• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
It's good when billionaires buy big stupid shit like this. At least the money is now circulating in the economy and some boat making people got paid.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
damn that sounds way more expensive and the speed is so slow lol probably super luxurious though

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Other than giving away the very vast majority of it to charitable causes, environmental and otherwise, over the course of his lifetime, what would you like him to do with it? Bonus points if you can tell me you would do any better with a straight face.
Pay a more proportional share of taxes relative to need.

how dare he buy something with his own money that he earned.

out of all the billionaires on the planet he has done a lot to help poorer people.
Most of Gates' wealth is now derived from market investment. He isn't "earning" anything. He's rich enough to own a perpetual money making machine.

Thats the problem. Gates does a lot of good things with his billions, but opposing legitimate tax reform on capital gains and top earners is him making the claim the he is intellectually and morally superior because of the money, and therefore should be entrusted to distribute as he sees fit. That as opposed to it being used to expand and improve demonstrably more effective social services programs that benefit all people, not just chosen cause of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

He's not a bad guy, but he's supporting the perpetuation of an inherently broken system. His charitable work is the epitome of "band-aids on bullet holes".

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pay a more proportional share of taxes relative to need.
He has repeatedly stated that he should have to pay more in taxes. For lack of ability to unilaterally tax himself more as a private citizen...what about instead donating the vast majority of his wealth to charitable causes do you find problematic?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It's good when billionaires buy big stupid shit like this. At least the money is now circulating in the economy and some boat making people got paid.
I think it is better spending money than hoarding it, but spending the 600 million USD for stupid luxury stuff is still just stupid. It's basically a huge (& luxury) pile of trash while others suffer to buy essential needs.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has repeatedly stated that he should have to pay more in taxes. For lack of ability to unilaterally tax himself more as a private citizen...what about instead donating the vast majority of his wealth to charitable causes do you find problematic?

He could spend an easy 100 million lobbying for those taxes from the government but words are nice too I suppose.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What part do I find problematic? The part where he actually isn't donating the vast majority of his wealth to charitable causes.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You should look up his contributions to environmental causes. Factually and proportionally, he has done much more than we have. I know this forum gives out a lot of points for regurgitating lazy criticisms of anyone with money, but he's not really the best one to have a hissy fit over.
Conversely, this one luxury purchase will be responsible for more environmental devastation as a result of resource extraction and refinement than almost anyone on here could accomplish through their entire life.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Bloomberg and Bezos donated more money in 2018 than Bill Gates did.

This yacht cosy over 4 times as much as he donated in 2018.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The rich people thing for yachts always confuses me. You're just looking for expensive things to buy at that point. None of y'all are at sea that often. And when you are, it's only because you have this yacht you have to use. Is it some relic of rich culture from a pre-air-travel day when you really did need a boat for intercontinental travel? Or is it really just a conspicuous consumption thing.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019

out of all the billionaires on the planet he has done a lot to help poorer people.
Nothing any singular person has ever done or ever will do is worth 1 billion. He has over 100 billion. He didn't earn that. And his charity work doesn't make him squeaky clean.

nuoh_my_god

Nov 11, 2017
Ireland

Yeah, and then when a prospect of this happening appears on the horizon, he suddenly changes his tune. Never trust billionaires.

www.independent.co.uk

Bill Gates attacks Elizabeth Warren's wealth tax saying it would leave him 'counting what he had left over'

Microsoft founder and billionaire says he will not make ‘political declarations’ about who he will vote for

"Bill Gates says Elizabeth Warren's wealth tax would leave him 'counting what he had left over'"

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017

the Gates Foundation is self-serving in terms of both maximizing returns on investments, and avoiding tax

many of their reforms overemphasize tech-based solutions that they and their friends in turn profit from

but yeah ok maybe their heart is in the right place but they are disdainful of government and good governance, and there's no fucking oversight

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
He should be taxed 109 billion out of his 110 billion since no-one should be a multi billionaire but he sure as shit wouldn't agree to that. He agrees he should be taxed more until an actual figure is brought up then he shits himself

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Bill just getting his family ready for the great flood of 2050. Nothing to see hear.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"There are so many other things he would do with this money if his goal was to advance environmentalism.
Like all the other things he has already done?

