• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Switch will need a miracle to compete against NDS (which is the system Nintendo should be really chasing in Japan, when you consider they only have one system to cater for), alas I don't see anything promising on the horizon.

The Nintendo DS had an unparalleled success in Japan. Not matching its sales is expected for any gaming device, especially when the Switch is two times more expensive.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
09 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Nintendo) (2017.12.01) - 181.254

:)

Switch will need a miracle to compete against NDS (which is the system Nintendo should be really chasing in Japan, when you consider they only have one system to cater for), alas I don't see anything promising on the horizon.

I doubt anyone expects it to, the DS didn't have to compete against mobile phones.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nah. Nintendo needs to make sure Switch is a viable platform for software to sell on and it makes them money. Seems like they are on the right track.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been kind of saying for awhile now that games like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 wouldn't of sold that good even if they were on more successful consoles.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 will need a miracle to compete against PS2 (which is the system Sony should be really chasing in Japan, when you consider they only have one system to cater for), alas I don't see anything promising on the horizon.

Ps2 HW Sales time are long gone in Japan so Sony sure knows that, Switch will not reach Ps2 or DS levels either unless price is slashed dramatically.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say back in January.

Bayonetta is not a particularly attractive series, the Switch audience is not the target demographic of the game, Bayonetta 1+2 itself is a collection of old games, and the Wii U wasn't actually stopping popular games from selling to the degree that Bayonetta tanked on Wii U.

Returning to my other argument from that thread, while I expect it to do better than Bayonetta, I still remain unconvinced that Donkey Kong is going to be a major hit. I honest feel the reception to the first Donkey Kong reboot was that it was too hard for most people, which was the primary cause of its Wii U entry sales issues, and that a port is unlikely to pick up a large audience that never engaged with the games before in order to be able to get around that.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If Bayonetta 2 standard edition and Bayonetta 2 Non-Stop Climax Edition were combined, the game would be at #5 at 21.226 copies.

It's an abomination that the Non-Stop Climax Edition sold more than the regular edition. It clearly shows where demand is. Shame on you, Nintendo. Now produce more of those fuckers.

A good ammount of the Non-Stop Climax Edition sales might be foreigners importing the game. It's the only way WW to get both games physical. It was a gold opportunity for Nintendo to use a 32 GB cart. If they don't use it themselves, how can we ask third parties to do so?.

Oct 26, 2017

Bayonetta is not a particularly attractive series, the Switch audience is not the target demographic of the game, Bayonetta 1+2 itself is a collection of old games, and the Wii U wasn't actually stopping popular games from selling to the degree that Bayonetta tanked on Wii U.

Returning to my other argument from that thread, while I expect it to do better than Bayonetta, I still remain unconvinced that Donkey Kong is going to be a major hit. I honest feel the reception to the first Donkey Kong reboot was that it was too hard for most people, which was the primary cause of its Wii U entry sales issues, and that a port is unlikely to pick up a large audience that never engaged with the games before in order to be able to get around that.

We will see with Donkey Kong adding easy mode if it can succeed, but it may be that the people who bought Returns didn't enjoy because it was too hard and won't buy future games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what that game is, but why should we expect the PS4 to get a bump from it. No single software other than mhw and dq has moved Ps4 hardware significantly. Don't think this is a game to do it

It's the Yakuza version of Hokuto no Ken, and I wasn't talking about moving significantly but just pulling it ahead of the 40-45k baseline of the Switch.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Seems like a lot of these ports are just to fill out Switch's software portfolio. I doubt Nintendo is sweating Bayo's 1+2 sales or regrets greenlighting the ports.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what sort of ballpark PS4 hardware is going to settle at; it's still dropping pretty significantly after the MHW boost, but it's decelerating.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Switch hardware continues to drop despite being more and more available. Q1 is a bit rough. What was the 3DS baseline in February 2012?

I hadn't realized the shortages had stopped in Japan, is the Switch in stock for the most part then? And these sales are not that limited by supply anymore and reveal a bit more about the demand instead? Hopefully it improves.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

We should really wait for more data before burrying Bayonetta. In the US I can see it being way up from the Wii U version.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Wow these Bayonetta sales, but not that surprising i think. Fortunately the sales in the west will do better. Congrats to the Zelda team, they absolutely deserved it with this masterpiece.

