• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Thank you ResetEra for approving my membership to this site. I'm also quite happy that Nintendo is performing so well in Japan, because this is a huge accomplishment and a very large victory for this company. Having the Japanese Market in their favor will pay off huge dividends for them in the long run in terms of jrpg titles. If Nintendo can keep these sales up with this console and the next console they release they will be thee market of choice for jrpgs gamers such as myself.

Welcome! Hope you brushed up on all the Monster Hunter Switch rumors. You'll need it for the bickering.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you ResetEra for approving my membership to this site. I'm also quite happy that Nintendo is performing so well in Japan, because this is a huge accomplishment and a very large victory for this company. Having the Japanese Market in their favor will pay off huge dividends for them in the long run in terms of jrpg titles. If Nintendo can keep these sales up with this console and the next console they release they will be thee market of choice for jrpgs gamers such as myself.
Welcome aboard! :D And I highly agree as well! :)

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
EMxEAqVVAAEA-QK.jpg

EMwWNsZVUAAnhSa.jpg

EMxq57mU4AAjWo2.jpg

EMskzabVAAAk1B8.jpg

EMw0jptU0AEf7id.jpg

EMrWUr5UYAAlu7f.jpg

EMrWUr7VUAAucC9.jpg

EMhnq91UYAApxpQ.jpg

EMnd6pOU4AEOhGq.jpg

EMo31CRVAAAU7J2.jpg

EMxHdiwVUAAoupZ.jpg

EM2z_Q5VAAQkvWO.jpg

EMrXraXU8AAlN1A.jpg

EMiH8HNU8AIBXpy.jpg

EMiH8HPVAAIpRcd.jpg

EMsrUu3U0AA1lF_.jpg

EMnjHpRUwAAK_sV.jpg

EMle3H9VAAAjakw.jpg

Seamless transition from Japan to China

Welcome! Brace yourself for some heated discussions in MC thread :)

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nippon Ichi take a crack at the whole simultaneous release thing

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Comgnet comparisons: Very Lite Edition, as of December 29th, 2019

[PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 - 71pt (regular) + 16pt (LE) = 87pt
[PS4] Judgement - 62pt
[PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 55pt

[PS4] Dragon Ball Fighter Z - 29pt
[NSW] Dragon Ball Fighter Z - 12pt
[NSW] Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission - 25pt
[PS4] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - 20pt

Note: in the past few years, the first-week sales / LTD preorders ratios have costantly increased, resulting in more and more actual thousands sold per preorder point, thus comparisons between series' entry across several years are way less accurate then what they could've been before.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So cross-posting this from the Tokyo Mirage Sessions thread, since Nintendo posted a Web CM for the game.

Something I did notice on the Twitter responses and this might actually be a valid complaint. The changes aside, which I did expect the users to comment on, some users are complaining the fact there doesn't seem to be any TV promotional presence and only seem Nintendo is focusing on web commercials for the games. While it's true streaming is becoming a more viable option for promoting games, given this is a physical software and if Nintendo really is restricting advertising of the game, I'm guessing expectations are absurdly low or something.

We'll likely know for sure in the next couple of weeks if ads show up on TV. But if there really isn't any TV presence, especially this close to release now...

Is there any current data to gauge current expectations for the game now? Because if the advertisements are restricted to Web, I can't help but wonder on this...

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So cross-posting this from the Tokyo Mirage Sessions thread, since Nintendo posted a Web CM for the game.

Something I did notice on the Twitter responses and this might actually be a valid complaint. The changes aside, which I did expect the users to comment on, some users are complaining the fact there doesn't seem to be any TV promotional presence and only seem Nintendo is focusing on web commercials for the games. While it's true streaming is becoming a more viable option for promoting games, given this is a physical software and if Nintendo really is restricting advertising of the game, I'm guessing expectations are absurdly low or something.

We'll likely know for sure in the next couple of weeks if ads show up on TV. But if there really isn't any TV presence, especially this close to release now...

Is there any current data to gauge current expectations for the game now? Because if the advertisements are restricted to Web, I can't help but wonder on this...

This game is going to sell terribly. It will be lucky if it outsells the already pathetic WiiU sales. Throwing cash at a big ad campaign won't change that much, it would just be wasting money. And I say that as a big fan of the game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to sell terribly. It will be lucky if it outsells the already pathetic WiiU sales. Throwing cash at a big ad campaign won't change that much, it would just be wasting money. And I say that as a big fan of the game.
They should have renamed it Persona Switch in the west and it would immediately sell an extra couple of hundred thousand units.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Nintendo is right to have low expectations.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah the game is destined to sell like crap. This isn't a case of it being trapped by the Wii U, it just doesn't have appeal for what it is.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Big marketing goes together with big expectations. From the moment this is a low seller Nintendo won't invest in it a lot. They have done the same thing many times before when the only promotions for games are through directs.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It has an awful name and confusing messaging. Not sure why anyone would ever expect it to do well.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
TMS#FE is a SMT X Fire Emblem crossover that appeals to neither Megaten fans nor Fire Emblem fans. It is doomed to low sales.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People really expected it to get advertising on TV? Did it even outsell The Wonderful 101?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Welcome to our little community :)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Porting TMS is a smart move as FE and SMT fanbases are/will be on Switch.

