• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2020.02.20}

[PS4] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) (¥8.800) - 50%
[NSW] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) (¥8.800) - 70%

[PS4] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥3.980) - 40%
[NSW] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥3.980) - 50%
Wonder howmuch was shipped.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
21./18. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.09.27} (¥7.980) - 2.589 / 487.981 <80-100%> (+1%)
nice

twitter.com

Nicolas Verlet, mais sur Switch on Twitter

“1000 exemplaires de Dreams vendus en première semaine au Japon 😶”

I don't know if this has been said before, but according to this french journalist, Dreams sold 993 units during its first week in Japan.
...wow

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Sega will let retailers order as many copies as they themselves produce and outside of Mario and Sonic they have undershipped prety much every Switch release.

In Japan software companies don't take software back if the retailers cannot sell it, so Sega doesn't unilaterally decide the amount of copies to produce.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: February 13th to February 19th 2020

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

01./01. – Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) [20.3.2020]
02./03. – Hatsune Miku Project Diva Mega 39's (SEGA) [13.2.2020]
03./00. – Omori Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) [08.2.2018] (currently 83% off)
04./00. – Darksiders Warmastered Edition (THQ Nordic Japan) [25.4.2019] (was 70% off)
05./06. – Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
06./07. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
07./05. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
08./New. – Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (SEGA Games) [20.2.2020]
09./10. – Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
10./08. – Overcooked! Special Edition (Team17) [12.10.2017]
11./11. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
12./12. – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
13./17. – Urban Trial Playground (3 g o o) [24.5.2018] (was 91% off)
14./14. – Pokémon Sword (The Pokémon Company) [15.11.2019]
15./13. – Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo) [27.12.2019]
16./00. – UNO (Ubisoft) [07.11.2017] (currently 50% off)
17./New. – Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story (Spike-Chunsoft) [20.2.2020]
18./00. – Stardew Valley (ConcernedApe) [11.1.2018]
19./18. – Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
20./00. – Undertale (8-4) [15.9.2018]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

01./02. – Pokémon Crystal Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [26.1.2018]
02./01. – The Battle Cats POP! (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
03./00. – Dragon Lapis (Kemco) [18.4.2018] (currently 50% off)
04./00. – Pokémon Dream Radar (The Pokémon Company) [23.6.2012]
05./07. – Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) [26.12.2012]
06./00. – Machine Knight (Kemco) [10.1.2018] (currently 50% off)
07./04. – Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017]
08./05. – Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) [23.11.2016]
09./00. – Mononoke Tantei Shida no Ayakashi Jikenchou (Arc System Works) [26.3.2014] (currently 400 Yen, instead of 835 Yen)
10./00. – Pokémon Yellow Version: Pikachu Special Edition (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]

topics.nintendo.co.jp

ニンテンドーeショップ新作入荷情報 2/21(金)号! 先週の売れ筋 TOP10もご紹介。 | トピックス | Nintendo

ニンテンドーeショップで配信される新作ソフトの情報を毎週お知らせする「ニンテンドーeショップ新作入荷情報」! 今回は、2/15(土)~2/21(金)に配信された新作ソフト情報と、先

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, though if anything, Sony will most likely be the company of the three to "go 3rd party" or drop out of the gaming industry before Nintendo.

Sony got lucky because of bad launches from both Xbox One & Wii U. PS5 isn't going to be like PS4 will be in terms of larger marketshare, especially with the Switch & Xbox Series X coming around with the high price tag.
Less competition certainly helps, but its not that much about luck in that sense. Otherwise we could say that Nintendo was lucky that the PS4 didnt do so well in Japan when they launched the Switch, or that they got lucky with the Wii due to the high PS3 price. I mean, its true in that regards, but thats not really too big of a factor for why those systems are a success, in my opinion. The PS4 had some weeks where it was selling around 10k in 2015 for example, long before the Switch was even known (then there were more competition from the 3DS and Vita of course, but still). Its more about how interested people are in the product itself.

LOL, people have always been biased against Nintendo while always praising Sony.
Theres bias on both sides. And there hasnt always been praising about PS sales performance, especially not in about japanese sales in these sales threads hehe :P =)

Wow ... That's a bomba if there's ever one.
7 years of development to launch at 993 units in Japan.
It makes W101 looks like a huge success.
Dreams was also in early access for about a year, so its not the first time the game has been up for sale (unless Japan didnt get the early access version?). But the retail release (and possible early access too) are really low for sure. Not sure why Dreams got such a muted launch from Sony. If it wasnt for this forum and other tech sites that i read, i dont think i would know that Dreams was released (which is true for many games, but i would expect to hear more about Dreams).

