• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 7, 2021 (15 Feb - 21 Feb)

01./01. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo) {2021.02.12}
02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./03. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./05. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}

Top 5

NSW - 5

(South Korea)

02./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
04./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 2 月 15 日~2 月 21 日一週銷售排行榜 《瑪利歐 3D 世界+狂怒》蟬聯三地榜首

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 《超級瑪利歐 3D 世界 + 狂怒世界》 前週上市的任天堂本家 Switch 主力強作《超級瑪利歐 3D 世界 + 狂怒世界》當週仍穩居日台韓三地冠軍,不過除了該款遊戲之外,

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
(Taiwan)

02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./03. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./05. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}

Top 5

NSW - 5

(South Korea)

02./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
04./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 2 月 15 日~2 月 21 日一週銷售排行榜 《瑪利歐 3D 世界+狂怒》蟬聯三地榜首

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 《超級瑪利歐 3D 世界 + 狂怒世界》 前週上市的任天堂本家 Switch 主力強作《超級瑪利歐 3D 世界 + 狂怒世界》當週仍穩居日台韓三地冠軍,不過除了該款遊戲之外,

Impressive to see Ring Fit continue to sell so well in Taiwan and South Korea. Thanks for sharing!

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope that next mainline Pokemon game doesn't go completely Open World, but instead be somewhat a hybrid like something in the vein of Xenoblade 1/2

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I do hope that next mainline Pokemon game doesn't go completely Open World, but instead be somewhat a hybrid like something in the vein of Xenoblade 1/2

There's "open world" in the sense of "a seamless large world without loading screens" and then there's "open world" in the sense of "you can go anywhere you want from the start of the game with no gates." I'm sure progress in Gen IX will continue to be somewhat gated, for plot and game design reasons.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
A bit of a surprising news here. Nintendo announced they are partnered with depa for their "Game Accelerator Program" to support game developers in Thailand. They will have a session in the program about developing and publishing games on the Switch. And supporting the Switch devkit and publishing game on the Switch for the winner team. (At least that's what I'm getting) So yeah, that's one step for them to get into the Asia market more.
So is that like Nintendo's Thai version of Sony's China Hero Project?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
it could be that LoA is going for a more serious or somber atmosphere, something the playful blue and yellow can't represent.
I think you are thinking a bit too hard about it. They changed the logo's color to make Legends stand out among all other Pokemon media, changing the logo colors for the first time signals: Hey, this is something new and different and it's major enough that we even change the logo for it.

I think this is pretty clever actually, as it helps portraying Legends as a big deal despite it not being the start of a new generation (or what is traditionally understood as a mainline Pokemon game). They are treading new grounds here and the logo reflects that.

This also seems to be the first time the international Pokemon logo is used for a game in Japan? I've probably missed a game where it was used before, but having a quick glance only PokePark seems to have used the international logo before and even that only partly.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations can't be low for what is certainly the most expensive Pokémon game ever. Open worlds don't grow on trees.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure designing/creating 100 Pokemon by entries is more expensive than making an open world
No way especially since that's the one area where they have the most experience in the industry.
But I also feel like they can't be expecting this game to sell on par to something like Sword and Shield.

I wanna say somewhere between mainline games and remakes
Yeah new generations just have a huge advantage, it's not likely unless it blows up with word of mouth like BOTW or Animal Crossing which is a tall order and not to be expected too often.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Odds are pretty good that Legends also has some amount of new Pokemon, IMO- they just didn't lead off with that because they didn't want to set unreasonable expectations when it was the open world they wanted to emphasise.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Expectations can't be low for what is certainly the most expensive Pokémon game ever. Open worlds don't grow on trees.
Expectations aren't low, 10-15 million WW is still a whopping number and pretty much in line with typical mainline Pokemon games. Setting expectations straight to SwSh levels is a bit too early at this point imo.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Expectations aren't low, 10-15 million WW is still a whopping number and pretty much in line with typical mainline Pokemon games. Setting expectations straight to SwSh levels is a bit too early at this point imo.
Let me rephrase, expectations can't be lower than an outsourced 1:1 remake of a DS game.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
No way especially since that's the one area where they have the most experience in the industry.

