• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Of course, but most kids under 6 don't even know how to read...
I'd say that most 4-5 years old know how to read at least hiragana and katakana.
Some are already learning english at that age.
Besides, first time I played pokemon, it was in english which I knew almost nothing of, and I only got stuck one time because I didn't know how to use HM's and had to ask to and older friend. Nowadays the games are much easier than the red/blue games

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I was imagining the following situation:
-Hey! Look at that toy! It's so pretty and it looks like a lot of fun. And it's only $69-79!! My kids will loooove it!
- $299 console required, not included
-Eeehhhhhhh

Seriously, I'll be very impressed if the Labo becomes a system seller...

Usually the begging for a Switch happens months before the kid even knows about Labo. Do you think kids have no idea what Switch is? Its the next popular system and kids want it.

Nintendo Labo is targeting a large diverse audience which includes many people who don't follow gaming releases and news religiously. It should have very strong penetration in families with younger children and parents who are young enough to be pretty tech inclined, but they're also not going to be rushing out to preorder stuff. Word of mouth will also play a large part in how successful it can be in the long term. How good Nintendo's support for the Labo line post-release will also be interesting to see. Not every Labo product is going to be interesting to every person who gets into Labo.

A diverse set of both serious and casual packages will make Labo a long seller. More serious stuff like Piano lessons or other instruments will sell like crazy. I hope Nintendo sees the potential in this and not leave it at casual software only.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that most 4-5 years old know how to read at least hiragana and katakana.
Some are already learning english at that age.
According to this:
https://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/education.html
They start learning at 6 on the school.

So are you trying to argue that kids have never been a core component of Pokemon's demographic? Because that's objectively false.
That is not what i said. I believe the current fanbase is mostly the old fans.

Regardless, my definition of kid extends beyond age 6.
That is why I said I was thinking of little kids under 7, which I believe is one of the main targets.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
The numbers say otherwise. If the fanbase is mostly old fans you will be looking at FF numbers instead.
I assumed that because of these consistent numbers:
Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire 16.22 million
Pokémon Diamond & Pearl 17.67 million
Pokémon Black & White 15.64 million
Pokémon X & Y 16.26 million
Pokémon Sun & Moon 16.05 million
Also, the amount of preorders are some of the highest I've seen.
And as I said before, the only people I know who play the series are some old fans.
What you believe =/= reality
This is some Matrix reference or what lol

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is consistent means new fans are coming in as old fans leave rather than diminishing sales as is normal.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And as I said before, the only people I know who play the series are some old fans.

This is some Matrix reference or what lol

Personal anecdotes don't really mean anything at all.

The fanbase is steady. I.E. New people come in old people go out.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Consistent numbers in a long running series indicate a series that is able to constantly renew their demographic, rather than an entire aging demographic which continues to support it. Especially with disposable entertainment, as a current demographic ages, more will drop out of it. Very high numbers staying the same mean that they are constantly able to attract new younger audiences to replace the ones who are leaving.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see how they managed to keep the series at around 16 million, when the amount of users of , GBA, DS and 3DS was quite different.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO

DYIlhMcVwAAG7uj.jpg

DX6uhCvVoAMGnXv.jpg

I want this, so cute :)

DYE0OYKVAAI81Ul.jpg

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Pokemon Go brought in a bunch of lapsed fans and people who never played Pokemon originally?

Would seem more like the outlier for demographics of the series rather than a definite metric.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I thought Pokemon Go brought in a bunch of lapsed fans and people who never played Pokemon originally?

Would seem more like the outlier for demographics of the series rather than a definite metric.
That, and it looks like kids did not take the survey either, skewing the result.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I don't think Labo is the kind of "game" that people will rush to pre order lol.

It will sell ok at launch then if it's good, word of mouth will carry it to millions sold.

If it doesn't sell, at least Nintendo can recycle it.

We love an environment conscious corporation.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Pokemon Go is definitely played by older audiences, many of which aren't necessarily Pokemon fans or have any consoles to play other Pokemon on. My mom plays Pokemon Go pretty obsessively, and she has never played a Pokemon game in her life. Me and sis are constantly baffled, but she has her own community of friends who play it and seems pretty happy. It's weird!

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Putting the painfully, glaring problem with that chart aside... It still suggests that roughly 40% of its players weren't even born when the series first started.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

That has nothing to do with your original claim:

Weeell . Pokemon sales have been pretty consistent since 3 Gen, and that was in 2002. I only know a few people who play the series, and they are over 25 . lol. For little kids I was thinking something like 4 to 7 years old.

Pokémon Go, is a f2p title that has been downloaded 600+ million times on a platform that the majority of young kids wouldn't own.

Meanwhile, the following is what's sales related:

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Pokemon Go is definitely played by older audiences, many of which aren't necessarily Pokemon fans or have any consoles to play other Pokemon on. My mom plays Pokemon Go pretty obsessively, and she has never played a Pokemon game in her life. Me and sis are constantly baffled, but she has her own community of friends who play it and seems pretty happy. It's weird!
My favourite moment of the craze must have been seeing an 80/90 year old woman in McDonalds playing Pokémon Go on an iPad attached to one of those bag-on-wheels things old people have.

Pretending that those people are also the Pokémon audience on DS, Switch or watching the anime is ridiculous lol. It's kids under 12.