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017

It'll be a shame if the Switch version faces shortages, but not surprising considering it's SEGA/Atlus.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
50% sell through for P5S on PS4 is rather low, the game could have trouble selling its first shipment there.

Rather low because it is a JRPG with a significant 1st day sales coming from the Collector Edition (which won't have any legs).

Last edited:

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
ERH2gG7U8AUrRgs

ERH2eSrUcAAwIee

ERLR8CsVUAA93im

ERMuIo0UEAA1-2O

ERLqhedUUAE9Ay4

ERLqhedU8AA44sH

EPBwZ_FU8AAigBN

ERMjGd1U4AA_tk-

ERII-R2UEAA9IEO

ERII-N1VAAAk0oz

ERL6hmoU0AEgzXY

ERC4SVyVAAIz8Vu

ERMUFyjU0AQUjqy

EQ8skbrUYAAGum7

ERIkpZuW4AACcvA

ERMqtzcUcAAxgIa

GEO stores buy used switches 25000 (last week 23000), many stores 27000 and more
ERMKavSUcAA1ZMS

ERC2Y3BUEAA2fCm

ERD7PpjUcAEkz4E

EQzwjIGU8AAgKOq

EQ8LenLU0AIPFC4

EQ-955mUYAAJb2E

ERIcSSAUcAA8n60

ERIbcezUUAEbtoi

EQ76x0_UEAEt6Xm

Thanks for the weekly pics!

What are the two charts at the end about?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think PS5 could end below 6 Million units, somewhere in that 5 to 7 Million range seems very likely to me though,

So the PS5 has to somehow become a colossal failure despite succeeding the PS4 which had stronger Japanese third party support than the PS3.

There's only going to be three console platforms next year (four unless Sony decides to end PS4 production).

When there's not much competition and if the PS5 is still offering games the Switch doesn't have then the PS5 isn't going to suffer.

/End
##################

This PS5/PS4 talk keeps going through the same motions every week this year.

Let's talk about something not as predictable like Xbox Series X and Lockhart.

Japan doesn't have Gamepass on Xbox One. Phil Spencer knows Xbox One was a colossal failure in Japan and he doesn't want the same thing to happen next gen.

Gamepass can provide a very good value proposition for gamers in Japan considering software prices, it's up to Microsoft to convince developers that Japanese consumers will buy an Xbox to play their games if they put their games on Gamepass.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
This info is coming from small retailers and could not be entirely representative for entire Japan.

Before the direct, Animal Crossing pre-orders are tracking 50-60% higher than Pokemon at first 2 weeks.

There's also the time pre-orders started to take into account. Pokémon had a much larger pre-order window, so makes sense that pre-orders for AC would have stronger start.

There SEGA, wrote that for you:

平素は「ペルソナ5 スクランブル ザ ファントム ストライカーズ」関連商品をご愛顧いただき、誠にありがとうございます。

2020年2月20日(木)発売のNintendo Switch用ソフト『ペルソナ5 スクランブル ザ ファントム ストライカーズ』について、現在多くの販売店様にて品切れ・品薄の状況となっております。お客様にはご迷惑をおかけし、誠に申し訳ございません。

パッケージ版は順次出荷を行ってまいりますので、確実にご購入されたいお客様については、各販売店様でのご予約をおすすめいたします。

なお、パッケージ版の次回出荷までは、しばしお時間いただく予定です。
ニンテンドーeショップでは本作のダウンロード版も販売しておりますので、ご購入を予定されている方は、ダウンロード版のご利用もご検討いただければ幸いです。
Nah, no need to thank me mate. Just doing what I can to help.

Yes, it's just copy/paste of the Miku notice. And yes, it's just a joke.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Are we looking at a 1+ million debut for Animal Crossing?

Last edited:

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Are we looking for a 1+ million debut for Animal Crossing?
Chris' comments:

Physical+Digital sales
Iwata had twitted first week sales of New Leaf were around 800k, 600k was the initial physical shipment that was completely sold out and 200k sales came from eShop. If we go by Famitsu more than 100k of these digital sales came from download cards, which also faced supply problems.

With Switch and Animal Crossing momentum New Horizons won't have problem to exceed 1m opening.

Physical shipments
Initial physical shipment for Animal Crossing will exceed 1m.

VS Pokémon
Hype for Animal Crossing is comparable to Pokemon.
This info is coming from small retailers and could not be entirely representative for entire Japan.