Just like when Tesla was starting out, its a good thing that Bill is showing you can have impressive machinery that doesnt run on the worst stuff. The 1% needs to be convinced of that more than anyone.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, and then when a prospect of this happening appears on the horizon, he suddenly changes his tune. Never trust billionaires.

www.independent.co.uk

Bill Gates attacks Elizabeth Warren's wealth tax saying it would leave him 'counting what he had left over'

Microsoft founder and billionaire says he will not make ‘political declarations’ about who he will vote for

"Bill Gates says Elizabeth Warren's wealth tax would leave him 'counting what he had left over'"
I'm sure you understand nuance and detail. You should really read through his comments from that time.

New Important Information

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
https://sinot.com/

aqua_press_release-3-1200x900.jpg

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He should be taxed 109 billion out of his 110 billion since no-one should be a multi billionaire but he sure as shit wouldn't agree to that. He agrees he should be taxed more until an actual figure is brought up then he shits himself
I mean if that's the figure on the table, then yeah. I guess try a number in better faith.

nuoh_my_god

Nov 11, 2017
Ireland
I'm sure you understand nuance and detail. You should really read through his comments from that time.

What nuance? There is none. While not every billionaire thinks he should be taxed more, they ALL think they should be the ones deciding how much to contribute. That is why the love fucking charities so much, since they can pay an effective tax of lets say 10% and then donate 1% to make them seem like generous. Instead of being taxed at 90% on their billions like they should have been.

So there is no nuance. Bill Gates thinks taxes should be higher. How much higher? Only as much Bill Gates thinks is high enough. Anything over and he's the same as any other billionaire, thinks his intellect should be the one deciding what and how many scraps we get off of their tables.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I mean if that's the figure on the table, then yeah. I guess try a number in better faith.
That is in good faith for starters, in fact it's me being gentle, I'm still leaving him a billionaire in that scenario when in reality billionaires shouldn't be a thing. But he got shit scared of Warren's tax plan and tried to mislead people into thinking she was going to tax him 100 billion which her plan wouldn't do and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that. I can only imagine what he'd be willing to do if bernie wins, since his tax plan would hit gates even harder than Warren's

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People should be able to avoid taxes for decades as long as they write future taxes off as philanthropy.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
My point is trying to cure Polio is a very worthwhile cause and attacking that cause like it's some kind mistake is a dick move.
I understand, but the way I see it is this:

There's a rogue killer on the loose (uncontrolled capitalism) and they just used a sword to cut a giant gash in a person (the USA/world). There is this giant gushing wound and here comes the medic Bill Gates, "Don't worry, I got this!" and puts one of those tiny band aids made for paper cuts on the corner then gives it a kiss. That little bandage is going to do nothing to stop the bleeding and if you were a third person watching this, you'd ask Gates "What the fuck are you even doing with this band aid? Why aren't you actually stopping the bleeding?" There's a cop standing right there, "Why aren't you stopping this guy! He just keeps stabbing at people!", "Don't worry" the cop says, "Bill Gates is taking care of all the bodies, I mean people right now. Everything he's doing is enough and we don't see the need to actually stop the rogue killer from stabbing people". There's a fourth person watching this unfold (you), going, "He put the band aid on, hasn't Gates already done enough?". "No! He hasn't. Get a real doctor in here to stop the bleeding and then get a cop that'll do their job and stop the god damned rogue killer from stabbing people!".

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
This story isn't true. Completely fabricated.

You should think considerably less of any media outlet that ran this story, because they ran it without even the basics of calling the company to ask if it was true.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This story isn't true. Completely fabricated.

You should think considerably less of any media outlet that ran this story, because they ran it without even the basics of calling the company to ask if it was true.

I'm surprised the Guardian did zero fact checking.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing more environmentally conscious than building a massive star destroyer yacht.
Edit: oh, it's fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.