• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wow, didn't expect any update at this point lol.

Switch outsold Wii U lifetime sales in 10 months according to Famitsu.

The Switch has three 1 million sellers on those 10 months.

Splatoon 2 - 1,752,096 units
Super Mario Odyssey - 1,324,280 units
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1,103,744 units

Wii U had four 1 million sellers during its lifetime. From https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Splatoon - 1.660.291 units
Mario Kart 8 - 1.356.167 units
New Super Mario Bros U - 1.260.178 units
Super Mario Maker - 1.076.843 units

Nice.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Milestones for Pokémon and Monster Hunter. Also, how wild would it be if Xenoverse 2 Switch does better than FighterZ? Amazing legs for the late port.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
10./11. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 13.262 / 285.063 <80-100%> (-43%)

Go ARMS! Almost there to 300k!

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo has a massive job to try and keep the momentum going with next weeks direct.

Mario Maker 2 will be a big part of it I think.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch outsold Wii U lifetime sales in 10 months according to Famitsu.

The Switch has three 1 million sellers on those 10 months.

Splatoon 2 - 1,752,096 units
Super Mario Odyssey - 1,324,280 units
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1,103,744 units

Wii U had four 1 million sellers during its lifetime. From https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Splatoon - 1.660.291 units
Mario Kart 8 - 1.356.167 units
New Super Mario Bros U - 1.260.178 units
Super Mario Maker - 1.076.843 units
Is this reliable? I can't believe Mario 3d world didn't pass a MIL. Also wasn't Nintendo land bundled in?

chroeser

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pardon my ignorance, but is this the week, when people spend their new years money? It should't be? If not than next week could be better, especially for hardware?

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Xenoblade becomes the next Switch title that has no legs.
This is objectively wrong.

It has some kind of legs. Otherwise it would have stopped charting on its third week and it wouldn't have had an increase either.

Holiday season is not an excuse cause many games have been released in Nov/Dec only to be buried few weeks after (Atelier being the most recent example).

Xenoblade 2 you're doing amazing sweetie.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

It has some kind of legs. Otherwise it would have stopped charting on its third week and it wouldn't have had an increase either.

Holiday season is not an excuse cause many games have been released in Nov/Dec only to be buried few weeks after (Atelier being the most recent example).

I don't think his post was serious.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Chris is very obviously sarcastic and mocking some doubters who will probably still keep on saying that the game is a failure (with some new metrics to prove it)

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I also noticed the Switch got three 1 million sellers before the PS4 did.

MHW is expected to be the third 1 million seller for PS4.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

he was just mocking that CGiRanger guy's quote last week lol,the dude that was saying the game had no legs and wom and used fan doujins as an example I think

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Mario Kart #1? Is it due to other Switch games like Odyssey and Splatoon being hard to find / out of stock?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
May have already been answered, but did the apparent Switch software shortages start in week 52 or the following week?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of crazy, isn't it?

Code:
HARDWARE
+-------+-------------+
|System |     LTD     |
+-------+-------------+
|  NSW  |   3.407.158 |
|  WIU  |   3.301.555 |
+-------+-------------+

Oct 25, 2017

Word of the wise, Sammy. Chris' no legs comment is not genuine and is sarcasm, Lady's comment is incredibly not genuine and is a farce.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
So happy seeing Xenoblade 2 sales keep going.
The rumbling of stock shortages is a good sign that there is continued demand for the game.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of crazy, isn't it?

Code:
HARDWARE
+-------+-------------+
|System |     LTD     |
+-------+-------------+
|  NSW  |   3.407.158 |
|  WIU  |   3.301.555 |
+-------+-------------+

Makes me happy for the Switch, but sad for the Wii U. I remember back in 2013 when I still had hope it might bounce back. Good times. It deserved better.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Youkai Watch is dead. A measly 400k copies sold in less than a month for a low effort spin-off. What is this, Gaist Crusher?
Luckily, we have the megahit The Snack World with its 230k copies sold in over four months.
Right? Some people love to shit on Yokai Watch for no reason. None of their faves are selling 400k, let alone with a spin off.

Snack World is beating everyone's expectations and it's doing pretty well for a late 3DS game too.

They gon be shook when Yokai Watch continues to be a powerhouse franchise on Switch, displaying graphics and gameplay evolution in a way that others will never.

4jFGJGB.gif

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well because of the smaller than expected Switch hardware supply software wasn't able to pass 2M during December with next week it should pass 2M:

Week 49:
Hardware – 150.583
Software – 241.089

Week 50:
Hardware – 193.717
Software – 212.447

Week 51:
Hardware – 230.259
Software – 305.201

Week 52:
Hardware – 303.504
Software – 623.837

Week 53:
Hardware – 115.255
Software – 365.413

Total:
Hardware – 993.318
Software – 1.747.987

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks for making this thread! Sorry it got derailed by backseat mods.

