• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what people are talking about for bad word-of-mouth for GBVS. Game actually changed peoples mind, lots of changes for the better since the beta and people are universally enjoying it.

And well Amazon jp riffs on anything at least from my experience

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
People also like to pretend PS4 and PS3 had the same competition and 3rd party support.
I completely 100% agree with your statement. There was a reason PS3 was 2nd (4th if you count the handhelds), and not first that gen, all those hurdles were removed this gen (Wii U doing horrible, vita decline/death, key franchises returning).

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what people are talking about for bad word-of-mouth for GBVS. Game actually changed peoples mind, lots of changes for the better since the beta and people are universally enjoying it.

co.jp can be harsh, but they don't "riff on anything". Fact is, that GBVS's 2.5 rating is really low, even for co.jp standards.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
What's the japanese consensus? Is it casual players not liking that it's a fighting game/disappointed with the story mode?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 7, 2019

NSW - 64.313
PS4 - 21.571

Big test for Switch Lite next week

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I completely 100% agree with your statement. There was a reason PS3 was 2nd (4th if you count the handhelds), and not first that gen, all those hurdles were removed this gen (Wii U doing horrible, vita decline/death, key franchises returning).
Did anyone expect the PS4 to sell a lot more than the PS3 because of that? If so, how much more? Honestly wondering.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's always kind of unjust to judge hardware sales based off one week or one month.

One should look at the trend. PS4 is seeing low numbers right now but it's certainly not 7k units during a week in mid-February making the platform more or less unsuccessful in Japan. PS4 is going to sell more or less like PS3 did which is not an achievement per se considering the big support it received from third parties, especially Square Enix and Capcom.

Point is, Sony's business model in Japan is limited by the fact that PS4 has targeted a shrinking demographic and hasn't been able to expand its core userbase. PS4 is not a mainstream platform like successful Nintendo platforms are right now or PS1, PS2 and PSP were back then.

It doesn't seem PS5 has the right features to succeed and improve figures over PS4 but who knows.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone expect the PS4 to sell a lot more than the PS3 because of that? If so, how much more? Honestly wondering.

If the market was healthier, few million more easily, namely with support it has received. However the fact is the market is not healthy, which is why these numbers are bad. This was more of argument against someone who said we shouldn't call these numbers bad.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
The difference between GBVS in Japan and GBVS outside Japan, is that in Japan the "RPG" mode is its biggest seller (along with of course the mobile game codes) whereas outside Japan the actual fighting game is the biggest seller.

Having seen the RPG mode, it's not very good. The load times are atrocious. The love and care was clearly in the fighting game and not the RPG mode, which leads to the low scores on Amazon.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I've definitely seen some complaints about Metera(being unfair to play against) and Lowains's Yggu (especially with bad internet).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If the market was healthier, few million more easily, namely with support it has received. However the fact is the market is not healthy, which is why these numbers are bad. This was more of argument against someone who said we shouldn't call these numbers bad.

The video game market is healthier than ever.

The dedicated video game market is past its prime also because of Sony's strategies. Switch is selling PS2 numbers because Nintendo was able to release a desirable product. Sony released a desirable product for the international audience but that failed to gain steam in the domestic market. Sony could have capitalized on the handheld sector in the domestic market but PSV was a product with so many flaws.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between GBVS in Japan and GBVS outside Japan, is that in Japan the "RPG" mode is its biggest seller (along with of course the mobile game codes) whereas outside Japan the actual fighting game is the biggest seller.

Having seen the RPG mode, it's not very good. The load times are atrocious. The love and care was clearly in the fighting game and not the RPG mode, which leads to the low scores on Amazon.

The biggest difference will be the mobage codes. There's a decent amount of non Japanese players who are playing the browser game, but not enough to make up the difference.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
So certainly above 100k with digital for Granblue, as expected. The game had some stock issues in the first couple of days so the digital ratio should be higher than usual too.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
at this point, there's just a reliable core amount of ps4 users left and the base is not going to meaningfully increase. 9.5 million is out of reach and 10 million is a pipe dream - nevermind about reaching ps3 at all.

ps4 games might still do well if adoption of ps5 in japan is weird - for example, an unappealing ps5 launch except for one or two titles, prompting strong hardware sales but generally low ps5 software sales and a now somewhat more active 'ps4' fanbase across the two systems. it's the hail mary that some third-party publishers are hoping for when they won't even make a ps5 sku for a while.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
The biggest difference will be the mobage codes. There's a decent amount of non Japanese players who are playing the browser game, but not enough to make up the difference.
I'm not sure what you mean? They all come with codes. I've read the Amazon JP reviews. 95% of the 1 star reviews mention bad load times in the RPG mode. You have to beat the RPG mode to get the code for 5000 yen of game currency. The large majority of people in Japan will be playing to get those codes whereas outside of Japan that will only be a small amount of people.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
co.jp can be harsh, but they don't "riff on anything". Fact is, that GBVS's 2.5 rating is really low, even for co.jp standards.

I don't know, I just read through like the first 10 or so 1 star reviews and the only thing I get are load times are long, one says the game needs Djeeta(female mc) from the start, a 2 star review says that the game is too hard.

