• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
MGS made Konami a lot of money. Kojima also worked on the FOX engine between MGS4 and MGSV.

It just seems like Konami wanted to dial down on their gaming division which went against Kojima's extravagence of stuffing his game with minor details and hype cycles spanning years.

MGSV didn't need all that extra fluff like licensed songs or cake scenes for your birthday.

Konami didn't need to blackball their former employees and put them under ridiculous NDAs.

They're an awful gambling company and I'm very glad they're about to produce the biggest bomb of 2018.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Senran Kagura series got a boost when the anime started and launching around the same time as the Slim Vita(iirc) and that has worn off as shown by recent releases. Those Renewal predictions don't look good at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this anger that they stopped making AAA games, or do you actually have a problem with their business practices and ventures in Japan?

I do have a problem with Konami's practices and ventures.

... I clearly don't want them to make AAA games anymore based on my posts so I'm confused about why you would even have that interpretation.

This company is just terrible.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...cused-of-blacklisting-former-employees-report

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami didn't need to blackball their former employees and put them under ridiculous NDAs.

They're an awful gambling company and I'm very glad they're about to produce the biggest bomb of 2018.

Most of their money don't come from gambling but from their Digital Division with mobile and video games.

And I doubt that Survive will be the biggest bomb of 2018 and even if it bombs, it will affect Konami in that way. It doesn't even seem like a title trying anything.

... I clearly don't want them to make AAA games anymore based on my posts so I'm confused about why you would even have that interpretation.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...cused-of-blacklisting-former-employees-report

And so are a bunch of other companies in Japan, including some loved here.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Feb 12 - Feb 18)

DWMwfsNUQAEIMvy.jpg

01/02 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World (normal edition) - 84 pt (-135 pt)
02/ N [PS4] Seiken Densetsu 2 Secret of Mana - 67 pt
03/ N [PSV] Seiken Densetsu 2 Secret of Mana - 34 pt

04/05 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 24 pt (-12 pt)
05/01 [PS4] Shin Sangoku Musou 8 (normal edition) - 23 pt (-204 pt)
06/12 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 21 pt (+7 pt)
07/03 [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (normal edition) - 19 pt (-112 pt)
08/ N [NSW] Bayonetta Climax edition - 15 pt
09/ N [PS4] A Certain Magical Virtual-On (normal version) - 14 pt

10/08 [NSW] Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle - 12 pt (-7 pt)
11/ N [PSV] A Certain Magical Virtual-On (normal version) - 11 pt
12/11 [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 11 pt (-3 pt)
13/14 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 11 pt (-2 pt)
14/15 [3DS] Mario Party 100 Mini Game Collection - 10 pt (+1 pt)
15/04 [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (limited edition) - 9 pt (-62 pt)
16/ N [NSW] Bayonetta 2 - 8 pt
17/ R [NSW] ARMS - 8 pt
18/07 [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ - 7 pt (-13 pt)
19/10 [NSW] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 7 pt (-7 pt)
20/ N [PSV] A Certain Magical Virtual-On (limited edition) - 6 pt

NSW: 9
PS4: 8
PSV: 3

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Feb 05 - Feb 11)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4428570/

Second-hand Week Sales, 2018 (Feb 12 - Feb 18)
01/01 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World (Normal Edition) - 13 pt (-6 pt)
02/07 [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 11 pt (+4 pt)
03/03 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10 pt (+2 pt)
04/06 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 9 pt (-3 pt)
05/11 [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 7 pt (+2 pt)
06/ R [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6 pt
07/08 [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. - 6 pt (-1 pt)
08/03 [3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 6 pt (-4 pt)
09/ R [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Sangokushi - 5 pt
10/10 [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Moon - 5 pt (=)
11/16 [PS4] Earth Defense Force 5 - 5 pt (+1 pt)
12/05 [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross - 5 pt (-3 pt)
13/09 [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 5 pt (-1 pt)
14/12 [PS4] Call of Duty World War II - 5 pt (=)
15/ R [3DS] Pokemon Sun - 4 pt
16/15 [PS4] Dissidia: FINAL FANTASY NT - 4 pt (=)
17/02 [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 4 pt (-8 pt)
18/ F [PS4] Shin Sangoku Musou 8 (normal edition) - 4 pt
19/ R [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters White Dog Squad - 3 pt
20/17 [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 2 - 3 pt (=)

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bad feeling about Bayonetta 2 in Japan.