Yeah new generations just have a huge advantage, it's not likely unless it blows up with word of mouth like BOTW or Animal Crossing which is a tall order and not to be expected too often.

The fact that pretty much nobody does as many as them in the industry strikes me as something that insane to do without their experience, and maybe it's easier for them, but that don't make it easy.

From what I guess, the bigger problem with this new approach is to have a really good ans stable planning and a set scope, combined with balancing to adapt the new game system. it's hard sure, but I won't set it in the same bag as create hundred of coherent creatures, from which the majority have to please most of the fanbase, model them, create their unique skeleton and animation set

Imo LoA is gonna sell in the same range than DP, around 11-12M (supposed that the game have the classic GF quality, good, but not excellent)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They have in any case improved the models and animations in Legends which also comes with a cost. They also have been introducing new Pokémon in every game since USUM so we can safely assume there will be some too.
I just think it would be very hard to greenlight such an expensive project if they thought a simple remake could sell more at the same price.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Let me rephrase, expectations can't be lower than an outsourced 1:1 remake of a DS game.

I agree with you, but Legends being a single player game and having no multiplayer components, trading, and gym battles has me a little hesitant on how big it's sales potential is.

Like I definitely see it selling more than BDSP, but at the same time if those remakes end up selling more I wouldn't be surprised only due to nostalgia and features it may have over Legends.

Edit: Though it won't be surprising if the remakes end up selling more than Legend in Japan.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
They have in any case improved the models and animations in Legends which also comes with a cost. They also have been introducing new Pokémon in every game since USUM so we can safely assume there will be some too.
I just think it would be very hard to greenlight such an expensive project if they thought a simple remake could sell more at the same price.
The models are still the same, and I might be wrong but from what I saw, I think animations are too (but that's just based on what we saw, so not much)
my bigger hope is that they are beginning to use normal maps

but how the animations are linked and the fx seems to be way better than what they usually do, which might be pretty gamechanger

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that more and more people think BotW2 will not be a 2021 title kinda breaks my heart...I was so ready for it

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same models. We just saw a potential tweak to Cyndaquil where it's flame might always be lit like in it's current attack animation .

Odds are pretty good that Legends also has some amount of new Pokemon, IMO- they just didn't lead off with that because they didn't want to set unreasonable expectations when it was the open world they wanted to emphasise.
Let's Go added one new Pokemon line and it's possible they do the same here, but it's not going to be like a new generation or anything.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The models are still the same, and I might be wrong but from what I saw, I think animations are too (but that's just based on what we saw, so not much)
my bigger hope is that they are beginning to use normal maps

but how the animations are linked and the fx seems to be way better than what they usually do, which might be pretty gamechanger
There's evidence that the models are more detailed this time around, and attack animations now have them move towards the opponent and stuff

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Also another thing I'm worried about when it comes to Game Freak going open world is that the game may end up being barebones due to them focusing on the technical aspects as well as the world. Like as much as I love Breath of the wild going open world for the first time it came at the expense of dungeons. Now picture this with Game Freak.

I just hope the gameplay loop won't be barebones. The good thing is they still have lots of time until they show it off again. Still expecting a delay tbh

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also another thing I'm worried about when it comes to Game Freak going open world is that the game may end up being barebones due to them focusing on the technical aspects as well as the world. Like as much as I love Breath of the wild going open world for the first time came at the expense of dungeons. Now picture this with Game Freak who's pedigree isn't as high.

I just hope the gameplay loop won't be barebones. The good thing is they still have lots of time until they show it off again. Still expecting a delay tbh
IIRC, not including "traditional" temples was a deliberate decision, they weren't missing because Aounuma & co. focused on the technical stuff. It's not like dungeons were replaced with nothing...

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Part of me is like, well, BDSP is going to sell well anyway, so GF gets money somewhere even if Legends doesn't take off as expected. But I dunno how game costs work. The planned release of the two games so close to each other feels like they're somehow in unison too. Though it's probably just the whole Sinnoh-thematic.