It might have low sales at retail at launch but being on Switch will help the game to have long term sales, through discounts, promotions, and alongside the release of new entries of FE and SMT.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It might have low sales at retail at launch but being on Switch will help the game to have long term sales, through discounts, promotions, and alongside the release of new entries of FE and SMT.
none of those things are gonna help nor is this gonna affect SMT5 and the next FE. this game just isn't wanted by anyone

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

TMS#FE doesn't appeal to either SMT or FE fans

It's basically a new IP (with little market appeal)

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why Nintendo even greenlit this port. I mean I appreciate it as I always wanted to play it but I would have totally understood if they decided against a port.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Nintendo even greenlit this port. I mean I appreciate it as I always wanted to play it but I would have totally understood if they decided against a port.
It's a game that didn't really have a chance on the Wii U, was well received, and a vocal part of the fanbase wanted it.

TMS#FE doesn't appeal to either SMT or FE fans

It's basically a new IP (with little market appeal)
The game is basically Persona with FE characters, so I disagree with this.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It was probably inexpensive. If it miraculously breaks out on Switch Nintendo swims in money. If not, no skin off their back.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Yo Atlus, now that Joker is in Smash can you actually release a Switch game?"

"Uhhhh...... Tokyo Mirage Sessions port?"

*sigh*"Fine."

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Who came up with that name..

I dont know how much SMT or FE actually became of the game, but if there was enough relevant content from the franchises they should have just stuck with the initial reveal name SMT x Fire Emblem and added whatever at the end I'm sure it would have a better case :P

Social media adverts and I think we're getting a direct prior to the release of this for the last push is about all promotion we're gonna see for this game.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Who came up with that name..

I dont know how much SMT or FE actually became of the game, but if there was enough relevant content from the franchises they should have just stuck with the initial reveal name SMT x Fire Emblem and added whatever at the end I'm sure it would have a better case :P

Social media adverts and I think we're getting a direct prior to the release of this for the last push is about all promotion we're gonna see for this game.
It's basically a new RPG IP about idols that uses FE characters as personas.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who has been following TMS will lnow that it has a vocal and passionate fan community around it. The people who actually played it really liked it.

I can't remember if it was a thread on neogaf or early era but there was a thread praising the game and saying it was a better experience then persona 5 and to the surprise of many, alot of people agreed with this.

Same thing happened with xenoblade X and to a smaller extent with xenoblade 2
Where there are way more people who liked these games than negative people would have you believe

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see problem with the name, there's significantly worse JRPG names.

It's a game set it Tokyo with a musical motif where battles are called Sessions and the main characters fight and get power from Mirages.

The initials are also SMT backwards lol

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't see problem with the name, there's significantly worse JRPG names.

It's a game set it Tokyo with a musical motif where battles are called Sessions and the main characters fight and get power from Mirages.

The initials are also SMT backwards lol
Yeah, by JRPG standards the name makes a ton of sense.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Tsutaya Ranking: Week 52, 2019 (23 Dec - 29 Dec)

01./01. [NSW] Pokemon Sword <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Pokemon Shield <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
03./03. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} (¥5.980)
04./06. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 <SPT> (Sega) {2019.11.01} (¥5.990)
05./07. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
06./00. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} (¥3.480)
07./08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
08./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
09./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
10./12. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25} (¥5.700)
11./15. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
12./11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield Dual Pack <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥11.960)
13./14. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480)
14./18. [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} (¥5.980)
15./17. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.10.10} (¥6.100)
16./05. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.12.19} (¥7.800)
17./10. [PS4] New Sakura Taisen <ACT> (Sega) {2019.12.12} (¥8.800)
18./23. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Squid Debut Set + Nintendo Switch Online 1 Month Individual Membership) <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.11.22} (¥5.980)
19./19. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
20./22. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Joy-Con Set) <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.12.01} (¥9.980)

Top 20

NSW - 18
PS4 - 2

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Tsutaya Ranking: Week 52, 2019 (23 Dec - 29 Dec)

01./01. [NSW] Pokemon Sword <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Pokemon Shield <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
03./03. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} (¥5.980)
04./06. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 <SPT> (Sega) {2019.11.01} (¥5.990)
05./07. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
06./00. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} (¥3.480)
07./08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
08./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
09./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
10./12. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25} (¥5.700)
11./15. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
12./11. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield Dual Pack <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥11.960)
13./14. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.12.05} (¥6.480)
14./18. [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} (¥5.980)
15./17. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.10.10} (¥6.100)
16./05. [PS4] [NSW] Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.12.19} (¥7.800)
17./10. [PS4] New Sakura Taisen <ACT> (Sega) {2019.12.12} (¥8.800)
18./23. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.11.22} (¥5.980)
19./19. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
20./22. [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.12.01} (¥9.980)

Top 20

NSW - 18
PS4 - 2
There is a typo for WO4 and there is Splatoon 2 two times.

Regardless, the top 20 is basically Switch only, that's madness.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Comg and Tsutaya are pointing to a considerable drop for Ring Fit Adventure. We'll see what happens, but the situation seems a joke at the moment.

Comgnet hints at a very strong week for Switch software. Better hold than usual.

I wouldn't trust Comg at this time of the year. Last years they had week 1 far bigger than week 51.

There is a typo for WO4 and there is Splatoon 2 two times.

Regardless, the top 20 is basically Switch only, that's madness.

Fixed. They are two different sets.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a low blow, but I couldn't help but think of Hino when I read that Witcher tv/game synergy thread. maybe they should try an older audience angle

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the only reason #FE is receiving a port is because fans asked for it. Anticipation for the game seems very low with it not being far away. I think it will do exactly about how it did on Wii U.

A port of a different game would've probably been the better move, but I suppose Nintendo's current options are now limited for games that are neither redundant in the Switch's library nor attached to the hip of the Wii U.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This game had and has so small sales potential that the only reason Nintendo cared for a Switch port must be Atlus being the company behind it.