I have a great feeling about Bayonetta 2 in the west though.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Bayonetta 2 doesn't seem to be doing as well as I had hoped in Japan. Although part of that might be the way they've gone about releasing it.

Hopefully it's still able to outsell the Wii U version at some point.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Exactly it's a remake, not a new original game.

Peach Beach Splash is a new original game, not a remake or a remaster. Assuming the YSO prediction is correct, it will open 15k lower than the first SK game and around half of the Burst edition. That's not bad for a remake, especially for the franchise we are talking about but if you think it's bad then post some examples of some recent remakes to compare.

Peach Beach Splash is a spin-off, though. It's basically a shooter. Story-wise is not relevant.

The fact that it's a remake is important to take into account but I was thinking that having SK found a bigger success on Sony platforms the original game (which was released now 3DS) might have been considered as a new game by many—those that have started buying SK on Sony platforms. I didn't expect a huge differential from YSO predictions but I thought it could have done at least as well as the spinoff.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Bayonetta 2 we are probably looking at a Skyrim like debut with 5-10K additional sales due to the Climax Edition.

I'm surprised majority of Switch titles went down this week except MK8D, was expecting them to rise due to greater hardware availability but it doesn't seem that has materialized at COMG.

Frankie_baby

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
For Bayonetta 2 we are probably looking at a Skyrim like debut with 5-10K additional sales due to the Climax Edition.

I'm surprised majority of Switch titles went down this week except MK8D, was expecting them to rise due to greater hardware availability but it doesn't seem that has materialized at COMG.

If comg has had a bad week for hardware and everywhere else has had a better week it's possible bayonetta may have performed at least a little better than these numbers suggest, we will have to see though

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Small notice: COMG's Weekly orders for Bayonetta 2 Climax Edition are identical to the preorders, which is usually a result of an item being supply limited (which fits with the reports about CE's preorders being limited).

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I felt it was a valid interpretation since many people overcorrect their feelings about something when they are a fan and it goes in a different undesired direction.

As to their practice of backlisting many software companies, as well as companies in other industries do it here. It's a shitty practice, but if you have a position where you basically get to keep a job at the company no matter what until retirement, and somehow mess that up and turn it into a bad situation, what else are they supposed to say to another company inquiring about your past other than you were a bad employee? It's different than many other countries, but it's the reality of working for super big companies in Japan (Not talking about part time jobs, no-one gets blacklisted for breaking ties there)
I imagine there would be absolutely no mention or care of it if it weren't for Kojima being the one who supposedly got blacklisted.

Sorry, I had just assumed you were a Kojima/MGS fan prior to the allegations of blacklisting.

Last edited:

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017

They have nice offices at Roppongi Hills though, not too bad being a janitor there...

In all seriousness though you should look at the company records, they make double the money in health and fitness than the whole gaming and system sector where their slot stuff is. They are not a gambling company. Besides in games they are basically a mobile company, the MGS bomb is like a super small blimp on their radar. That doesn't mean they don't do scummy stuff though, like pretty much any big company. Not to excuse it, Konami gets a lot of flak for the right reasons but people tend to judge other companies a lot less sharply (probably bc they basically killed their classic game development).

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! orders, first week

[WIIU] Bayonetta 2 (2014.09.20) - 30 pt (2 days)
[NSW] Bayonetta 2 (8 pt) + Climax edition (15 pt) - 23 pt (2 days)

M-C
03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 38.828 / NEW <67,29%>

FAM
03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 33.114 / NEW <40-60%>

DGK
03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} - 28.825 / NEW <55%>

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Can't post the chart yet but yeah, Bayo in Japan bombed, no matter if is COMG or not, the general performance were supposed to be better. We'll see how things go in the west tho, i think UK performance will be disappint as well, but the rest of Europe and USA should have great news.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peach Beach Splash is a spin-off, though. It's basically a shooter. Story-wise is not relevant.

