• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Came in ready to fight but everyone is already telling the truth.

I'll also start calling the Mario 64's console the "Nintendo Nintendo 64"

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda like both names, but I disagree with your premise that saying "Sega Mega" sounds clumsy. On the contrary I think there's a pleasing assonance due to the repeated 'GA' noise. It's quite poetic really.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
5894c1c8-f100-11e5-8ea4-c9f67f478baa.jpg

way cooler than your Genesis.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, want to come to my house and play my Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Goes great with a mega cd. Or add in a computer and now it's a tera drive (because greek prefixes geddit). Now you're playing with mega power.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive sounds like it's the most powerful electronics device ever built. Ready to revolutionize gaming as we knew it through a 16-bit revolution thanks to its built in flux capacitor and its blast processing capabilities.

Genesis is what we made up when we didn't have science. Built with wood and stones, smoke and mirrors.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
The only people who actively call it the Sega Mega Drive are the same people who likely refer to the original Xbox as the Microsoft DirectXbox, or some nonsense like that.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Genesis kid here and I think the Mega Drive is one of the best system names ever. Nothing subtle, about the name---- just pure awesome

Hell even that big-ass 16 BIT on the console screams late 80's maximalism

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the 16-bit era, I thought Mega Drive was the cooler name. I'm in Canada so it was called the Genesis here but I bought plenty of Japanese MD games. Today, I think Mega Drive sounds more like generic computer parts. Genesis is a bit weird but stands out more.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Came in this thread hoping to see references to the synthwave producer. I will leave satisfied. đź‘Ź

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis is the better name, purple SNES looks best, people who say SNES as a word are heathens, etc. These are all the correct choices.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This might be the first time I put a thread on ignore ( not the op, but I want to though).

Respect Mega Drive.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It is. Genesis branding and advertising is what made it for Sega in the 16-bit era.

It does seem a little ironic when British youtubers doing retrospectives of the Sega "Mega Drive" always fall back on a clipshow of the 16-bit era SOA Genesis ads as they narrate through the console wars and Sega's meteoric rise between 1989 and 1994.

It's impossible to write the Genesis out or write it off, and it's a one word brand that encapsulates and captures the zeitgeist of the moment and pronounced Sega's arrival as a major player.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
First Genesis was beautiful, first gen MD looked incomplete without the logo on the top of the ring part.

First gen Genesis with first gen Sega CD attached may well be the most beautiful system ever produced.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It is. Genesis branding and advertising is what made it for Sega in the 16-bit era.

It does seem a little ironic when British youtubers doing retrospectives of the Sega "Mega Drive" always fall back on a clipshow of the 16-bit era SOA Genesis ads as they narrate through the console wars and Sega's meteoric rise between 1989 and 1994.

It's impossible to write the Genesis out or write it off, and it's a one word brand that encapsulates and captures the zeitgeist of the moment and pronounced Sega's arrival as a major player.
This is a completely US-centric viewpoint.

A high proportion of the sales of the machine were in countries where it was named Mega Drive. I grew up with the Mega Drive in Australia and didn't know what the fuck a Genesis was, even when i did occasionally see some games available for rent at Blockbuster that were branded with that title. I'm sure Europe and Japan were similar in this respect.

British Youtubers using clips from US ads likely reflects more on the availability of the clips than it does on that particular brand name "capturing the zeitgeist of the moment", whatever that means.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is a completely US-centric viewpoint.

A high proportion of the sales of the machine were in countries where it was named Mega Drive. I grew up with the Mega Drive in Australia and didn't know what the fuck a Genesis was, even when i did occasionally see some games available for rent at Blockbuster that were branded with that title. I'm sure Europe and Japan were similar in this respect.

British Youtubers using clips from US ads likely reflects more on the availability of the clips than it does on that particular brand name "capturing the zeitgeist of the moment", whatever that means.

Having watched a lot of videos around the 16-bit era, I feel what you call it, "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" is necessarily tied to your region. So in a sense both answers are right, and that's how it's been for a long time. It's really the recent push to declare Mega Drive the 'better' brand or what have you that have irked me. It absolutely wasn't. The brand that made all the difference was the Genesis. This thread is very much a response to that. I believe ERa has a previous thread on this as well where people declared Mega Drive to be the 'correct' name or whatever. The needless tribalism is perplexing and the region-centricism ought to be called out.

At the end of the day, back then the SNES was called the SFC/SuperFamicom in Japan and the European SNES had Japanese stylings. So market fragmentation was common. I would be equally ridiculous I think for a Japanese person to declare the SuperFamicom as the better name. This whole kerfuffle over names is more irritating to me for its frivious tribalism. But I digress. I've said my piece and will leave it at that

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Genesis does what Mega Drive don't

Mega Drive sounds like a $20 console you'd find at K-mart.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always wanted a Spy movie where the European Spy blows his cover by referencing the "Mega Drive" when talking about Sega Genesis with Americans