• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have to cover the revenue the switch version would bring in but the profit. Then they have to factor in a certain percentage of the sales on the switch would shift to ps4/ps5/pc. It's not black and white.
Do you even know what you're talking about? Seems like you're just making stuff up to fit your argument. How would Sony even know how much it would sell? I mean if you just look at Persona, we're talking potentially a million copies sold for a port worldwide. That's a huge sum of money. Enough to fund an exclusive game with.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming that by this you mean that Falcom will demand PS4 releases before ports, correct?
That being said, there's no guarantee they're announcing Falcom localizations. There's still NIS games (a recently released one and a soon to-be-released one) that haven't had localizations announced yet.
Even if it's not now that time is coming

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking news from Japan:

www3.nhk.or.jp

Today’s Top Japan and World News | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Japanese public broadcaster provides the latest breaking news, live video, analysis and features from Asia and around the world.

Usually, that'd be great news for sales, some extra weeks of holidays. But, yeah... : |

Is this expected to help move consoles and videogames or the opposite? I guess the latter. Maybe digital sales see an increase?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, there was a mainline release between the two, and it even more properly fit in with the mainline series than 3. But as I posted above, there was a 15 year period between if... and Strange Journey.
Mainline but not numbered. I sort of put things like if..., Devil Summoner or Strange Journey in a different category.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this expected to help move consoles and videogames or the opposite? I guess the latter. Maybe digital sales see an increase?

It's best not to think about the economics of a pandemic too hard... People come off as pretty dark when they are witnessed trying to explain why the markets are moving in the wrong direction.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Oh, man.... I was just over at GDL and noticed that Atlus has sold like a million more units overall on the PS4 than the Switch ....not even counting P5S. Atlus should be paying Sony to be remain exclusive.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's best not to think about the economics of a pandemic too hard... People come off as pretty dark when they are witnessed trying to explain why the markets are moving in the wrong direction.

Well, this is a sales thread. I think we should be able to discuss those matters without disclaimers stating the evident about human lives first.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mainline but not numbered. I sort of put things like if..., Devil Summoner or Strange Journey in a different category.
I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile distinction to make, moreso at the the of the release of those games, and especially not sales wise. From FC through SFC and onto Saturn, the series didn't have any convention of "numbered titles" in the Final Fantasy sense, a number simply meant a sequel in the same setting. III introduced the idea of general numbering, but considering the decline in sales from the Saturn entries, there's no reason that the lack of a number in the title would separate it from previous mainline releases, especially it was more in line with them (in both naming and thematically) than III was (although there were reasons to expect lower sales for SJ).
Of course, after IV, you can definitely assign higher expectation to a number, as it's more standardized by now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne bombed and then SMTIV did extremely well. Now SMTV is sticking with the Nintendo exclusivity.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
His talking points are already in this thread.

« See it only sold 40% of the PS4 release, total waste of time and ressources »
If there is no deal between Sony and Atlus for Persona Nagoshi can't do many things, he doesn't have so big power over Atlus. It might take time but it will eventually happen, Switch can't be ignored eternally for no apparent reasons.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
If there is no deal between Sony and Atlus for Persona Nagoshi can't do many things, he doesn't have so big power over Atlus. It might take time but it will eventually happen, Switch can't be ignored eternally for no apparent reasons.
Seeing how against any logical thinking Nagoshi is gaining influence at Sega instead of losing it, you never know

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
More likely the PlayStation meeting tbh
Eff after the game awards Q1 was shaping to be really compelling
Playstation meeting seemed really likely
At least 1 or even 2 general directs seemed likely plus game specific one or 2
A state of play seemed likely
FF7 yes need it
And maybe Xbox would drop a few more details but I expected it more at e3

And what'd I get

MS is the only one who delivered so far. Sheesh

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eff after the game awards Q1 was shaping to be really compelling
Playstation meeting seemed really likely
At least 1 or even 2 general directs seemed likely plus game specific one or 2
A state of play seemed likely
FF7 yes need it
And maybe Xbox would drop a few more details but I expected it more at e3

And what'd I get

MS is the only one who delivered so far. Sheesh

Also all those games releasing in Q1, was going to be madness!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Atlus. Atlus Atlus Atlus. Atlus; Atlus, Atlus. Atlus? Atlus!
Atlus-Switch-support.png

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Do you know what I'm really curious about? If GamePass launches on the Switch/PS5, will it change the sales growth curve for Nintendo/Sony going forward? Additionally, if millions of ppl in Japan basically obtain easy access to a Microsoft console, will it lead to improved Xbox Scarlett sales in 2021.

In short, will GamePass make Microsoft relevant in Japan while also driving more ppl to Nintendo/Sony?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Do you even know what you're talking about? Seems like you're just making stuff up to fit your argument. How would Sony even know how much it would sell? I mean if you just look at Persona, we're talking potentially a million copies sold for a port worldwide. That's a huge sum of money. Enough to fund an exclusive game with.
I presume Sony and whoever they are doing a deal with would conduct market research and they'd agree on an estimate. I dunno what Sony pays or benefits they offer but many many publishers/devs have been happy to do business with them. Sony have been very successful in this regard this generation. Kudos to them.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would have expected it to help move Switch hardware seeing as it's kids having two additional weeks of vacation and parents not having planned for that at all, but there won't be consoles to be moved. If Switch Lites are plentiful though, yeah, I would personally expect a boost.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nocturne did decent in the west, but I'm not too sure. That's before my time following this stuff lol.

