• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I don't usually get hyped for remasters but I absolutely adore this game so I'm pretty damn excited to get a modern version. Hopefully it does well enough to justify a proper sequel (because MediEvil 2 was kinda balls).

Never played the sequel, but from what I know it reviewed better than the first game and seems to generally be held in high regard, so your comment surprises me.

Anyway, best case scenario is that this is a full-scale remake of the PS1 original, with all the necessary changes made to help it meet a current-gen standard.

Worst case scenario is that it's a standard remaster of the PSP game and nothing more.

Please please don't be the latter.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Never played the sequel, but from what I know it reviewed better than the first game and seems to generally be held in high regard, so your comment surprises me.

Anyway, best case scenario is that this is a full-scale remake of the PS1 original, with all the necessary changes made to help it meet a current-gen standard.

Worst case scenario is that it's a standard remaster of the PSP game and nothing more.

Please please don't be the latter.

According to GameRankings it averaged a slightly lower overall score, but I found it decidedly less fun than the original, mostly because it threw out almost everything that made the first game memorable, from the setting to the general premise, and every single character except Daniel. The levels were confusing and messy, and the new antagonist was just plain annoying.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited but I kinda want them to make a new one instead of a remaster. I don't know if the gameplay stands the test of time.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked the game when I was a kid but I have a feeling if I would replay it now it would be a jankfest and the nostalgia would blow off really fast lol.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm so excited but I kinda want them to make a new one instead of a remaster. I don't know if the gameplay stands the test of time.

The camera and the 'double tap dpad to sprint' mechanic are janky. But aside from those 2 blemishes, it remains a perfectly playable action/platformer. They could probably also adjust the jumping so as not to annoy new players who will likely fall into any one of the game's pits lol

I hope they don't change Pools of the Ancient Dead tho. That level is SUPPOSED to kill you if you're not careful. The whole schtick is that you go slow and take combat risks in that level.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game when I was a kid but I have a feeling if I would replay it now it would be a jankfest and the nostalgia would blow off really fast lol.

I'm replaying it on Vita now and honestly it still holds up. It's really fun to run around the levels and figure out how everything fits together.

Also now that I'm replaying Resurrection side-by-side with the original for the first time, I think I must concede that it is indeed inferior. For everything it does right (adding lock-on, making the Hall of Heroes characters more interesting, giving Dan some hilarious expressions in cutscenes) it does something wrong (having a comparatively dingy color palette, changing memorable level designs just for the sake of it, putting jokes of varying quality EVERYWHERE even when they clearly shatter the pace). I still like it, but it's kind of a Nuts & Bolts situation - you just gotta accept that it's trying to do its own thing and enjoy it on its own terms.

(I still think the combat is equally weightless and janky in both games. I mean the MediEvil health system just seems intentionally designed to let you tank hits they know you'll take.)

Nov 3, 2017
Yes! For those asking who this is for? This is for me! This will finally make me buy a PlayStation since the PS1. Bring on Spyro next.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
We pitched SIEE a new PS4 Medievil title in Jan 2016, they said no, there was no value in the IP... bugger

When you say "we," what studio are you referring to?

Also, you can bet your buns that this remaster is only happening because of the surprise success of the N'Sane Collection. Sony will be riding that nostalgia bandwagon hard now (which is a good thing since I love a lot of the old-school IPs from back in the day).

elgato

Oct 25, 2017
When you say "we," what studio are you referring to?

Also, you can bet your buns that this remaster is only happening because of the surprise success of the N'Sane Collection. Sony will be riding that nostalgia bandwagon hard now (which is a good thing since I love a lot of the old-school IPs from back in the day).

GoldenHelmet is Just Add Water, the team behind the recent Oddworld projects.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think MediEvil was not a good game? it's been a while since I played it though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think MediEvil was not a good game? it's been a while since I played it though.

It was good for the time, but I really don't think it holds up well anymore. It's probably one of the roughest of Sony's first party games from the PS1. That's why I'm excited for a remake.

I remember MediEvil 2 being better, but I've not played that since it came out, so I can't really comment on how well that holds up these days.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
We pitched SIEE a new PS4 Medievil title in Jan 2016, they said no, there was no value in the IP... bugger

Did you live up to the legend of Jason Wilson, performing Dan's incomprehensible grunts with a bucket over your head? (Did the new devs, for that matter?)

Also, if undead PS1 characters are on the table, please consider pitching a Kain game! Now there's a pipe dream.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping graphically it looks like the UE4 fan demo from awhile back. A "remaster" like Crash and SotC with new graphics but tweaked gameplay.

Would be the worst thing if they just ported the PSP game.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

pitch it again

PITCH IT AGAAAAAAIN!!!

But seriously, it so annoying when publishers say dumb stuff like this. No value in new entries for unique and beloved IP like MediEvil, PaRappa, and Ape Escape but apparently Knack fucking 2 needed to be greenlit? Yeah OK. (And I say this as a hardcore Knack fan.) I guess Crash made them finally get off their asses to see if they can get in on the nostalgia bux.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It was good for the time, but I really don't think it holds up well anymore. It's probably one of the roughest of Sony's first party games from the PS1. That's why I'm excited for a remake.

