• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Last year according to media create was 134 thousand.
If media create shows Anywhere near the same numbers as Famitsu tomorrow then I wouldn't call it bad at all.

I wasn't calling it bad, just didn't expect that big of a drop off.

You should see what a usual drop off is like then! Cause that's a cushioned fall if I ever saw one.

Yeah, I'm not used to following these numbers just yet. But I'm getting there based off the other comments.

Winner is PS4 this week.

Imagine when permanent price cut come.

For both Slim & Pro?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But seriously if you think these sales are bad wait 'till the PAL thread for BIS release later this month. It's out later than any other territory on the same day as Resident Evil Remake 2.

It might sell 1 thousand copies.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash breezed past MHW quickly.

It was a pretty expected result I'd say. Smash, Smash Bundles combined with the holiday Switch demand it's just too strong of a combination. Some people underestimated Smash but most thought this would be the end result.

As Chris said Pokemon Lets Go's under-performance is the real story, next year the performance of Yo-Kai and the Pokemon are going to be interesting to see. Nintendo definitely needs to get the price of the Switch lower for the next mainline entry - getting below 3DS launch price would be a good start.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
But seriously if you think these sales are bad wait 'till the PAL thread for BIS release later this month. It's out later than any other territory on the same day as Resident Evil Remake 2.

It might sell 1 thousand copies.
What difference would it make if it was out a different day, 3DS wouldn't magically rise from its ashes.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
15./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey <RPG> (Nintendo) {2018.07.27} (¥4.980) - 9.178 / NEW <0-20%>

giphy.gif

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Nintendo handled their 3DS "support" terribly bad.

they claimed they'd continue supporting the handheld then proceed to release ports of good but also meh-for-2018-2019-standards games every several months.

That's the very definition of throwing the userbase a bone, as if people didn't have other options to spend their gaming time.

that plan bombed so hard, nothing has sold remotely well since they took on that strategy.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'm so impressed with nearly everything this week! [looks at Pokémon and M&L]

But anyway Uhm smash is a monster as is Mario party. Also what in God's name, am I reading it right that Mario kart dropped 0% and Luigi's mansion rose 70%?!?! Japan explain

Edit: turns out both were typos, but a mere -8% for Mario kart is still insane and near unheard of during this period, wow

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo handled their 3DS "support" terribly bad.

they claimed they'd continue supporting the handheld then proceed to release ports of good but also meh-for-2018-2019-standards games every several months.

That's the very definition of throwing the userbase a bone, as if people didn't have other options to spend their gaming time.

that plan bombed so hard, nothing has sold remotely well since they took on that strategy.

The alternative would have been releasing nothing, which I am sure some people would have preferred. But yeah, this probably hasn't panned out the way they imagined it.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the price cut for PS4 right now, it's also the free games. It's very agressive. But I'm glad it's working.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Using Famitsu numbers vs Famitsu numbers, it did 70k better than last year.

Ah, I was a bit off. I thought it was higher but wasn't too sure.

Well I changed it to Furukawa because of the change in staff, but right now this avatar remains till I'm less befuddled by ERA discussions.

It'll be a while.

I had a feeling it was Furukawa. And is it ERA discussions in general, or Nintendo ones specifically speaking?

I don't think M&L series are dead completely, but I'm sure they would fare better on Switch.
The alternative would have been releasing nothing, which I am sure some people would have preferred. But yeah, this probably hasn't panned out the way they imagined it.

Or Nintendo could release a quick up-res port of all three M&L remakes on Switch and see how they fare. If there's enough sales, then proceed with a sequel. Similar to Sushi Strikers.

Rock_Man

Nov 8, 2017
Surprised to see Labo increase this week (of all weeks). Also surprisingly small drop for MK8.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart is basically selling 1m a year now.

It should outsell Mario Kart 7 in 2019 (almost guarenteed with digital).

Then there is the holy trinity at 3.7m-4m (SFC, Wii, DS). It might have a shot.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or Nintendo could release a quick up-res port of all three M&L remakes on Switch and see how they fare. If there's enough sales, then proceed with a sequel. Similar to Sushi Strikers.

I don't see the point of wasting AlphaDream's time with 3DS to Switch ports that would probably need considerable work when they should have all hands on deck for a new Switch game.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017

the thing is if they cared about their 3DS having some sort of extended life, they should have given it a real support, not some half-assed ports

new 2D Zelda, a new M&L game instead of a port, dunno something interesting, new.

Nintendo probably thought that since the ports came originally on hardware that flopped, that they'll pass as new for most people.

yeah that can apply sometimes but there's also the other side of the coin, aka "if I had wanted to play this game, I would have bought it back then....."

bombs all deserved, they should just let the thing die with some dignity and retire it

EDIT:* Kirby was a Wii game! I thought it was the WiiU game! that is even worse

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
04./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 45.752 / 2.030.297 (-8%)

Beautiful. Allow me to remind everyone that the GOAT kart racer is doing these numbers without even being from this goddamn gen.

Thats a WiiU game brehs. But GOATs do GOAT things, so... 2 milly in a new generation because everyone should get the chance to laugh at that Polygon article for as long as humanly possible.

#Blessed

Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst-selling game in franchise history, here's why

Q3rz7Up.gif

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I don't see the point of wasting AlphaDream's time with 3DS to Switch ports that would probably need considerable work when they should have all hands on deck for a new Switch game.

That's why I said quick up-res ports to test the water instead of going with a sequel and it doesn't meet their sales threshold. Hell, just throw Superstar Saga on Switch eShop and I bet it would sell like hot cakes.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu Switch Top 10:
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 2.360.655
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! - 1.253.677
  3. Splatoon 2 - 1.122.324
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 926.553
  5. Super Mario Party - 764.853
  6. Kirby Star Allies - 664.815
  7. Super Mario Odyssey - 575.926
  8. Minecraft - 525.045
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 491.648
  10. Mario Tennis Aces - 376.366
TOTAL: 9.061.862
HARDWARE TOTAL: 3.478.709

Famitsu 3DS Top 10(2012):
  1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 2.286.977
  2. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1.780.493
  3. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - 899.410
  4. Mario Kart 7 - 822.542
  5. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 776.171
  6. Super Mario 3D Land - 738.109
  7. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 453.672
  8. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 391.078
  9. Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon to Fushigina Orb - 352.023
  10. Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-tachi kara Nigek - 351.523

TOTAL: 8.851.998
HARDWARE TOTAL: 5.626.763

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Impressive performance for Judgement and Zelda.

Go Vacation could have been released a few weeks before.

Next week we should see some rises.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the thing is if they cared about their 3DS having some sort of extended life, they should have given it a real support, not some half-assed ports

new 2D Zelda, a new M&L game instead of a port, dunno something interesting, new.

Nintendo probably thought that since the ports came originally on hardware that flopped, that they'll pass as new for most people.

yeah that can apply sometimes but there's also the other side of the coin, aka "if I had wanted to play this game, I would have bought it back then....."

bombs all deserved, they should just let the thing die with some dignity and retire it

EDIT:* Kirby was a Wii game! I thought it was the WiiU game! that is even worse

Oh I definitely agree with you. About a year ago many of us were thinking that these quick ports/remakes would be justified but it looks like pretty much everything has bombed. It probably would have been smarter to just extend the Nintendo Select line and have the 3DS continue trucking along as a super low-budget option.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
you know... We made fun of the pie charts so much that I totally missed the fact that Polygon cited Vgchartz for that article

Its hard to believe that site is still around. That guy literally made a career/website out of making up/guessing numbers with no real tracking. Its insane.