m for Switch.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know what's exactly the argument for software but these are the first 3 FY.

WII
FY06 (Dec'06-Mar'07) - 6,12m
FY07 (Apr'07-Mar'08) - 14,94m
FY08 (Apr'08-Mar'09) - 13,03m

3DS
FY10 (Feb'11-Mar'11) - 2,18m
FY11 (Apr'11-Mar'12) - 11,13m
FY12 (Apr'12-Mar'13) - 21,16m

WIU
FY12 (Dec'12-Mar'13) - 1,73m
FY13 (Apr'13-Mar'14) - 3,89m
FY14 (Apr'14-Mar'15) - 3,33m

NSW
FY16 (Mar'17-Mar'17) - 0,89m
FY17 (Apr'17-Mar'18) - 12,26m
FY18 (Apr'18-Sep'18) - 7,15m

This year will end well over 20m for Switch.
Thanks for the collation of data.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Gameplay Trailer"

Contains about 10 seconds of gameplay in a 2 minute video.

This industry must be stopped.
This industry? Hype is what gamers want, so publishers do whatever they can to deliver that hype. Blame ourselves, blame the E3 threads, the E3 hype threads, the E3 rating threads, the "reset the clock" meme, the reaction videos on Youtube.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This industry? Hype is what gamers want, so publishers do whatever they can to deliver that hype. Blame ourselves, blame the E3 threads, the E3 hype threads, the E3 rating threads, the "reset the clock" meme, the reaction videos on Youtube.

That's why I never participate in such threads. As a gamer I want high-quality games---not hype.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Prototype fully onboard the Switch train. CLANNAD announced for Spring in latest Famitsu.

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/16613

My understanding from what Sakurai tweeted a while ago is that, while the selection process was definitely different than usual, he still had the last word on the picks: Nintendo gave him a list of potential DLC characters and he chose among them. Not exactly "Nintendo picked the characters this time". Still, again, it's different than usual because Nintendo had a major influence by giving to Sakurai a list of eligible characters. Since Nintendo made the list, it's plausible to think there might be something else behind the original Nintendo picks, including Joker.

Sure, but Sakurai's "last word" was pretty much exclusively about gameplay. And I pretty much doubt there's any character Nintendo really wanted in that was rejected by Sakurai. Unlike Smash fans, I assume that Nintendo was infinitely more sensible when picking up character (no Shrek, Goku, etc. :P). I assume Sakurai's "ok" was pretty much a formality.

Not that it matters anyway, the important thing is that Nintendo asked for the character to be included in the first place.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sony even funded a 1st party game that appeals to Japan since PS3?
Aside from bloodborne I can't think of anything. Certainly nothing with a wide appeal.

Off the top of my head

Vita:
Soul Sacrifice
Freedom Wars
Hot Shot golf
Gravity Rush
Oreshika

PS4:
Gravity Rush 2
Bloodborne
Everybodys Golf
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
The Last Guardian

Sure some didn't have wide appeal (like Gravity Rush and Last Guardian) but I think those were intended to be as focused to Japan as to west (So not something like God of War that is purely for west)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So according to Marvelous's New Years greeting card in Famitsu they will be announcing a new title in a "certain series" soon.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Off the top of my head

Vita:
Soul Sacrifice
Freedom Wars
Hot Shot golf
Gravity Rush
Oreshika

PS4:
Gravity Rush 2
Bloodborne
Everybodys Golf
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
The Last Guardian

Sure some didn't have wide appeal (like Gravity Rush and Last Guardian) but I think those were intended to be as focused to Japan as to west (So not something like God of War that is purely for west)

Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding are definitely not aimed at Japanese audience.
And aside from Bloodborne the rest are really small title with very niche appeal and look low budget (most probably are low budget).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding are definitely not aimed at Japanese audience.
And aside from Bloodborne the rest are really small title with very niche appeal and look low budget (most probably are low budget).
Things like Issyo/Toro, Mingol, Parappa and GT aren't niche properties but PlayStation's collapse to a core/oktaku only audience has made them irrelevant since they're out if the mainstream now. Mingol didn't do that hot on mobile either though so maybe their time is more generally past.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
A lack of hype can cause problems as well.

Sure: companies and gamers must strike a balance. The point is, 3-4 years after the initial reveal, some games have yet to materialize in playable form. KHIII is releasing 5 years and a half after its original announcement. Personally, it makes much more sense to talk extensively about a game when it's released and using that time to play other games.

So according to Marvelous's New Years greeting card in Famitsu they will be announcing a new title in a "certain series" soon.

Bokujou Monogatari finally. I guess that just leaves Derby Stallion from the original Switch lineup list yet to materialize.