I remember MediEvil 2 being better, but I've not played that since it came out, so I can't really comment on how well that holds up these days.
Yup, medievil 2 was better though.

Great series.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imo the only one that wasn't that great was the PSP remaster, mostly because it wasn't faithful to the originals. I actually think 1 and 2 aged OK, but definitely need an update with the times (graphics and controls). 1 was great but 2 was better. I can't wait to see all the environments in HD.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Perhaps I am minority, but I always thought that MediEvil 2 was the better game.

That vampire house level is a masterclass of level and gameplay design.

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly, throw me in the camp of Medieval 2 is better, I was hoping they would remaster both games.

I was absolutely gutted they didn't release the second one on PSN.

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
For sure the game will have the same treatment of Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy if so I'm all for it.
Please don't make the PSP version, just make Medievil 1998 version and I can die happy.
2018 will mark 20th anniversary and probably in the year 2020 they will remaster Medievil 2? I keep my finger crossed, I have high hopes that Sony will bring also a new installment with Medievil 3.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imo the only one that wasn't that great was the PSP remaster, mostly because it wasn't faithful to the originals. I actually think 1 and 2 aged OK, but definitely need an update with the times (graphics and controls). 1 was great but 2 was better. I can't wait to see all the environments in HD.

Edit: Alexcampy- nah, you're the majority.

Edit 2: whoops meant to edit 1st comment lol. Doh!

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
For sure the game will have the same treatment of Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy if so I'm all for it.
Please don't make the PSP version, just make Medievil 1998 version and I can die happy.
2018 will mark 20th anniversary and probably in the year 2020 they will remaster Medievil 2? I keep my finger crossed, I have high hopes that Sony will bring also a new installment with Medievil 3.

I agree, but we don't actually know for sure that this won't include ME2 as well. This is especially possible if they are indeed following in the footsteps of the N Sane Trilogy.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I agree, but we don't actually know for sure that this won't include ME2 as well. This is especially possible if they are indeed following in the footsteps of the N Sane Trilogy.
It seems like it's only the original game as far as I can infer:
a proper, PS4-grade resurrection of the original MediEvil just in time for the game's 20th anniversary.

Also, love your avatar.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like it's only the original game as far as I can infer:

Also, love your avatar.
Don't take this hope away from me! And thanks!

I've very glad they specify "original" and not "Resurrection", I just hope that wording was deliberate! Also, please go with a claymation/Laika art style, it'd be perfect!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing this from sampler disk 8, but I heard the game was kiddyfied upon final release. The demo had a very sinister tone.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Don't take this hope away from me! And thanks!

I've very glad they specify "original" and not "Resurrection", I just hope that wording was deliberate! Also, please go with a claymation/Laika art style, it'd be perfect!
Agreed, I haven't played either but from what I hear the PSP one isn't the best. I might play a bit of the original so I'm more well-acclimated when the remake is out.

Claymation-like would be great. I feel there's a lot of art styles that the game can adapt that can look good, one of them being like the fan-made thing a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd80uokktUY

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing this from sampler disk 8, but I heard the game was kiddyfied upon final release. The demo had a very sinister tone.

It was tonally pretty much always this way, they'd planned the humour from the beginning. The only real difference in the early demos is that they were presented as somewhat more arcadey with point bonuses etc. It's unofficial subtitle is "The Laughing Dead" after all!

Agreed, I haven't played either but from what I hear the PSP one isn't the best. I might play a bit of the original so I'm more well-acclimated when the remake is out.

Claymation-like would be great. I feel there's a lot of art styles that the game can adapt that can look good, one of them being like the fan-made thing a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd80uokktUY

Sure, the Unreal fan trailer is okay, but I'd prefer less realistic personally; it just fits the tone of the game better in my eye(s).

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, the Unreal fan trailer is okay, but I'd prefer less realistic personally; it just fits the tone of the game better in my eye(s).
HA I see what you did there,

You're (obviously) the bigger fan of the franchise so I hope it lives up to your (and every other fan's) expectations.

Grandpa_Pixel

Nov 10, 2017
United Kingdom
I think any style will be okay as long as they can pull off the expressions. Even back in the PS1 era the expressions Sir Daniel and the rest of the characters could pull off really elevated the art style above the rest. If you look at Wind Waker, a lot of people think that game's Link is great because of the sheer amount of expressions his face can portray.

If we got a style that did that flawlessly, the rest could look like anything it wanted to.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's very primitive and kind of unbalanced by modern standards, but it got good reviews back in the day and has retained a strong fandom throughout the years.

Perhaps I am minority, but I always thought that MediEvil 2 was the better game.

That vampire house level is a masterclass of level and gameplay design.

That level was pretty good, but to me the Whitechapel level (the one where you dress Dan up in a beard and top hat) was the highlight of the game. Felt like it made the most use out of the setting.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Found the demo disc this came on and tried it out for the first time since, I guess the '90s, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The controls/combat and camera aren't great for today's standards, but I really like the overall style and found myself killing enough monsters so I could get the chalice and wanted to continue playing after the demo ended.

I think I'll buy the full game off PSN now.