• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Genesis does what Mega Drive don't

Mega Drive sounds like a $20 console you'd find at K-mart.
I posted this earlier, and I'm posting it again, because there's no way you can top the wordplay going on for my comeback.

OOGZI0n.png

Oct 27, 2017
If you just compare the names "Mega Drive" and "Genesis", both are perfectly fine choices, and I could see someone having a preference for either one.

But when you look at the full names, with "Sega" included, it's a different story.

Sega Mega Drive.

Sega Genesis.

"Sega Genesis" rolls off the tongue.

"Sega Mega Drive" is really clumsy, because of the "Sega Mega" part.

Whoever named that thing wasn't thinking of the make of the company putting the system out.

Pointless to bring it up in 2019, but I was inspired by a random tweet.

Sounds awful if you pronounce Sega the American way.

Segga Mega Drive.

Awful.

Say-ga Mega Drive.

Wholesome.

But yeah, we just called it the Mega Drive.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's just "Mega Drive" in Japan. Sega didn't put their full name on their platforms in the home market often really unlike the west.
  • SG-1000
  • Sega Mark III (Sega Master System)
  • Mega Drive (Sega Genesis)
  • Game Gear, later rebranded Kid's Gear
  • Mega CD (Sega CD)
  • Super-32X (Genesis 32X)
  • Sega Saturn
  • Dreamcast

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Out of the Japanese console makers Nintendo's the only one who puts their name in the platform title often, and even then it's pretty split:
  • Family Computer (Nintendo Entertainment System)
  • Game Boy
  • Super Famicom (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
  • Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo 64
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • PokĂ©mon mini
  • Nintendo DS
  • Wii
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Wii U
  • Nintendo Switch

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
It's amazing how two different minds work. Mega Drive is the far superior name. Yeah it's the name I grew up with, I didn't even know it was called the Genesis in the US until my late teens, but it evokes images of a super computer and just sounds video gamey. Genesis is a truly awful name for a console.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Mega Drive is a name that is trying too hard. Mega what?

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis is such a lame name, conjuring up Bible thumping and awful Prog Rock.

Mega Drive suggests ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think nearly all the console names are bad. I mean, PlayStation, Xbox, Super Nintendo, Wii? Lol. It's like they came up with the names thinking they'd only appeal to children. Switch, Genesis and Gamecube (because of the shape of the system) are not terrible though.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
When I found out the Genesis was called the Mega Drve in Europe and thought name was way better and wondered why they would change to Genesis.