• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Japanese home console revival didn't last long.
mjgrin.png

Soon enough we'll only have MonHun on home consoles.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if SE is happy with DQXI sales. What a weird release.

3 to 3.5 million in Japan is definitely not great when you consider that it released on two platforms and that both versions seemed to have a lot effort put into them, but you can't really ignore the fact that 3DS was past its prime by 2016 and the PS4 is what it is in Japan either.

A lot of it comes down to where Square Enix goes from here. If they play their cards right with the Switch version and the international release, sales approaching at least 5 million should be possible. I think that would be a good result overall.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
We don't have specifics and Kojima said he isn't legally allowed to talk about it.

If i had to guess i would say the long and expensive development cycle for MGS5 led to multiple scoldings of Kojima, and Kojima probably got sick of it and went off on them.

I think it had to do with Kojima getting way out of hand with his budget, and Konami getting fed up with it and becoming a bit too douchey about it.

It's weird to me they would even let the dude have free run with budgets at all. It seems like they let him have a long leash for way too long judging by MGS4 and MGS5.

Still. If those games were highly profitable they may have just fucked up losing him for nothing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically built on that engine.
Isn't it just that it's Unity? I know they went to a new support dev for it.

Adventures of Mana = MCF
Secret of Mana = Q Studio
Mana Collection = M2

This was their lineup for the current fiscal year on consoles:
  • Super Bomberman R, Nintendo Switch
  • Metal Gear Survive, PC, PS4 and Xbox One
  • PES 2018, PC, PS4 and Xbox One
PES is what it is and bombermans relative success was linked to the switch launch. With Metal Gear Survive bombing while announcing great profits at investor meetings Konami has been successfully transformed into a mobile gaming company.
Technically Super Bomberman R was last FY, and it did 500k then. Catalog sales are big though and Konami's continued support with a ton of post-dlc this FY.

Powapuro and Winning Eleven really need to get Switch prioritization asap. I think a MGSV Switch port would still do pretty well too globally.

Konami would be better off selling the Metal Gear IP at this point. It's still a valuable IP, just not for them.
There's still things they could do that would probably be well recieved. A Bluepoint MGS1 remake or Platinum on Rising 2 for example. Survive just seemed misjudged from the outset even though it's from the remaining series vets.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
With Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 Konami dropped PS3 and left Switch out.

We'll see how much this will affect sales comparing to 2016.

It's PS4/PSV big release for Golden Week.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
3 to 3.5 million in Japan is definitely not great when you consider that it released on two platforms and that both versions seemed to have a lot effort put into them, but you can't really ignore the fact that 3DS was past its prime by 2016 and the PS4 is what it is in Japan either.

A lot of it comes down to where Square Enix goes from here. If they play their cards right with the Switch version and the international release, sales approaching at least 5 million should be possible. I think that would be a good result overall.
If thé game was 3ds only it would havé probably done 3 millions

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Basically Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 is the only PS4 title that has a chance to go over 200k, with maybe Hokuto ga Gotoku.

There isn't anything big on horizon coming soon until Kingdom Hearts III or other undated titles.

edit: And 3DS is literally dead, the only relative title is Detective Pikachu which is an updated retail version of 2016 eShop release.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If thé game was 3ds only it would havé probably done 3 millions

3DS only with the exact same release date? Probably. Maybe even lower. But 3DS only releases in 2017 and 2018 are dumb and will continhe to be dumb. Should have released it earlier if they were gonna go exclusive.

I suspect that will prove to be a dumb move.

Totally gonna be dumb. They're lack of Switch integration into their pipeline is baffling.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3DS only with the exact same release date? Probably. Maybe even lower. But 3DS only releases in 2017 and 2018 are dumb and will continhe to be dumb. Should have released it earlier if they were gonna go exclusive.

I think the Switch version being a year later at the very least is also a massive mistake. I bet a lot of people initially held off on the 3DS/PS4 versions expecting the Switch version to release shortly after and have since bought the game used.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Can't say i did not expect that bomb for Metal Gear... If anyone think sales will be better outside of west will be disappoint.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Switch version being a year later at the very least is also a massive mistake. I bet a lot of people initially held off on the 3DS/PS4 versions expecting the Switch version to release shortly after and have since bought the game used.