These are 1 star reviews because people don't like load times or some balancing ... I personally don't call that "harsh" but actually looking for a reason to give a 1 out of 5

Edit: found one talking about the DLC "strategy" of the game, I guess I can see that but that still doesn't make the game a 1 star imo

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Amazon.co.jp:カスタマーレビュー: グランブルーファンタジー ヴァーサス【同梱特典】グランブルーファンタジー ゲーム内アイテムコード 同梱 - PS4

Amazon.com で、グランブルーファンタジー ヴァーサス【同梱特典】グランブルーファンタジー ゲーム内アイテムコード 同梱 - PS4 の役立つカスタマーレビューとレビュー評価をご覧ください。ユーザーの皆様からの正直で公平な製品レビューをお読みください。

Look at featured and top reviews and overall rating.

Arc System not deserves this...
Anything outside of Amazon JP reviews?

edit: not saying there isn't legitimate bad reviews against GBVS. Just that Amazon JP alone is pretty unreliable.

Last edited:

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about PS4 compare to PS3 number is...

Is PS3 number was actually good? console market already sinking since gen 7 in Japan in favor of mobile. If we don't have Switch here to save their ass, imagine atmosphere talking about Japanese sale in MC thread since 2017 or something.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So after Persona 5 Scramble, what's the next 3rd party release that could do well on the Switch?

Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana remake looking any good? Ah right, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 also coming up. That should do well.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So after Persona 5 Scramble, what's the next 3rd party release that could do well on the Switch?

Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana remake looking any good? Ah right, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 also coming up. That should do well.
One Piece Warriors 4 should be fairly big. March has a lot of great Switch software so hopefully supply will follow.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Understood. I guess he was only talking about the numbers being within expectations or not (but the numbers can still be bad, thats true). The hights/times for dedicated home systems seems to have changed indeed.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Understood. The hights/times for dedicated home systems seems to have changed indeed.
Imo the biggest issue is content. Big JP publishers are relying too much on iterative sequels without bringing new ideas to the table. 1st party library is relatively weak too.

Without strong and varied content you cannot expand your audience and therefore decline is the logical outcome.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Imo the biggest issue is content. Big JP publishers are relying too much on iterative sequels without bringing new ideas to the table. 1st party library is relatively weak too.

Without strong and varied content you cannot expand your audience and therefore decline is the logical outcome.
Content matters as well, for sure. Its not like the home console market is dead or anything, PS4 will end up around ~9-10 million, but that type of standalone hardware could also have lost some popularity in itself.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Are the OG Switch's manufactured in Wuhan?
Nintendo put out an official statement so yeah, at least some of its components.
www.nintendo.co.jp

新型コロナウイルス感染症による、Nintendo Switchなどの生産および出荷への影響について(お詫び)|サポート情報|Nintendo

新型コロナウイルス感染症による、Nintendo Switchなどの生産および出荷への影響について(お詫び)。
Rough google translation
Impact of New Coronavirus Infection
on Production and Shipping of Nintendo Switch and Other Products (Apology)

Thank you for your patronage of our products.
Due to the new coronavirus infection that is currently occurring, it is expected that production and shipment delays will be inevitable for peripheral devices such as the Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con manufactured in China for the Japanese domestic market. Was. Similarly, shipments of the currently out-of-stock "Ring Fit Adventure" are expected to be delayed.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
We will work hard to deliver the product as soon as possible, while keeping an eye on the effects of the new coronavirus infection, and we look forward to your understanding.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure Foxconn is shut nationwide and hasn't been given the go ahead to open yet.

nobleredone

Dec 8, 2018
Foxconn reopened on Monday with 10% staffing. But would Switch components be their priority at the moment? Probably not

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I don't know, I just read through like the first 10 or so 1 star reviews and the only thing I get are load times are long, one says the game needs Djeeta(female mc) from the start, a 2 star review says that the game is too hard.

These are 1 star reviews because people don't like load times or some balancing ... I personally don't call that "harsh" but actually looking for a reason to give a 1 out of 5

Edit: found one talking about the DLC "strategy" of the game, I guess I can see that but that still doesn't make the game a 1 star imo
I mean i can see why people would dislike a game that only has 11 characters and has 2 season passes announced yet they will release 4 characters in just two months from release which can easily rile people up considering how normally fighting game characters take more time

Last edited:

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Pokemon Week 13:

GS 76,713 4,950,234

RS 44,240 4,045,297

DP 125,228 4,071,188

BW 78,108 4,589,426

XY 152,888 4,129,717

SM 18,151 3,639,258

LGPE 16,922 1,400,683

SS 23,114 3,402,851

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
By the way, anyone has an idea about how long those shortages are gonna be? I hope we talk about few weeks and nothing more.
Otherwise it would be super unfortunate considering the momentum.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
expecting really low sales figures for the Switch for the next length of time until supply can get back to normal levels (although maybe then there will be a huge demand again)

Good sales for this week though. Wish it could be achieved more often lol

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Switch numbers. I wonder how hard it'll drop next week due to shortages.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

But if that was truly the case, then how Nintendo is able to keep winning over the Japanese market while also relying on iterative sequels for series like Pokemon and Mario Kart and Smash etc?

It is more complicated than that, though I agree Japanese publishers are playing their cards far too safe these days.