• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Do you think Smash's incredible sales say more about the growth of the Switch, or the growth of the Smash IP? Combination of both?

Nintendo did everything right with this game: quality, marketing, cultivating the fanbase across the years. Switch impressive success of course helped but I think Smash would have been a record-breaking game everywhere. Also keep in mind that few people, relatively speaking, played Smash Wii U while 3DS audience might have been a bit different than usual. Therefore, this might be the first new Smash game since Brawl which also sold a lot.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Y'all ain't ready for the numbers Animal Crossing will do later this year.
I'm telling you it will have the biggest opening WW in the franchise. How will it open in Japan?
Pretty much every single game (except Let's Go) is trending up and I don't expect any different for AC. It's gonna be an absolute monster.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just PR speak for "Yeah, not interested in Switch version anymore, sorry".

Of course they are interested, Switch is/will become the main platform for this game genre, obviously. But they probably used an old/bad engine that has no possibility to export to Switch. Only way around would be to port the game to another engine, but that would probably take to much time/costs.

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Nintendo did everything right with this game: quality, marketing, cultivating the fanbase across the year. Switch impressive success of course helped but I think Smash would have been a record-breaking game everywhere.

Agree, and i think that only people who are in the smash comunity can understand this. Nintendo truly did an amazing job.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Mario Tennis is in 11th, it was basically their big advertised game for the Summer Season, got a global online test and is still getting characters as post-launch support, yet Kirby sold significantly better than it did (I know it was a March releaes VS. a June one, but then again, Kirby Vs. Mario). Any particular reason Mario Tennis Aces didn't break out like Super Mario Party did? I know the single player stuff was lacking, but the mechanics were solid. Similar situtation to Kirby Star Allies, solid mechanics, but had the issue of playing itself. Is it mainly due to difficulty in playing?

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
New Leaf has legs but a big part of its sales came from first months. First week was 800k (600k physical + 200k digital) and is over 5,5m by now. It was in short supply for at least 2 months. It's far from a game that started slow.

Code:
+----+--------+--------+
| Q3 |  2,73  |  2,73  |
| Q4 |  1,03  |  3,80  |
+----+--------+--------+
| Q1 |  0,35  |  4,15  |
| Q2 |  0,13  |  4,28  |
| Q3 |  0,25  |  4,53  |
| Q4 |  0,04  |  4,57  |
+----+--------+--------+

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Surprised Mario Tennis is in 11th, it was basically their big advertised game for the Summer Season, got a global online test and is still getting characters, yet Kirby sold significantly better than it did (I know it was a March releaes VS. a June one, but then again, Kirby Vs. Mario). Any particular reason Mario Tennis Aces didn't break out like Super Mario Party did? I know the single player stuff was lacking, but the mechanics were solid.

Kirby has always been a bigger franchise, in terms of retail sales, than Mario Tennis (and, in general, than Mario sport games). Kirby was often a million seller on DS and it sold 800k+ on 3DS with Triple Deluxe.

Mario Tennis Aces already outsold Open on 3DS. Tennis on N64 sold 800k+ but that was more of an outlier than a trend. I think it's safe to say Mario Tennis Aces did break out. In fact, Super Mario Party is more in line with previous entries on successful Nintendo hardware.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the 24th day being in week 52 wasn't this week's drop but week 51 being weaker than usual.
If we compare the drops with a year with the same place for the days, we can use year 2012 and 3DS. (famitsu numbers)

Hardware
3DS Week 50, 2012 (10 Dec - 16 Dec) - 333.409
3DS Week 51, 2012 (17 Dec - 23 Dec) - 433.788 (+30%)
3DS Week 52, 2012 (24 Dec - 30 Dec) - 266.790 (-38%)

Hardware
Switch Week 50, 2018 (10 Dec - 16 Dec) - 285.513
Switch Week 51, 2018 (17 Dec - 23 Dec) - 300.661 (+5%)
Switch Week 52, 2018 (24 Dec - 30 Dec) - 186.806 (-38%)

The drop for week 52 for both systems is the same. It's just that Switch was basically flat in week 51, with a very small increase. We were expecting much more that week.
IMO you should add week 49 to the comparison, yes that is when Smash came out.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
23/30 titles and the top 5 are a solid block of [NSW]

Nintendo is a monster

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Mario Tennis is in 11th, it was basically their big advertised game for the Summer Season, got a global online test and is still getting characters as post-launch support, yet Kirby sold significantly better than it did (I know it was a March releaes VS. a June one, but then again, Kirby Vs. Mario). Any particular reason Mario Tennis Aces didn't break out like Super Mario Party did? I know the single player stuff was lacking, but the mechanics were solid. Similar situtation to Kirby Star Allies, solid mechanics, but had the issue of playing itself. Is it mainly due to difficulty in playing?