The main reason for someone to wait for the Switch version would the possibility of having the PS4 version on Switch, either because they want to play that version on a handheld or because they don't own a PS4 to begin with. I think the Switch version could still be appealing to that crowd, even a year later, assuming that it's a good port with some notable enhancements and/or additions.

With that said, not releasing the game at the end of 2017 does seem like a missed opportunity, given how well Switch software was selling and the lack of third party competition on Switch.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it realisticly possible yet to predict how Nintendo Labo will do in Japan? Or is a wait and see approach better?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it realisticly possible yet to predict how Nintendo Labo will do in Japan? Or is a wait and see approach better?

There's not really any comparable product to look at and compare its sales with.

The good news is that both the switch and the nintendo brand are very strong right now, if there is ever a time for something like labo to succeed its now.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
What were the expectations for this remake anyway? How much did the the Adventure of Mana remake sell?

Did Adventures of Mana even receive a physical version? It was digital only I think.

The Secret of Mana remake has been compared to I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear in terms of development resources, so maybe the expectations are similar?

Lost Sphear only sold about 13 000 units on the two platforms it was released on, with 5 770 units sold for the Nintendo Switch version.

In comparison, Tokyo RPG Factory's previous game, I am Setsuna, sold 33 629 units during its launch week… on PlayStation 4 only. If you add sales from the PS Vita version, you end up with 61 000 units sold. As you can see, to say that Lost Sphear didn't sell quite as much as its predecessor would be quite the understatement.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-week-40-2017-october-9th-15th/

So which will Secret of Mana remake be, Setsuna or Lost Sphear?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World < 55k (average 50k) [week 5]
02. [PS4] Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match < 40k (average 35k) [week 1]
03. [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal < 35k (average 30k) [week 1]
00. [PS4] Metal Gear Survive < 25k [week 1]

Hey maybe they'll port the remake of the 3DS SK game on Switch after those PS4 sales...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The main reason for someone to wait for the Switch version would the possibility of having the PS4 version on Switch, either because they want to play that version on a handheld or because they don't own a PS4 to begin with. I think the Switch version could still be appealing to that crowd, even a year later, assuming that it's a good port with some notable enhancements and/or additions.

With that said, not releasing the game at the end of 2017 does seem like a missed opportunity, given how well Switch software was selling and the lack of third party competition on Switch.
Well I imagine if you owned a Switch in August you probably would have preferred to get the Switch version, but with how long its taken you probably would have just picked up a used copy of one of the other versions.
Hey maybe they'll port the remake of the 3DS SK game on Switch after those PS4 sales...

Considering it's a remake of a rerelease of the original game I don't think that's too bad.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's not bad for an HD remaster of a rerelease of Senran Kagura. It's not unlikely that they will port the game to NSW but this will have nothing to do with sales (assuming YSO prediction is accurate).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Considering it's a remake of a rerelease of the original game I don't think that's too bad.
That's not bad for an HD remaster of a rerelease of Senran Kagura. It's not unlikely that they will port the game to NSW but this will have nothing to do with sales (assuming YSO prediction is accurate).

It's a remake (not an HD remaster) that seems to have a budget about as big as Estival Versus, but releasing as a PS4 exclusive (not even a Vita port). It obviously was too late to make a Switch port when they announced it (especially for a february release), but it's just disappointing to see how they're handling that franchise, when you look at the Switch games, the lack of handheld ports, and the PS4 exclusivity (followed by a PC port one year later).
I said that more as a joke after the weird screenshots of that new PS4 Fate game with a Switch/PC UI (despite not being announced for those platforms yet), and how Marvelous is going for double-dip for more platforms now...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a remake (not an HD remaster) that seems to have a budget about as big as Estival Versus, but releasing as a PS4 exclusive (not even a Vita port). It obviously was too late to make a Switch port when they announced it (especially for a february release), but it's just disappointing to see how they're handling that franchise, when you look at the Switch games, the lack of handheld ports, and the PS4 exclusivity (followed by a PC port one year later).
I said that more as a joke after the weird screenshots of that new PS4 Fate game with a Switch/PC UI (despite not being announced for those platforms yet), and how Marvelous is going for double-dip for more platforms now...

