• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
Damn they really should have thrown in the X remake on PSP for this too.
I really want a Mega Man Legacy Collection EX with:
Mega Man and bass
Mega Man Powered Up
Wily wars
Rockman Battle and chase
Mega Man X Street Fighter

and a Mega Man X Legacy Collection EX with:
Maverick Hunter X
Command Mission
Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I hope X9 only has X as the one playable character. Or at least cut Axl.
Why?
Multiple characters is a fun way to change things up. (I haven't played a game with Axl yet)

If anything, I hope X9 adds a playable woman to the cast, that the ZX games(and the Tron Bonne game?) are the only ones in the series to do this is unfortunate.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Why?
Multiple characters is a fun way to change things up. (I haven't played a game with Axl yet)

If anything, I hope X9 adds a playable woman to the cast, that the ZX games(and the Tron Bonne game?) are the only ones in the series to do this is unfortunate.

X8 had playable female operatives as well (Alia, Palette and Layer?) but those are basically just unlockable pallet swaps of the main 3 characters. Also, Mega Man Powered Up let you play as Roll (she got a proper story mode/dialogue and her weapon was unique - its a broom that basically acts as a Z Saber). But yeah, more playable female characters would be good, or at least a couple more female baddies like Splash Woman.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why?

I feel like the level design has gotten sloppier the more they've tried to add. Better to design it around one specific move set.

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked how X8 just gives you the ultimate armor for beating the game and you don't collect the pieces in the levels like the other games.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Axl in X8 is actually pretty fun though. Furthermore, Mega Man Model A from ZX Advent is a lot of fun. I think Axl has a pretty good moveset, once he escaped X7.

I don't think having more playable characters negatively hurts the level design, so long as each character has roughly the same basic movement capabilities. It is probably fair to remove Zero's double jump and Axl's hover in favor of giving every character the same aerial maneuverability.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why?

Axl's gimmick is he can transform into field enemies, which is kind of lame. He does have a machine gun pistol (???) that is kind of like how Bass played.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I never liked how X8 just gives you the ultimate armor for beating the game and you don't collect the pieces in the levels like the other games.
Why? If you beat for example X5 you get an armor too (they tell you the cheat code) and you still have to find armor upgrades in stages.
I'd prefer 6 playable characters just like in X8 but get rid of the tag team system instead. I just want to play Layer *_*

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a Mega Man X9 with Arc System Works' graphics style from DBZ and Guilty Gear, preferably with pixel back grounds.

Love me some parallax.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
X8 had playable female operatives as well (Alia, Palette and Layer?) but those are basically just unlockable pallet swaps of the main 3 characters. Also, Mega Man Powered Up let you play as Roll (she got a proper story mode/dialogue and her weapon was unique - its a broom that basically acts as a Z Saber). But yeah, more playable female characters would be good, or at least a couple more female baddies like Splash Woman.
Ah, interesting, I haven't played those yet.
I feel like the level design has gotten sloppier the more they've tried to add. Better to design it around one specific move set.
Hm...
I can see how that could be an issue.

I didn't think it hurt MM9 and 10, though the levels were mainly designed for Megaman while Protoman and Bass could sometimes get around things. I don't mind that approach honestly.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, interesting, I haven't played those yet.

Hm...
I can see how that could be an issue.

I didn't think it hurt MM9 and 10, though the levels were mainly designed for Megaman while Protoman and Bass could sometimes get around things. I don't mind that approach honestly.
When they're bonus characters it's fine. But I like the 'primary playthrough' to be very tightly designed.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
X4 was a lot of fun to play with both characters and imo it has the best level design in the serie.
Its just that the games became worse and worse till X8.

X4 level design was pretty good but do you really think it's better than X? I like X4 more overall but even I think the original has level design down.

Oct 25, 2017
Why? If you beat for example X5 you get an armor too (they tell you the cheat code) and you still have to find armor upgrades in stages.

Because in the other games, I could collect all the armor pieces and get the ultimate armor for the final level. In X8 it's only available for new game+.

I don't have a problem with a cheat that lets you start with it, but I liked that it was obtainable in the main game and you had to work for it. In X8 it just feels like a cheat rather than a power up..

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recon both MMZ and MMZX

Make x9 have nothing to do with these games because not only is X as a timeline is way too messed up, a new entry should work towards a new conclusion, not one we already know how it ends.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Recon both MMZ and MMZX

Make x9 have nothing to do with these games because not only is X as a timeline is way too messed up, a new entry should work towards a new conclusion, not one we already know how it ends.

Already kind of a thing. Command Mission gives a completely different depiction of the 23rd century than MMZero does.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already a thing. Command Mission gives a completely different depiction of the 23rd century than Zero does.

I was under the impression that CM was Non Canon. If X9 does bring back any of those characters and retroactively makes it canon I would be ecstatic.

