• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Only fans who didn't like TLJ think that pointing out how much of George's vision for the Sequel Trilogy remains is some sort of attempt to "blame it on him". It's not.

But a lot of those same fans think that Lucas had nothing to do with this because "he would never make Luke a hermit or go into hiding after failing". Well, he did in fact come up with that (mostly).

It just confirms that George is great at coming up with broad outlines of stories and concepts.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Porgs were actually a necessity because there were so many puffins on the island. Since they're government protected, the film crew couldn't shoo them out of shots or anything to interfere with their natural behaviors so they created porgs to account for all the birds in the background.
I just hate their big cutesy eyes. They're like little Ewoks.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Funny you should mention that.

419xGlXl1VL._SY300_.jpg

A brand new toy of hers was just released, figured she was persona non grata as was all the other EU.
The Star Wars website does a fan vote every year and a lot of people voted for her. It's the only chance for EU figures they want to get made now.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
We could've had Darth Talon.
WE COULD'VE HAD A TWI'LEK IN AN IMPORTANT ROLE ON THE BIG SCREEN
Oh well. Maybe someday. Until then I guess Hera's the closest we'll get. She's cool. But TV show not the same as a movie.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
We haven't seen the end of Talon. That she came so very close to being in the sequel trilogy and in such a huge role indicates the interest in making her fit into the new canon. Yeah, they decided not to go the Episode VII route with her but we have seen time and time again how discarded Star Wars ideas get picked up and used in future projects.

Visually she's unlike any other Star Wars villain we have ever had, can't wait to see how they manage to work her into things.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty cool, I wouldn't want Lucas to direct but at least his ideas, creativity and themes are quite fresh and interesting, he would at least have pushed for new locations and if there was a good director and writer to help out they could be really good. You can see JJ and Rian sucked the life out them and just padded them with nothingness and played it safe.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of discussing Star Wars at this point, but the GL version would have been infinitely better than the ANH retread we got in Episode 7. And it wouldn't have set us up to retread ESB in TLJ.. It's a shame really. All that money and writers at Disney couldn't come up with an original story.

FrankJaeger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not big fan of ST storyline as a whole, but no matter how you look at it "Uber" sounds much much better than "Snoke".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Lucas still ran Star Wars.

I said it.

Pretty cool, I wouldn't want Lucas to direct but at least his ideas, creativity and themes are quite fresh and interesting, he would at least have pushed for new locations and if there was a good director and writer to help out they could be really good. You can see JJ and Rian sucked the life out them and just padded them with nothingness and played it safe.

Clone Wars is the perfect example of Lucas being confined to the role of idea man and overseer but letting great people handle the execution. And, it worked out great.
Lucas: So um, Darth Maul isn't dead and he has spider legs. And, don't worry about money issues, just make it as amazing as possible.

Filoni and Co: *staring in a complete daze* Okay...we'll figure it out.

*proceeds to turn out an amazing story arc between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi.*

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of discussing Star Wars at this point, but the GL version would have been infinitely better than the ANH retread we got in Episode 7. And it wouldn't have set us up to retread ESB in TLJ.. It's a shame really. All that money and writers at Disney couldn't come up with an original story.
Agreed, and at least we would have gotten funny jokes if they turned out prequel bad. We missed out either way

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully we hear even more of his plans once the next movie is done and out. I like that they incorporated his stuff in here though, I was annoyed initially thinking they scrapped everything Lucas gave them for the future of his franchise.

too bad he didn't have collaborators with him on the Prequel trilogy. I think with a co-writer and having other directors we could have gotten something more well realized.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
It's like, there are so many interesting ideas.

I wish I could see George's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see JJ's version of 7, 8 and 9.

I wish I could see Rian's version of 7, 8 and 9.

We got a mish mash of ideas which still leads to a great experience but I have a lot of curiosity about what it could be like.

Agreed. The decision to split the Trilogy up was dumb.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Super interesting stuff. It's really neat getting a window into how ideas change over time, and I'm appreciative of that, but sometimes it's for the better that this stuff doesn't get out there.

Now there will always be (and there probably already was) a contingent of people that will long for George's trilogy based off of concept art and broad brushstrokes he laid down. I would have probably preferred things like George's Jakku, for instance, but there are so many things that change and are reasoned out through production that those hypotheticals always feel like they're wishing for something that probably would have changed into something else anyways once it got down to business of making the film. It seems like that version of Jakku was probably a bit dark for TFA and Rey's journey tonally, for instance.

And, nobody wants a repeat of the prequels where there are similar complaints: great ideas, crummy execution.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this isn't a serious post.

If you go down that route, I'm sure you can find a connection between any two things and then call those two things "basically the same".
those are all the main plot points of the film. lucas got shit on the 'it rhymes' crap but these films are basically using tracing paper

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
....Ugh. Now that I actually read the article I'm even more upset with the movie's we've gotten. FUCK, this would have been good!
They are same stuff, either way. I liked the film well enough but just like TFA half the time I was thinking 'oh just like the original film'
This, even with TLJ I basically knew what was going to happen once I saw the ships trying to leave the first planet. Rey/Snoke/Kylo was surprising, as was Luke dying, but the overall plot was super predictable.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
....Ugh. Now that I actually read the article I'm even more upset with the movie's we've gotten. FUCK, this would have been good!
This, even with TLJ I basically knew what was going to happen once I saw the ships trying to leave the first planet. Rey/Snoke/Kylo was surprising, as was Luke dying, but the overall plot was super predictable.

So you found what happened to all the main characters surprising, but somehow the movie was predictable? If you take out all those characters all you have left is the Rebellion and their chase scene.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you found what happened to all the main characters surprising, but somehow the movie was predictable? If you take out all those characters all you have left is the Rebellion and their chase scene.
Star Wars to me, is about the larger arc than any individual characters. I've said that several times in other threads.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Lucas came up with the cool ideas of the sequel trilogy? So Disney can't even be credited with that.

I still don't understand the narrative of the Disney Star Wars being good and publishing post after post to convince others. If you like it fine but be aware that others hate it. Why didn't the prequels get this level of justification and protectiveness?

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an issue with any of the ideas in the OP that made their way into the sequels. It was just a lot of the... other... stuff...

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Supreme Leader Uber.

In the entire galaxy, only Supreme Leader Lyft dared oppose him!

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So Lucas came up with the cool ideas of the sequel trilogy? So Disney can't even be credited with that.

I still don't understand the narrative of the Disney Star Wars being good and publishing post after post to convince others. If you like it fine but be aware that others hate it. Why didn't the prequels get this level of justification and protectiveness?
A 'narrative' suggests that it's false when that isn't the case. Both TFA and TLJ have been well received. Rogue One to a lesser extent, but it still received a mostly positive reception from critics.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Help me if I'm wrong, but there is literally no revisited locale in any of the new movies, is there? All planets are new. Yes, Jakku looks a lot like Tatooine and I too would have loved to see this graveyard world be something else then sand-dessert.

Also, if Rian played it safe, why is the fandom so up in arms about Luke not being 'theirs' anymore in TLJ, or even up in arms because it's not the Star Wars they expected? (I agree JJ played it quite safe with reusing imagery and beats, but I can understand why he and Lucasfilm thought this was necessairy. TFA had to prove the 'old' Star Wars was back first, before they could subvert)