• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A Mega Man X9 with graphics like X4 but in HD would made me go absolutely nuts. Please Capcom. Gimme. Already liked the MM1 initiative (fuck 8-bit nostalgia baits aka MM9 and MM10). But I love X series so much more.

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, especially when it has been a decade or more since the last game.

MM9 and 10 are two of the best in the series.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Except for two stages that are vehicular auto-scrollers, I remember X8 being pretty decent.
It's been several years since I played, but I recall even the sidescrolling stages of X8 being really bad. Of all my years playing video games, X8 is the only time I've had a rage moment (which for me is simply throwing the controller at a pillow and turning off the game, lol)

Oct 31, 2017
DYekGFLVAAA50k3

Here's the merchandise in question.
What's this and where can I buy it?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They announced MM11 and are focused on that, so I doubt an X9 will happen right now. For the 30th anniversary though I think we'll probably see a new one.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The shoulder pads are more pronounced in that 25th Ani. Logo. If there is a god the redesign is the new look going forward, and we get a proper Megaman X with it. It looks a bit busy in Infinite, but everything there looks busy, and I do think it can work in its proper environment. Maybe make the helmet all blue instead of the two tone look going on.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, especially when it has been a decade or more since the last game.

MM9 and 10 are two of the best in the series.
Really disagree, I found them both a regression compared to the progression of the series, not only on visuals (MM8 was beautiful) but on gameplay too, removing charge shot and dash for no reason.

MenderAllana

Jan 10, 2018
Texas
As a whole, yeah. X5-X7 really bring down the series as a whole. Zero's weakest entry is 4 and even that's still a perfectly decent game at the end of the day.

Zero 1-4 Vs. X1-X4 is a much more interesting debate.
Aye, it's one of the reasons I wish I'd been able to play X4 - I've played the first three, but never had been able to get ahold of the fourth. Looking forward to a legacy collection.

Personally, there's aspects about each I prefer. I like the art style of Zero and ZX more than the (to me) clunky looking X, but I prefer the wider types of weaponry seen in X. I know Zero tried to use EX skills to emulate it, but it wasn't quite the same. Then ZX came along, and I definitely like what it did with the different forms, but then the sequel had to go and ruin it by taking it way too far...

You also have odd things - X1's relative ease, the extreme difficulty of the earlier Zero games, and then ZX's arguable identity crisis...

It's an interesting conversation for sure. Honestly, right now the only thing making me lean more Zero 1-4 than X 1-4 is something as tiny as art style preference, they're both a solid selection of games.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Really disagree, I found them both a regression compared to the progression of the series, not only on visuals (MM8 was beautiful) but on gameplay too, removing charge shot and dash for no reason.

You're likely in a very small group of people who don't think at least one of those two games is one of the best in the series.

Which is fine, obviously, but removing the charge shot is not a "regression." It drastically changed how the game played, some fans will say for the worst. I'm not one of those but I understood the reasoning and the desire to make the gameplay feel like 2 and 3 -- the games generally regarded as the best in the classic series.

Also, there is no dash. That's the X series.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, classic's way more consistent in quality. X1 is probably the best game in the franchise though.
I agree with all of this.
You're likely in a very small group of people who don't think at least one of those two games is one of the best in the series.

Which is fine, obviously, but removing the charge shot is not a "regression." It drastically changed how the game played, some fans will say for the worst. I'm not one of those but I understood the reasoning and the desire to make the gameplay feel like 2 and 3 -- the games generally regarded as the best in the classic series.

This is exactly how I feel. People need to understand that more doesn't always equate to 'better'.

The slide and mega buster changed the way those games played and added interesting possibilities for sure, but it wasn't always for the best, which is why I find it silly when someone's only argument when saying 3 is better than 2 is that it added the slide.

Going back to basics ensured they'd have to make the level design as tight as possible and they delivered, 9 is a masterpiece.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

The dash that I'm saying is the slide.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Why do people always have to do this, on either side of the divide? Can't they both just be good?
No!!!

In all seriousness, most people who like Mega Man like at the very least all of the sidescrolling entries to some extent. People just like to hyperbolize their favorites. Like, for me,

X > Zero = ZX >> Classic

But I really enjoy them all, and find each series to have its own unique set of strengths.