Anyway, I expect Legends to sell well but I expect BDSP to sell well too. Will be interesting to see how the numbers go.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, not including "traditional" temples was a deliberate decision, they weren't missing because Aounuma & co. focused on the technical stuff. It's not like dungeons were replaced with nothing...

I guess, but like the dungeons compared to other Zelda games are average at best in botw. However, that interesting that you say that but I assume some things had to be given up considering this was their first time going open world with the series.

Either way my point was that Game Freak going open world seems like an incredibly huge task and a scary one from a technical aspect.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Nintendo also has an initiative with Digipen Singapore to help developers release Switch games.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's weird that the D/P remakes and Legends are so close to each other. Wouldn't the release of Legends severely hamper the legs of D/P?
Some people may say that the remakes and Legends provide different experiences so they won't interfere with each other, but let's not kid ourselves, the Venn diagram of people interested in the remakes and people interested in Legends is almost a circle.
It wouldn't surprise me if they delayed Legends to late 2022.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it's weird that the D/P remakes and Legends are so close to each other. Wouldn't the release of Legends severely hamper the legs of D/P?
D/P remakes will hamper the sales of Legends as much as the remake of Link's Awakening has hampered the sales of BotW (or vice versa).

On the contrary I believe the plan was always to release the remake based on the Sinnoh region before the Pokemon game based on a new formula, but set on Sinnoh, to boost the attention for the new proposition.
I also believe that the stark contrast between BD/SP classic feel and Legends' "brave new world" was intended.

Pokemon Co. is wisely covering all the bases:
- remake with a classic top down view
- mainline game which follow the expected evolution of the canonical games as know until now.
- a new spinoff whose ambitious is so big that they hope it will be successful enough to create a new subseries that could stand along side the canonical games.
- remake influenced by the popular Pokemon Go
- smaller spinoff that still are commercially viable (Unite, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Pokken)

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
The fact that pretty much nobody does as many as them in the industry strikes me as something that insane to do without their experience, and maybe it's easier for them, but that don't make it easy.

From what I guess, the bigger problem with this new approach is to have a really good ans stable planning and a set scope, combined with balancing to adapt the new game system. it's hard sure, but I won't set it in the same bag as create hundred of coherent creatures, from which the majority have to please most of the fanbase, model them, create their unique skeleton and animation set

Imo LoA is gonna sell in the same range than DP, around 11-12M (supposed that the game have the classic GF quality, good, but not excellent)
11-12mil for both would lead to BDSP being the least selling Pokemon remake ever and PLA being by far the least selling new mainline Pokemon game ever.
That would be a new low for the series in all departments.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
www.digipen.edu.sg

About DigiPen

Learn more about DigiPen’s dedication to educating the next generation of developers and designers working in Singapore and beyond.

It's existed since 2008 according to the website.

Longer than I thought.

I wonder whether the graduates are staying in Singapore or whether the majority are exchange students. Are prospects of employment in Singapore good in the gaming and art industries?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I guess, but like the dungeons compared to other Zelda games are average at best in botw. However, that interesting that you say that but I assume some things had to be given up considering this was their first time going open world with the series.

Either way my point was that Game Freak going open world seems like an incredibly huge task and a scary one from a technical aspect.

The concept of dungeons still exists outside shrines, though. There are many story path which reminds the idea of going through a dungeon like arriving to the Zora's Domain.

11-12mil for both would lead to BDSP being the least selling Pokemon remake ever and PLA being by far the least selling new mainline Pokemon game ever.

But Game Freak never sold 22-24m units in the same year, though. Also, I very much doubt the remake is going to sell a mere 11-12m.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Longer than I thought.

I wonder whether the graduates are staying in Singapore or whether the majority are exchange students. Are prospects of employment in Singapore good in the gaming and art industries?

Not sure. Some big publishers like Ubisoft and Bandai Namco have studios in Singapore though.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people may say that the remakes and Legends provide different experiences so they won't interfere with each other, but let's not kid ourselves, the Venn diagram of people interested in the remakes and people interested in Legends is almost a circle.
I don't think this is necessarily the case at all. They're completely different games, with totally different gameplay loops. If you're looking for what BDSP are bringing to the table, PLA isn't going to satisfy, and vice versa.

