• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Just starting the article now, I'm shocked the news of new Star Wars movies was kept under wraps until the sale.
Shitcanned. No one knows why, although I'd hazard a guess that it involves a mixture of sensitivity over story details as well a desire to uphold the reputations of present-day LFL/Bad Robot. I don't think the film was a nightmare by any stretch, but I do think there was some tension between the two companies, and between JJ and the rest of LFL.

He was posting some awesome blog entries a number of months back about behind the scenes stuff at Lucasfilm, both pro and con, until the blog entries disappeared and he stopped in the middle of them. I believe an informal C&D was given to him, such a shame.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the Porgs were Rian Johnson's idea, the result of all the puffins around the island used for Luke's hideaway.

I like Porgs.

Yeah, they couldn't get the puffins to get out of the shots so Rian figured "let's CGI over them" and then from there they gained a life of their own.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There would've been a load of controversy if they'd gone through with Talon, being the ultimate "evil female vixen who uses her sensuality to corrupt men".

But George is a horndog.
With Talon, Darth Icky/Insanius, and the Blu-ray stuff, it's pretty evident George really wanted to fuck with people half the time when it came to new Star Wars stuff in the decade before the Disney handover. He still cared about TCW, of course.
Yep. Really bummed still that Jakku just ended up being another Tatooine. I wanna see different, crazy climates brought to life in Star Wars movies on the big screen.
It's one of my fave concepts in the book, but I think the dilemma with pursuing that environment is that it would have likely made TFA one of the nth sci-fi movies to have been shot in Iceland in the last few years. A locale I am already getting sick of seeing onscreen.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
On this note, people should really check out the concept art books for both movies if they wanna see more of the early days of planning the sequel trilogy. Lots of interesting imagery
C9yz_y7XgAE5K4P.jpg

Damn George's planets can get it. Other than Crait nothing has been memorable in the sequels.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh Jakku was pretty cool with the addition of the spaceship mountains caused by all the debris from the final battle

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the hardcore anti-TLJ people are going to take from this is that Luke would have been in this new trilogy more.

Nov 1, 2017
Talon, Georgey body really had a thing for her. He even wanted to pair her up with Darth Maul until he was told she came a hundred years or so later in the time line. Her showing up here means he clearly never gave up fully on bringing a version of the character in some form. Visually she definitely did stick out well.

64982989-2e65-43e7-9ydrap.jpeg

We won't forget you, Jaina. Even if everyone at Lucasfilm did.

Funny you should mention that.

419xGlXl1VL._SY300_.jpg

A brand new toy of hers was just released, figured she was persona non grata as was all the other EU.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
Whats the point of mentioning this? Isn't TLJ about leaving the past? Leave Lucas out of this, at least in regards to the new movie trilogy. If his ideas were used, they are now Disney's ideas, not his anymore. It only goes to show how creatively bankrupt the new trilogy is if it depends on literal Sparknotes from George Lucas's concepts on the next trilogy.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barren allowed the graveyard to really pop out.

It still would've popped out if the sand was like...red or the planet was made of obsidian or something.

I just find JJs insistence of making it so similar to Tatooine rather bizarre and boring. Same with all the aliens in TFA who are off-brand versions of OT aliens like the Not-Ithorians. He was way too reliant on nostalgia and hopefully he corrects that for IX.

Whats the point of mentioning this? Isn't TLJ about leaving the past? Leave Lucas out of this, at least in regards to the new movie trilogy. If his ideas were used, they are now Disney's ideas, not his anymore. It only goes to show how creatively bankrupt the new trilogy is if it depends on literal Sparknotes from George Lucas's concepts on the next trilogy.

Part of what Disney was buying was George's ideas. Why would they not want to use them if they liked them?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

No it doesn't... It doesn't go to show that at all...

And TLJ's theme was learn from the past not forget it.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of my fave concepts in the book, but I think the dilemma with pursuing that environment is that it would have likely made TFA one of the nth sci-fi movies to have been shot in Iceland in the last few years. A locale I am already getting sick of seeing onscreen.

