• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we assuming SF6 won't have an exclusivity deal with Sony?
wouldn't shock me if MS made certain they get every Capcom game this time. if it means matching Sony offers to prevent exclusivity, they'll do it. given that better selling games didn't get snapped up, I think Capcom are more looking towards multiplatting everything they can

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Persona 4: Golden is a PS Vita exclusive and pretty much qualifies for a game that was a significant software seller.

Meanwhile, Falcom prioritised PS Vita games over PS4. Ys: Memories of Celceta released on PS Vita and didn't get a PS4 port for years.

Then you also have Ys8 which was supposed to be a multiplatform release but released first on PS Vita and then on PS4 ten months later.

Ok but it doesn't mean new games can't appear on the PS5. For one, that Project Re: Fantasy game from Atlus still doesn't have a release date yet.

It's actually better if Japanese developers make some new IP, this gen should have told Japanese developers to stop making iterative sequel after sequel on one console gen because all they are doing is selling the same kind of game to the same audience, if you don't look for new audiences to appeal to then your franchises are just going to stagnate or decline.

Again... From the platform side, it's bad for Sony if games are getting split between PS4 and Vita. It helps to keep the audience active on the PS4 by having games release for it regardless of the budget level. That's what consolidating the platform is for.

I've already given the example with Ys8, that was planned as a multiplatform release but the PS4 version released ten months after the PS Vita release. It doesn't help PS4 if it's not released simultaneously, Sony relies on third party sales to sell their hardware which leads to more software sales.

Yes, third parties aren't trapped to a single platform. That's why some Nintendo console exclusives are now multiplatform with PS4 like Yokai Watch 4 and Ace Attorney. The worst case scenario for Sony is if the majority of third parties go exclusive with Nintendo but that won't happen unless Sony has a home console that sells like the Wii U worldwide.

This is going to keep going back and forth and I've already noted what Chris1964 and Principate said so I'll just move onto the next part of your post...

This is the weirdest thing I have read all day. I don't think you read my posts clearly enough, I even posted the sources for the quotes of what Capcom said here.

I even posted a quote last week when Capcom said long ago that their plans for the Switch were multiplatform game development.

If you're implying that I'm a Sony fanboy then your post goes from weird to hilariously baffling.
I would like to you to go back and actually look at release schedules and sales charts from the era we're discussing. Nothing you've claimed can be supported by the actual data. P4G released in June of 2012, nearly 2 years before the Playstation 4 was released. The Vita's impact on the PS4 is so minimal (good or bad) that it's hardly worth mentioning and certainly not enough blame the poor early PS4 sales on... and the factors that did hurt it early (the PS3 and outside competition) are definitely still in effect with the PS5.

As for my last statement... it's mostly hyperbole. You've had this weird double speak in your argument about AAA games that I was poking at (or trying to). Capcom is really the only company that hasn't shown an increased interest in the Switch, but they're also a company with a long history of changing their minds.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
And y'all complain about discussing comgnet pre orders. There's already a thread for discussing nonsense HW predictions/hypotheticals which never come remotely close to being accurate.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
As for my last statement... it's mostly hyperbole. You've had this weird double speak in your argument about AAA games that I was poking at (or trying to).

So you were throwing up a straw man because you thought you could catch me on something I never said...

Noted.

And y'all complain about discussing comgnet pre orders. There's already a thread for discussing nonsense HW predictions/hypotheticals which never come remotely close to being accurate.

I agree considering I ignored the last two pages that kept going on about tech specs speculation.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just to go off topic and discuss sales for a bit do we have any anecdotes regarding stock of he switch lite? I know there was extra stock around but surely if it continues to sell insane amounts like this week that will run out quickly.

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Series X with Danganronpa as a launch title will have record engagement numbers and boost Game Pass subscribers in Japan. One of the most highly anticipated hardware launches in 2020 for sure.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter 6 is gonna go high end. wouldn't be surprised if they're looking into competing properly with Mortal Kombat. moving to RE Engine and throwing crazy effects on screen. I definitely don't expect something that'll run on PS4's hardware. switch 2 maybe, but Capcom doesn't have much interest in supporting nintendo

SF6 could still very easily scale ... I mean crap, even SFIV which is supposedly a PS3/360 tier title scaled down to 3DS just fine.

Mortal Kombat is on Switch just fine also.

No one is spending a Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 budget on a Street Fighter game.