Wait, what?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It was made abundantly clear that mainline SK games weren't going to the Switch.

Eh I get that that they didn't have time to announce a Switch version of the remake but they had all the time in the world to announce SK 7 on it and they didn't. Switch isn't part of their plan, unless it's a cheap mini game.

Oct 26, 2017
MGS Survive and DW9 are complete garbage and Secret of Mana managed to get a 30/40 from Famitsu (translated, this is a 2/10).

I don't think we should mourn these terrible or cash grab games bombing terribly.

MGS Survive was a blatant attempt to profit off the work of people Konami abused and fired and I'm glad it's a huge failure.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see how well the Western release of DQXI does. I don't think any DQ game released in the West since DQIX has performed particularly well so I imagine they expect 2m at least. Also watch it be Nintendo exclusive
on 3DS.

Frankie_baby

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see how well the Western release of DQXI does. I don't think any DQ game released in the West since DQIX has performed particularly well so I imagine they expect 2m at least. Also watch it be Nintendo exclusive
on 3DS.

To be fair there has been no new mainline DQ games released in the West since DQ9

Oct 25, 2017
MGS Survive and DW9 are complete garbage and Secret of Mana managed to get a 30/40 from Famitsu (translated, this is a 2/10).

I don't think we should mourn these terrible or cash grab games bombing terribly.

MGS Survive was a blatant attempt to profit off the work of people Konami abused and fired and I'm glad it's a huge failure.
I guess, just wish better for these devs/publishers.
MGS could still do well if done properly and I've wanted DW/musou to change for awhile. Hope they get that right eventually

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Did Adventures of Mana even receive a physical version? It was digital only I think.

The Secret of Mana remake has been compared to I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear in terms of development resources, so maybe the expectations are similar?
Yeah, maybe it only existed as a download version. I wasnt 100% sure earlier for Japan, but i think you're right. Then it would be hard to know unless Square Enix publish the numbers.

No idea about expectations. I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear were brand new games, but Secret of Mana is a classic, so its hard to say :)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Still these are not bad sales for a game that barely sold 100k back on 3DS.

But it's a remake with new gameplay and new contents; it's not a HD remaster.

It's also true that SK is more on PS platforms as shown by sales on PS3, PSV and PS4 as well. Peach Beach Splash opened at 50k. I was more expecting these figures for a mainline entry, though a remake.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It was made abundantly clear that mainline SK games weren't going to the Switch.

Eh I get that that they didn't have time to announce a Switch version of the remake but they had all the time in the world to announce SK 7 on it and they didn't. Switch isn't part of their plan, unless it's a cheap mini game.

Market realities for small to mid tier pubs will present itself eventually.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

This person speaks the truth.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code:
Week 6 2018:

Switch HW - 43.404(-11%)
Switch SW - 133.589(-16%)

Splatoon 2 - 23K(-9%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 19K(-10%)
Mario + Rabbids - 15K(-26%)
Super Mario Odyssey - 13K(-13%)
Zelda:BotW - 12K(-5%)

Code:
Week 6 2012:
3DS HW - 67.558(-10%)
3DS SW - 103.842(-23%)

Resident Evil: Revelations - 26K(-40%)
Mario Kart 7 - 23K(-11%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 21K(-12%)
Super Mario 3D Land - 19K(-14%)
Inazuma Eleven Go - 7K(-21%)

Code:
Week 7 2012:
3DS HW - 94.667(+40%)
3DS SW - 274.972(+164%)

New Love Plus - 104K(new)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 67K(new)
Mario Kart 7 - 22K(-7%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 17K(-18%)
Super Mario 3D Land - 17K(-10%)
Resident Evil: Revelations - 15K(-40%)
Inazuma Eleven Go - 6K(-12%)

Week 6 Hardware remained disappointing for the Switch, hopefully things change in Week 7 in terms of supply. Online availability on most retailers make this week's COMG and retailer rankings extremely interesting this week.