Before the direct, Animal Crossing pre-orders are tracking 50-60% higher than Pokemon at first 2 weeks.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Japan doesn't have Gamepass on Xbox One. Phil Spencer knows Xbox One was a colossal failure in Japan and he doesn't want the same thing to happen next gen.

Gamepass can provide a very good value proposition for gamers in Japan considering software prices, it's up to Microsoft to convince developers that Japanese consumers will buy an Xbox to play their games if they put their games on Gamepass.

I didn't know there were still MC thread regulars who had any sort of hope at all about Xbox in Japan. The Switch sold slightly fewer consoles last week than Xbox One in 284 weeks. There's no coming back from that, Xbox is never gonna be a thing in Japan.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Every console launch is a fresh start. Microsoft got what they put in, since there is no sort of nationalistic barrier to Xbox succeeding, if Microsoft puts in the effort, they can grow their brand.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Every console launch is a fresh start. Microsoft got what they put in, since there is no sort of nationalistic barrier to Xbox succeeding, if Microsoft puts in the effort, they can grow their brand.
There's certainly a mindshare barrier and by all accounts Japanese publishers tend to prefer developing for less platforms than more.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Damn, Coronavirus claims another "victim": some of the goodies that were planned to be sold at the Fire Emblem Expo II during Golden Week.

www.intsys.co.jp

INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS CO., LTD.

すべてのファイアーエムブレムファンへ向けてのイベント、「ファイアーエムブレム EXPO II」は、原画や立体パネルで彩る「ギャラリー」と、バンドライブ&ドラマ構成の「ステージ」でお贈りするイベントです!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Third party support is not the reason Xbox doesn't sell well in Japan.

Xbox already has the vast majority of big Japanese games; they have Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Musou, Souls, DBZ games, Nier Automata.

They're currently missing Dragon Quest and Level 5 stuff but the former is inevitable at this point.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox already has the vast majority of big Japanese games; they have Monster Hunter,

Monster Hunter World is console exclusive to PS4 in Japan though.

I'm also reminded that Phil has to do something regarding SIEJA or else Sony will just keep scooping up third party exclusives in Japan like they did with Destiny and Call of Duty.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
An approach that could work for Xbox next gen with JP publishers is to secure semi-exclusive deal. What I mean is the games would be on Xbox but not PS. They could still put their games on PC mobile and Switch.

That could make the deal more enticing to JP publishers that wouldn't have to sacrifice domestic sales.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ERR6tYkU8AAsQEg

ERR6tYjUUAAqwMF

ERQ8BvcU8AAHRsM

ERRY3tvUUAAVt07

ERSvgpEUYAA1CaY

Joshin, switch lotteries
ERR8BFDU8AENU4X

fEWovs6.png

ERRNsmpVUAciRrs

ERSPDzRU4AE2nRg

EROrKlaU4AEwvST

EROrKlaU4AA1TmM

ERLNYCCUYAAQvDa

Damn...lotteries, 1 switch by person, switches prices...2017 is back...

don't touch my switch

YAdmnHf.jpg

9KqGiug.png

Sc7pIqu.png

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Xbox already has the vast majority of big Japanese games; they have Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Musou, Souls, DBZ games, Nier Automata.

They're currently missing Dragon Quest and Level 5 stuff but the former is inevitable at this point.
They have some of the big games that they don't always get but missing most of mid tier and below support. That's weak support. Japanese consumers buy the switch for Nintendo games and they buy the PS4 for 3rd parties. Whether the Xbox has better AAA 3rd party support than the Switch is besides the point it's a greatly inferior PS4. Anyone interested in those games has no reason to buy it over a PS4.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They have some of the big games that they don't always get but missing most of mid tier and below support. That's weak support. Japanese consumers buy the switch for Nintendo games and they buy the PS4 for 3rd parties. Whether the Xbox has better AAA 3rd party support than the Switch is besides the point it's a greatly inferior PS4. Anyone interested in those games has no reason to buy it over a PS4.

Sure but that's not a problem they can solve unless Phil seeks to moneyhat the whole industry. Xbox(and now Switch/Nintendo) are only ever going to get a subset of the games on PlayStation.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but that's not a problem they can solve unless Phil seeks to moneyhat the whole industry. Xbox(and now Switch/Nintendo) are only ever going to get a subset of the games on PlayStation.
The only way I can see them solve it is creating the Japanese version of a GTA and a couple of other big exclusives to accelerate hardware sales. I mean Microsoft is a very cash rich company but I doubt they will go that far. I don't think the problem of Xbox is that it's a western product though. Like principate said, the Playstation is a better product for Japan.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
MS and Sony just need to buy Nintendo and then they'll see better performance in Japan lol.

