• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Genesis was so bad they dropped it for the CD release, whereas the rest of us got Mega CD

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Mega Drive II was a dumb name for a revision though. Even before Sony swaggered in with their incremental numerals for new systems, it made it seem like a different console.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Done some absolute bangers thats for sure.

I hear Genesis, I hear Phil Collins. I hear Mega Drive, I think cool.

GENESIS

genesis-640x506.jpg

MEGA DRIVE

No.

Genesis is Peter Gabriel.

It's still not a game console name.

Mega Drive is a far better name. It's literally Mega.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Next week in "Objectively Wrong", OP will be claiming that the US SNES is more attractive that the JP/PAL version. Stay tuned!
This is like the other case of seeing how capable someone is of breaking away from their childhood brainwashing.

People who grew up with NA SNES and don't think it looks abominable are not to be trusted.

People who grew up with Mega Drive and think it doesn't sound like the most generic sounding console name ever conceived are not to be trusted.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Can't we all agree that actually both names were fine? Nintendo fans on the other hand had to put up with this (NES):
- It's made by Nintendo.
- It provides entertainment.
- It's a system.
Horrendous.
And then the SNES was all of the above but "super".

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Mega Drive makes sense because of Master System

Can't we all agree that actually both names were fine? Nintendo fans on the other hand had to put up with this (NES):
- It's made by Nintendo.
- It's a system.
Horrendous.

they should have stuck with Ultra Nintendo 64 for the next console

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
- It's made by Nintendo.
- It's a system.
Horrendous.
It was referred to almost exclusively as the 'The Nintendo'. They only had one machine, and their brand wasn't well known, so it was 'Nintendo's console' without thinking about there possibly being another one in the future.

The 'Entertainment System' part was necessary to make a break from the 'Video Games' label which were a market that had just collapsed in the US.

The Super Nintendo logo plays on this too, being clearly named Super Nintendo with ''Entertainment System' as a subtitle/description.
SNES_logo.svg

Sega did the same thing, it wasn't originally the 'Master System', it was just the 'Sega' (Interactive Video Entertainment System)

TSBS_US_Box_Front.jpg

SVGS_US_Box_Front.jpg

No reference to 'Master System' on games either until after the Mega Drive was out when it was finally officially branded as 'Master System.

64092-alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-sega-master-system-front-cover.jpg
19025-alex-kidd-in-shinobi-world-sega-master-system-front-cover.jpg

Master System was originally more akin to the NES 'Action Set' (Sega also had the 'Power Base' instead of 'Control Deck').

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was referred to almost exclusively as the 'The Nintendo'. They only had one machine, and their brand wasn't well known, so it was 'Nintendo's console' without thinking about there possibly being another one in the future.

The 'Entertainment System' part was necessary to make a break from the 'Video Games' label which were a market that had just collapsed in the US.

The Super Nintendo logo plays on this too, being clearly named Super Nintendo with ''Entertainment System' as a subtitle/description.
SNES_logo.svg

Sega did the same thing, it wasn't originally the 'Master System', it was just the 'Sega' (Interactive Video Entertainment System)

TSBS_US_Box_Front.jpg

SVGS_US_Box_Front.jpg

No reference to 'Master System' on games either until after the Mega Drive was out when it was finally officially branded as 'Master System.

64092-alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-sega-master-system-front-cover.jpg
19025-alex-kidd-in-shinobi-world-sega-master-system-front-cover.jpg

Master System was originally more akin to the NES 'Action Set' (Sega also had the 'Power Base' instead of 'Control Deck').
Yeah, they were just "Nintendo" and "Sega" to almost everyone in the 8-bit era.

There were some instances prior to the 16-bit systems where their now common acronyms would come up like with the NES Max controller and Video Game & Computer Entertainment using the SMS acronym prior to the North American Genesis launch (they needed to distinguish the two even before SOA officially did).

It is kind of amazing how strong a later branding can stick. No one called the Atari 2600 that name until the 5200 came out. It didn't even have that name until five years after launch. And hardly anyone called it the VCS before that. It was just Atari.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
If you just compare the names "Mega Drive" and "Genesis", both are perfectly fine choices, and I could see someone having a preference for either one.

But when you look at the full names, with "Sega" included, it's a different story.

Sega Mega Drive.

Sega Genesis.

"Sega Genesis" rolls off the tongue.

"Sega Mega Drive" is really clumsy, because of the "Sega Mega" part.

Whoever named that thing wasn't thinking of the make of the company putting the system out.

Pointless to bring it up in 2019, but I was inspired by a random tweet.

Someone else sees it. I always thought it's a slightly weak name. It reminds me of when I'd have to wear cheap knock-off trainers as a kid, and they'd always be labelled like "Ultra-Sport Hype 2000!" or some nonsense.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It works if you rhyme the word Sega with Mega, as in Seger Meger Drive as opposed to Sayger Meger Drive.

But then people would think you're crazy so best not.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Mega Drive sounds too technical and boring.

Genesis sounds cool and better than the competition at the time(Even though SNES was objectively better to me).

LeonSPBR

Oct 25, 2017
Never met someone that says "Sega Mega Drive", only Mega Drive.

Also Mega Drive is way better than Genesis

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but only because I grew up with Genesis. Pretty sure that's the determining factor for most people.

Americans had both the worst name substitution for Mega Drive but also the ugliest SNES model too.

The 16bit years were rough on them.
At least we got games localized.

(laughs in Chrono Trigger)

sorry

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Genesis sounds mushy, like a Dog eating wet canned Dog Food.

Mega Drive sounds like a Truck from Mad Max smashing its way through a pile of cars with fire and explosions going on in the process.

I think I'll take the Truck.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I said this in the other similar thread and I'll say again:
I'm brazilian and here the console is called Mega Drive, but I much prefer SEGA Genesis; I think comes from the NA marketing campaigns and the logo looking so much better. Without mention I have a little grudge with TecToy, honestly ~

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
No, I think that Genesis is bad, because it reminds me of Phil Collins. I don't hate Phil, but he doesn't exactly bring hot video games to mind. Mega Drive is a wonderful name, proudly headlining my entire childhood. You want a truly bad console name? Nintendo Wii. That was never ever good in any way.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The Sega Genesis is shit tier as far as naming conventions go

Almost as bad as TurboGraphx (when PC Engine and CoreGraphx were already perfect)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They're still bitter about it too apparently!....
North Americans arent bitter. It's the largest console market and without the Genesis getting 50% share and SoAs amazing marketing of the "Genesis" in NA the 16bit Sega console would be another curiosity like the master system .

That said, back then there was envy in North America, but it was mostly with regards to the the Japanese games we weren't getting that EGM or GamePro would cover. No one was envious of the weird ass frame rates of PAL conversions.

In any case it's really stupid to have this argument as I've said upthread.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree, never understood how most people seem to prefer it. Oh, not to mention Mega CD.. yuck!

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Genesis is a word they use in a cheaply made direct to dvd movie title.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Gensis and Dreamcast are two of the only good console names ever. All of the others are terrible, but Mega Drive is up there with "Entertainment System" as the worst.

Oct 31, 2017

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Mega Drive is an excellent name.

It was a console pitched primarily at kids, with a mascot called Sonic. Both of those are names you can utter with fevered excitement in the playground, in the same breath as stuff like Pogs and Boglins and Street Sharks. Genesis meant bible studies and Phil Collins; it was totally out of step with the way toys and games were marketed at that time.

"Duuude, have you seen that Sonic game on Brian's Mega Drive?! It's rad."

NB: I did actually have a friend called Brian who had a Mega Drive and later the Mega CD with that FMV driving game. Good times.

Last edited: