• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh? Now that's interesting. If there's truly DLC, then I wonder if it'll be paid or not.
Also screenshot from an alleged datamine scan

1nQyzkq.jpg

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Simple supply and demand curve, Let's Go is still doing better financially than the comparable 3ds entry, it's just not doing as superlative as some other Switch games.
As all other Switch games,actually. Let's Go is the outlier, not the other Switch titles. Its performance is simply weaker than that we are used to for Switch software by a good amount.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the performance of Lets Go not as it should be expected relatively to USUM?

The price of Switch and LetsGo is far higher then 3DS and USUM. Additionally the player base on Switch is smaller than those at 3DS when USUM released.

So normally it should be expected that LetsGo sells less, even so many Switch games tend to sell extraordinarily.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

The price of Switch and LetsGo is far higher then 3DS and USUM. Additionally the player base on Switch is smaller than those at 3DS when USUM released.

So normally it should be expected that LetsGo sells less, even so many Switch games tend to sell extraordinarily.
But why wouldn't the same apply to Smash,for example? The situation is as you describe. Nor have Kirby, MTA and MK8D seen this happen.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Lets Go is remake. it should be doing better than third version games of previous gen (US/UM) and outside of Japan it's doing way better than those.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
But why wouldn't the same apply to Smash,for example? The situation is as you describe. Nor have Kirby, MTA and MK8D seen this happen.
I think that a non negligible part of the potential market for Pokemon is much more price conscious than for many of the other games, and so is still not on the Switch.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep ignoring the Lets Go has a significantly higher price than USUM and other portable Pokémon titles? Unit sales aren't everything, despite how fixated ERA is on them.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't get why Let's Go should be compared to USUM in the first place.

In terms of console lifecycle XY is the most adequate comparison, while the game itself is comparable to ORAS. Let's Go in Japan is severely underperforming compared to both.

Sure it's doing almost as good as a third version released after the announcement of a next gen Pokémon game on 7 years old platform, but that's not a correct benchmark [and really I think it only highlights how strong the performance of USUM was considering the circumstances].

The game is also doing A LOT better in other territories, and Smash proves that there is a lot of potential for Switch software at this point of its life.

Let's go is not doing good in Japan, it's very much clear.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As all other Switch games,actually. Let's Go is the outlier, not the other Switch titles. Its performance is simply weaker than that we are used to for Switch software by a good amount.
Could be me, but isn't this the first real 3ds property that moved to Switch? That Switch does better than Wii U properties is something different and altogether less shocking.

The only other one I can think of is Monster Hunter Ultimate, which did worse than XX I think, but that was an up-port.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Maybe you just never liked Kanto to begin with?

I really gotta wonder if people like you complain whenever Super Mario Bros. gets re-released, because you're clearly not a fan of re-releases and remakes. Allow me to make a list for that game:

Super Mario Bros. NES
Vs. Super Mario Bros. Arcade
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. NES
Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt NES
Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt + World Class Track Meet NES
Super Mario Bros. Arcade (PlayChoice-10)
Super Mario All-Stars SNES
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World SNES
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe GBC
Animal Crossing GCN
Super Mario Bros. GBA
Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario All-Stars Wii
Super Mario Bros. 3DS
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe 3DS
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Vs. Super Mario Bros. Switch
Super Mario Bros. Switch

That's all I can think of for now. Yet you don't see people complaining about World 1-1 every time the game gets released...

What kind of nonsense is this? I wouldn't have bought Green if I didn't like the games. I have purchased the games many times, including Crystal last year and Pikachu the year or so before.

As to your last claim, I do not complain about Super Mario Bros. getting re-released, but many people do. I do not mind re-releases at all, remakes however, I think for the most part the original is the way to go.

If they DID decide to make nearly an exact copy of SMB but with polygons for the Switch, and the main new (few) feature is that instead of jumping on enemies you wave your hands, and then charged ¥6000 for it, and then if someone were to ask my opinion of it, I imagine it would be similar to my opinion of Let's Go.

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
Let's Go has failed to achieve expectations, that is obvious. Problem is, Nintendo Switch is too expensive and it is not reaching PART of an specific audience. The one that bought handhelds because they were cheaper. There is a reason why Nintendo only trusted in the handheld market for the Pokémon franchise to be a success.

Nintendo will have to address this issue throughout the year. Because if they don't, Pokémon 2019 and Animal Crossing won't achieve expectations either.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hey Chris and whoever feels like sharing their insights or simple opinions, why do you think Atlus is skipping Switch for Catherine Full Body? We know it's SEGA's Western division that is handling the PC port of the old release (sans Full Body content) coming out soon as Catherine Classic on Steam, but why would Atlus skip a Switch port of C:FB in this case? Just an engine problem of cost Vs. projected revenue while Vita already has the engine up and running? Or is there more to it?

