• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
So.....anyone have any good advice for potty training?
Take him outside every thirty minutes or hour. Praise and give a treat when they do their thing outside.

It's a lot of work at first but shouldn't be for too long as Goldens are pretty smart. Our Mini Schnauzer was house trained within the week.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaaah, congrats! This reminds me of my labradoodle that I'll be getting in about four months. Gonna be a lot of work, but can't wait!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For during the day just take them outside regularly and positive feedback, they know the score and like marking places out and about plus walking. Don't need to be crazy about it unless you keep having a problem, stick to a simple schedule so you aren't hassled, remember they can go a whole night not doing anything. You only need to do it for a day or so, usually the cardboard box doesn't survive anyway once they think hey what's this!

For overnight, we got this great tip, put a cardboard box, big enough for a den over their bed at night, obviously with a cut out entrance. When we did this he never peed or pooped that night nor any other night after that, didn't even need to worry about during the day either. Apparently it has some instant don't shit in your own nest effect/I'm too cosy in my house so I'll wait until I get outside.

So cute, need to remember that breed.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

We taught our pup to ring a bell when she has to go. It was surprisingly easy. Just hung a bell from our doorknob. Every time we took Egon out, we would take her paw and make her ring the bell while saying "let's go potty, ring the bell." It took very little time for her to get it. The thing we struggled with the most was like the first month or so she would ring just wanting to play outside. So, you'd have to bring her out, and then come right back in if she wouldn't pee. Of course not give her a treat if she didn't actually go to the bathroom as well. After a while she understood the bell was for pissing, not playing.

OP
OP
WeAreStarStuff
Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Take him outside every thirty minutes or hour. Praise and give a treat when they do their thing outside.

It's a lot of work at first but shouldn't be for too long as Goldens are pretty smart. Our Mini Schnauzer was house trained within the week.

For during the day just take them outside regularly and positive feedback, they know the score and like marking places out and about plus walking. Don't need to be crazy about it unless you keep having a problem, stick to a simple schedule so you aren't hassled, remember they can go a whole night not doing anything. You only need to do it for a day or so, usually the cardboard box doesn't survive anyway once they think hey what's this!

For overnight, we got this great tip, put a cardboard box, big enough for a den over their bed at night, obviously with a cut out entrance. When we did this he never peed or pooped that night nor any other night after that, didn't even need to worry about during the day either. Apparently it has some instant don't shit in your own nest effect/I'm too cosy in my house so I'll wait until I get outside.

So cute, need to remember that breed.

We taught our pup to ring a bell when she has to go. It was surprisingly easy. Just hung a bell from our doorknob. Every time we took Egon out, we would take her paw and make her ring the bell while saying "let's go potty, ring the bell." It took very little time for her to get it. The thing we struggled with the most was like the first month or so she would ring just wanting to play outside. So, you'd have to bring her out, and then come right back in if she wouldn't pee. Of course not give her a treat if she didn't actually go to the bathroom as well. After a while she understood the bell was for pissing, not playing.

What we've currently been doing is as soon as we all wake up in the morning (we crate him at night in our bedroom) I take him outside into the back yard and he urinates immediately, we praise him and give him a treat. The knuckhead never defecates at the same time, so we bring him back in, and then take him out 10--15 minutes later to let him do his business. He's never gone in his crate, but it has been hit and miss during the day in the house over this weekend. Sometimes we catch him before he goes, and sometimes we don't. We always take him out when we are able to stop him and praise him after he does it outside. It's funny that you mention a bell; we took him to the vet today and he said that he used that technique. My fiancee actually just ordered a bell, so we'll give that a try!

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
He's going to be a lot bigger than 25lbs if those percentages are to be believed

Also be careful doing the bell training. They'll quickly learn to just ring it to go outside for fun I'd wait until he already knows how to do his business 100% out there

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Bring him outside everytime he wakes up, has eaten, or played. Praise everytime he pees/poops outside. Don't scold for doing it inside, just clean it up.
This. Also read into how to training a puppy. Like. A book or a guide atleast. Don't just wing it.

The rule of thumb is 1hr per month for how long they can hold it but it's best not to push that when they're not in the kennel and just do it whenever they do anything.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Lovely dog, I hope you are all very happy together!

You have been blessed with a child to love and doggos are the best children to have.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
What we've currently been doing is as soon as we all wake up in the morning (we crate him at night in our bedroom) I take him outside into the back yard and he urinates immediately, we praise him and give him a treat. The knuckhead never defecates at the same time, so we bring him back in, and then take him out 10--15 minutes later to let him do his business. He's never gone in his crate, but it has been hit and miss during the day in the house over this weekend. Sometimes we catch him before he goes, and sometimes we don't. We always take him out when we are able to stop him and praise him after he does it outside. It's funny that you mention a bell; we took him to the vet today and he said that he used that technique. My fiancee actually just ordered a bell, so we'll give that a try!
Forgot to mention, posting regular pictures will also help them learn faster. ;)

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I knew a Labradoodle that was a 50-50 mix. I can see why they are getting very popular. He shed very little, was really smart and easily trainable, nice size as an adult, and absolutely adorable as a puppy. Really great dog.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's a dorg. Good dorg.

Also, make sure you keep food away from the edge of your tables. And always put your napkins away when you're done with them, or they'll be shredded in seconds.