Still it's a brand new game in the franchise. It's gerne is also very popular in Japan through the last years. Story-wise the remake shouldn't be brand new either considering most of the fanbase knows what's up, even if they not played game before. Shinovi Versus happens 6 months after Burst and Estival is a sequel to Shinovi Versus although the franchise has become something like a multiverse. Without getting into many spoilers here, the chronological order is this

Skirting Shadows/Hanzo Burst -> Senran Kagura 2
Skirting Shadows/Burst -> Shinovi Versus -> Estival Versus

The fact that it's a remake is important to take into account but I was thinking that having SK found a bigger success on Sony platforms the original game (which was released now 3DS) might have been considered as a new game by many—those that have started buying SK on Sony platforms. I didn't expect a huge differential from YSO predictions but I thought it could have done at least as well as the spinoff.

That's a valid point that should be taken into consideration. Game was never on a Sony platform before so decent sales should be expected. Personally i was expecting a 40k debut and it doesn't seem it launch far from that and i was sure it would have a bigger FW compared to the PS4 version of Estival Versus.

Anyway, no point talking much about a YSO prediction. In 3 days we will have actual numbers, so we can repeat this conversation with actual data this time.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Senran is in line with Peach Splash. Thats fine considering its not a new entry.
Lmao at MGS.

Basically Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 is the only PS4 title that has a chance to go over 200k, with maybe Hokuto ga Gotoku.

There isn't anything big on horizon coming soon until Kingdom Hearts III or other undated titles.

edit: And 3DS is literally dead, the only relative title is Detective Pikachu which is an updated retail version of 2016 eShop release.

RDR2, COD, Yakuza Project, OP World Seeker, DMC5 if rumours are true, Gran Blue Fantasy and DQB2.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Can't post the chart yet but yeah, Bayo in Japan bombed, no matter if is COMG or not, the general performance were supposed to be better. We'll see how things go in the west tho, i think UK performance will be disappint as well, but the rest of Europe and USA should have great news.

About UK performance, we will see tomorrow.
If someone like nocturnal can ask Christopher Dring about Bayo 2 approximate sale number just to have a comparison with Xenoblade 2 14K FW in UK.
Perhaps not number but how it performs in comparison with Xenoblade 2.

Lets hope that Bayo 2 will be saved outside Japan. Amazon pre-orders gives hope.
Even on amazon Japan, it performed better this week-end than the days before.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
New Senran is in line with Peach Splash. Thats fine considering its not a new entry.

You should wait for actual sales numbers before jumping the gun on basing a game's sales performance on a prediction:

YSO predictions

03. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet < 125k (average 115k) [week 1]

SAO has a great opening there, nearly matching both PSV/4 versions of the previous instalment. Seems like they've transitioned from PSV well.

MC:

03./00. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.08} (¥8.200) - 75.623 / NEW

Famitsu:

03./00. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.08} (¥8.200) - 81.219 / NEW <60-80%>

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The cheaper way to get Bayo1&2 in Japan is to buy both games digitally. I am then expecting a higher digital ratio for the games.

Slow start indeed but it should outsell the WiiU versions thanks to digital sales and, hopefully, decent legs.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't think Bayonetta bombed in Japan, I think Nintendo sold all the copies they wanted to, which was not many. That's why scalpers can charge 16000¥ for the climax edition and Amazon reviews saying how unlucky the reviewer was being unable to reserve a copy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
MGS made Konami a lot of money. Kojima also worked on the FOX engine between MGS4 and MGSV.

It just seems like Konami wanted to dial down on their gaming division which went against Kojima's extravagence of stuffing his game with minor details and hype cycles spanning years.

MGSV didn't need all that extra fluff like licensed songs or cake scenes for your birthday.

Sure but the whole drama of the ordeal makes me think there is more to it. "we want your budgets leaner so prioritize what's important," shouldn't cause the shit storm drama that the whole thing became.