It's kinda crazy how many more female GO players than male. What makes the gap so huge?
Maybe just the mobile gaming demographic.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's kinda crazy how many more female GO players than male. What makes the gap so huge?
It's a social thing I feel. The game fits the social lifestyle of women more than men. Social expectations, etc. There are exceptions but women are more likely to feel open to hanging out with female friends and just chatting/chilling while playing a social app, than a guy hanging out with male friends. At younger demographics the gender likely matters less, but older demographics are more self-conscious about that stuff.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's a social thing I feel. The game fits the social lifestyle of women more than men. Social expectations, etc. There are exceptions but women are more likely to feel open to hanging out with female friends and just chatting/chilling while playing a social app, than a guy hanging out with male friends. At younger demographics the gender likely matters less, but older demographics are more self-conscious about that stuff.

Social lifestyle of women? Your explanation seems a bit exaggerated if not stereotypical.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Social lifestyle of women? Your explanation seems a bit exaggerated if not stereotypical.
Societal perceptions are stereotypical though. That's the point. It affects how people behave in social context. Do you think we live in a society where what men and women do are seen equally and that no one's preference is defined by how they see others act and what they think people expect of them?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok Thank youuuu lol
Now, serious question.
Do we have any data about the demographics of the Gba, DS and 3DS games??

You can google it yourself lol. If you can find that Go numbers, u should be able to find the Pokemon demographic numbers which Iwata talked about in the past.^_^

I can't remember where i read the article but it is mention that female is more accepting toward newer trends especially social trend and they are often the one who stays on that platform longer than the males.

Instagram is right now easily filled by many female social demographics.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Vita version is 6,335 yen on Amazon right now and I guess the Switch version does include DLC.
It'll be interesting to see how late port that already had a handheld offering will perform, since the big draw of these late ports are mostly portability.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Planet Alpha by Planet Alpha ApS (Team 17) for PC (Q3 2018), PS 4, Xbox One, Switch, using Unreal Engine.

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Two more Switch games:

- Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai -Library Party- (Visual Novel), July 26th, 6 800 Yen
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/8599

- Lode Runner: Legacy (platform/puzzle), Spring, 1 112 Yen. Already available on Steam, btw.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201803/13153367.html

I would assume Switch is likely. Question is do they go PS4 as well (I'm not even going to consider a mobile release until I see it released)

After seeing how good The Snack World looks on Switch, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on 3DS + Switch, with 3DS as the 'base' platform.

Vita version is 6,335 yen on Amazon right now and I guess the Switch version does include DLC.
It'll be interesting to see how late port that already had a handheld offering will perform, since the big draw of these late ports are mostly portability.

It will mostly be bought by people who want the game on Switch over other platforms, the real question is just how big that group is because they'll account for the vast majority of sales. I don't think there'll be many people discovering the game now that it's on Switch, at least in Japan. In the west, on the other hand, game should do well if games like Disgaea 5 and co. are anything to go by.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Comgnet Pre-order Comparisons For Resetera: World

As of March 13th, 2018

[NSW] Kirby: Star Allies - 118pt

[3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 188pt
[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 60pt

[PS4] Super Robot Wars X - 55pt + 32pt = 87pt
[PSV] Super Robot Wars X - 45pt + 20pt = 65pt

[PS4] Super Robot Wars V - 62pt + 32pt = 94pt
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V - 40pt + 30pt = 70pt

[PS4] Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 18pt + 13pt = 31pt

[PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered - <= 17pt

[NSW] Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm for Nintendo Switch - 17pt

[PSV] Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - <= 17pt
[PS4] Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm HD Edition - 15pt

[NSW] Attack on Titan 2 - 20pt

[PSV] Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom - 24pt*

[NSW] PriPara: All Idol Perfect Stage - <= 11pt

[3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! - 25pt
[3DS] PriPara Mezameyo! Megami no Dress Design - 18pt
[3DS] Idol Time PriPara: Yume All-Star Live! - <= 15pt

[NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - <= 11pt

[WIU] Hyrule Warriors - 18pt + 15pt = 33pt
[3DS] Hyrule Warriors Legends - 25pt

Note: in the past few years, the ratio between preorder points and thousands of units sold have costantly decreased, and the past few months saw several examples of a much lower ratio than usual for several games (i.e. more actual thousands sold per preorder point), considering their platforms and genres (The Last Guardian, Poochy and Yoshi's Wolly World, Nioh, Final Fantasy XV as the first major examples).

* the original Attack on Titan from KT displayed a very high actual sales / final COMG preorder pts ratio: the Vita version ended with 30pts (regular version), the PS4 one with 24pts (regular version) at best, buth both SKUs debuted at over 60,000 copies in their first week. This might've happened due to advertising impacting on-the-spot purchases; there is no certainty we're going to see a similar phenomenon with AoT2, which means we could see a lower purchases / preorders ratio.

Last week's edition

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5238068/

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the aging audience of Pokémon has been brought up by GF at least twice and one of their aims has been to bring back younger gamers. Which I think they're terrible at but alas...

edit:

2014: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/01/pokemons-audience-growing-older/

2017: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/290666/Nintendo_says_Pokemon_players_are_now_older_than_ever.php
With the way they design their games, you'd think they're trying to dump their older audience than accommodate them as well

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, the aging audience of Pokémon has been brought up by GF at least twice and one of their aims has been to bring back younger gamers. Which I think they're terrible at but alas...

edit:

2014: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/01/pokemons-audience-growing-older/

2017: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/290666/Nintendo_says_Pokemon_players_are_now_older_than_ever.php

From that Siliconera chart, it still shows the majority of Pokemon audience is still young audience though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From that Siliconera chart, it still shows the majority of Pokemon audience is still young audience though.

Very true but the Gamasutra article from 2017 shows that they haven't been able to revert a trend. I don't think the franchise is in dire straits or anything, not with the 16m it pulls on every mainline release, but GameFreak, TPC and Nintendo are thinking very long term here. Let's not forget that Pokémon is nearing its 20th anniversary in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.