Capcom and most Japanese third parties made up their minds early this gen and changing that half way through just wasn't a big incentive since PS4 was selling well enough even in Japan to that point.

Next gen, now that they've seen Switch sales, not just hardware sales, but impressive software sales I think will be a bit of a different story.

When Capcom made the exclusivity deal with Sony it did seem like a good bet ... Nintendo was completely floundering with Wii U and 3DS looked like smartphones were destroying large chunks of its marketshare, XBox got off to a poor start against PS4. These factors are different now especially on the Switch front.

Capcom did not support the DS much either back in the day, but when 3DS rolled around they were allllll over it because they saw the success Nintendo had in that area.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I wasted so many hours in the lead up to the Switch reading about theories and random numbers, FP16, Pascal, die shrinks and in the end we ended up with an underclocked stock Tegra X1. Since then I'm allergic to that kind of talk.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'm expecting a little less than PS4, but a modern and up to date features set and a big effort on engines compatibility and the capacity to receive downports.
(I hope it makes sense, I'm no techie at all lol)
same, I'm not really a techie but have the same expectations.
I think docked will be a little less than ps4 level. It'll be able to get the games it needs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not even convinced it'll be stronger than a ps4

All of Nintendo's portables have been a full generational leap from GBA to DS to 3DS to Switch is basically SNES to Playstation to PS2 to PS3/Wii U+.

Even then, a base PS4 game could cripple a PS5/XBSX fairly easily. Take that resolution up to 4K and now you're really dicey to get 60 fps, but add in ray tracing lighting ... and the PS5/XBSX are in a world of trouble trying to run said game.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If an iPad Pro is as powerful as an Xbox One S, maybe we should talk about the imcompetence of Capcom management to choose for PS4 and XBO as platforms of a high-end AAA Monster Hunter game instead of mobile.

What a waste of effort to develop a product like Monster Hunter World for niche platforms like the PS4 rather than a real high-end mass market platform like iOS and Android.

/s obviously. But...

Let the thread derail begin. To save us from hardware speculation.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
If an iPad Pro is as powerful as an Xbox One S, maybe we should talk about the imcompetence of Capcom management to choose for PS4 and XBO as platforms of a high-end AAA Monster Hunter game instead of mobile.

What a waste of effort to develop a product like Monster Hunter World for niche platforms like the PS4 rather than a real high-end mass market platform like iOS and Android.

/s obviously. But...

Let the thread derail begin. To save us from hardware speculation.

Summoning MH talks to end another discussion... What a bold move, Let's see if it pays :)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There were two restocks for OG Switch and Ring Fit Adventure, midweek and weekend. Small quantities but that will be the way Nintendo moves from now until new shipments arrive from China.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
That doesn't amount to much when you know that the lion's share of sales come from the top 3 (with OP and MHA having the biggest share of all)

There's a Kazé manga ahead of it, that says it all

Sure, Dragon Ball (and super) looks like some confidential indies hit, no way that move a lot

In 2018 first and third sold mangas where DBS 3 and 4 (100k+ and 80k+ units) OPM 10 was fourth ar 70k, first one piece volume was sixth. OPM is and huge serie here, there is not really doubts about that, as a whole OP get advantage because there is 90 books, but each volume of OPM can challenge the others top 5 series

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF6 could still very easily scale ... I mean crap, even SFIV which is supposedly a PS3/360 tier title scaled down to 3DS just fine.

Mortal Kombat is on Switch just fine also.

No one is spending a Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 budget on a Street Fighter game.

Capcom and most Japanese third parties made up their minds early this gen and changing that half way through just wasn't a big incentive since PS4 was selling well enough even in Japan to that point.

Next gen, now that they've seen Switch sales, not just hardware sales, but impressive software sales I think will be a bit of a different story.

When Capcom made the exclusivity deal with Sony it did seem like a good bet ... Nintendo was completely floundering with Wii U and 3DS looked like smartphones were destroying large chunks of its marketshare, XBox got off to a poor start against PS4. These factors are different now especially on the Switch front.

Capcom did not support the DS much either back in the day, but when 3DS rolled around they were allllll over it because they saw the success Nintendo had in that area.
By scaling, I'm more talking about feature set rather that theoretical performance numbers. Playstation's arch is old. Shit, Navi will be too outdated by the time of PS5's launch since it will be missing features. Fighting games can to be the cream of the crop graphically because they aren't doing too much to maintain 60fps. That'll give Capcom a lot of room to push whatever engine to new highs.

