• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
90k opening week for DQB2 Switch would be a shit result let's not kid ourselves. Though it has way more to do with SE than the console itself. 110k for PS4 wouldn't be great either.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
90k opening week for DQB2 Switch would be a shit result let's not kid ourselves. Though it has way more to do with SE than the console itself. 110k for PS4 wouldn't be great either.

No, on both....i dont see why a DQB sequel costing 7k yen should sell much better in its first week.
Considering the legs of past Switch 3rdParty titles and how the ended up selling compared to their first week....yeah dont know what you were expecting.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Off the top of my head

Vita:
Soul Sacrifice
Freedom Wars
Hot Shot golf
Gravity Rush
Oreshika

PS4:
Gravity Rush 2
Bloodborne
Everybodys Golf
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
The Last Guardian

Sure some didn't have wide appeal (like Gravity Rush and Last Guardian) but I think those were intended to be as focused to Japan as to west (So not something like God of War that is purely for west)

I did miss some, sorry, even if they missed the mark some of those should have been counted. I don't know about Death Stranding, it might get attention because of Kojima, however I don't think Ghost of Tsushima has much appeal here, but I guess we will find out.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If 90k is a shit result for Switch then 110k for ps4 is worse, not "wouldn't be great either". And please don't start with the "expectations from a console with a "Nintendo audience" vs expectations from a PS console" argument:
1. Switch is not your typical Nintendo audience.
2. To quote DarkDetective, who summarized the situation well -
Builders 1 came out in March, and it did 28k FW, 67k LTD according to Famitsu. Considering that LTD number, the short period of time between the two releases, and the fierce competition on NSW (the game is competing with Super Mario Party, Pokémon, Smash, and of course Minecraft), I think 90k would already be a very nice FW result. It should also be considered that the Dragon Quest audience has been more established on PS4, thanks to the multiple spin-offs through the years and the release of DQXI. Meanwhile, the NSW only got late ports until now. The holiday competition on PS4 is much weaker as well: most big games (Call of Duty, God Eater, Judge Eyes) aim for different types of players.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I said deep discounts for hardware are rare because of limited profit unless something ultra bombs. PlayStation Classic is heading to that category.
Didn't some of the Nintendo classics sell for very cheap from launch so Sony likely made a decent profit on any of these classics that they shipped to be sold at $100?
Wow. That's insane. So sony will lose a lot of money on this hardware?
I think Sony have pulled off a big cash and grab with this classic thing and retailers will suffer the loss. I'm personally glad to see it not take off because I want Sony offering classics over PSN on the PS4/PS5 not requiring you to buy a separate console. As a gamer I find that very annoying.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to believe it's anything like what FFXV ended up being? Or even intended to be?
Its been said that FF7 Remake will have real time combat and not turned based like the original. I dont know about it being open world like FFXV though.

It's a bit of both. Before SMT was shown at the Switch event many people on here were arguing that it would be a PS4 exclusive using the Persona 5 engine.
I see. Was this based on a rumor or purely speculation?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Its been said that FF7 Remake will have real time combat and not turned based like the original. I dont know about it being open world like FFXV though.

The comment seems to suggest that its take on action JRPG combat was lifted from FFXV.

Didn't some of the Nintendo classics sell for very cheap from launch so Sony likely made a decent profit on any of these classics that they shipped to be sold at $100?

I think Sony have pulled off a big cash and grab with this classic thing and retailers will suffer the loss. I'm personally glad to see it not take off because I want Sony offering classics over PSN on the PS4/PS5 not requiring you to buy a separate console. As a gamer I find that very annoying.

At this point, I would prefer rebuying every game to the -nothing- that we've got. I love the PS1 era, so it's pretty upsetting to me.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Retailer-manufacturer relationships are not one-off. I'm pretty sure retailers, especially big chains (as buyer power has been increasing for years), will be able to shift costs back to Sony sooner or later.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it going so high, but something like 5m can happen. There are many 2d platformers on Switch and more are coming soon. Yoshi will be out less than 3 months later and Mario Maker 2 must not be very far. Mario Kart has literally no competition.

1m will be also be difficult in Japan.
I don't think how many platform games are available on Switch will negatively impact SMB sales.
SMB is THE face of platformers.
Just like I don't think the great availability of racing games/MK clones or fighting VS games/Smash clones would negatively impact Mario Kart 8 or Smash Ultimate.
That's the beauty of owning the genre king and cultivating a franchise through the generations.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Andri did good at calling you out. No amount of spin will hide the fact, that PSClassic flopped worldwide.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I understand. Was SMT V announced at time at all by the way?

I dont know if its exactly like that, but FFXV is also real time combat, so its likely more towards that direction in terms of combat system.

The narrative surrounding the combat is that it's similar to what originally intended for Versus, but who knows to what degree that's true.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bit of both. Before SMT was shown at the Switch event many people on here were arguing that it would be a PS4 exclusive using the Persona 5 engine.
Even after it was revealed in early 2017 people still assumed SMT "HD Project" would be PS4 multi. It was only later after Atlus revealed it was SMTV specifically and 100% Switch exclusive did that die down, but only with the conciet that P5 would never come to Switch either. Looks like people might have to readjust their Atlus expectations yet again soon...