Jane

Oct 17, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

Mega Man 9 was originally released on 22 September, 2008. It was made as a retro throwback to the NES Mega Man games, the last of which was Mega Man 6, originally released in Japan on November 5, 1993, about fifteen years prior.

5 Nov 1993 to 22 Sep 2008: 5435 days
22 Sep 2008 to 22 Aug 2023: 5448 days

Mega Man 9, made as a love letter to a bygone era of gaming, is now just as old as the games it was inspired by. I hope you enjoyed this information.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how there was that one decade-long period, between the advent of 3D gaming and the rise of digital download and indie games and all that, where "retro" games were actually extinct, and this sort of thing was a novelty.

Like, similarly, when New Super Mario Bros. came out, the whole gimmick was that it was a standard 2D Mario game, which we hadn't seen in ~16 years by that point. But the NSMB "era," if it can be called that, lasted longer than the original games'. And, again, the original DS game is older now (17 years!) than Super Mario World was at the time.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about stuff like this is like a drug I can't kick.

For example: the 3D era of Mario is now two and a half times older than the 2D era was when it started.

Star Trek TNG is almost twice as old now as TOS was when TNG started.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

For example: the 3D era of Mario is now two and a half times older than the 2D era was when it started.

The Beatles' Abbey Road to Nirvana's Nevermind = 22 years

Nirvana's Nevermind to today = 32 years.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

the one fact that melts my mind every time I think about it is how we are closer to Cleopatra's reign than she was to the building of the pyramids.

fucking what

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Mega Man 9 and 10 are such awesome games. It's so interesting to see them go back to the original art style for them, but it worked so well. I truly believe 9 is right on par with 2 and 3 as the best in the series. I admittedly never beat 10 so I can't speak to its quality yet.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Tbf MM6 was a late-in life NES release and the US release (which I'd expect most folks on an English speaking forum to have experienced) was a few months later in 1994. That's pretty far into the SNES/Genesis era and not too far off from the Japanese PS1 launch. It was dated looking even by that point. It's also worth noting that MM9 wasn't the last 8-bit styled MM, that was 10.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Oh, we're doing esoteric trivia with the passage of time now?

The gap between Marvel vs. Capcom 3's release and now is longer than the gap between Marvel vs. Capcom 2's release and Marvel vs. Capcom 3's release.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The original Castle Wolfenstein was released in 1981, 42 years after the beginning of World War II in 1939. It is now 2023, and the game is 42 years old.

Oct 29, 2017

Same, LOL.

Street Fighter 4 is almost as old now (15 years) as SFII was when 4 came out (17 years).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Oh god. It makes sense, but yet, oh god.

That also means Nevermind is older today than Please Please Me was when it came out. 10 years is longer than the Beatles' entire career.

the one fact that melts my mind every time I think about it is how we are closer to Cleopatra's reign than she was to the building of the pyramids.

fucking what

Yeah that's pretty mind blowing, though at least that's one that will some day no longer be true (just not in our lifetimes).

Same, LOL.

Street Fighter 4 is almost as old now (15 years) as SFII was when 4 came out (17 years).

Oh that's a good one. Yeesh.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Along these lines, being born in the 80s, and over time realizing I was less than 20 years removed from the Beatles being an active band, and how little time that really is has been a reoccurring mindfuck for me.

When you're young, 20 years might as well be 100. It seemed so much farther away than that. Now I think of things I said and did 12-15 years ago and the time in between has passed in the blink of an eye.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is cursed knowledge.

Damn I'm old. 😭

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
More time has passed between FFVII and now (26 years) than between FFVII and the first ever RPG video game m199h, made in 1974. Was gonna say FFX, but there's still five years left before that happens.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
On a similar note, Metal Gear Solid 3's release date is closer in time to the OG Metal Gear (~17 years) than to the present day (~19 years)

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
As of 2025, Duke Nukem Forever will have been out for longer than it was in development hell.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Pong (1972) was released closer to the end of the Ottoman Empire (1923) than to today.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is closer in time to Wolfenstein 3D than to the present day... slightly, by a matter of months pretty much.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
My current "favourite" one of these is CoD4/Halo 3 being older now than Wolfenstein 3D was when those games came out.

Call of Duty has been the goto FPS for more than half the lifespan of the entire genre, depressing.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I still want a new 8-bit Mega Man game. These were rad as hell, recreating the limitations on new releases.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Amount of time between the first and last F-Zero games: 14 years.

Amount of time since the last F-Zero game: 19 years.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It's been more time between the release of Sonic the Hedgehog '06 and today (~17 years) than it was between said game and the release of the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis/Mega Drive (15 years)

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 9 was an absolute dream game for me. I lost my fucking mind at the announcement.

Mega Man 10 is criminally underrated as well.