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Let's Go has failed to achieve expectations, that is obvious. Problem is, Nintendo Switch is too expensive and it is not reaching PART of an specific audience. The one that bought handhelds because they were cheaper. There is a reason why Nintendo only trusted in the handheld market for the Pokémon franchise to be a success.

Nintendo will have to address this issue throughout the year. Because if they don't, Pokémon 2019 and Animal Crossing won't achieve expectations either.

Is this post for real?

Animal crossing and gen 8 will blow expectations out of the water ....

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's not the audience, it's the game. Most of my students (1st-6th) have got Switches over the past year and half. They are enjoying Smash over Let's Go.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that Let's Go is an inherently unappealing product, though, or else it wouldn't be doing as (relatively) well in the West as it is. There's some fundamental mismatch between the product and the available Japanese audience.

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
Is this post for real?

Animal crossing and gen 8 will blow expectations out of the water ....
The post is real, and please note that I am talking about Japan. Please let me know your expectations with those games so that by the end of the year we can see who was right.

Though I think that before those games are launched, Nintendo will release a cheaper model or will reduce the price of the console in Japan.

Best regards.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's not that Let's Go is an inherently unappealing product, though, or else it wouldn't be doing as (relatively) well in the West as it is. There's some fundamental mismatch between the product and the available Japanese audience.

Appeal is heavily determined by taste. I love natto, but I imagine most people here dislike it (or have never even tried it). It's not that Let's Go is unappealing, it is more appealing than 90% (made up number) of games released in Japan, it's just not as appealing as 8 will hopefully be, or more recent past Pokemon games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Is that confirmed (or people just assuming)? Not the PC port (it's been rated by ESRB), the lack of extra content. specifically. That's just dumb and extra weird (but then again, that's SEGA Europe for you).
It probably has less to do with Sega Europe and more that's all they were allowed to do

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

While you have a point about the price and I don't doubt Nintendo will address that with cheaper hardware this year, I don't think Pokémon Let's Go is seen as a failure given it's sold through most of its shipments – meaning it is probably roughly inline with expectations. Let's Go is also kind of a new affair which is shaping up to be an evergreen.

Also, just above every other Nintendo series entry is far outpacing its predecessors. 3d Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart (despite being a port), Smash, Mario Party, and Splatoon are tracking close to if not higher than their biggest prior entries. As with all of the above, Animal Crossing and Pokémon indeed serve a different demographic, but I would assume that Nintendo will continue to do its best to attract specific demographics as the time comes.

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
It's not the audience, it's the game. Most of my students (1st-6th) have got Switches over the past year and half. They are enjoying Smash over Let's Go.

Personal experience is always interesting to consider, but unfortunately it does not always prove anything. Are you a teacher in Japan?

Best regards.

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
While you have a point about the price and I don't doubt Nintendo will address that with cheaper hardware this year, I don't think Pokémon Let's Go is seen as a failure given it's sold through most of its shipments – meaning it is probably roughly inline with expectations. Let's Go is also kind of a new affair which is shaping up to be an evergreen.

Also, just above every other Nintendo series entry is far outpacing its predecessors. 3d Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart (despite being a port), Smash, Mario Party, and Splatoon are tracking close to if not higher than their biggest prior entries. As with all of the above, Animal Crossing and Pokémon indeed serve a different demographic, but I would assume that Nintendo will continue to do its best to attract specific demographics as the time comes.

I completely agree with you.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
People still making excuses for PLG.
1. It sold great, because it achieved x% of the userbase - Smash doubles it's number first week, sells much better.
2. It sold great as a remake - It's the worst selling remake/second version.
3. The audience isn't there because the Switch is too expensive - Many other games are selling great on it and setting records, same audience (I mean, are people really arguing that Zelda, Mario, Mario Party, Tennis, Kirby, etc are not for the same audience??? Ridiculous!)
4. The game is more expensive than previous games - It's selling great in the west, other games on Switch that are more expensive than their handheld/WiiU counterparts are selling great.

The problem with PLG is the game itself, no two ways around it. It's a game designed to pander to gen 1 nostalgia, it's a short single player RPG; the huge japanese used market will destroy it's legs completely. That doesn't happen in the west, were the used game market is not as big.

People that said this will be an evergreen in Japan were wrong, and us predicting it would under perform were right. PLG will be forgotten when gen 8 comes, and gen 8 will destroy PLG's sales.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Is that confirmed (or people just assuming)? Not the PC port (it's been rated by ESRB), the lack of extra content. specifically. That's just dumb and extra weird (but then again, that's SEGA Europe for you).
Frankly, if Valkyria Chronicles is any indication, I think that a rerelease of the original Catherine for $20 might have the potential to be a lot more successful than Full Body at $60. There always seem to be curiosity to try out a cult game on PC, but that doesn't necessarily translate to spending full price on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
The post is real, and please note that I am talking about Japan. Please let me know your expectations with those games so that by the end of the year we can see who was right.

