• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Any update from retailers about MegaMix's performance? Its early stats seem promising, at least

On Amazon.co.jp

Regular - 4th
Limited Edition - 5th
Limited Edition (Amazon.co.jp exclusive) - 20th
eShop code - 27th

It's also 3rd on the Japanese eShop (behind Animal Crossing and Overcooked 2).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom already releases stuff for the Switch, do you really think they won't bring another Monster Hunter game to the Switch for the guaranteed 3+ Million seller? Just seems really odd that they wouldn't make a MH for Switch.
A company that doesn't embrace a system into multiplatform strategy will always give it secondary treatment. Even if this famous game exists it won't change a lot in the big picture. Everything will return to previous situation after its release, meaning almost zero support.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
If Harada and Co. pull their heads out of sand when it comes to Switch, it will become the Nintendo system with more varied third party support since Super Famicom. Most small and mid tier Japanese developers have jumped to it multiplatform or exclusively, from the remaining big that are still absent Bandai Namco is the one that could make the difference. Capcom, From Software and Spike Chunsoft are lost cases.
That's a massive IF at this point.
But yeah, agreed. Although I'm not sure I see the issue with Spike Chunsoft, they seem to have pivoted too recently.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
A company that doesn't embrace a system into multiplatform strategy will always give it secondary treatment. Even if this famous game exists it won't change a lot in the big picture. Everything will return to previous situation after its release, meaning almost zero support.

There's a lot of denial about Capcom's crappy support of the Switch.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I know RE8 has a streaming version on Switch.

RE8 is confirmed for Switch huh?

Capcom already releases stuff for the Switch,

If you think releasing late ports constantly, no AAA games and the only new game being Mega Man 11 is good support then...

do you really think they won't bring another Monster Hunter game to the Switch for the guaranteed 3+ Million seller?

It's been two years since I've had people tell me in this thread that I'm wrong and that a new MH title will come to Switch. Funny enough, those same people were convinced that a Switch Pro was releasing last year.

There's even been certain people that have claimed since 2017 that a new MH title is coming to Switch.

It's funny how it feels like people are just trying to convince themselves that a new MH title will come to Switch when there's not even any leaks about it like how there's leaks for Resident Evil 8 and Resident Evil 3.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
One day Switch will get a big 3rd party exclusive announcement. 2 late ports, a Level 5-ed franchise and Bamco family games doing 300-500k are good results. 3 years in with this being the case just shows how unprepared everyone was. If projects were greenlit post launch this is going to be the year we hear about them.
I'm not hopeful, I feel like it's too late so they won't bother at all, Wii style.
We keep hearing that support will come after Switch first year and yet almost every 3rd party AAA keep skipping Switch, even mid-budget like BN anime games are still skipping despite some being greenlighted after Switch's release.
It'll be interesting and fun to compare how fast the PS5 will get those supports.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Thats true, i just mean hardware in total. Same thing with the Switch that has some of the same factors (less competition, more 3rd party franchises being releasesd there etc.), i dont think many, if any, expect the Switch to sell a lot more than the 3DS.
Yeah I don't see people saying the switch has it easy in terms of competition like they do with the ps4. The reality is it has no real competition so should we expect it to easily outsell the 3ds or match the DS? They had stronger competition and didn't have the full weight of Nintendo behind them as their efforts were split between a home and handheld console. Now it's all rolled into one.

Probably PS4 but that doesn't matter either. It failed to be a mainstream platform and only catered to a vastly homogenous fanbase. Which is perfectly fine---simply it wasn't a leading platform.
How can we say profits don't matter? That's the ultimate goal from these companies.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Capcom told us what their strategy is for the Switch, multiplatform titles. I can't think of one Capcom game on Switch that is exclusive and not playable on anywhere else... Funny enough, Ultra Street Fighter 2 is actually the only Switch exclusive. Which is why when the Switch became successful from launch did Capcom decide on November 2017:
We feel the favorable performance of the Nintendo Switch, and the impact it is having on reaffirming the status of home video game consoles, are very positive. Going forward we will support the Nintendo Switch based on our fundamental strategy of multiplatform development.

Further, we are cognizant of the need to evaluate further how to best utilize the unique features of this platform, which differ from those of other home video game consoles.

It's not an issue if Switch no longer gets exclusives as long as it gets multiplatform titles but... It's not getting AAA multiplatform titles so this one Monster Hunter game that might come to Switch isn't going to change Capcom's support of the Switch if Switch can't get multiplatform AAA titles.

