• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Idk but I think the situation would still be the same if they released that game on switch,the audience for that otaku centric series isn't there and that tech demo only sells because of people buying it out of curiosity imo

Not one or the other but both. Potable gamers and teens who don't want to play this game on the family TV didn't have an option this time.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Truth to be told after last years shortages and impressive holiday season I expected Switch having higher baseline than this. 40k itself of course is still great but also showing it's normal ''mortal'' after last years craze (falling quite bit behind 3DSs pace and very soon DSs pace). Well soon we will see what Labo does. It is wild card in terms of hw moving power.

It's not like there have been notable releases for Switch after XB2. The sales will pick up when there are new games. And Labo is a wild card as you say.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk but I think the situation would still be the same if they released that game on switch,the audience for that otaku centric series isn't there and that tech demo only sells because of people buying it out of curiosity imo
Then the franchise has no future outside of mobage and spin-offs. Even if we say the sales are a reflection of the fact that this is a remake it still is for all intents and purposes a completely new entry, it's not just a upscaled port of the 3DS game.

I still think the answer is console+portable like they did before.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Girls und Panzer was a really neat anime series and the only of its kind (I forget what people call it, the genre is apparently all about girls and some activity they do, like volleyball or whatever) I actually enjoyed. I mean it had all the moe and cliche stuff but underneath it had charming characters and I really liked the concept of the "way of the tank" or "tankery" (from archery) as it was translated so I looked past the more childish/juvenile aspects. I hope the game is good but it probably just glues itself to the cliches and fan service rather than try to offer some deep story and solid strategic action battles. I'd love to see a more mature take on the IP, something like Girls und Panzer mixed in with So Ra No Wo To (Sound of the Sky) which was more serious and the cliche/moe was just a decoration to its core. Or basically mixed with Valkyria Chronicles if you haven't seen that. Just in case though, any import impressions?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Harsh return to the reality for PS4 HW. Monster Hunter's drop is good though.
Girls und Panzer's performance is quite good compared to recent anime games in the same category. Senran Kagura is back into irrelevancy, and the rest is the same as usual.
The PS4 probably has several thousand more weekly sales to give up before it comes back to reality. Once it's below 30k/week it'll probably be at its baseline.

Seems like 40k may be the Switch's current baseline. Two weeks in a row at close to identical numbers and we are hearing less and less about supply issues. The Switch might not overtake the PS4 YTD until June given the current numbers (much later than I expected)

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The PS4 probably has several thousand more weekly sales to give up before it comes back to reality. Once it's below 30k/week it'll probably be at its baseline.

Seems like 40k may be the Switch's current baseline. Two weeks in a row at close to identical numbers and we are hearing less and less about supply issues. The Switch might not overtake the PS4 YTD until June given the current numbers (much later than I expected)

Nah. Switch will do a lot better in April/May with Golden Week.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I think numbers will be boosted quite a bit in Q2 due to there being actual releases that will do 100k+ FW, like Kirby, Labo, Mario Tennis, maybe DKTF too. So, I think numbers will improve in Q2, over 50k average.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Switch isn't still sold out in Japan for people to be talking about baselines and needing game releases to boost it or what?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think numbers will be boosted quite a bit in Q2 due to there being actual releases that will do 100k+ FW, like Kirby, Labo, Mario Tennis, maybe DKTF too. So, I think numbers will improve in Q2, over 50k average.
Good call, although I didn't really think of any of those as system sellers. Well maybe with the exception of Labo. That's the big unknown. I don't doubt the other games will sell nicely but they don't really strike me as games that will push folks to buy a Switch.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, why does THIS Zelda game in particular seem to have resonated so strongly with Japan?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like there have been notable releases for Switch after XB2. The sales will pick up when there are new games. And Labo is a wild card as you say.

Sure this is normal and these are decent numbers considering situation. Last year it just looked like that Switch could be one of those abnormal consoles that move insane amount of hw weekly even without new software (like DS or to lesser degree 3DS). Well I guess those two were much cheaper (you could use same logic with PS4 too though when compared to cheap handhelds).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about a new Animal Crossing this year? Could that happen? Haven't keeping up with the rumors on the series lately.

Oct 26, 2017
What about a new Animal Crossing this year? Could that happen? Haven't keeping up with the rumors on the series lately.

If Animal Crossing started full development like mid 2016 or so, it's very likely this year.

But we have no idea when Animal Crossing started full development.

Full development of Animal Crossing (at the latest) probably started mid 2017 after Arms and BotW and Splatoon 2 were finished and freed up most of EPD's artists and programmers, but that start time would give a release date of like late 2019.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda legs are crazy. I thought it would drop off after the New Year and struggle to get a million. It's got Mario legs all of a sudden.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
switch is still carried by pre-holiday games since odyssey is the only holiday title amongst the leggy games

switch will be supply constrained while selling more than 40k/w once the games start coming out

i have a feeling 3d world deluxe will come out in 2 or 3 months to capitalize off odyssey's success since it's a title that has more potential in sales than the 5m it sold on wii u, 3d land did 11m+ on 3ds

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 will be below 30k next week though. And it will likely fall further behind, if not for the occasional bumps once a month.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Animal Crossing started full development like mid 2016 or so, it's very likely this year.

But we have no idea when Animal Crossing started full development.