The core Pokemon fanbase will turn out for BDSP, and I imagine the hope is that an audience that wouldn't ordinarily be interested in a Pokemon game, but may, for instance, be interested in Breath of the Wild will turn up for PLA. We can already see the roots of this with BDSP's trailer pulling in bigger numbers on Pokemon's socials, and PLA attracting more interest on more general gaming news sites and channels.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
D/P remakes will hamper the sales of Legends as much as the remake of Link's Awakening has hampered the sales of BotW (or vice versa).

On the contrary I believe the plan was always to release the remake based on the Sinnoh region before the Pokemon game based on a new formula, but set on Sinnoh, to boost the attention for the new proposition.
I also believe that the stark contrast between BD/SP classic feel and Legends' "brave new world" was intended.

- mainline game which follow the expected evolution of the canonical games as know until now.
- a new spinoff whose ambitious is so big that they hope it will be successful enough to create a new subseries that could stand along side the canonical games.
- smaller spinoff that still are commercially viable (Unite, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Pokken)

I have a completely baseless feeling that in an early stage, what was supposed to be a D/P remake using Sw/Sh engine became Legends, but they still needed a D/P remake so they contracted ILCA. This way they have their remakes made by someone else and Game Freak can experiment with open world designs and see if they can be incorporated to next Gen.

Covers why both are Sinnoh and why ILCA was specifically announced as a developer, but still, it's pretty baseless. Then again TPC runs one of the smartest business out there.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
There's evidence that the models are more detailed this time around, and attack animations now have them move towards the opponent and stuff
That's what I said by linking animations, they joined the run annimation, with the kick animation of Lucario, and the claw animation of garchomp with a slide of the model, it doesn't involve new animation, just better "screenplay", and just that can make a lot of difference, coupled with good FX
Do you have a link of the evidences of new models? I'm curious because i saw a lot of these models the last month and noticed nothing particular

I think the expectation for DP remake are lower than these of classic remakes, due to the fact of outsourcing and apparent lack of growing the scope of the remake, so I would put it between the sale of a third version and those of GF-made remakes
And I don't see PLA as the future of the mainline serie as we know it, I expect it more to be a new pillar of the Pokemon Series, as is Pokemon Go, and that in the future we are gonna have 2 main lines on the series, the 9G is gonna return to more closed environnements, arena, trainer, multiplayer and new mons, and in parralel, the Pokemon Legends line, which is gonna come with game system change, and more important structure and game design change.

That's why I expect it to be a new start and things to build from more than a continuation (so as a raw I don't expect it to hit homerun from start, but grow and perfect the formula from that)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see why outsourcing would impact sales tbh. People care about the game in itself rather than exactly who developped it.

DQ was usually outsourced.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was derived from a Latin word, hence the soft c, because it's followed by an e.

Fun fact: the softer c followed by an e or an i is typical of the current romance languages, but in latin the letter c was always pronounced as /k/.

Yup, and each with its own artstyle to differentiate them and maximise sales.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DQ was usually outsourced.
DQ used to be always outsourced. It wasn't until DQIX on DS that SE had an internal team to co-develop with a contracted dev (Level 5 on IX, Orca and Toylogic on X and XI 3D/HD, ArtePiazza on XI 2D).

DQ remakes also used to be developed by the mainline series team and reuse their engines (V/I+II SFC, VI/III SFC, VII/IV PS1) and that didn't change until the 4th remake on PS2 (DQV). Which is the same kinda for Pokémon BDSP.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a link of the evidences of new models? I'm curious because i saw a lot of these models the last month and noticed nothing particular
We talked about it in the Legends thread, a quick noticeable example is the shot with Oshawott where you can see its mouth has been modeled now and isn't a texture anymore (as of now every Pokémon we have a close up shot of shows both the eyes and mouth have been modeled which wasn't the case in SWSH)