I say "maybe switch 2" because while it'll definitely support things like VRS, other things may be cut due to the mobile nature. We'll have to wait and see

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that, I'd always understood SCE started as a core group spinning out of SEL and chartered by Ogha in 1993 after that team's SFC CD project imploded. It seems weird to me then that SME would continue game publishing after that if they'd basically built SCE and handed them all their software R&D and overseas publishing branches.
The origin of PlayStation came from Kutaragi's will to develop a console using Sony's know-how.
This desire stemmed from two events that happened to him in the early '80s:
1) The introduction of the Famicom in 1983 which he appreciated (he thought it was cutting edge for what was its purpose).
2) Witnessing first hand to the capabilities of a DSP developed by a group within Sony that could render textured 3D in real time in 1984 called System G (the application field was to produce digital images for TV stations).
To make you realize how far ahead SystemG was at the time, the first coin op with 3D graphics was released by Atari in 1983 and it used flat shaded polygons.

The easiest path to approach this new business segment was decided to be to partner with the industry leader and then steal away the market using Sony superior technical prowess therefore they signed a contract with Nintendo for the Super Famicom's sound chip and to develop jointly a new CD based console based on Super Famicom (the fabled Nintendo Play Station).
Nintendo on the other hand didn't want a big corporation like Sony to enter their turf and thus they blew up the deal by announcing another partnership with Philips.
When Sony was faced with this new reality part of the management didn't want to continue to develop a console on their own however Kutaragi, by leveraging Ohga hurt pride, convinced the Sony CEO to go on.
The problem was that Kutaragi was in the mid of the management ranking and didn't have good relationship with many upper managers so the project was in danger to never came out anyway.
The solution was to assign Kutaragi and the team of 9 engineers to SME which had Murayama who was a supported of Kuratagi's vision.
If Kutaragi was the visionary without whom PlayStation could have never been created, Ohga and Murayama were the enablers that let the project off ground.
Now PlayStation is a pillar of Sony but there was a time when part of the company didn't understand why Sony should enter a market which was regarded as low tech and for kids and when factions within Sony actually favored alternative platforms like the CDi group.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The origin of PlayStation came from Kutaragi's will to develop a console using Sony's know-how.
This desire stemmed from two events that happened to him in the early '80s:
1) The introduction of the Famicom in 1983 which he appreciated (he thought it was cutting edge for what was its purpose).
2) Witnessing first hand to the capabilities of a DSP developed by a group within Sony that could render textured 3D in real time in 1984 called System G (the application field was to produce digital images for TV stations).
To make you realize how far ahead SystemG was at the time, the first coin op with 3D graphics was released by Atari in 1983 and it used flat shaded polygons.

The easiest path to approach this new business segment was decided to be to partner with the industry leader and then steal away the market using Sony superior technical prowess therefore they signed a contract with Nintendo for the Super Famicom's sound chip and to develop jointly a new CD based console based on Super Famicom (the fabled Nintendo Play Station).
Nintendo on the other hand didn't want a big corporation like Sony to enter their turf and thus they blew up the deal by announcing another partnership with Philips.
When Sony was faced with this new reality part of the management didn't want to continue to develop a console on their own however Kutaragi, by leveraging Ohga hurt pride, convinced the Sony CEO to go on.
The problem was that Kutaragi was in the mid of the management ranking and didn't have good relationship we many upper managers so the project was in danger to never came out anyway.
The solution was to assign Kutaragi and the team of 9 engineers to SME which had Murayama who was a supported of Kuratagi's vision.
If Kutaragi was the visionary without whom PlayStation could have never been created, Ohga and Murayama were the enablers that let the project off ground.
Now PlayStation is a pillar of Sony but there was a time when part of the company didn't understood why Sony should enter a market which was regarded as low tech and for kids and when factions within Sony actually favored alternative platforms like the CDi group.
Nice read and from the sound of it Kutagari was a visionary that shaped the industry. It's a pity he had to step down from his visionary role later on.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Glad to see someone else acknowledge this part. People always paint Sony as the victim and that the PlayStation wouldn't have existed if Nintendo didn't "betray" Sony. The reality was that both companies were trying to exploit each other and kick them out the market. If the partnership had continued on, Nintendo would've ended up like IBM did after partnering with Microsoft.The PlayStation would still exist, but will simply be a very different console. Your whole post is a good summary of PlayStation history.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
i'm not even convinced it'll be stronger than a ps4

Raw flops maybe not in the GPU side but with the improved feature set and architecture it should be able to outdue it docked.

