• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 2 was always going to be an irrelevant release in Japan but I thought it would be doing a bit more than a mere 20k.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Bayonetta 2 at 20K is very bad, not much to say.

We'll see if digital is good, and mostly if legs will be long, anythink under Wii U lifetime will be bad.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Were people expecting Bayonetta to outsell the WiiU version's first week? None of the WiiU ports did that, not even MK8D. I think expecting more than 33k was always unrealistic. I want to see its legs and if it can sell beyond the 80k of the WiiU version before saying anything like it doesn't have an audience (of course, we can confidently say that Bayonetta is a niche release, it has been since inception. I wouldn't expect much more than 1 million from Bayo 3 either, for example).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
So any guesstimate on how much MHW and PS4 has done this week? Is it still above 100k and PS4 still above Switch?
i mean we'll know fairly soon.

Unless switch got a bump, I'll assume ps4 is still higher

Were people expecting Bayonetta to outsell the WiiU version's first week? None of the WiiU ports did that, not even MK8D. I think expecting more than 33k was always unrealistic. I want to see its legs and if it can sell beyond the 80k of the WiiU version before saying anything like it doesn't have an audience (of course, we can confidently say that Bayonetta is a niche release, it has been since inception. I wouldn't expect much more than 1 million from Bayo 3 either, for example).
pokken didn't either right.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So any guesstimate on how much MHW and PS4 has done this week? Is it still above 100k and PS4 still above Switch?
On the latter: yes, I think PS4'll be a hair ahead of Switch (50k vs. 45k or something like that). On the former: yes for MC, no for Famitsu and Dengeki.

i mean we'll know fairly soon.

Unless switch got a bump, I'll assume ps4 is still higher

pokken didn't either right.
I think it opened around half of the WiiU game.

Edit: I was wrong:
Code:
01./00. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 69.675 / NEW <36,65%>

01./00. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980) - 53.395 / NEW <41,39%>
Still a sizeable difference, of course, and Pokken Switch is still selling rather briskly, so it could end up at over twice the LTD (i.e. a little over 300k) if it holds steady.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm quite interested in seeing how M+R fared this week. It had a very mild drop in the week before last, but then that week after it had the same drop, so it'll be interesting to see if it drops further still or will hold steady around this level in the next report.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
On the latter: yes, I think PS4'll be a hair ahead of Switch (50k vs. 45k or something like that). On the former: yes for MC, no for Famitsu and Dengeki.

I think it opened around half of the WiiU game.
wow. unless they mess it up, I wonder if a potential Pokken 2 will do 500k or even more.
with the framework laid, they could improve the content.
I'm guessing 2020.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe SEGA was right to drop Bayo, I always thought that Bayo as a character was a hard sell (sexy-wacky bizzaro gigantes with demonic hair).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you guys really expect legs from Bayonetta though? Somehow I don't see it happening. Maybe 50k LTD.
I expect it to have better legs than the WiiU release. WiiU version did 80k in the end, so a 2.4x multiplier. Switch version should be able to do better, maybe a 4x multiplier or more? That should put it at around the WiiU version or above it.

That's pure speculation, of course, and we'll need to see how it sells in the weeks to come to verify.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe SEGA was right to drop Bayo, I always thought that Bayo as a character was a hard sell (sexy-wacky bizzaro gigantes with demonic hair).

a bit early to know

The data we currently have is a similar/ lesser opening in the UK depending on digital.
and 20k retail in japan.
and eshop rankings. Bayo 1 is #1 atm in the US, and Bayo 2 is #3.

that's all we got.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I expect it to have better legs than the WiiU release. WiiU version did 80k in the end, so a 2.4x multiplier. Switch version should be able to do better, maybe a 4x multiplier or more? That should put it at around the WiiU version or above it.

That's pure speculation, of course, and we'll need to see how it sells in the weeks to come to verify.

We also need to see digital sales, Bayonetta 2 Wii U only did like 3K or so.