Any moves MS makes in Japan will be for western fans that like Japanese games and I don't see anything Sony can do to improve their situation. The PS5 will have a harder time than the PS4 and there's no increase in support coming.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dreams was also in early access for about a year, so its not the first time the game has been up for sale (unless Japan didnt get the early access version?). But the retail release (and possible early access too) are really low for sure. Not sure why Dreams got such a muted launch from Sony. If it wasnt for this forum and other tech sites that i read, i dont think i would know that Dreams was released (which is true for many games, but i would expect to hear more about Dreams).

I doubt the early access matters for Japanese market, especially so for Dreams for which 993 here is just atrocious.
In general, I don't think early access influence the game's performance as much as people here think.
Early access is aimed at the most hardcore audience, which is a very small market segment.
There are lots of games with early access, yet still manage to launch successfully.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Why would Microsoft spend resources gaining market share in a subset of a market that is shrinking?

At most I can see PS5 match PS4 in Japan. As I see it Microsoft would be more wise spending money in most other part of the world or just simply creating more studios.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The sellthrough of P5S will be interesting to compare with the sales numbers. Both versions might end up closer than we thought.
Wow ... That's a bomba if there's ever one.
7 years of development to launch at 993 units in Japan.
It makes W101 looks like a huge success.
Time for Media Molecule to do a kickstarter for some ports.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Is Koei Tecmo really in that bad of shape to think that they're at the stage where a single game is carrying their hopes? I figured they were doing pretty well honestly.

KT is doing well. Team Ninja and Gust have been picking up Omega Force's slack. Between Persona and One Piece I think they need a hit. For Atlus and P·Studio they need their biggest franchise to do well, especially on a new platform.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah Koei-Tecmo is doing really well and making right decisions too. I don't see a reason for concern with them, they've even backtracked from the DW9 fiasco.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Why would Microsoft spend resources gaining market share in a subset of a market that is shrinking?

At most I can see PS5 match PS4 in Japan. As I see it Microsoft would be more wise spending money in most other part of the world or just simply creating more studios.
That's kind of a weird question as the American market shrank as well this gen. Anyway, you invest to expand a market.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox brand is done in Japan. No small and mid tier developer will care but Microsoft is good at getting several of the bigger games. If Sony was seeing Xbox as threat for Japanese games maybe things wouldn't be so easy.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So the PS5 has to somehow become a colossal failure despite succeeding the PS4 which had stronger Japanese third party support than the PS3.

There's only going to be three console platforms next year (four unless Sony decides to end PS4 production).

When there's not much competition and if the PS5 is still offering games the Switch doesn't have then the PS5 isn't going to suffer.
Playstation 4's sales directly correlate to the big exclusives it had, it's not like the PS4 was some run away success in Japan, it was prompt up by the games that sold 300k+* in Japan:
MGS5: ~450k+,
FF15: ~1.1M+,
GTA5: ~600k+,
COD:WWII: ~400k+,
COD:BlopsIII: ~400k+,
Neir: Automata: ~350k+,
DQ11: ~1.35M+,
MHW: 3.2M+,
Persona 5: 400k+,
RE2R: north of 400k,
KH3: north of 850k,

*+ 'or more'
There is also a ton of more games that did ~200k, which helped when those big hitting games weren't there. The problem is for the first couple years here, PS4 is likely going to play everything the PS5 is going to get from Japan, some things won't come until later, and PS5 is probably ~10k yen more expensive than the PS4 was during it's first 2 years. If the PS4 declined, why wouldn't the PS5?
This PS5/PS4 talk keeps going through the same motions every week this year.

Xbox has to exceed the 360's "success" before it is worth discussing in this thread IMO, but sure Gamepass could be very valuable if the market can break through a bit. 360 sold something north of 1.6 Million units iirc, if the XSX only sells like the XB1 platform has at first, gamepass makes no difference because the word of mouth is just too small to make headway, but if they can reach 360's level of sales month in and month out, it has a chance to sell much better.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Koei-Tecmo is doing really well and making right decisions too. I don't see a reason for concern with them, they've even backtracked from the DW9 fiasco.
As much of a disaster that was, I'm surprised they have tried to fix the engine problems and make a new open world IP

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sega will let retailers order as many copies as they themselves produce and outside of Mario and Sonic they have undershipped prety much every Switch release.
If they keep undershipping why havent they improved it? You cant help but think theres some bias going on with this despite people saying that businesses don't have any

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If they keep undershipping why havent they improved it? You cant help but think theres some bias going on with this despite people saying that businesses don't have any
If they are using the same preorders extrapolation on Switch than on PS4 then yes it could explain why they are undershooting it (PS4 audience is more likely to preorder than the Switch audience).