CPU wise there isn't much chance it'll be weaker. The CPU in the PS4 and XBox One is bad. The only thing holding back the current Switch is number of cores and clocks. Both of those things will be easily remedied in a 2023 piece of hardware.

I dunno. I think you guys underestimate tech improvements from 2014 hardware.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This is a 3 days weekend. Sunday 23 and Monday 24 are national holidays (Emperor's Birthday), sales will be stronger than usual.

Dengeki Sales: Week 7, 2020 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 7, 2020 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

01./00. [NSW] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) {2020.02.13} - 54,783 / NEW
02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} - 12,911 / 651,344
03./03. [NSW] Pokemon Sword (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} - 12,319 / 1,529,121
04./04. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} - 11,259 / 1,301,341
05./01. [PS4] Granblue Fantasy: Versus (Cygames) {2020.02.06} - 10,446 / 96,836
06./07. [NSW] Pokemon Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} - 9,719 / 1,037,174
07./05. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} - 9,394 / 147,654
08./08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} - 8,247 / 3,627,571
09./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} - 7,182 / 2,578,369
10./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V: Champion Edition (Capcom) {2020.02.14} - 6,977 / NEW
11./00. [PS4] Death end re;Quest2 (Compile Heart) {2020.02.13} - 6,427 / NEW
12./06. [PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega) {2020.01.16} - 6,060 / 235,912
13./11. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} - 5,276 / 1,341,407
14./10. [PS4] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.01.16} - 5,200 / 152,253
15./12. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} - 4,771 / 600,431
16./13. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) {2019.11.01} - 4,544 / 282,308
17./14. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 4,282 / 3,223,610
18./15. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} - 4,200 / 810,263
19./17. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25} - 3,511 / 399,684
20./16. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 3,122 / 1,170,381
21./18. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) {2019.01.11} - 2,829 / 812,443
22./20. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S - Definitive Edition (Square Enix) {2019.09.27} - 2,556 / 506,445
23./21. [PS4] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Atlus) {2019.11.28} - 1,844 / 72,509
24./22. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} - 1,835 / 458,020
25./25. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Master Edition (Capcom) {2019.09.06} - 1,681 / 464,407
26./19. [PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 (Koei Tecmo) {2020.01.16} - 1,553 / 32,550
27./23. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) {2019.07.26} - 1,476 / 306,525
28./28. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield Double Pack (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} - 1,456 / 431,187
29./27. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Edition (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2019.11.07} - 1,386 / 20,343
30./26. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} - 1,341 / 1,911,331
31./29. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ (Level 5) {2019.12.05} - 1,189 / 80,660
32./31. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) {2019.10.17} - 1,176 / 130,664
33./36. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} - 1,165 / 816,813
34./32. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.10.25} - 1,113 / 214,024
35./34. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.10.10} - 1,071 / 153,183
36./00. [PS4] Dreams Universe (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.02.14} - 993 / NEW
37./00. [PS4] Dead by Daylight: The Story of the Yamaoka Family (3goo) {2020.02.13} - 970 / NEW
38./37. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) {2019.09.20} - 950 / 252,705
39./57. [PS4] ARK: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft) {2017.10.26} - 945 / 176,629
40./41. [NSW] FIFA 20 Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts) {2019.09.27} - 906 / 52,371
41./47. [PS4] Minecraft Starter Collection (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.01.16} - 894 / 5,331
42./49. [NSW] Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate [Best Price] (Capcom) {2018.11.15} - 873 / 50,576
43./24. [NSW] Tokyo Mirage Session FE Encore (Nintendo) {2020.01.17} - 861 / 28,880
44./35. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal (Atlus) {2019.10.31} - 850 / 254,867
45./39. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) {2019.06.27} - 819 / 227,106
46./56. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} - 812 / 917,838
47./53. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] (Sega) {2019.08.08} - 806 / 26,661
48./44. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered [PlayStation Hits] (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2018.07.26} - 769 / 50,269
49./62. [PS4] NBA 2K20 (2K) {2019.09.06} - 767 / 22,416
50./43. [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) {2018.12.20} - 750 / 269,294