X has the level design advantage over most other games in the series simply due to not wasting time on gimmick stages.

You say that but we have a ride chaser level in almost every game that straight up sucks. If they stop doing those (maybe make them a minigame if they must have them) then I'd agree.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You say that but we have a ride chaser level in almost every game that straight up sucks. If they stop doing those (maybe make them a minigame if they must have them) then I'd agree.
Sorry, I meant X1 having an advantage over the other X games. X1 basically only has the ride armor and that's both optional and pretty fun. Basically every other X game has throwaway levels, which is a big deal when each game doesn't have very many levels to begin with.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I really want a Mega Man Legacy Collection EX with:
Mega Man and bass
Mega Man Powered Up
Wily wars
Rockman Battle and chase
Mega Man X Street Fighter

and a Mega Man X Legacy Collection EX with:
Maverick Hunter X
Command Mission
Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2

Fuck, I forgot about Xtreme. That was the game that got me into Mega Man to begin with. We definitely need a portable MM Collection like we were supposed to get when the original Anniversary Collection came out.

There needs to be one or more miscellaneous collections of games that don't fit into a mainline series. Maybe after Zero/ZX?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant X1 having an advantage over the other X games. X1 basically only has the ride armor and that's both optional and pretty fun. Basically every other X game has throwaway levels, which is a big deal when each game doesn't have very many levels to begin with.

but X 1 is the only game without ride chaser :v

Oh I'm sorry, I completely misinterpreted your post!

I actually agree with you lol

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
What's the throwaway level in X2? There ain't one, friendo!

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
Fuck, I forgot about Xtreme. That was the game that got me into Mega Man to begin with. We definitely need a portable MM Collection like we were supposed to get when the original Anniversary Collection came out.

There needs to be one or more miscellaneous collections of games that don't fit into a mainline series. Maybe after Zero/ZX?
Remember Mega Man Mania? Frig I wish they hadn't lost the source code for that :( I love the gameboy Mega Man games so much. They were all pretty unique and freely ignored the canon as much as they felt like it. Kinda like Metal Gear Ghost Babel ( Which is my favorite MG game next to the AC!D series)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I was under the impression that CM was Non Canon. If X9 does bring back any of those characters and retroactively makes it canon I would be ecstatic.
For what it's worth, CM was always meant to be its own thing, and could be thought of as spinning off an individual timeline branch. The producer Tatsuya Kitabayashi likened it to an actual "sequel" to the X series, rather than a side-story, and Ryuji Higurashi (the known X series designer) knowingly crafted X's design for that game in order to largely echo his/Copy X's design in the Zero series.

At this point, I certainly would rather a X9 just continue where CM left off, at least from a "world building" point of view. If Capcom wants a means to keep the X series going in a direction that doesn't have to worry about the Elf Wars and trying in with the Zero series? That's one way to go about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Already kind of a thing. Command Mission gives a completely different depiction of the 23rd century than MMZero does.

Well, 22XX is a whole century long. I always just assumed that CM was early in the century, and the Zero series could still be like 80+ years later. Or if they're really in a bind, they can just retcon CM to be in 21XX. If I recall, the year is only mentioned like, once.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Well, 22XX is a whole century long. I always just assumed that CM was early in the century, and the Zero series could still be like 80+ years later. Or if they're really in a bind, they can just retcon CM to be in 21XX. If I recall, the year is only mentioned like, once.

No, can't happen, as far as I'm aware. Zero relies on one of X5's endings, while the other ending to X5 spun off to X6-Command Mission. In Zero, X doesn't see Zero for an entire century. In Command Mission, X, Zero and Axl have been friends for over a century. The Zero series acts as if X6-Command Mission didn't happen and vice versa. Those two series being in same timeline would be a giant contradiction. The only idea that they have in common is that Sigma seems to be dead for good in both realities.

Trelll might be correct as well, however.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Axl dies in the intro stage.

Zero as supporting badass again.

Zero mode unlockable after beating the game.

No, can't happen, as far as I'm aware. Zero relies on one of X5's endings, while the other ending to X5 spun off to X6-Command Mission. In Zero, X doesn't see Zero for an entire century. In Command Mission, X, Zero and Axl have been friends for over a century. The Zero series acts as if X6-Command Mission didn't happen and vice versa. The only idea that they have in common is that Sigma seems to be dead for good in both realities.
X6 and onward are still canon to Zero. Zero seals himself away in X6, which takes place after all the other X games, and is referenced in Zero. The development team changed the story of Zero because of X6's development.

Command Mission is nebulous in regards to canon, although the character designer did say he designed X in that game to be a sort of bridge to his Zero design.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we even discussing Axl being playable when he's hinted to be possessed and the new antagonist?... Or am I remembering the secret ending wrong?