Capcom isn't going to abandon PC, Xbox and PlayStation for Switch. Monster Hunter World's success changed how they want to compete since May 2018:

What will be necessary for Capcom to grow over the next five years?
While the Japanese home video game market is sizable, it is less than 10% the size of the global market. We believe that Capcom must win out against publishers on the global stage, such as those in the U.S. and Europe, in order to grow in the medium- to long-term. Esports, which has been garnering attention throughout the globe, provides the perfect opportunity for us to compete on the world stage. The Capcom brand already enjoys high levels of recognition globally; as such, we are streamlining our corporate structure in order to leverage this brand recognition and win out at the global level.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
With what, Katanakami?
AI: The Somnium Files, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and that.
They're devs on One Punch Man but this is more a Bandai-Namco problem.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them port stuff like Danganronpa and Fire Pro this year, especially as NISA was the publisher in the west for the former.

edit: Spike isn't really big, I see them more like one of those small/mid tier devs that took too long to pivot, than something like Capcom, From, and Bamco.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The full story behind Danganronpa has more laughs than that famous picture. Spike Chunsoft isn't very far from Falcom when it comes to company's operation.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't Spike Chunsoft specifically looking for PS4/PC Devs who like Danganronpa?

I think that speaks for that franchise.

Acquire seems to be prioritising Switch, Octopath clearly had an affect.

I'm not trying to at all minimize the 1 million sellers. Obviously those are the most impactful games, etc. But you also can't just use that example (which, when you get down to the 3DS comparison is basically L5 falling off a cliff and no Monster Hunter or DQ) to completely ignore the rest of the market- which has moved to Switch in numbers not seen in a Nintendo platform since SNES, as Chris has said.

Undoubtedly, and I imagine it's part of the reason for Switch's consistency in weekly sales but I don't think it outweighs the hardware those big hitters moved.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them port stuff like Danganronpa and Fire Pro this year, especially as NISA was the publisher in the west for the former.

Spike-Chunsoft now handles localisation and publishing duties for the west, so NISA publishing Danganronpa on PS/PC before would mean nothing. It just ain't happening.

Well, at least Spike-Chunsoft does not skip Switch version for their localisations, so there's that.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before, but it seems that for this purpose there's a difference between the Spike and the Chunsoft parts of that company.

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not only has a new Brain Training challenge now unlocked, but the weekly Championship Mode has been enabled, which allows for worldwide score challenges and should boost the game's legs considerably. Surely, a US release cannot be far away, either.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
AI: The Somnium Files, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and that.
They're devs on One Punch Man but this is more a Bandai-Namco problem.

edit: Spike isn't really big, I see them more like one of those small/mid tier devs that took too long to pivot, than something like Capcom, From, and Bamco.

Nah, that doesn't mean Spike as a whole has pivoted. Somnium Files had Uchikoshi on board, and he likes Nintendo's handhelds. PMD is a licensed title. If you check their list, anything that isn't developed by Uchikoshi's team or has Pokemon in it are usually PlayStation console-exclusives. The Danganronpa team is notorious for being like that, and that's because Kodaka is a huge PlayStation fan (he outright said he doesn't like the Switch).

Btw, I'm honestly surprised Sega absolutely refuses to make the new Sakura Wars multi-platform even in the west. I thought they would at least add a PC port after commenting that its sales in Japan disappointed. I wonder whose fault is it? Sony money or some PS fan in Sega wanting it to be exclusive?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really believe that Sony doesn't care about Japan? I see that often but Japan is a huge market. A succesful console can net you 20% percent of your revenue. Sony is successful worldwide but I'm pretty sure that they would want to be successful in Japan too. The circumstances have changed drastically but Sony going after Monster Hunter for PS4 is a sign that they do care for Japan and desperately want to revive their marketshare there. They don't have that kind of power anymore though.
They care about Japan in the sense that the region is an investment that pays off in third-party exclusives, which boosts the appeal of PS globally. There are plenty of people who prioritize Sony consoles simply because they often get first dibs on Japanese content.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa is another series that would flourish on the Switch but is being limited for no apparent reason. I really expected Japanese publishers to be on board more than they currently are.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
If Harada and Co. pull their heads out of sand when it comes to Switch, it will become the Nintendo system with more varied third party support since Super Famicom. Most small and mid tier Japanese developers have jumped to it multiplatform or exclusively, from the remaining big that are still absent Bandai Namco is the one that could make the difference. Capcom, From Software and Spike Chunsoft are lost cases.
I don't see that happening with Harada.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that happening with Harada.
I didn't say it will happen, at least not with Harada in charge, but if Bandai Namco decides to include Switch into the internal pipeline it will be a big hit for Sony in Japan since Xbox basically doesn't exist and everything can be considered PlayStation exclusive.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Spike-Chunsoft now handles localisation and publishing duties for the west, so NISA publishing Danganronpa on PS/PC before would mean nothing. It just ain't happening.