Top 50

NSW - 33
PS4 - 17

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2019     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 206,911   | 70.5%    | 14,771,536  | 69.3%   |
| PS4   | 80,905    | 27.6%    | 5,897,376   | 27.7%   |
| 3DS   | 3,895     | 1.3%     | 418,392     | 2.0%    |
| Vita  | 1,396     | 0.5%     | 206,836     | 1.0%    |
| ETC   | 465       | 0.2%     | 31,443      | 0.1%    |
| Total | 293,572   | 100.0%   | 21,325,583  | 100.0%  |
HARDWARE
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
| Model      | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2019     | FY(%)   |
| Switch Lite| 57,778    | 65.1%    | 1,372,094   | 25.2%   |
| Switch     | 21,867    | 24.6%    | 3,019,304   | 55.5%   |
| PS4        | 7,948     | 9.0%     | 916,790     | 16.9%   |
| 3DS        | 1,113     | 1.3%     | 114,316     | 2.1%    |
| Vita       | 26        | 0.0%     | 6,207       | 0.1%    |
| ETC        | 20        | 0.0%     | 6,986       | 0.1%    |
| Total      | 88,752    | 100.0%   | 5,435,697   | 100.0%  |
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 6, 2020 (Feb 03 - Feb 09)

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's not internally developed so there's a different force than Harada behind this decision.

CyberConnect 2 always had a long standing relationship Sony. When 3 companies gave each of the 3 console makers their own exclusive Naruto series they were the ones that churned out the PlayStation games.

Soon they have all the games on all the platforms so their is hope yet. I don't see them as rigid as Harada.

Sep 24, 2019
Weekly-20200224.png

NSW - 11
PS4 - 9

Total: 333 (+134 WoW)

P5S keeps this week from being a total disaster.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By scaling, I'm more talking about feature set rather that theoretical performance numbers. Playstation's arch is old. Shit, Navi will be too outdated by the time of PS5's launch since it will be missing features. Fighting games can to be the cream of the crop graphically because they aren't doing too much to maintain 60fps. That'll give Capcom a lot of room to push whatever engine to new highs.

I say "maybe switch 2" because while it'll definitely support things like VRS, other things may be cut due to the mobile nature. We'll have to wait and see

No one's going to spend that type of money on a Street Fighter game to put it into that visual bracket, it's not worth it. Switch can run even things like Mortal Kombat reasonably well.

To be honest there's really only a small handful of Japanese games that push the existing PS4/XB1 that hard ... FFXV and MH World and that list gets very thin after that. Japanese developers don't have budgets to even push the existing PS4 to its max, things like Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Cyberpunk 2077 run circles around most Japanese developed games. Don't see that changing that much for PS5 and certainly not for fighting games.

But because of 4K resolution and if they want to add ray tracing effects, that alone will bring a PS5 absolutely to its max performance and struggling hard at that. So that's just the way graphics technologies are changing, the emphasis on resolution and real time lighting like ray tracing takes up a massive overhead.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
A standard gen leap is what I'd expect and that's not really anything out of line from past Nintendo portables.
Just as Switch is basically a 360+ I expect the successor to be a PS4+. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be closer to PS4 Pro.
Speaking of, would a 2023 Switch successor be able to have a better CPU than the PS4?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Weekly-20200224.png

NSW - 11
PS4 - 9

Total: 333 (+134 WoW)

P5S keeps this week from being a total disaster.

164 for PS5 and 63 for Switch. Didn't thinks it would be that lopsided. It's still a pretty good showing considering it's the first Persona on the platform.

Switch audience hungry!

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Just as Switch is basically a 360+ I expect the successor to be a PS4+. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be closer to PS4 Pro.
Speaking of, would a 2023 Switch successor be able to have a better CPU than the PS4?
Current Switch is more then a 360+, RAM and GPU completely outclass it.
As for the CPU question, technically if the Switchs' CPU had 8 Cores and was clocked the same it would have the same performance as the PS4s'. So they could come out with one right now and it'd out do the PS4 with ease in that regard; GPU and other stuff, more difficult.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And that's fine. And yeah I suspect it won't be that difficult to beat the CPU in the PS4 as it was pretty bad.