God damn that switch software. Can't wait to see that pacman

Edit: also why is media create so late this week?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Right? Some people love to shit on Yokai Watch for no reason. None of their faves are selling 400k, let alone with a spin off.

Snack World is beating everyone's expectations and it's doing pretty well for a late 3DS game too.

They gon be shook when Yokai Watch continues to be a powerhouse franchise on Switch, displaying graphics and gameplay evolution in a way that others will never.

4jFGJGB.gif

When was the last time you heard someone sing a King Creamsoda song at karaoke? For me it was over 2 years ago. The franchise has fallen greatly.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Top 30

NSW - 14
3DS - 8
PS4 - 7
PSV - 1

The amount of Switch games charting is really surprising and bodes really well for future support and software sales. I don't think even 3DS had so many games charting in December 2011. And the curious thing is that these are different games from different publishers and different genres, and many of them are not even really worthwhile being late ports.

13./23. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} (¥7.980) - 9.831 / 149.390 <80-100%> (-16%)

Really small drop. These sales are not really typical for a jRPG. 200k with eShop sales are a lock.

Luckily, we have the megahit The Snack World with its 230k copies sold in over four months.

I know Yo-kai Watch didn't have an anime at that time, but in Week 52 it was around 280k units and it had a similar sales pattern with respect to The Snack World. Then, it exploded in 2014.

21./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800) - 5.894 / 203.359 <80-100%>

It seems it didn't drop much with respect other software. Good to see selling consistently.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
When was the last time you heard someone sing a King Creamsoda song at karaoke? For me it was over 2 years ago. The franchise has fallen greatly.
It's certainly past its peak (but so is Monster Hunter, Pokemon and Dragon Quest?) but it has found a place for itself and it's still pretty succesful.

Its sales have been consistent since Yokai Watch 3 so I don't think it's still losing popularity.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other things to watch for is Pokemon USUM's drop after Christmas, on Amazon.co.jp the two versions already dropped into the teens.
Prior weeks the two versions were constantly between 3-10 place. Last year SM sold 90K for Week 52 ->100K for Week 1 ->31K for Week 2 -> 21K for Week 3
I totally see USUM being under 10K by week 3 of 2018.
Busters is the other game collapsing this week, it already finished above my expectations but next week's drop should bring it to about >45K. I'm thinking we would even see something like an 80% drop post Christmas week for the Yo-Kai. Should disappear entirely from M-C before week 3.

Switch software drops will be interesting to see, but I personally doubt they'd be larger than the drops for Pokemon USUM and YWB2. Something like a 50% drop for Week 52, 25% increase for Week 1, 60% drop for Week 2 and 10% drop for Week 3. Around week 3 things should stabilize for SMO, Splatoon 2, MK8D and Zelda and they'd all get to their respective baselines based on hardware availability until bigger games launch.

Pokemon USUM - 58K(-66%)
YWB2 - 32K(-78%)

Next week I think USUM drops below 25K, YWB2 drops below 15K.

MK8D - 89K(-28%)
Splatoon 2 - 80K(-40%)
SMO - 78K(-58%)
Zelda:BotW - 28K(-23%)

While I think majority of Switch titles see a big boost bigger than the 25% increase I thought they might have. Since the drops on majority of titles was much smaller than I anticipated outside of SMO which was probably propped up due to the bundles. Seems SMO bundles are more difficult to come by, and it's possible it's the easiest game to find second hand currently.
If Switch continues to sell >80K after Week 1, I can see the baseline of the top 3 holding above 30K p/w.

The amount of Switch games charting is really surprising and bodes really well for future support and software sales. I don't think even 3DS had so many games charting in December 2011. And the curious thing is that these are different games from different publishers and different genres, and many of them are not even really worthwhile being late ports.

3DS had exactly 4 titles charting throughout December - MK7, SM3DL, MH3G and Inazuma Eleven.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
It's certainly past its peak (but so is Monster Hunter, Pokemon and Dragon Quest?) but it has found a place for itself and it's still pretty succesful.

Its sales have been consistent since Yokai Watch 3 so I don't think it's still losing popularity.
Idk about the comparisons with Pokemon/MH/DQ, whose recent mainline games have sold upwards of 3 million consistently. There's a difference between 'past its peak' and 'in a decline' if that makes sense. Yo Kai has stagnated a bit now but for a while there it was steeply declining.

However, It's undeniable that ywb2 has outperformed all expectations, and even though compared to previous entries it's sales are low, most of our faves could indeed never.

Status
Not open for further replies.