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS4 declined, why wouldn't the PS5?

There's a difference between PS5 declining to 8 million sales lifetime and then there's claiming the PS5 will sell as bad as the Vita did with less than 6 million units.

It feels like you get that number from Sony doing no price cuts or revisions to the PS5 and that somehow third party support is non-existent for the PS5 for the first two years.

Xbox has to exceed the 360's "success" before it is worth discussing in this thread IMO,

That's why that part of the post was not directed at you. If you don't care about Xbox until it's successful in Japan then you don't need to waste your time discussing about it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

Well it's this kind of mindset that has led to a decline of the Japanese console market. Sony and MS can make a difference if they invest more in Japanese studios with a focus on the Japanese market. It's not like these games will do low numbers world wide because Japanese games have sold well worldwide if they're good and polished. We need more AAA studios from Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the Koei Tecmo & Dynasty Warriors note they're teasing announcements for this year as it's the 20th Anniversary. They were teasing Samurai Warriors 5 last year as well so possibly a big year for them.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They are also involved with three of the biggest Q1 games with P5S, One Piece Warriors 4 and Nioh 2.

Well I thought the same with Sega and Atlus last year. Mario + Sonic, P5R and Sakura Wars then they turn around said software more or less underperformed. I don't know if the situation has changed with Mario+Sonic legs and Yakuza but I worry about their domestic sales.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt the early access matters for Japanese market, especially so for Dreams for which 993 here is just atrocious.
In general, I don't think early access influence the game's performance as much as people here think.
Early access is aimed at the most hardcore audience, which is a very small market segment.
There are lots of games with early access, yet still manage to launch successfully.

Dreams is a game which success will matter in its longevity. Interms of Community Creations and Current game which are developed.

Its performance on PS5 will make or break the game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of a weird question as the American market shrank as well this gen. Anyway, you invest to expand a market.

That always get glossed over.

When people talk about the US console market the comparison is always pared down to PS4/XBO vs PS3/360 and ignores any comparison for PSP, DS and Wii. The total hardware market in the US contracted by a significant margin this last gen.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between PS5 declining to 8 million sales lifetime and then there's claiming the PS5 will sell as bad as the Vita did with less than 6 million units.

It feels like you get that number from Sony doing no price cuts or revisions to the PS5 and that somehow third party support is non-existent for the PS5 for the first two years.

The PS4 wasn't backwards compatible with the PS3, so the PS3 had a different library and market than the PS4. However the PS5 will act like a PS4 Pro2 until there are exclusives that are not coming to the PS4. PS4's LTD number is currently ~1.5M below PS3, PS3 had a higher price tag than the PS4 at launch and PS4 came in at a value price, had early current gen exclusives that the japanese market cared about, and even more announced, I mean even FF7R was announced in the PS4's 2nd year (in Japan).

A 5M to 7M sales range is optimistic in terms of "Vita-like sales", and where you think 8M is reasonable, I think it could sell 5 to 7 Million, that really isn't such a big difference, and is simply my opinion based on all the factors I've talked about. It's not like 5 to 7 Million would be a disaster for the PS5, it will still sell much better outside Japan, and that is still far more than the last 3 generations of Nintendo Japanese consoles, outside of the Wii. I'd love to know why you think a higher priced console, finding many of it's exclusives going multiplatform next gen, and even with your own possibility of the Xbox finding some success in Japan, will somehow mean that the PS5 can only lose 1 Million units after 6 years on the market.
That's why that part of the post was not directed at you. If you don't care about Xbox until it's successful in Japan then you don't need to waste your time discussing about it.
Odd response, since I did end up discussing it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dreams is a game which success will matter in its longevity. Interms of Community Creations and Current game which are developed.

Its performance on PS5 will make or break the game.

That's the exact same excuse people use for Labo lol.
And Labo at least sold decently at launch.
Dreams started from awful number. It will take a lot to turn it around.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Every console market globally shrank this gen. Japan is still the second largest national console market by a large margin despite that though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I can't help but think it's very much a "Let's wait and see what the PS5 will do for the franchise" game for some people. I'm certainly interested, but I've no overwhelming need to own it now. Indeed, I'd be unsurprised if there's an intent for a relaunch at that point, and I'm content to wait and see until then.