I mean, I'm in the minority here im sure, but I would've been ok with them shooting in Iceland or something and then going nuts with CGI to spice the location up and make it way more interesting.

I also have very limited knowledge of CGI implementation though so yeah.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like, there are so many interesting ideas.

I wish I could see George's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see JJ's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see Rian's version of 7, 8 and 9.

We got a mish mash of ideas which still leads to a great experience but I have a lot of curiosity about what it could be like.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
No offense to any of you guys.

But I would have loved to see Darth Talon make an appearance in the ST. I wonder why George Lucas likes her so much though.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they couldn't get the puffins to get out of the shots so Rian figured "let's CGI over them" and then from there they gained a life of their own.

I doubt this story. I know it's the official explanation but most of the time when we see a porg they arnt just waddling about like animals that just happened to be in the shot.

They are strategically placed around a scene to add life or the focus of a camera shot.

I will give you an example. In one scene a couple of porgs are in a nest on a wall, puffins create a little burrow in the ground. So I doubt they just CGI'd some puffins.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
And he would have done it with all the subtlety of a subway train crashing through a living room.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Who made the Porgs and deserves to sleep inside a tauntaun for the week?

Porgs were actually a necessity because there were so many puffins on the island. Since they're government protected, the film crew couldn't shoo them out of shots or anything to interfere with their natural behaviors so they created porgs to account for all the birds in the background.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this sounds pretty good tbh. I am not big on the design of Darth Talon, but other than that it feels like a better Episode 7 than what we got. Most importantly the central thing isn't empire vs rebels again. I like that they salvaged some of this for TLJ, but having to deal with that really screwed this trilogy in a way. Original Jakku was cooler/more interesting than a desert again too.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Many of the things? I see maybe two or three things that are same-ish. The rest is reaching a lot. The idea of a female protagonist may have originally come from Lucas, but the Kira as described has very little to do with Rey for instance.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the hardcore anti-TLJ people are going to take from this is that Luke would have been in this new trilogy more.

Well what I take away from it is that TFA and TLJ were largely built off of his ideas and treatment for VII. The devil is always in the details. This doesn't validate the ST and it doesn't demonize it.

It's like, there are so many interesting ideas.

I wish I could see George's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see JJ's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see Rian's version of 7, 8 and 9.

We got a mish mash of ideas which still leads to a great experience but I have a lot of curiosity about what it could be like.

THIS

is my take away

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Many of the things? I see maybe two or three things that are same-ish. The rest is reaching a lot. The idea of a female protagonist may have originally come from Lucas, but the Kira as described has very little to do with Rey for instance.

Female protagonist

The look

Homeworld is Jakku

Making her a scavenger

Training with Luke

Getting Luke out of his depression

And potentially the idea of not being a Skywalker

The personality isn't the same though. Hot-headed gearhead doesn't sound like Rey.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well what I take away from it is that TFA and TLJ were largely built off of his ideas and treatment for VII. The devil is always in the details. This doesn't validate the ST and it doesn't demonize it.

That's exactly it.

It is interesting to think about what Luke being introduced more significantly a movie earlier would have given them opportunities to do, it really might have helped avert some of the issues fans had with Luke in TLJ.

All of this is why I'm excited for the new trilogy. One clear vision right from the start. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for JJ and Rian to work on this stuff with so little time.

It's crazy to think about, JJ gets a lot of crap for TFA, but given the timeframe it came together in, it turned out really good.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
All of this is why I'm excited for the new trilogy. One clear vision right from the start. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for JJ and Rian to work on this stuff with so little time.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
And to wonderful success

Certainly not objectively or as a consensus

Porgs were actually a necessity because there were so many puffins on the island. Since they're government protected, the film crew couldn't shoo them out of shots or anything to interfere with their natural behaviors so they created porgs to account for all the birds in the background.

Didn't realise puffins found their way into the falcon or wandered up to chewie eating....

I would have been happy with that being the reason and effect, it was giving them "minion-esque" qualities that was the misstep (to me)

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. What blame?

Three critically acclaimed box office successes?

More like 'George Lucas was never that bad' amiright?