I'm pretty sure the last update we got for SMTIV was 600k WW.
I did a quick search, and it seems that they expected 350k in Japan, is that what you're referring to as being disappointing sales? That was before the game released in the west. I wonder why they expected less for IV in that case, but maybe they saw that 350k was too much to expect. But 600k WW seems like a good result :)

They overshipped the game in the US past the first soundtrack included print run

You can get brand new sealed copies for 15$ which is exceptionally rare with Atlus games
I see, but didnt it take some time to get to that price point? I've seen some other Atlus games get bigger price cuts as well. SMT IV was $20 on Amazon.com for a while (at least according to this price history (select Amazon from the check box to the right). I actually bought a brand new and sealed copy of Digital Devil Saga for PS2 some months ago for about €15 :) I'm guessing thats NOS (new old stock), since i bought it from a retailer. I was surprised to see it for sale.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It'd be no big loss if Sega stopped doing Mario and Sonic Olympic games tbh. Those games haven't been good in years.
It would help if they decided to change the roster that has been the same since 2009 (that's 5 of 6 games), like seriously why they have so many characters that can only be used in one event

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The girls fighting over an irrelevant Personal spin off that will barely sell 300k combined.

In my console war days we'd get banned because of Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter.

Do better.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They don't have to cover the revenue the switch version would bring in but the profit. Then they have to factor in a certain percentage of the sales on the switch would shift to ps4/ps5/pc. It's not black and white.

That happened a lot in the PSWii60 era when the fight was close. It's happening with FFVR again because Xbox isn't really competitive in Japan and Sony would see more value in hurting Microsoft's momentum among the JRPG buying public in the west.

You won't see Sony throwing any roadblocks like that up for the Switch because if the dev isn't pushing the hardware and aiming for international acclaim there isn't much they can offer them besides what I mentioned earlier. There is no way to know in the long run (especially on Nintendo platforms) what the LTD potential would be. Once PS5 drops and the PS4 will be out of step tech wise, the Switch's 14 million user base, stronger digital performance and worldwide appeal may be too much to resist for those looking to avoid the risks of a new platform launch. Early adopters would be rewarded with less competition though. Especially not having to compete with Nintendo evergreens.

Oct 25, 2017
I presume Sony and whoever they are doing a deal with would conduct market research and they'd agree on an estimate. I dunno what Sony pays or benefits they offer but many many publishers/devs have been happy to do business with them. Sony have been very successful in this regard this generation. Kudos to them.
This really just encapsulates everything you were in VGChartz.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The girls fighting over an irrelevant Personal spin off that will barely sell 300k combined.

In my console war days we'd get banned because of Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter.

Do better.

We can't do better, we're not getting much of DQ/MH's caliber that we can compare between the two systems. We wage war with what we're given. There's a reason why we want Capcom to put MH on Switch, and it's not because we want to play it.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
2020 already has 2 million-sellers guaranteed, 2 new console launches, 2 high profile remakes. It should be an exciting year.

But it's turning out to be a unpredictable one with covid-19 and the potential for another recession.

I still think things can bounce back, the 3DS recovered from the 2011 earthquake and tsunami after all. Once production returns promotions and announcements can get things back on track for Switch.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Market research? But you made that suggestion based on the first week sales of the first game Atlus released on Switch. Maybe... just maybe... could it be possible that you haven't really thought this things out completely?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2020 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800)
02./00. [NSW] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800)
03./02. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
04./00. [PS4] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2020.02.20} (¥3.980)
05./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
06./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
07./01. [NSW] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix # <ACT> (Sega) {2020.02.13} (¥5.990)
08./06. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
09./00. [NSW] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2020.02.20} (¥3.980)
10./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 2

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch Publisher Rankings: Famitsu Week 8, 2020
FB70sXs.png

*Digital sales not included
Nintendo has near 60% market share and near 80% combined with Pokemon company, crazy

all on the back of evergreen games, this is next level monopoly, whoever doesn't join in is only hurting themselves, nintendo does not need anyone in japan and they are supported quite well overseas even if indies are the backbone there

corona is also going to make next-gen system launches even longer to adopt, switch being cheaper is going to look even more attractive

the fact that u think ps4s success with third parties is due to sonys "hard work" rather than a lack of competition and japanese devs incompetence is quite laughable

Last edited:

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also i think it's time to retire media-create and put famitsu at the forefront, doesnt look like they are gonna change their ways any time soon

new decade, new era, we shouldnt need to scroll past wat is essentially redundant data on the first page everytime to get to the real data

essentially all the old threads is on the old site, there hasnt been many media-create threads on resetera so might aswell start a new now and name all threads Famitsu Sales going forward with famitsu sales at the forefront and mc sales at the end

the sooner this happens, the better, it'll be much more of a headache if we decide to change later on

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2020 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800)
02./00. [NSW] Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers # <RPG> (Atlus) {2020.02.20} (¥8.800)
03./02. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)
04./00. [PS4] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2020.02.20} (¥3.980)
05./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
06./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
07./01. [NSW] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix # <ACT> (Sega) {2020.02.13} (¥5.990)
08./06. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
09./00. [NSW] Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2020.02.20} (¥3.980)
10./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 2

Did Amazon "save" RingFit this week and last one?

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
also i think it's time to retire media-create and put famitsu at the forefront, doesnt look like they are gonna change their ways any time soon

new decade, new era, we shouldnt need to scroll past wat is essentially redundant data on the first page everytime to get to the real data

essentially all the old threads is on the old site, there hasnt been many media-create threads on resetera so might aswell start a new now and name all threads Famitsu Sales going forward with famitsu sales at the forefront and mc sales at the end

the sooner this happens, the better, it'll be much more of a headache if we decide to change later on
redundant data lol. this week alone top 10 positions aren't the same between the 2 trackers.

you want new era, new decade, i guess you also want their nonsense tracking week 53 lol