Harvest Moon is taking a little too much to come (A New Beginning was released one year after 3DS launch) but it will be a success anyway given past entries performances which all went way above 200k units sold.

Rune Factory is missing and that's a shame because Rune Factory 5 could be presented as a moderately big project following the same idea Nintendo had with Fire Emblem Awakening; the previous entry sold very well both in Japan and overseas.

As for Derby Stallion, Gold on 3DS didn't sell as well as expected so who knows.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Harvest Moon is taking a little too much to come (A New Beginning was released one year after 3DS launch) but it will be a success anyway given past entries performances which all went way above 200k units sold.

The fact that it's taking a long time is the thing that excites me.

NSW 90k and PS4 110k is the most likely scenario

Really? You don't think it would sell more on the Switch?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

What. AAA game based in Japan with samurais is not in any way aimed at Japanese market? Or new game from Kojima after the success of MGS games? I mean they are not solely aimed at Japan ( you don't fund AAA games solely for Japan) but surely Sony expects those to sell relatively well in Japan too.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Things like Issyo/Toro, Mingol, Parappa and GT aren't niche properties but PlayStation's collapse to a core/oktaku only audience has made them irrelevant since they're out if the mainstream now. Mingol didn't do that hot on mobile either though so maybe tyeir time is more generally past.

I haven't even heard Parappa for years lol (since PS2?), but I don't think it has ever been super relevant?

What. AAA game based in Japan with samurais is not in any way aimed at Japanese market? Or new game from Kojima after the success of MGS games? I mean they are not solely aimed at Japan ( you don't fund AAA games solely for Japan) but surely Sony expects those to sell relatively well in Japan too.

MGS is MGS. DS seems to have nothing to do with MGS and looks to me just like a Kojima's Hollywood take on video game turned to 11.
It will probably sell decent in Japan, in the vicinity of Spiderman, but I just don't see how it is aimed at Japanese audience.
Even all the characters in that games are motion captured from caucasian actors/actresses.

Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much Horizon/TLoU/GoW/*insert Sony 3rd person story focused game* in Japanese setting.
There are a lot more factors that determine whether a game appeal to Japanese audience than just the setting (or in this case faux Japanese setting).

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

No, a Japanese setting does not mean that something is aimed at the Japanese market. Define "well?"

The indications we have (Comg, Amazon, GEO) all point to PS4 being the top SKU

For some reason I thought there was more excitement surrounding the Switch version and that a portable version of this particular game would be more popular (think of the popularity of Minecraft Vita).

FW PS4 might be above but legs can be better on Switch.

Oh, because the PS4 is more of an enthusiast crowd that's likely to be informated and pick it up early, whereas the Switch has wider general appeal?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Really? You don't think it would sell more on the Switch?
Builders 1 came out in March, and it did 28k FW, 67k LTD according to Famitsu. Considering that LTD number, the short period of time between the two releases, and the fierce competition on NSW (the game is competing with Super Mario Party, Pokémon, Smash, and of course Minecraft), I think 90k would already be a very nice FW result. It should also be considered that the Dragon Quest audience has been more established on PS4, thanks to the multiple spin-offs through the years and the release of DQXI. Meanwhile, the NSW only got late ports until now. The holiday competition on PS4 is much weaker as well: most big games (Call of Duty, God Eater, Judge Eyes) aim for different types of players.

Retailers have been saying that the PS4 version generally sold better than the NSW version, so it all adds up.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Builders 1 came out in March, and it did 28k FW, 67k LTD according to Famitsu. Considering that LTD number, the short period of time between the two releases, and the fierce competition on NSW (the game is competing with Super Mario Party, Pokémon, Smash, and of course Minecraft), I think 90k would already be a very nice FW result. It should also be considered that the Dragon Quest audience has been more established on PS4, thanks to the multiple spin-offs through the years and the release of DQXI. Meanwhile, the NSW only got late ports until now. The holiday competition on PS4 is much weaker as well: most big games (Call of Duty, God Eater, Judge Eyes) aim for different types of players.

Retailers have been saying that the PS4 version generally sold better than the NSW version, so it all adds up.

Huh, interesting. I guess all of that makes sense.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Sure: companies and gamers must strike a balance. The point is, 3-4 years after the initial reveal, some games have yet to materialize in playable form. KHIII is releasing 5 years and a half after its original announcement. Personally, it makes much more sense to talk extensively about a game when it's released and using that time to play other games.

Rune Factory is missing and that's a shame because Rune Factory 5 could be presented as a moderately big project following the same idea Nintendo had with Fire Emblem Awakening; the previous entry sold very well both in Japan and overseas.

As for Derby Stallion, Gold on 3DS didn't sell as well as expected so who knows.
Neverland went belly-up and Marvelous seemingly doesn't want to continue Rune Factory without them for whatever reason.