Well, at least Spike-Chunsoft does not skip Switch version for their localisations, so there's that.
Fair enough.
I was more thinking about how NISA announces surprise ports at PAX and such nowadays, but I didn't know Spike dropped them.
Nah, that doesn't mean Spike as a whole has pivoted. Somnium Files had Uchikoshi on board, and he likes Nintendo's handhelds. PMD is a licensed title. If you check their list, anything that isn't developed by Uchikoshi's team or has Pokemon in it are usually PlayStation console-exclusives. The Danganronpa team is notorious for being like that, and that's because Kodaka is a huge PlayStation fan (he outright said he doesn't like the Switch).

Btw, I'm honestly surprised Sega absolutely refuses to make the new Sakura Wars multi-platform even in the west. I thought they would at least add a PC port after commenting that its sales in Japan disappointed. I wonder whose fault is it? Sony money or some PS fan in Sega wanting it to be exclusive?
We'll see.

For Sakura Wars, given their financial results where they note it underperformed, and the fact they announce a basic release for a localization 2 months before release make me think they are not planning anything anymore for it now.
Making it an exclusive (timed or not) was a terrible idea, but it seems SEGA loves exclusives as much as Atlus nowadays.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah it wouldn't make sense to do a late Sakura Wars port at this point. Sega had a chance to bring back one of their legacy IPs in a big way and wasted it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
To get an idea on Animal Crossing hype : it took less than a week for the game to have more preorders on ComG than FFVIIR.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If Nagoshi is behind he doesn't need money for making something PlayStation exclusive, for full or limited time. A PC release could come one year later.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
If Nagoshi is behind he doesn't need money for making something PlayStation exclusive, for full or limited time. A PC release could come one year later.
To this day I still don't understand what Nagoshi's gripe with Nintendo is and why Sega's management lets him get away with it

Nintendo has proven to be a very reliable plateforme holder for Sega with lots of their games performing very well on their devices

I guess once yakuza has been ran into the ground someone will hold him accountable

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I still don't understand what Nagoshi's gripe with Nintendo is and why Sega's management lets him get away with it

Nintendo has proven to be a very reliable plateforme holder for Sega with lots of their games performing very well on their devices

I guess once yakuza has been ran into the ground someone will hold him accountable
Yakuza in the next generation will be super interesting to follow. They've been milking the property hard too.

Fludd

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
Didn't Media Create blame Yakuza's underperformance on PS4 exclusivity? Or was that another game they were talking about?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Didn't Media Create blame Yakuza's underperformance on PS4 exclusivity? Or was that another game they were talking about?

It's a combination. A series either has to give players new experiences, or be put on platforms not previously available to expand market. They tried the first, but not the second, nor the combination of the two. Who is to say what the correct strategy could have been, but trying only the first when your series is shrinking as fast as this one seems a bit of a half-measure.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Nintendo wouldn't be selling more hardware if they had Sakura Wars or Yakuza, so Sega is the only loser here.

BUT we are talking about what - 50k units sold on Switch? Would that even cover dev costs? Those games are not popular enough to benefit from Switch success. They will bomb and sell what they usually sell with every entry, PS4 exclusive or not.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't be selling more hardware if they had Sakura Wars or Yakuza, so Sega is the only loser here.

BUT we are talking about what - 50k units sold on Switch? Would that even cover dev costs? Those games are not popular enough to benefit from Switch success. They will bomb and sell what they usually sell with every entry, PS4 exclusive or not.
50k more in Japan for both of those games in Japan would be a nice chunk of sales and as we've seen from other series their Switch sales grow as more entries release on the platform. You also have sales outside of Japan when talking about recouping dev costs.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

If it costs so much to port that gaining an additional 33% more sales can't cover the cost, imagine how unprofitable the original games were, where they have to write all the code from scratch, create the scenarios, the assets, write the script, hire the voice actors, etc. If an additional 33% sales isn't worth it, the original game most likely wasn't worth it either.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had this thought earlier but what if super mario party is selling so well that Nintendo might just keep it the only one for the switch generation

Oct 25, 2017
If it costs so much to port that gaining an additional 33% more sales can't cover the cost, imagine how unprofitable the original games were, where they have to write all the code from scratch, create the scenarios, the assets, write the script, hire the voice actors, etc. If an additional 33% sales isn't worth it, the original game most likely wasn't worth it either.
You'd think people would abandon this argument when Sega bothered porting Shenmue and Yazuka games to Xbox. And then kept going regardless.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You'd think that after they ported Yakuza 0 to the Xbox One they'd greenlight a port of it for the Switch as well.
Someone in charge of yakuza has to have some form of beef to pick with the Switch at this point. There isn't anyway to justify the Xbox One port that won't also validate a Switch version of the game as well. It's just so odd.
toshihiro-nagoshi-teases-1280x720.jpg

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza is going direct to Game Pass...guessing Microsoft paid them for the ports with up front guaranteed cash. Not that hard to believe.