SMP and Kirby usually sell 2x or more than Mario Tennis.

think you're a bit mixed up.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SMP and Kirby usually sell 2x or more than Mario Tennis.

think you're a bit mixed up.

Hmm, I'm not surprised Party outsold Tennis, but I thought Tennis was outselling Kirby, turns out on 3DS, Kirby was just a bit higher (0.34 Mill Japan for Tennis VS 0.5 Mill Japan for Robobot, at least according to wiki, no numbers for Japan triple deluxe but probably safe to assume it was higher than Robobot due to releasing first).

Maybe I just thought Mario Tennis Aces would be higher because it was the game they were giving the most advertising to during the summer period last year.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I'm not surprised Party outsold Tennis, but I thought Tennis was outselling Kirby, turns out on 3DS, Kirby was just a bit higher (0.34 Mill Japan for Tennis VS 0.5 Mill Japan for Robobot, at least according to wiki, no numbers for Japan triple deluxe but probably safe to assume it was higher than Robobot due to releasing first).

Maybe I just thought Mario Tennis Aces would be higher because it was the game they were giving the most advertising to during the summer period last year.

Kirby Robobot was 622k at the end of 2017. It will be close to 700k LTD.

064./010. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700) - 105.820 / 622.821 (-80%)(144.846 <55,90%>)

Edit: Updated numbers from March 2018.

00./00. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.571) - * / 836.000
00./00. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700) - * / 634.000

Last edited:

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I noticed this last week but forgot to mention it, but:

DQB2 had the best opening of any 3rd party Switch game to date. That may not be saying much, but there also isn't much on the horizon that can beat it.

This week seals Pokemon's weak performance in Japan.
LOL. This is not the information you'd want to be making that claim. It sold only 500 unit less than UM/US last year. Maybe Media Create will be more favorable to your position.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they are interested, Switch is/will become the main platform for this game genre, obviously. But they probably used an old/bad engine that has no possibility to export to Switch. Only way around would be to port the game to another engine, but that would probably take to much time/costs.
A VN that can't run on an ARM/Nvidia combo takes some next level fuckery if they needed the ps4 to brute force it

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia

DQB2 had the best opening of any 3rd party Switch game to date. That may not be saying much, but there also isn't much on the horizon that can beat it.

LOL. This is not the information you'd want to be making that claim. It sold only 500 unit less than UM/US last year. Maybe Media Create will be more favorable to your position.
That game sold >2 million in 2017. This game is 750k below that, as the first Pokémon game on a console with much better software performance overall. It's not even a remotely questionable statement that Pokémon has underperformed in japan, where it'll be US/UM>>LGP/E, whilst the opposite occurs wordwide.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Just look at the overall numbers. Its not at all a controversial claim.
No one has been arguing overall numbers. Chris has been saying that LG's legs will be poor. These numbers don't support that claim. Despite its weak launch, it's legs have held up quite well against UM/US... which no one considers poor.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
No one has been arguing overall numbers. Chris has been saying that LG's legs will be poor. These numbers don't support that claim. Despite its weak launch, it's legs have held up quite well against UM/US... which no one considers poor.

I'll let Chris speak for himself, but I believe its more nuanced than that- he thought there was potential for Let's Go to show good legs and make up for the lackluster start. But it hasn't.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki Switch hardware numbers:
Week 50 309885
Week 51 311402
Week 52 199609
Week 1 247914 (!)
tenor.gif

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Smash keeps on smashing! Nice! Also, are the totals for Pokemon in line with the previous main entries? If so, should be a good sign for the upcoming one this year!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

Inazuma Eleven Ares and Yokai Watch 4 will open above that for 3rd parties. Nothing in the meantime unless something sneaks up and surprises us.