• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I felt it was worth highlighting in its own thread that today's remake/remaster of MediEvil includes a pretty cool unlockable bonus for fans:

Beating the game with all the new "Lost Souls" put to rest unlocks the complete original PSone version on the main menu, under "Old Game".

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt it was worth highlighting in its own thread that today's remake/remaster of MediEvil includes a pretty cool unlockable bonus for fans:

Beating the game with all the new "Lost Souls" put to rest unlocks the complete original PSone version on the main menu, under "Old Game".
It is so awesome! Every remake should do this. Shadow of the Beast did the same.
Was pissed that another remake didn't to the same last month.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool bonus, but the only odd part is making you 100% complete the game to get it.

Would you really want to jump back in and replay the same game again as a reward for 100%-ing the remake?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Damn bruh i thought this title was vaporware, or came out long ago
Legit forgot about it

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really cool! Has any other recent game done something like this? Last time I remember this kind of thing happening was with the Xbox Ninja Gaiden where you'd pick up those golden beetles and get access to the original NES Ninja Gaidens.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
This means that it's the first 1st-party PS1 game officially re-released on the PS4. Over 5 years after Sony mentioned they were working on it.
I would like to give you all the chance to celebrate this iconoclastic title by bringing to all fans, worldwide, the chance to experience the original Vib Ribbon. As a result of the "outpouring of love" at the E3 name drops, our engineers have developed a way to bring Vibri to life on PS3 and PS Vita (we're still working on a way to make it available on PS4). We look to have both of them up on PlayStation Store tomorrow at a price attractive to both Vibri virgins and the rare few amongst you who found a way to experience the Singing Spline back in the day.

Do note that the developers of the remaster, Other Ocean Interactive. Just so happens to own the emulation team known as Digital Eclipse. So it's completely possible that they were the ones that actually developed the emulator.

But still, the fact they finally have an official PS1 emulator running on PS4 means they should hopefully start working on bringing other titles to it.

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a secret button combination you can enter to unlock this early? The original game had some.
If you try and enter one of those old PAL cheat codes
you unlock a trophy

And I was the one who mentioned this in the review thread but am glad to see it was cool enough to warrant its own thread!

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
This means that it's the first PS1 game officially re-released on the PS4. Over 5 years after Sony mentioned they were working on it.

Do note that the developers of the remaster, Other Ocean Interactive. Just so happens to own the emulation team known as Digital Eclipse. So it's completely possible that they were the ones that actually developed the emulator.

But still, the fact they finally have an official PS1 emulator running on PS4 means they should hopefully start working on bringing other titles to it.
Megaman 8 and Megaman X6 are in the Megaman collections on PS4

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Holy shit, that's awesome.

This is the ONE thing I would've love to see in the Crash and Spyro remakes. Even if it was for after earning 100% completion, just for preservation's sake.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
This means that it's the first PS1 game officially re-released on the PS4. Over 5 years after Sony mentioned they were working on it.

No, Medievil isn't the first PS1 game on PS4. Final Fantasy VII is the first PS1 game re-released on PS4. The original Final Fantasy VII is published by Sony. It came out in 2015.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Megaman 8 and Megaman X6 are in the Megaman collections on PS4

That's a different case. Being a third-party title released on multiple platforms (I'm also not 100% sure if CAPCOM is using a PS1 emulator on those. They might be proper ports.)

This is a official first-party title. Including an actual PS1 emulator. After years of Sony neglecting that side of things. (and not really doing all that much with the PS2 and PSP, either.)

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty awesome. Not sure I'd be arsed playing it as I completed it on PS3 IIRC, and also completed the PSP version, so I think I'll be fine finishing the PS4 version for now :p

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So that's PS1, PS2, and PSP games emulated on PS4's x86 architecture. Bodes well for their compatibility on PS5. Being able to play PS1, PS2, PS4, PS5, and PSP games all in one system is an enticing value proposition. Let's see if they can figure out PS3 and PS Vita too.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would've been great if it also included MediEvil 2, seeing as how that game never got released on PSN. Even still, this is a really cool extra.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious to see if this is in fact the old game emulated. Or if it's a rebuilt version of the old game in the new engine. Essentially a low poly mode asset swap? I mean, I imagine they used the old games low poly level design and assets to build their higher res assets around to help create a faithful remake?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why is this labaled as spoiler. this is not doesn't spoil anythign tbh, on the contrary, knowing this could be an incentive to collect them all beacuse I know many would.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'm curious to see if this is in fact the old game emulated. Or if it's a rebuilt version of the old game in the new engine. Essentially a low poly mode asset swap? I mean, I imagine they used the old games low poly level design and assets to build their higher res assets around to help create a faithful remake?

Dark1x from Digital Foundry could look for that, right? 😉

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
That's a different case. Being a third-party title released on multiple platforms (I'm also not 100% sure if CAPCOM is using a PS1 emulator on those. They might be proper ports.)

This is a official first-party title. Including an actual PS1 emulator. After years of Sony neglecting that side of things. (and not really doing all that much with the PS2 and PSP, either.)
How do you know this is emulated and not just ported in its original version?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So confirmed that Sony has PS1, PS2 and PSP emulators all functional on PS4 but they won't let you play your old disc or digital titles on it. Hope they do better with PS5.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Only the NES and SNES games are emulated in the MM and MMX Collections. The PS1, PS2 and WiiWare games are all full native ports.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this labaled as spoiler. this is not doesn't spoil anythign tbh, on the contrary, knowing this could be an incentive to collect them all beacuse I know many would.

Finding this out could also be an incentive not to bother, and others would rather find out on their own volition instead of a headline/clickbait/whatever. That's basically the same "why" as to plot spoilers being a problem. It also harms no one to mark it as a warning...so why complain?

There was a time where finding out what collectibles unlocked was difficult and the main reason they got collected for most people. I imagine some still want that feeling.

Oct 27, 2017
It was really cool to find out about this. I wish other games like REmake 2 and Crash/Spyro did this. Especially REmake as the original game is very different.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Finding this out could also be an incentive not to bother, and others would rather find out on their own volition instead of a headline/clickbait/whatever. That's basically the same "why" as to plot spoilers being a problem. It also harms no one to mark it as a warning...so why complain?

There was a time where finding out what collectibles unlocked was difficult and the main reason they got collected for most people. I imagine some still want that feeling.

Well it depends on the vision opf the director and how he sees such secrets, I myself thought Kojia would hide Conan O'Brian existence in the game yet he revealed him and his reward which is a good marketing point. Revealing this could have been a good selling point for this game.