But even in that visual range, lets say 1.4 TF undocked, 2.8 TF docked with more modern architecture/effects ... what is going to happen is you'll be able to take that game from Switch 2, bump it to 4K and that is actually going to honestly eat up most of the PS5's processing power right there alone.

I think that's what most Japanese devs are going to opt for next-gen. Even right now most Japanese devs can't afford to make games that push the PS4 as is fully, if you list the top 10-12 games that really push the PS4, there's maybe 1 Japanese game that would make that list, maybe?

With Switch being the overwhelming market leader in Japan and PS4 probably not quite hitting the heights being the console sales rebirth some were hoping for, I think it's something Japanese developers are really going to have to calculate in next-gen design decisions.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Current Switch is more then a 360+, RAM and GPU completely outclass it.
As for the CPU question, technically if the Switchs' CPU had 8 Cores and was clocked the same it would have the same performance as the PS4s'. So they could come out with one right now and it'd out do the PS4 with ease in that regard; GPU and other stuff, more difficult.
Sure, it's a lot more capable, but at the end of the say it's mainly capable of 360 visuals at 1080p or downgraded current gen visuals at very low resolutions. I don't feel calling it a 360+ as shorthand is too inaccurate.
Why would GPU be the hard thing? Switch's GPU was already a few years old at launch and mobile tech is constantly evolving at a fast pace. I don't see why NVidia couldn't make a custom chip for a Switch successor that would beat the then 10 year old PS4, which didn't have the most impressive specs compared to PCs at the time. I look at the 2018 iPad Pro and a GPU that beats PS4 in 2023 seems pretty doable.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I mean DMC5 sold 3.1 million. That'S less than the 3DS entries of Monster Hunter games while beeing on 3 different plateforms. You"re not going to convince me that not having a Switch SKU was a smart move (yes, I know DMCV is the best selling entry in the franchise, but it's a second rate one at best sales wise and nowhere near what Capcom intends their "AAA endeavours" to bring)

" DMC5 greatly exceeded expectations" - Capcom

Meanwhile on Era.
"DMC5 is a second rate one at best sales wise"

Yes lets just assume 3m is bad because any AAA game thats less than 5m is a flop , no such thing as budget,expectations or genre.

Also there is such a thing as development cost to port this engine to the Switch and get it running there smoothly. Maybe its not possible and they need to redo shit from scratch. Who knows.

This is what I think too , they are going to focus on making their engine more scalable. So ports become easier.

Instead of working on making RE Engine scalable. Might as well spend that time and money on making an RE Engine 2 thats better suited for Next gen and easier scalability.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Sure, it's a lot more capable, but at the end of the say it's mainly capable of 360 visuals at 1080p or downgraded current gen visuals and very low resolutions. I don't feel calling it a 360+ as shorthand is too inaccurate.
Why would GPU be the hard thing? Switch's GPU was already a few years old at launch and mobile tech is constantly evolving at a fast pace. I don't see why NVidia couldn't make a custom chip for a Switch successor that would beat the then 10 year old PS4, which didn't have the most impressive specs compared to PCs at the time. I look at the 2018 iPad Pro and a GPU that beats PS4 ib 2023 seems pretty doable.
I said that because mobile GPU tech hasn't been advancing as quickly as the CPU side of things.
Personally I think Switch 2 will just about make it to that level of performance by 2023, but you have to take size, heat dissipation, power use, etc into equation.

I feel the future will become clearer when Nvidia's new GPU series is released later this year.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 8 2020 :

Each point represent one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons - 260 pts (+54 pts)
2. Final Fantasy VII Remake - 196 pts (+13 pts)
3. Resident Evil 3 Version Z - 52 pts (+6 pts)
4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX - 29 pts (+8 pts)
5. Nioh 2 - 26 pts (+5 pts)
6. The Last of Us Part II - 21 pts (+1 pt)
7. Sword Art Online Alicization - 17 pts (+4 pts)
8. One Piece Warriors 4 (NSW) - 16 pts (+0 pt)
9. One Piece Warriors 4 (PS4) - 13 pts (+0 pt)
10. Trials of Mana (PS4) - 13 pts (+2 pts)
11. Touhou Sky Arena Special Edition (NSW) - 12 pts (+0 pt)
12. Trials of Mana (NSW) - 12 pts (+1 pt)
13. Resident Evil 3 Version Z Collector Edition - 11 pts (+0 pt)
14. Kowloon Yuma ORIGIN OF ADVENTURE - 8 pts (+0 pt)
15. The Fox Awaits Me Special Edition - 8 pts (+0 pt)
16. Kin-iro Loveriche (PS4) - 8 pts (+0 pt)
17. Watch Dogs Legion - 7 pts (NEW)
18. My Hero Academia One's Justice 2 (NSW) - 6 pts (NEW)
19. Kin-iro Loveriche Special Edition (PSV) - 6 pts (NEW)
20. Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts - 5 pts (NEW)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that because mobile GPU tech hasn't been advancing as quickly as the CPU side of things.
Personally I think Switch 2 will just about make it to that level of performance by 2023, but you have to take size, heat dissipation, power use, etc into equation.