Solid numbers for Mario & Rabbids, thats a nice surprise for sure.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of these ports are just to fill out Switch's software portfolio. I doubt Nintendo is sweating Bayo's 1+2 sales or regrets greenlighting the ports.
Sure, and I think that makes sense. The January thread debate was more so about whether or not Bayonetta would sell 150K+ in Japan though, which is the part I was following up on.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you're wrong there. I didn't buy Tropical Freeze because I didn't particularly enjoy playing DKCR due to the difficulty.

On a similar related note I bought Bayo 1+2 this week because I'm off work and started with the first one and between the QTEs, gameplay changes and some bullshit enemies/sections I probably wouldn't buy the sequel if I hadn't got them together. I've heard Bayo 2 is a lot more accessible in that regard.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the Yakuza version of Hokuto no Ken, and I wasn't talking about moving significantly but just pulling it ahead of the 40-45k baseline of the Switch.
Okay. Yeah, that could be possible. If we assume the PS4 hw weekly drops will be similar to the past couple of weeks that should put the PS4 at around 24k units the week before the release. Would still need a 10k+ bump to surpass the Switch though

*Edit

Although looking at last year it looks like the baseline was a bit higher - maybe 26k. I think we could see a higher baseline now. Maybe 28k?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonder what sort of ballpark PS4 hardware is going to settle at; it's still dropping pretty significantly after the MHW boost, but it's decelerating.
PS4 is currently 22k higher than last year, and depending on exactly how fast the drop in sales will decelerate, it seems plausible that the weekly sales won't remain non-negligibly up YoY in a couple of weeks' time.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
And I thought that Dragon Ball FighterZ would do much better than that.

Maybe the WoM of the fans of the old Budokai and Xenoverse series wasn't particulary great because is too different from them.

Another good week for MHW, and I'm surprised that the Secret of Mana actually sold that amount.

The Switch, even without any new games for more than two months, managed to sell ~40k. That's something really interesting to see, and even more interesting to see the legs of the software.

Oct 26, 2017
The first game moved 200K on PS3 and 110K on 360 in Japan, so wherever those people ended up.

If they exited console gaming, then obviously nowhere.

If they're still on dedicated devices, then we should look where stylish action games are still selling.

This is the first stylish action game since Bayonetta 1+2 four years ago so it's hard to determine where that may be.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game moved 200K on PS3 and 110K on 360 in Japan, so wherever those people ended up.

If they exited console gaming, then obviously nowhere.

If they're still on dedicated devices, then we should look where stylish action games are still selling.

I'm no expert but it might not be too outrageous for me to suggest they ended up on the PlayStation 4.

But I think Bayonetta 3 will do better than this port, they say if you build it they'll come.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Bayonetta 2 opened at about 33k on Wii U (Famitsu numbers). The opening on Switch isn't that great but not bad either. Climax Edition had a very limited distribution and the game was pretty small to begin with. I wonder whether it can have Switch-like legs; on Wii U the game eventually sold more than twice as much as first week so on Switch it should be able to do a bit better in terms of first week ratio on LTD, especially considering Bayonetta 3 is approaching.

Switch hardware and software continue to perform extremely well. It's quite shocking to see a game like Zelda charting so high one year after launch. The idea that a home console Zelda could reach 1m in Japan was pretty far last year. The game might even to Ocarina of Time sales in Japan. In general, Switch is selling a lot of osftware targeted towards different type of gamers. ARMS and Pokkén performance are among the most surprising in my opinion. ARMS is going to sell 500k units which, for a new IP in the fighting genre and little content at launch, is extraordinary.

PS4 software outside Monster Hunter seems to underperform big time. Dynasty Warriors will be one of the biggest bombs of the year. Sword Art Online couldn't get PSV fanbase (dropping PSV wasn't a smart idea indeed). Mana did ok-ish given the quality of the remake; it opened lower than I Am Setsuna and it's the second worst selling launch in the franchise above Heroes of Mana (not counting the Switch collection of course, which did 28k).
What kind of magic made it possible for you to make this post within 1 minute of the thread going up?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Good PS4 sales.

MHW tracking like the best selling MH game in Japan.

?

After four weeks:
01. / 01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 404.175 / 3.565.976 (-30%)
01./01. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980) - 85.322 / 1.836.291 (-47%)

Even with huge digital share it's not even close.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first stylish action game since Bayonetta 1+2 four years ago so it's hard to determine where that may be.
Right, I think we're unlikely to get a read on if the audience still exists and where it may exist until we can compare Devil May Cry 5 and Bayonetta 3.

Bayonetta 1 was only a bit behind Devil May Cry 4 (310K vs 360K if I'm looking this up correctly), so they're pretty comparable series.

Status
Not open for further replies.