Bayonetts 2 Switch should be able to beat that by a good margin.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There is more potential in the franchise than what it has done on WiiU. The Switch version legs will be a good indication of that. Lets see how that goes. Bayo 3 will be the real test, though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
a bit early to know

The data we currently have is a similar/ lesser opening in the UK depending on digital.
and 20k retail in japan.
and eshop rankings. Bayo 1 is #1 atm in the US, and Bayo 2 is #3.

that's all we got.
Looking at further anecdotes: the game did really well on amazon US, and on plenty of other amazon pages as well, all noticeably better than amazon Japan. We'll have to see how well it does in the end, but I don't think a small opening in the UK and in Japan damn the game just yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayo 1+2 will sell fine. Maybe not in Japan, but globally it should do well enough.

And ultimately, it doesn't even matter all that much, as Nintendo is clearly in it for the long haul with this IP. Now if Bayo 3 is a huge bomb globally, that could be a problem. But I'd personally be ok with the series ending as a trilogy.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at further anecdotes: the game did really well on amazon US, and on plenty of other amazon pages as well, all noticeably better than amazon Japan. We'll have to see how well it does in the end, but I don't think we a small opening in the UK and in Japan damn the game just yet.
i thought uk's opening was pretty decent assuming ditigal had it match the 10k.
but maybe my expectations weren't high

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bayonetta want to sell in Japan, part 3 protagonist must gonna be high school girl(s).

+10k from 50k opening ;^)
+10k if stocking
+10k Hime cut hair
+10k More loser boy lead than Luca

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think people are overreacting a bit. Switch games tend to have legs (even games that traditionally are very frontloaded) and Bayonetta 3 has been announced so there's an incentive to pick up the first two entries as the release of the sequel approaches.

Also, beating sales of Wii U games shouldn't be the norm. Switch proved to be able to do so for both small and big games but it's not a rule. Re-release with few additional contents are not used to sell as well as original release. Sure, Switch is much more successful but Bayonetta is still a small franchise for which installed base might play a limited role. I would say that the composition of Switch demo might play a bigger role in the long-run.

Finally, people refer to the first Bayonetta as a successful game and transfer this popularity to the franchise itself. It's not automatic. There are many franchises that saw one successful release and then popularity died off for one reason or another.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cmon, Bayo will have no legs. Also Nintendo fucked up with the pricing, 40€/$ should have been the asking price for the bundle.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Bayonetta 2 may have some semblence on legs but its not going to match the original. In the same notion the Switch just needs actual releases. They dont all have to do amazing but a somewhat regular release schedule is important. That adds value here.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally thought Bayo would open at 25-30K so opening a bit below that isn't that surprising. To me the more interesting thing is that if it exhibits legs in Japan. Next weeks drop will be more interesting, for me personally.

Stop using Amazon as a substantial barometer.

I think Amazon usually provides a good idea about trends in terms of software sales, the utilization of data from several retailers can generally give us an idea about where sales will end up.
The main thing about Japan is unlike majority of other markets provides a lot of data points via the weekly/daily/hourly retailer rankings.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys really expect legs from Bayonetta though? Somehow I don't see it happening. Maybe 50k LTD.
Cmon, Bayo will have no legs. Also Nintendo fucked up with the pricing, 40€/$ should have been the asking price for the bundle.
ltrVYddkOtKAJJxt7eK4uwXvKGA1fbIR.png

look at dem legs

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Bayonetta 2 may have some semblence on legs but its not going to match the original. In the same notion the Switch just needs actual releases. They dont all have to do amazing but a somewhat regular release schedule is important. That adds value here.

Would Bayonetta be the first Switch "port" to sell worse (LTD) than the Wii U version did then?

Oct 27, 2017
Rayman Legends will probably sell fewer copies too. I sense a rough pattern between first party ports and third party ports.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that over the last week Zelda has ranked higher on Amazon.co.jp than either Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Perhaps this speaks of the trend in terms of the type of buyers getting the Switch right now, older audience picking up the console right now compared to the holidays where more kids were getting a Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.