• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Plot twist, if Atlus were to announce a PS4 version of SMTV (and with the result of P5S on Switch, I don't see the downside) I'm sure that it would chart higher than the Switch version, even though there hasn't been a SMT game for a Sony console in 15+ years. The whole, X game started on X platform so this is why sales are lower nonsense is just that, nonsense. Persona 5 Scramble was a lob toss for the Switch version to do marginally to exceptionally better than the PS4 version and it failed that test.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Plot twist, if Atlus were to announce a PS4 version of SMTV (and with the result of P5S on Switch, I don't see the downside) I'm sure that it would chart higher than the Switch version, even though there hasn't been a SMT game for a Sony console in 15+ years. The whole, X game started on X platform so this is why sales are lower nonsense is just that, nonsense. Persona 5 Scramble was a lob toss for the Switch version to do marginally to exceptionally better than the PS4 version and it failed that test.
Nope.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
smt v would sell more on switch, ps4 version might have a slightly bigger launch but will lose out in LTD numbers

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But SMT doesn't really have an audience on Sony Platforms anymore , what model are you using where would it not sell 2:1 in Nintendos Favor?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Are people really surprised that the guy who concerned trolled switch sales using the typhoon deaths is continuing to troll?
Context continues to matter, despite what you say. Also the idea it had to sell better on the switch than the PS4 to obtain future support is laughable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5S Switch is a failure because it didn't sell better than PS4 😂

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uff huge drop off for Persona 5 Scramble on PS4. For a direct sequel to sell only about half as much as the enhanced remake of the previous entry must sting. Looks like adding a Switch SKU really paid out.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 5S on Switch vs Persona 5 Royal on PS4 it's now obvious.

Cancel SMT5 for Switch and release it exclusively on the PS4 or kiss your business good bye Atlus.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Not happening just like how a Dragon Quest game will 100% sell better on a Nintendo handheld than any other platform in Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After Royal? Because I didn't see Kasumi when I was looking at P5S, so I figured it was just some spinoff thing.

Persona 5S is a direct sequel to the original game, as in it canonically continues the story. They even got cheeky in the advertisement and showed it as Persona 5 2.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
After Royal? Because I didn't see Kasumi when I was looking at P5S, so I figured it was just some spinoff thing.
If you watch the trailer at the end you'll see a 2 attempt to join the title and get tossed away by an S. It's a direct sequel.
youtube.com

Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers - Official Cinematic Gameplay Trailer

Check out Person 5 Scramble's latest action-packed cinematic trailer! Released 2/20/2020より2020年2月20日発売!アトラス×コーエーテクモゲームスが送るペルソナシリーズ初のアクションRPG『ペルソナ5 スクランブル ザ フ...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find the argument "SMTV would sell worse on the PS4 compared to Switch" to be a weird one. The PS4 has been the go-to platform for JRPGs for at least 5 years now with JRPGs selling more on the PS4, including the few simultaneous PS4/Switch JRPG releases. I find it weird that SMTV "wouldn't have an audience" on the PS4, as if its not a JRPG or something.

It's a dumb what if scenario regardless.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Persona audience was the same why is SMT not as popular?

Not enough Characterization and social links crap, too much Demon Pokemon bribing/catching and deciding if you're going to be a benevolent/malevolent or neutral God of the Post Apocalypse Era.

I find the argument "SMTV would sell worse on the PS4 compared to Switch" to be a weird one. The PS4 has been the go-to platform for JRPGs for at least 5 years now with JRPGs selling more on the PS4, including the few simultaneous PS4/Switch JRPG releases. I find it weird that SMTV "wouldn't have an audience" on the PS4, as if its not a JRPG or something.

It's a dumb what if scenario regardless.

This alternate view of the timeline only works if you completely ignore handhelds.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
he's clearly a troll/gimmick and it baffles me that everyone is just like "aww but he's so cute let's keep him!"
They are an unabashed Sony fan, but they're not a troll. As long as someone's not an asshole, I don't see a big deal with being transparently pro any particular Japanese company in these threads.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You didn't say that for Nintendo when Yokai Watch 4++ sold less than 4k on the PS4! :(
If YW was to become a Nintendo exclusive again I'd completely understand it due to low sales on PlayStation and lesser low sales on the switch. I'd be surprised if the next one isn't switch/mobile exclusive.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This alternate view of the timeline only works if you completely ignore handhelds.
How so? Outside of the unstoppable juggernaut that is Pokemon, I'm pretty sure the top selling JRPGs in the last 5 years have all been on PS4.

If I'm wrong, please let me know as I'm actually curious about this.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How so? Outside of the unstoppable juggernaut that is Pokemon, I'm pretty sure the top selling JRPGs in the last 5 years have all been on PS4.

DQXI sold best on 3DS and the re-release on DQVIII on the 3DS(in 2015) sold about as well as KH3 and FFXV
Yokai Watch 2(+3) sold better than any PS4 JRPG and Yokai Watch 4 cratered on PS4

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Just out of curiosity what are the simultaneous JRPG releases you mentioned before?

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

that's coz they have all been ps4 exclusive and the ones that arent sells better on nintendo platform

also love how people just exclude certain games on nintendo platforms for no reason other than to suit their narrative, if we did that for sony platforms they wouldn't have many top selling games

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DQXI sold best on 3DS and the re-release on DQVIII on the 3DS(in 2015) sold about as well as KH3 and FFXV
Yokai Watch 2(+3) sold better than any PS4 JRPG and Yokai Watch 4 cratered on PS4
Off the top of my head I think of something like DQXI
I forgot DQXI came out of 3DS, probably because it never released in the west. Thanks for the heads up.

I still find the argument "SMT has no fanbase on the PS4" weird considering SMT is a turn based RPG series, which has an audience on the PS4. Hell, its sister series is on the PS4 and does a ton of sales. I'm sure the fanbase of "SMT fans that only like SMT and no other JRPG series including Persona" must be super small.

Just out of curiosity what are the simultaneous JRPG releases you mentioned before?
Tales of Vesperia DE and Atelier Ryza from memory.

EDIT: Looking it up, there's also:
  • Super Robot Wars T
  • Atelier Lulua (damn there's a lot of Atelier games)
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • Super Neptunia RPG

Last edited:

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And plus...you know....Pokemon.

Edit: Oh, didn't see that they preemptively handwaved that away. How convenient.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
switch is already beating ps4 in multiplatform sales ratio overall, with it being the only console selling significant amounts moving forward, the trend is only going to swing towards switch even more, ps5 wont change this since its adoption rate wont make up for ps4s dying rate

to think otherwise makes no logical sense whether u are a sony or nintendo fan

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
No, he's a troll. He increasingly argues in bad faith. Its becoming more and more obvious.
I think most ppl in Media Create threads agree on several core premises and so counterarguments don't so much change anyone's mind as they reaffirm what is collectively believed. In that sense, are we ever really arguing in good faith or moving back and forth within a relatively narrow band of truths?

Kerotan seems to be operating under multiple pro-Sony premises that run counter to popular opinion here, which makes them appear like bad faith arguments. Their belief is unshakeable!