Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

The internet is a portal to intercultural awareness. When discussing ramen versus pho, for example, all I have to do is pull out my phone and a quick Google search lets me know the noodle's country of origin, the differences in their broths, and their evolution over time. Now I know what I'm talking about in future discussions about either, and I'm less likely to make potentially harmful assumptions around the cultures from which these foods come.

On the other hand, technology also makes it much easier to borrow elements of other cultures. When we all live behind the relatively anonymous wall of the internet, we have near-absolute power to display ourselves in whatever manner we like. I can pretend to be an Asian American man living in Wyoming if I want. (I'm not: I'm a Black woman living on the East Coast.)

One prominent problematic example of this is the use of digital blackface in GIFs. While using GIFs is not nearly as extreme as taking on a whole fake online identity, it represents a much more subversive way that cross-cultural blending from the internet can reinforce negative stereotypes and make us less empathetic when it comes to other races.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont use reaction gifs because the person is black or asian or whatever. i use them because they're relevant to the situation im using them in.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
tenor.gif

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't insert myself into the gif/meme. It's not digital black face.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
my eyes rolled so hard they did not move while my whole body rolled around them.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
As to everything in life, discretion is advised. Cross check your beliefs with the topic you are using them on.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
I generally don't use memes, but if I did, I wouldn't give a rat ass about the skin color of whoever appear on it.

What you make skin color a variable in your decision-making process, this is racism, period. Medium may be unvolontary contributing to it by making it a factor.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with the article. And I'm here for the reaction gifs in this very thread.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are in general really popular reaction gifs in all sorts of contexts. I think more of the time these days, I see actually see a funny reaction using a gif of a white person..

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
This is a fucking dumb article

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean I can't use gifs with Asians in them either?

Status
Not open for further replies.