Full development of Animal Crossing (at the latest) probably started mid 2017 after Arms and BotW and Splatoon 2 were finished and freed up most of EPD's artists and programmers, but that start time would give a release date of like late 2019.
When Aya Kyogoku tweeted about the Labo reveal it made me think if that is what they were actually making. I haven't seen reports on who is actually making the games.

But then you'd think Skyward Sword would have done better than it did too, wouldn't you?
The console is probably another thing to consider. The Wii was pretty dead by the time SS came out.

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword is not nearly as well liked as BotW... Game quality matters a lot unless you're in a genre that people like but has no competition (King of the Kill, For Honor, etc).

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Ok..we have one piece of evidence and that evidence is a positive. It also has a history on Nintendo platforms.
It's anything but an evidence.That direct video about emulating the softness boobs was caught by the mainstream attentions,and normally curious people watched the video also bought the game on a popular game device.Actual SK games doesn't seems have anything like that tech demo lol
Not one or the other but both. Potable gamers and teens who don't want to play this game on the family TV didn't have an option this time.
Then the franchise has no future outside of mobage and spin-offs. Even if we say the sales are a reflection of the fact that this is a remake it still is for all intents and purposes a completely new entry, it's not just a upscaled port of the 3DS game.

I still think the answer is console+portable like they did before.
You could say that trasitioning to ps4 was the problem,and that was right.But it's just one problem,the way they milked that niche series to all of its worth is another.Even now if they actually port all those new SK games later on without building an audience later on plus the franchise is on a big decline now,the situation would also be the same,it's doomed either way

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Monster Hunter, this year hasn't been the best for new PS4 releases

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice hold for MHW & decent result for GuP.

PS4 sales finally seems to normalize as well.

And not sure if anyone shared this yet- http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/pickup/15/1003590/022701594/

Monster Hunter World's Asian sales increased 10 times compared to previous entries according to Tsujimoto.

Nice to get confirmation that even in Asia the move to a home console has led to MHW exploding in sales.

Seems like PS4 is in desperate need of a pricecut.

Its in the 4th year (5th WW), which may become its best selling year or close and you think a price cut is needed?

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good call, although I didn't really think of any of those as system sellers. Well maybe with the exception of Labo. That's the big unknown. I don't doubt the other games will sell nicely but they don't really strike me as games that will push folks to buy a Switch.
switch already has system sellers and it is basically the market leader, it'll sell regardless

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
MHW is still doing good numbers :) Also, whats nice about MHW numbers is that even if it should sell zero copies from now on, it has already exceeded basically every expectation, so in a sense, all sales forwards is kinda like an added bonus.

Vena mentioned that PS4 hardware decline was in line with the decline pattern past DQXI, only at higher numbers. Assuming that's still true, it seems that MHW isn't going to raise the baseline up significantly, unfortunately.
It would be unusual if that had happened, it would need more games than just MHW to keep the momentum going. On the PSP, Monster Hunter alone wasnt the sole reason for the increased PSP hardware sales, it was the combination of many games (MH might have contributed to that though).

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It would be unusual if that had happened, it would need more games than just MHW to keep the momentum going. On the PSP, Monster Hunter alone wasnt the sole reason for the increased PSP hardware sales, it was the combination of many games (MH might have contributed to that though).

Its getting a steady stream of releases and they just aren't making an impact.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code:
Week 8 2018:
Switch HW - 39.696(+1%)
Switch SW - 78.943(-26%)

Splatoon 2 - 19K(-11%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 17K(-10%)
Zelda:BotW - 12K(+4%)
Super Mario Odyssey - 11K(-8%)
Mario + Rabbids - 8K(-32%)

Code:
Week 8 2012:
3DS HW - 76.322(-19%)
3DS SW - 161.970(-41%)

Harvest Moon - 81K(new)
Super Mario 3D Land - 21K(+20%)
Mario Kart 7 - 20K(-6%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 17K(+2%)
Resident Evil: Revelations - 12K(-22%)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 10K(-84%)
New Love Plus - 8K(-92%)

Code:
Week 9 2012:
3DS HW - 70.744(-7%)
3DS SW - 162.668

Mario & Sonic - 43K(new)
Harvest Moon - 27K(-66%)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy-  21K(+100%)
Mario Kart 7 - 18K(-9%)
Super Mario 3D Land - 16K(-25%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 15K(-11%)
Resident Evil: Revelations 7K(-39%)

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Those legs on Kingdom Battle. Totally deserved. Hope it stays in the top 20 for a long time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuuuck, I forgot about Pokemon >_>
Pokémon's not single player and if it was it would sell significantly less imo.

Sure this is normal and these are decent numbers considering situation. Last year it just looked like that Switch could be one of those abnormal consoles that move insane amount of hw weekly even without new software (like DS or to lesser degree 3DS). Well I guess those two were much cheaper (you could use same logic with PS4 too though when compared to cheap handhelds).
3DS had a stacked Q1 2012 (Kid Icarus Uprising, RE Revelations, Kingdom Hearts 3D, MGS3D, Theatrythm FF, New Love Plus, Project Mirai, etc) coming off an equally notable Q4 with 3 huge releases (Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, MH3G). It's not at all comparable to the current Switch calendar, 3rd parties were ready for 3DS.

DS was likewise stacked with notable releases in holiday 2005 / early 2006. Price wasn't the biggest difference here.

Status
Not open for further replies.