• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Some of the exciting opportunities we have require the skills of a small professional development team. Are you a small dev team looking to collaborate on something larger or looking for a small project to help fund your next gig? This isn't just normal outsourcing, it is much more about finding teams that want to collaborate with us on content for Dreams. We are a little light on requirements as this is an exploratory call out, but needless to say experience with creating in Dreams is required!

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably will be a dream come true to a lot of people

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this team allowed all this leeway? It must be good working for Sony.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's quite a measure. Something natural to imagine, that's surprising to see put into action.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can hire Foam Sword to work on Tearaway 2 after K&B! Lol

In seriousness though, this could be an awesome testbed for new mascot platformers.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very smart and will be great for the community.

Also for those wondering contrary to what arm chair analyst believe Lbp and its dlc sold millions. Add to tht the fact tht Sony sees media molecule as its innovative dev branch creating games you can't find anywhere else and that others mimic and you have a situation where they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread a couple of months ago talking about monetization in Dreams as a way to bring better content to the platform. That thread was not well received.
This is what I had to say about something like this:
"Bringing these two aspects together, what if Dreams served this purpose for smaller dev teams? An "engine" were they could build small projects, gain experience, attract a fanbase and...make some profit? As small as it could be. By giving them something in return for their work, Mm could attract smaller dev teams and enrich Dream's world with their creations. For the team it could be a less riskier way to try some concepts and improve their skills."

So yeah, this is an amazing idea and I'm glad Mm went there. I'd still be open to the idea of these games costing something to the player to cover the costs for these smaller dev teams. But if Mm cover those costs themselves than that's even better.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Sounds great! The community has already built amazing things, just imagine a team getting paid to build!

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, this fucking RULES. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to see in dreams. Turn this shit into a legit game engine and make it free on PS5

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This maybe tamps down some of the conversation around the nature of Dreams? I mean many (understandably) view Dreams as a tool that allows you to build games that you then can't sell on your own which is something I've always felt conflicted about. Personally I don't have an issue with it as its all been pretty clearly communicated ahead of time what Dreams is but I could see why some would take issue with Dreams. This is great stuff either way.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not suprised by this at all, seems like a natural evolution of what's there, not just the tools but the amount of Community/Collabrative creating that they push.

Deleted member 36037

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2017
That's really awesome! Some people are making some incredible things already and I'm so happy that some will be able to turn their passion into their profession.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
That is awesome. Considering what we've seen already, it's exciting to think about what will come of this.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how to feel about this. Hiring indies to make games in your engine while theres still no official future for all the hardwork non official developers is eh.

Honestly, this makes me more interested in Unity and 3D modelling there, as I can atleast be guaranteed the option to sell my finished work, and have it be more immediately available.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow, I mean this is great for a multitude of reasons, and one being that it allows for some of the great ideas and starter projects that we've already seen to be taken to full completion. Even if you don't have an established team, you can network with fellow Dreams creators to find mutual admiration, and come together for the greater good.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
This!

I would even go so far and want them to release a pc version. Let people create.

Oh, honestly. I remember there was talk of integration with Unity or something... maybe not integration or Unity, but like, developers would be able to import assets from pc or export to pc to work on certain stuff then back in. Forget the details and I don't know if they dropped those plans are just holding them back for now, but I think if Media Molecule and Sony found a way to work out the licensing so it was always technically published by Sony or something, they could empower creatives the world over to become real indie developers within Dreams, contributing assets and mechanics, etc. into the community and making the entire "engine" more capable.

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They really should make Dreams built into PS5, and have it be a Roblox model for them. They'd make bank.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I am just waiting for the "Someone Made Dreams in Dreams"

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, honestly. I remember there was talk of integration with Unity or something... maybe not integration or Unity, but like, developers would be able to import assets from pc or export to pc to work on certain stuff then back in. Forget the details and I don't know if they dropped those plans are just holding them back for now, but I think if Media Molecule and Sony found a way to work out the licensing so it was always technically published by Sony or something, they could empower creatives the world over to become real indie developers within Dreams, contributing assets and mechanics, etc. into the community and making the entire "engine" more capable.

I don't think you can port games from Dreams to any other platform. They'd have to make a Dreams client on PC itself. Dreams handles modelling and "programming" very differently from traditional engines.

I can't wait to see what this initiative brings. There are plenty of people that already have made multiple polished game experiences that are quite as good as what MM themselves have put out.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really trust them to keep those games alive after they, one day, shut down the servers for Dreams

but good for the dev teams i guess

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
But why? Why not Sony itself just hire small developers to make small games. And then charge us to play them? How is this making any money? None of this makes sense.

It depends (a lot). The amount of money they can make selling a copy of Dreams because of a game developed by an indie team can be much larger than the amount of money they may pay for development itself.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But why? Why not Sony itself just hire small developers to make small games. And then charge us to play them? How is this making any money? None of this makes sense.

That would be the best way yes. I tried to suggest it a couple of months ago and people on Era were not at all happy. This is a middle ground and maybe can serve as a door for more experimentation in the future with using dreams as a game engine/platform

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017

I think what you're referring to was when they mentioned 3d printing and exporting what you make in Dreams into a .obj file.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This maybe tamps down some of the conversation around the nature of Dreams? I mean many (understandably) view Dreams as a tool that allows you to build games that you then can't sell on your own which is something I've always felt conflicted about. Personally I don't have an issue with it as its all been pretty clearly communicated ahead of time what Dreams is but I could see why some would take issue with Dreams. This is great stuff either way.

Do you take issue with the mod community that does exactly the same?

Mar 11, 2019
People suggesting that Dreams content creators could basically lock games behind a paywall will be a big no no to me, since that is everything what dreams to me does not stand for, which is sharing your content with others who can enjoy them or improve or mix them into new levels. If there is something like optional pay out of free will, to support xxx creator then that would be much more appealing.

How is this team allowed all this leeway? It must be good working for Sony.
Because they have made unique games with lots of creativity in the past, of which dreams is like the product of all their past experience with lots of potential, that can basically do all of the previous games and more, while also appealing to a different demographic of potential costumers both young and old.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a lot of effort for one game that you pay 60€ once for. Any official plans to monetize this game? Like selling games/content inside the "Engine"?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lot of effort for one game that you pay 60€ once for. Any official plans to monetize this game? Like selling games/content inside the "Engine"?

Considering the sales and critical acclaim of MM's prior games I don't think this is an issue for Sony. This isn't counting the fact that MM is a fraction of the size of most AAA developer teams. It's not like there are 500 developers working on Dreams.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
wb1a5ag.jpg

Thats...fucking nuts