I do wonder about people who say they prefer MMZ's artstyle. Now it seems to be popular opinion to love it. At the time of its release, it was almost universally panned and criticized in the communities I was involved in at the time, and everyone preferred the edgier and bigger characters from X. I wonder how old those who prefer MMZ's art are.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the hate for ZX Advent. I thought it was a lot better than ZX, taking the transforming mechanic and doing more interesting things with it, and having an actually decently structured connected game world.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The slide / dash allows boss battles to be faster because the player can respond to them faster. Wall climbing, similarly, allows bosses to be more aggressive and cover more area with their attacks because the player can utilize the whole boss arena.

The charge shot isn't a straight upgrade in the same way.

Mar 4, 2018
I am not sure why people keep wanting new Megaman X game while the story is already over in X6 . I would prefer an original story game then continues of those series that already have conclusion like X,Zero, Battle network

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
X1 and X2 are top tier games. X3 is good but a bit below. All 3 are better than Classic series IMO.

MMZero is on the level of X1/X2 IMO, outstanding games too. Inti Creates should be the ones in charge of making a new MMX game IMO.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
X got a huge push in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite, there's also this official redesign that only made it's first appearance in a game with Infinite last year as DLC:
InLxIC9.jpg

What could be going on here? Is Mega Man X9 happening?

That redesign was not in infinite! This one is an april fool from capcom way before, that angered a lot of people!

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/04/06/capcom-april-fools-joke-results-in-sadder-mega-man-fans/

Truforce collectible then launched a kickstarter to make a figure out of it, i've got it and it's the best megaman X figure i possess! This also have metal parts and so on, not just plastic :

Truforce-MMX.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
EXE is the canon prequel to Megaman, bro.
Not sure if you're joking or not, so at the risk of being "that guy" I will correct you and say it's an alternate universe, not a prequel. It takes place concurrently to the Classic series, with Star Force in the same universe and taking place concurrently to the Zero series.

Interestingly enough, that means we skipped 21XX, so there is no X series equivalent for the BN universe

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Bring it on Capcom. I loved X series so much when I was a kid. My brother and I spent all the weekend just to find all armor pieces, good time :)

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Here we go!

This series need a reboot.

Going back to the original series felt like a step back, because X feels like the definite way forward moving from Mega Man.

It always felt like Mega Man - Mega Man X, and the rest of the series are just spin-offs.

Please Capcom don't fuck this up.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Here we go!

This series need a reboot.

Going back to the original series felt like a step back, because X feels like the definite way forward moving from Mega Man.

It always felt like Mega Man - Mega Man X, and the rest of the series are just spin-offs.

Please Capcom don't fuck this up.
Seeing Megaman port issue on PS4 and recently DMC HD collection, I will keep my expectation in check

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
this is stupid. X5 is clearly the end of the series. And the Zero saga basically continues it. My guess is they want to make another X game, but they are going to have to basically retcon everything that happens past X5 which i think would be better anyway

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Seeing Megaman port issue on PS4 and recently DMC HD collection, I will keep my expectation in check

Well you know. With Capcom's almost-feel-deliberate one-step forward and two-steps back, maybe this one will be the step forward.

Just kidding, I agree. But even still, I really want X to be a good game.

Maybe outsource the development to one of the distinguished 2d platformer developers out there. I've always been intrigued about the concept of a Metrodviania take on the X series.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah X was supposed to end with X5 but it didn't, and the last game, X8, ended in a pretty huge cliffhanger so of course we want more.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
this is stupid. X5 is clearly the end of the series. And the Zero saga basically continues it. My guess is they want to make another X game, but they are going to have to basically retcon everything that happens past X5 which i think would be better anyway
Eh, nothing in X6/7/8/Command Mission really matters to the overarching story told between series. Each game is more like a side story than anything else. Although X6 did throw some kinks into the original story plans for Zero (IIRC)

X9 covering the Elf Wars would be soooo good.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
People that are saying X goes to shit after 4 must have not played the games. X5 and X8 are solid, better than X3 easily.