In terms of the comparison to 2012, this week Switch was keeping itself slightly ahead in terms of software but continues to lose ground to 3DS in terms of hardware sales.
I think we should expect around >175K software sales next week because I feel we would see a boost to existing software due to larger hardware week and Bayonetta launching.
In the upcoming weeks 3DS doesn't really have a major title that could be compared to Kirby. Overall there were 11 3DS titles that launched in the first half of 2012 that sold over 100K.

Code:
Notable 3DS releases first half of 2012(>100K)
Week 4: Resident Evil: Revelations - 146K | >251K
Week 7: New Love Plus - 104K | >113K
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 67K | >112K
Week 8: Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin - 81K | >165K
Week 9: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 - 43K | >167K
Week 10: Hatsune Miku and Future Stars - 86K | >132K
Week 12: Kid Icarus: Uprising - 132K | >287K
Week 13: Kingdom Hearts 3D - 213K | >311K
Week 16: Fire Emblem: Awakening - 242K | >417K
Week 21: Mario Tennis Open - 101K | >209K
Week 22: Dragon Quest Monsters - 513K | >766K

5 Titles with >100K - New Love Plus, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012, Hatsune Miku and Future Stars
3 Titles with >200K - Resident Evil: Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Tennis Open
1 Title with >300K - Kingdom Hearts 3D
1 Title with >400K - Fire Emblem: Awakening
1 Title with >700K - Dragon Quest Monsters

In terms of the Switch I think we have Mario + Rabbids, Dragon Quest Builders, Kirby Star Allies, Hyrule Warriors, Snack World, Labo Variety, Labo Robot, Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Tennis Aces which could all potentially sell over >100K by the middle of the year. Personally I would predict that we will end up seeing these titles perform slightly better than what happened in 2012 on the 3DS because there is less competition on other hardware, since the only competition Switch has in Japan is the PS4 compared to the 3DS which saw competition even from DS due to some major launches on that system in 2012. I also think Labo's combined total by mid year in Japan will be over >1M
>700K
- Kirby
>400K - Labo Variety, Labo Robot
>300K - Mario Tennis Aces*, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario + Rabbids
>200K - Dragon Quest Builders
>100K - Dark Souls Remastered, Hyrule Warriors, The Snack World
*I think Mario Tennis Aces will probably launch before Week 26

There is also a few question marks regarding Nintendo and 3rd party schedules, I still expect that Mario Tennis Aces and one other major title to launch before mid year. Also there are titles that could potentially get to 100K if they have great legs even if their openings are underwhelming. Overall due to Labo and Kirby I expect in terms of new titles software on the Switch to continue outperforming 3DS's 2012 sales. In terms of the evergreen titles Switch's current evergreens are performing as well as MK7/MH3G/SM3DL and should perform even better if hardware sales rise considerably in the upcoming weeks due to Kirby/Labo launches.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

I agree with you, I was just talking about how the SK situation is not really a great move for Marvelous, nor is this franchise well managed.
If they want to switch gears (like they did for some other games), it's still possible for SK7 but not for Burst Re (unless it'll get a port at the same time as the PC port in a good year).
I don't really see it happening due to how Takaki thinks sadly though (I'm saying "sadly" because I like the franchise, but not the direction it has taken since EV).

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's a remake with new gameplay and new contents; it's not a HD remaster.

Exactly it's a remake, not a new original game.

It's also true that SK is more on PS platforms as shown by sales on PS3, PSV and PS4 as well. Peach Beach Splash opened at 50k. I was more expecting these figures for a mainline entry, though a remake.

Peach Beach Splash is a new original game, not a remake or a remaster. Assuming the YSO prediction is correct, it will open 15k lower than the first SK game and around half of the Burst edition. That's not bad for a remake, especially for the franchise we are talking about but if you think it's bad then post some examples of some recent remakes to compare.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's weird to me they would even let the dude have free run with budgets at all. It seems like they let him have a long leash for way too long judging by MGS4 and MGS5.

Still. If those games were highly profitable they may have just fucked up losing him for nothing.

MGS made Konami a lot of money. Kojima also worked on the FOX engine between MGS4 and MGSV.

It just seems like Konami wanted to dial down on their gaming division which went against Kojima's extravagence of stuffing his game with minor details and hype cycles spanning years.

MGSV didn't need all that extra fluff like licensed songs or cake scenes for your birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.