Most companies have their employees under NDAs. Don't get what you're talking about.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Still it's a brand new game in the franchise. It's gerne is also very popular in Japan through the last years. Story-wise the remake shouldn't be brand new either considering most of the fanbase knows what's up, even if they not played game before. Shinovi Versus happens 6 months after Burst and Estival is a sequel to Shinovi Versus although the franchise has become something like a multiverse. Without getting into many spoilers here, the chronological order is this

Skirting Shadows/Hanzo Burst -> Senran Kagura 2
Skirting Shadows/Burst -> Shinovi Versus -> Estival Versus

That's a valid point that should be taken into consideration. Game was never on a Sony platform before so decent sales should be expected. Personally i was expecting a 40k debut and it doesn't seem it launch far from that and i was sure it would have a bigger FW compared to the PS4 version of Estival Versus.

Anyway, no point talking much about a YSO prediction. In 3 days we will have actual numbers, so we can repeat this conversation with actual data this time.

Lmao at MGS.

RDR2, COD, Yakuza Project, OP World Seeker, DMC5 if rumours are true, Gran Blue Fantasy and DQB2.
I wouldn't say being in line with Peach Splash(which it probably won't be) or EV PS4 is a good thing.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Sure but the whole drama of the ordeal makes me think there is more to it. "we want your budgets leaner so prioritize what's important," shouldn't cause the shit storm drama that the whole thing became.
it's not only about Kojima. I mean, what other employees have to do with that ^ ? Because:

Nikkei reports that employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.

That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren't there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of Konami's own employees.

That most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. (Note: Konami employee emails are typically a few letters followed by a string of numbers, but this random email changing has been going on at Konami for years. A while back, one Konami employee told me this was done to prevent headhunting. Over the years, I have seen developers with company email addresses, but this might have changed recently.)

That Konami game developers who aren't seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company's fitness clubs or roles at a pachi-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles. In 2013, Asahi News, one of Japan's largest newspapers, ran an interview with a former Konami staffer who allegedly went from game development to working in Konami's pachi-slot factory, causing him to experience severe depression.

That one former employee, upon announcing on Facebook that they were leaving Konami and had got a new job elsewhere, had their post monitored. Nikkei says remaining Konami staff who "liked" the post were all reshuffled within the company.

also, Metal Gear Survive development time (more than 2,5 years with already created engine) showed that problem is still within Konami.

Last edited:

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most Japanese companies cannot fire permanent employees without getting sued, short of that employee doing something criminal, this is a relic of the very militant union movement of the 50-60s and the competition for workers in the 80s, this is why tactics like this evolved to get rid of unwanted employees.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
CyGames released their newest title, "Princess Connect! Re:Dive", which is currently soaring up the charts to #5 top grossing.

I skimmed a video of the first hour, which seemed to consist of about two minutes of RPG battle, and one hour of voiced cutscenes, so I'll say it's probably going for that Fate audience.

The Asagi game Nippon Ichi licensed out to another company (to be clear, the other company is the publisher, not Nippon Ichi) is having a reasonable start with decidedly good reviews. It's a bit early to make any calls there, as it basically just came out, but that could could bring in some reasonable licensing revenue for Nippon Ichi, especially relative to their scale.

ForwardWorks' (Sony's) newest game is getting a gazillion downloads, exceptionally good reviews, and making very modest amounts of money, as is ForwardWorks' brand identity.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I have a bad feeling about Bayonetta 2 in Japan.

I have a great feeling about Bayonetta 2 in the west though.

Nintendo didn't even give it a chance. The edition that the Bayonetta fans wanted with 2 physical carts was sold out months ago. I personally know 3 people who would have bought it if the could.

I lucked out and got one off Amazon [been playing Bayo1 off a CART, all morning] but the day after I reserved it it was sold out. And as far as I can tell it never went back in stock for any long period of time.

So the mail options available to Japanese customers were:

1. Bayo 2 with no digital code and mostly full game price.
2. Buying both digitally which cost almost as much as the Climax Edition
3. Paying a scalper the crazy price to get the sold out set.
or
4. Just freaking skipping it altogether.

My friends chose 4. And I think that will be the popular option.

Bayonetta is not a mainstream series in Japan. There is a devoted but very limited fan base. And they are likely collectors. To release so few copies of the most desirable version is crazy.

Or maybe I'm just mad. The Climax Edition is so beautiful, I wish more people could get their hands on it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Those SD2 retail rankings are pretty good, seems like it did okay. More Setsuna and less Sphear.

Another week or two and DBXV2 Switch should be ahead of DBFZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.