• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Looks like fake news.

sinot.com

Aware - Sinot Yacht Architecture & Design

We consider every yacht design to be a fresh challenge to make the impossible possible. With a constant ambition to surpass expectations.

Bill Gates has ordered the world's first hydrogen-powered superyacht, worth an estimated £500m ($644m) and featuring an infinity pool, helipad, spa and gym.

The billionaire co-founder of Microsoft has commissioned the Aqua ship – a 112-metre (370ft) luxury vessel completely powered by liquid hydrogen – which was publicised last year at the Monaco yacht show by the Dutch design firm Sinot.

The investment underlines Gates's long-standing interest in alternative fuels, and his enthusiasm for new technology that could tackle emissions from industry and transport that together make up 75% of the world's carbon footprint.

2400.jpg

www.theguardian.com

Removed: article

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
thats too big to be called a yacht

edit: i guess they can be that big. pop culture leads me to believe they are small

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for saving the planet Bill.

I'm sure many will follow your lead especially looking how affordable the yatch is.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The investment underlines Gates's long-standing interest in alternative fuels, and his enthusiasm for new technology that could tackle emissions from industry and transport that together make up 75% of the world's carbon footprint.

No, it underlines his interest in having a super yacht.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
What happened to ydrogen-powered cars? I remember BMW being a lot into it during the 2000s.

Boats are cool. Sea is cool. I wish I could afford one.
They are not efficient enough to produce. When you leave the innovation in the hand of the private sector which is limited by efficiency and thus profit needed to stay alive and make shareholders happy this is what happens.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"The investment underlines Gates's long-standing interest in alternative fuels, and his enthusiasm for new technology that could tackle emissions from industry and transport that together make up 75% of the world's carbon footprint."

No it doesn't. It underlines his long-standing interest in having a fucking massive luxury superyacht.

There are so many other things he would do with this money if his goal was to advance environmentalism.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's giving away 99% of his wealth, are people really complaining that he bought a yacht?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with these 1%ers and giant boats? (Paul Allen had a giant yacht as well) like what is the point?

The rich want constant reminders they are rich.
He's giving away 99% of his wealth, are people really complaining that he bought a yacht?

No he isn't. He still has most of his money.

Let's not forget Bill Gates still lobbies the government for laws that favor the super rich just like every other billionaire.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Loving the green credentials, hydrogen powered* and zero emissions.

(Hydrogen created by burning fossil fuels)

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The reason the super rich like yachts is the privacy they're afforded, they can control the staff via ndas they can control the guests. It's the same reason Richard Branson's island retreats are so popular with the very rich

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"The investment underlines Gates's long-standing interest in alternative fuels, and his enthusiasm for new technology that could tackle emissions from industry and transport that together make up 75% of the world's carbon footprint."

No it doesn't. It underlines his long-standing interest in having a fucking massive luxury superyacht.

There are so many other things he would do with this money if his goal was to advance environmentalism.
You should look up his contributions to environmental causes. Factually and proportionally, he has done much more than we have. I know this forum gives out a lot of points for regurgitating lazy criticisms of anyone with money, but he's not really the best one to have a hissy fit over.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You should look up his contributions to environmental causes. Factually and proportionally, he has done much more than we have. I know this forum gives out a lot of points for regurgitating lazy criticisms of anyone with money, but he's not really the best one to have a hissy fit over.
What level of luxury does any individual need over a billion dollars in personal wealth.

I wouldn't really give him any shit if he just said "It's my money, I want it and you can't take it" or something to that effect, but he presents himself as an environmentalist and philanthropist whilst hoarding immense sums of money that no person needs.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if climate change being such a danger billionaires could just refrain from building massive yachts altogether.

Why are they necessary in a time of crisis?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What level of luxury does any individual need over a billion dollars in personal wealth.

I wouldn't really give him any shit if he just said "It's my money, I want it and you can't take it" or something to that effect, but he presents himself as an environmentalist and philanthropist whilst hoarding immense sums of money that no person needs.

He certainly has his life mapped out and he's said probably 100's of times what he plans on doing with his billions.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Some of us think about 50% of that wealth should have been taxed along the way, also Microsoft should have been prevented from ever growing this big considering their dirty and illegal business tactics. Billionaires giving away their fortune is not a good thing, it's a symptom of a completely broken system.

If he was serious about making the world better he wouldn't waste the money on inventing new toilets or trying to eradicate polio. Instead he would spend the money on lobbying for stronger unions, proper taxes for the rich, going against exploitation of developing countries, taking business interests out of politics and so on.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
"I am going to give most of my fortune to good causes, but you really can't expect me not to buy a 500$ million super yacht the size of a small village, can you?"

Fuck billionaires.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe if climate change being such a danger billionaires could just refrain from building massive yachts altogether.

Why are they necessary in a time of crisis?
On the contrary, now is the time to invest in self-sustaining luxury yatchs! Mars colonies and underground bunkers are also an option..

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that hydrogen needs to be produced and that boat is only actually "eco-fuelled" if the hydrogen production happens via renewable energy

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo we got people starving in the streets in the US. One person should not hold so much fucking wealth. I don't celebrate this at all. It's not a cute story. This amount of money could lift how many people from poverty?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I like the work Bill Gates does and think hydrogen might be a good fuel source for ships.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Other than giving away the very vast majority of it to charitable causes, environmental and otherwise, over the course of his lifetime, what would you like him to do with it? Bonus points if you can tell me you would do any better with a straight face.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Yo we got people starving in the streets in the US. One person should not hold so much fucking wealth. I don't celebrate this at all. It's not a cute story. This amount of money could lift how many people from poverty?
how dare he buy something with his own money that he earned.

out of all the billionaires on the planet he has done a lot to help poorer people.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
They are not efficient enough to produce. When you leave the innovation in the hand of the private sector which is limited by efficiency and thus profit needed to stay alive and make shareholders happy this is what happens.
Efficiency should matter though. Capitalism as a means to test viability has significant inherent flaws but hydrogen cars were beat out on viability by electrics so far, not by a defense of the status quo.

A lot of that comes from hydrogen's variables in execution. A car burping out water isn't really going to work in colder climates where it could ice up roads for example, and a rollout of hydrogen fueling stations is more challenging than electrics, as the distribution method for electrics already exist.

The caveat for electrics is that it puts the onus back on how we generate grid power, which still has a long ways to go in most of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.