Though I think that before those games are launched, Nintendo will release a cheaper model or will reduce the price of the console in Japan.

Best regards.

Uh. I'm good.

Lol...all I'm saying is. These games are going to be very very big games.

Mario kart broke records
Smash did
Donkey Kong did
Zelda did
Why wouldnt animal crossing and Pokemon gen 8 do the same, when they are Japan's biggest games....

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
People still making excuses for PLG.
1. It sold great, because it achieved x% of the userbase - Smash doubles it's number first week, sells much better.
2. It sold great as a remake - It's the worst selling remake/second version.
3. The audience isn't there because the Switch is too expensive - Many other games are selling great on it and setting records, same audience (I mean, are people really arguing that Zelda, Mario, Mario Party, Tennis, Kirby, etc are not for the same audience??? Ridiculous!)
4. The game is more expensive than previous games - It's selling great in the west, other games on Switch that are more expensive than their handheld/WiiU counterparts are selling great.

The problem with PLG is the game itself, no two ways around it. It's a game designed to pander to gen 1 nostalgia, it's a short single player RPG; the huge japanese used market will destroy it's legs completely. That doesn't happen in the west, were the used game market is not as big.

People that said this will be an evergreen in Japan were wrong, and us predicting it would under perform were right. PLG will be forgotten when gen 8 comes, and gen 8 will destroy PLG's sales.
The 4th point definitely impacted its sales, but it's not the only reason:
-It's a remake of an already remade game (GS, FRLG, HGSS)
-It tried to catter to the go crowd more than the regular pokémon fanbase, a crowd that is used to playing a free game: the 60$/99$ price point did not help its case for the go players, and the rest might not have been interested by the concept
-It's the first time (I think ?) the first mainline pokémon game on a console isn't a new gen: some people might be waiting for a proper new gen
-It has not been reviewed as well as other mainline pokémon games also iirc
Some other stuff probably, but yeah, it could have done better (after all, it's the first time since yellow that pikachu is on the cover of the box)

alcabcucu

Nov 12, 2017
I might be perfectly wrong, I admit that. It is possible that my expectations for Let's Go were too high. Never expected that it would reach 2 million before the end of the year, but certainly more than 1,5m.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The 4th point definitely impacted its sales, but it's not the only reason:
-It's a remake of an already remade game (GS, FRLG, HGSS)
-It tried to catter to the go crowd more than the regular pokémon fanbase, a crowd that is used to playing a free game: the 60$/99$ price point did not help its case for the go players, and the rest might not have been interested by the concept
-It's the first time (I think ?) the first mainline pokémon game on a console isn't a new gen: some people might be waiting for a proper new gen
-It has not been reviewed as well as other mainline pokémon games also iirc
Some other stuff probably, but yeah, it could have done better (after all, it's the first time since yellow that pikachu is on the cover of the box)
I don't think reviews are worse by any significant margin than other margins, but yeah,your points are all valid. It's the specific qualities of this game that made it do worse than even USUM, not the fact that it's Pokémon coming to console (-priced) hardware.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I might be perfectly wrong, I admit that. It is possible that my expectations for Let's Go were too high. Never expected that it would reach 2 million before the end of the year, but certainly more than 1,5m.

We need to wait for Data from Nintendo. But I believe many buyers for Ler's Go were "Non-traditional" Pokemon players.

So it would be a great news as this was the intended objective of Nintendo, to grow the core gamer user base thanks to initiatives like Pokemon Go.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep ignoring the Lets Go has a significantly higher price than USUM and other portable Pokémon titles? Unit sales aren't everything, despite how fixated ERA is on them.

Why do people keep ignoring the same is true for many other franchises, yet they are breaking records left and right?

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I know quite a few people who are really into Pokémon and still don't own a Nintendo Switch. PLG did not convince them to buy a Nintendo Switch - all of them are still playing USUM instead. They are though interested in the Pokémon gen 8 game, provided that it cointains new Pokémon and is more like USUM than PLG.

Also, quite interestingly, none of them play Pokémon GO. In fact, I don't know a single person who went from being a casual Pokémon GO player to spend money on a switch and PLG. Maybe some of you guys have heard such stories? In retrospect, I think it would have been smarter to put PLG on smartphones instead (followed up by remakes of past games in the same style) and in tandem develop more conventional Pokémon experiences on the Switch.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep ignoring the same is true for many other franchises, yet they are breaking records left and right?
It's a little more complicated as Pokémon was previously exclusively handheld, while Mario, Zelda, Smash, MK, Kirby, etc. all have home console releases so consumers aren't really paying more than past generations compared to Pokémon.

faint

Oct 27, 2017

Comparing LG to Gen 8 is silly. I'm a die-hard Pokemon fan with little to no interest in LG. There are many others like me.