• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If you just compare the names "Mega Drive" and "Genesis", both are perfectly fine choices, and I could see someone having a preference for either one.

But when you look at the full names, with "Sega" included, it's a different story.

Sega Mega Drive.

Sega Genesis.

"Sega Genesis" rolls off the tongue.

"Sega Mega Drive" is really clumsy, because of the "Sega Mega" part.

Whoever named that thing wasn't thinking of the make of the company putting the system out.

Pointless to bring it up in 2019, but I was inspired by a random tweet.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Sega Mega" is fun to say for the Japanese.

Oct 26, 2017
If you just compare the names "Mega Drive" and "Genesis", both are perfectly fine choices, and I could see someone having a preference for either one.

But when you look at the full names, with "Sega" included, it's a different story.

Sega Mega Drive.

Sega Genesis.

"Sega Genesis" rolls off the tongue.

"Sega Mega Drive" is really clumsy, because of the "Sega Mega" part.

Whoever named that thing wasn't thinking of the make of the company putting the system out.

Pointless to bring it up in 2019, but I was inspired by a random tweet.

You never say "Sega Mega Drive".

You say:

"MEGA DRIVE"

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
Opinion from someone living in a Mega Drive region - Sega Genesis is a crap name.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I always knew it as the Genesis and still prefer Megadrive. Sounds cooler.

Oct 25, 2017
No one says "Sega" Mega Drive. No one says "Sony" Playstation. No one but execs up on stage making a presentation.

People just say Playstation. They say Mega Drive.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
what's so "mega" about it, and where is the "drive"?

*takes off gloves* i demand satisfaction

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Done some absolute bangers thats for sure.

I hear Genesis, I hear Phil Collins. I hear Mega Drive, I think cool.

GENESIS

genesis-640x506.jpg

MEGA DRIVE

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive is just two generic terms squished together. I always disliked it. Genesis always had a risque factor to it, like it was a perversion of the god-fearing culture to co-opt a Christian term when the Sega Genesis was the bad-boy console, the system with blood in Mortal Kombat. It really fit with the console's image.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasn't for trademarking issues, then the Genesis would've been called Mega Drive in North America.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive is a million times better than Genesis.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You never say "Sega Mega Drive".

You say:

"MEGA DRIVE"

One and done. You don't need to clarify what Mega Drive you're talking about, because unlike Genesis, it can only refer to one thing. Googling "Genesis" brings up the band, the biblical book, and a bunch of other stuff; googling "Mega Drive" brings up the console: that, my friends, is a good brand name.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Grew up with Genesis and I'm fine with it but for all the marketing and the era of RAD TUDE be honest, MEGA DRIVE is so much more fitting. 'Genesis' just isn't as much of a rad name as MEGA Drive.

ULTRA 64 also would've been the goat console name because ULTRA is definitively more rad than MEGA.

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive sounds dope. Like something out of sci-fi, which is better than something out of the Bible for my money.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Never though about that, mostly because no one says ''SEGA Mega Drive'' around here, just Mega Drive

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Mega Drive is absolutely beautiful.

Also, I didn't even know the Mega CD was just called Sega CD in the US. I weep for you.