I feel the future will become clearer when Nvidia's new GPU series is released later this year.
I don't think we can really use how mobile gpus evolve to make assertions about how the Switch 2 could be. mobile gpus don't have active cooling save for select niche phones, and even then, the cooling is much smaller than the Switch's

maxresdefault.jpg

not to mention, the average phone has to, at most, decode video or play a mobile game that has 3DS-esque 3D graphics. gpus don't need to advance to fast. Apple says their gpu can beat the 360/PS4 and touch current gen (with their ipads) but they've yet to really prove it

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
RE Engine (redundant name) is supposed to be Capcom's party piece. So was MT Framework when they made a big deal about Street Fighter and Resident Evil on 3DS. The stakes are much higher this time though. I think it's worth it though.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Fair, but I think with were mobile GPUs are right now and the coming Ampere architecture that Switch 2 should be able to easily beat PS4's GPU. Of course if Ampere disappoints then maybe not, but I think it'll result in a big boost for Switch 2. Plus I expect the GPU to be purpose built for the machine, but with the catch that NVidia can use it in their own products.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I don't think we can really use how mobile gpus evolve to make assertions about how the Switch 2 could be. mobile gpus don't have active cooling save for select niche phones, and even then, the cooling is much smaller than the Switch's

maxresdefault.jpg

not to mention, the average phone has to, at most, decode video or play a mobile game that has 3DS-esque 3D graphics. gpus don't need to advance to fast. Apple says their gpu can beat the 360/PS4 and touch current gen (with their ipads) but they've yet to really prove it
I was mainly going off Tegra's progress in the field:
K1- 326Gflops
X1- 500Gflops
X2- 750Gflops
(A Turing X3 would of probably been about 900 or less Gflops)

This is why we have to wait for the next gen GPU, to see if its going to be a big jump or not. If it is then they'd be on track to reach PS4 tier in a fair amount of time. If not, then it might take too long.

On a side note, the RM3 is a really cool phone, and the performance is really good.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I was mainly going off Tegra's progress in the field:
K1- 326Gflops
X1- 500Gflops
X2- 750Gflops
(A Turing X3 would of probably been about 900 or less Gflops)

This is why we have to wait for the next gen GPU, to see if its going to be a big jump or not. If it is then they'd be on track to reach PS4 tier in a fair amount of time. If not, then it might take too long.

On a side note, the RM3 is a really cool phone, and the performance is really good.
NVidia has slowed down because their mobile chips are mainly being made for cars and such now, but that wouldn't be the case of they build a custom one for Switch 2.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple will overtake the PS4 in a mobile processor likely this year with A14X (or whatever they chose to call the successor to the chip that's in the 2018 iPad Pro). Apple A12X is going to be two years old this fall, that's XBox One S in performance, two years on and sorry buh-bye PS4 ... you're likely getting beaten.

Nvidia isn't incompetent, they're not going to need two years+ to catch up to where Apple is at.

Nvidia is not "slowing down", they have the best graphics engineers on the planet, just because they're not showing you what they're working on and the only thing you have to go on is components made for self driving cars means nothing.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Apple will overtake the PS4 in a mobile processor likely this year with A13X. Apple A12X is going to be two years old this fall, that's XBox One S in performance, two years on and sorry buh-bye PS4 ... you're likely getting beaten.

Nvidia isn't incompetent, they're not going to need two years+ to catch up to where Apple is at.

Nvidia is not "slowing down", they have the best graphics engineers on the planet, just because they're not showing you what they're working on and the only thing you have to go on is components made for self driving cars means nothing.
In terms of consumer mobile GPUs they have slowed down, but yes we shouldn't be basing their capabilities on chips not made for gaming or even phones.