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Axl dies in the intro stage.

Zero as supporting badass again.

Zero mode unlockable after beating the game.

X6 and onward are still canon to Zero. Zero seals himself away in X6, which takes place after all the other X games, and is referenced in Zero. The development team changed the story of Zero because of X6's development.

Where is it said or implied X6-X8 still happen in Zero?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
X9 is all I've wanted for so long. But it better be 16 bit. Also axl sucks make him the villian and be done with him.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Where is it said or implied X6-X8 still happen in Zero?
The Elf Wars backstory has Zero come out of his capsule to help again, which is a continuation of his X6 ending. They also reference an orbital elevator, which exists in X8 as the Jakob Orbital Elevator.

This is a subject that's been heavily debated for years, though. X7, X8, and CM have no bearing on any overarching plots and make no difference to the story whether they're canon or not, so you could argue it either way. I don't see anything saying otherwise, and I like to think things canon by default unless confirmed otherwise, and there are hints as mentioned above, so I'm in camp canon.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The Elf Wars backstory has Zero come out of his capsule to help again, which is a continuation of his X6 ending. They also reference an orbital elevator, which exists in X8 as the Jakob Orbital Elevator.

This is a subject that's been heavily debated for years, though. X7, X8, and CM have no bearing on any overarching plots and make no difference to the story whether they're canon or not, so you could argue it either way. I don't see anything saying otherwise, and I like to think things canon be default unless confirmed otherwise, and there are hints as mentioned above, so I'm in camp canon.

It gets tricky, because even though Neo Arcadia Tower was an Orbital Elevator, it was never confirmed that it and Jakob were meant to be the same thing. But at the very least, the original Zero Collection timeline (before it was removed) went with the idea that X6 was still canon to the MMZ -> ZX timeline and outlined its events. It's X7, X8 and CM that could more than likely form the basis of its own timeline that basically suggests the idea of "what if Zero didn't get put under and the story just continued unabated?".

At the least, it would put an interesting slant on why Metals/Force Metals became all the rage for awhile, and likely affected Reploid society and conflicts as such, but weren't even a thing worth mentioning in the Zero/ZX timeline.

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018

This is a subject that's been heavily debated for years, though. X7, X8, and CM have no bearing on any overarching plots and make no difference to the story whether they're canon or not, so you could argue it either way. I don't see anything saying otherwise, and I like to think things canon by default unless confirmed otherwise, and there are hints as mentioned above, so I'm in camp canon.
I have always had trouble deciding if I wanted to agree with post X6 being canon. I can dig the idea that Zero seals himself away an unspecified amount of time after X6 ends, but knowing that Inafune had written it to end at X6 makes me want to respect his legacy.

Of course, after wasting $80USD on Mighty #9 I am more apt to ignore his legacy and just accept the X series as it went according to Capcom.
Though it would be lovely to have Zero's link to Wily, or his link to MMZ addressed in some capacity in X9.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I want a Mega Man X9 with Arc System Works' graphics style from DBZ and Guilty Gear, preferably with pixel back grounds.

Love me some parallax.

THIS is dream come true, Hard Corp Uprising was so dope.

No one mess with my boy Axl please, my favourite character, he's actually unique and fun to play with.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh guys please don't hype me up more... is this a lead to X9 finally???
I wanted it for so long that I just gave up on it long ago.

Oct 25, 2017
No, can't happen, as far as I'm aware. Zero relies on one of X5's endings, while the other ending to X5 spun off to X6-Command Mission. In Zero, X doesn't see Zero for an entire century. In Command Mission, X, Zero and Axl have been friends for over a century. The Zero series acts as if X6-Command Mission didn't happen and vice versa. Those two series being in same timeline would be a giant contradiction. The only idea that they have in common is that Sigma seems to be dead for good in both realities.

Trelll might be correct as well, however.

I still don't see a major issue. One of X5's endings leads into Zero well, but really, we just need to have Zero going into stasis again after coming out in X6.

If X takes place in 2105, and CM is 2205, then Zero is 2290, that leaves plenty of time for Zero to go into stasis and for the Elf Wars to happen, with the only discrepancy being how long it's been since X has last seen Zero, which can really just be hand waved.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's not so incompatible that Capcom couldn't make it work with very minimal retconning.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Noticed the "Defeat Cut Man in X8" trophy. Originally, you could only do that if you had a Command Mission save.

Loving the amount of trophies. Wish the Classic Legacy Collection 2 had a "beat all games" achievement.

I mean normally I would have preferred that too and they did that for X8/Command Mission. (and Zero/ZX series) but I think for sake of throwback and its been so long, id love to see Sigma again for one last hurrah or this could finally the X title that ends the Maverick Wars.

The problem with that is that X8 was specifically meant to be the last game with Sigma. That's why there was a different final boss.

Last edited: