• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pad issue isn't that bad. I used 6 button for MK and SF mostly, and I don't want to play these versions ever again. SoR3 and Comix Zone were slightly better with it, you were essentially using shortcuts, but not unplayable with 3.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
if it means that no fighting games are taking up a slot that would be good

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I don't care. Doubt that Street Fighter 2 will be there, so the 6 button pad won't be needed.
Comix Zone does play better with 6 buttons, though.
All I need is region select on the games and I'm good with the EU Mini.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If they are already manufacturing 6 button controllers for Japan then there is zero reason why other versions should only have the 3 button.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
List of 6-button pad compatible titles:

Mega Drive
  • Aerobiz Supersonic
  • Art of Fighting
  • AWS Pro Moves Soccer
  • Ballz
  • Batman Forever
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure
  • Brutal: Paws of Fury
  • Chou Kyuukai Miracle Nine
  • Clay Fighter
  • Coack K College Basketball
  • College Football's National Championship
  • College Football's National Championship II
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Cutthroat Island
  • Davis Cup Tennis
  • Desert Demolition Starring Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote
  • Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls
  • Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Dyna Brothers 2
  • Eternal Champions
  • F1 World Championship Edition
  • Fatal Fury 2
  • Fever Pitch Soccer
  • FIFA Soccer 96
  • FIFA Soccer 97
  • FIFA Soccer 98: Road to the World Cup
  • Garfield: Caught in the Act
  • Gouketsuji Ichizoku (Primal Instinct)
  • Greatest Heavyweights
  • International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
  • Jammit
  • Judge Dreadd
  • Justice League Task Force
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • Lemmings 2: The Tribes
  • Lord Monarch: Tokoton Sentou Densetsu
  • Marsupilami
  • Mega Turrican
  • Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits
  • MiG-29 Fighter Pilot
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • NBA Action '94
  • NBA Action '95 Starring David Robinson
  • NBA Live 96
  • NCAA Final Four Basketball
  • NFL '95
  • Nightmare Circus
  • Phantom 2040
  • Pier Solar and the Great Architects
  • Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
  • Primal Rage
  • Ranger-X
  • Rise of the Robots
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Saturday Night Slam Masters
  • Shaq Fu
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Skeleton Krew
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety
  • Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
  • Streer Racer
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Sub-Terrania
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • TechnoClash
  • The Death and Return of Superman
  • The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie
  • The Lion King
  • The Lost Vikings
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • True Lies
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Urban Strike
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Virtua Racing
  • VR Troopers
  • WeaponLord
  • World Heroes
  • World Series Baseball '95
  • World Series Baseball '96
  • WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
  • WWF Raw
  • WWF Royal Rumble
  • Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Mega CD
  • B.C. Racers
  • Battlecorps
  • Brutal: Paws of Fury
  • Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side
  • Fatal Fury Special
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Soul Star
  • Wing Commander
  • WWF Rage in the Cage
32X
  • B.C. Racers
  • Darxide
  • Doom
  • Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples
  • Metal Head
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Primal Rage
  • Sangokushi IV
  • Shadow Squadron
  • Spider-Man: Web of Fire
  • Star Wars Arcade
  • Stellar Assault
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtua Racing Deluxe
  • WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
There might be more too, I couldn't find a comprehensive list.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know it's not a popular opinion to have, but I prefer the three-button controller for most Genesis games. I even prefer it for the Mortal Kombat games, aside from the fact that you can't seem to perform Kung Lao's second fatality in Mortal Kombat II with the three-button controller.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Some MD games have issues with the 6 button pad btw. Altered Beast one actually, maybe the regional lineup change is the readon for using the 3 button pad in the west?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Out of curiosity, how many games does having a three button controller effect? I know fighting games will be worse off for it but I can't remember too many games that used that many buttons.

I was curious about that myself, here's the list according to segaretro.org:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Some MD games have issues with the 6 button pad btw. Altered Beast one actually, maybe the regional lineup change is the readon for using the 3 button pad in the west?
That's a possibility, though I'm sure M2 could just force three-button mode in software or something to get around that. That said, I prefer the three-button controller, anyway.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand being disappointed in getting just the 3-button controller but I don't get why some people consider it a deal breaker. They're not going to include anything that plays like shit with a 3-button, like Street Fighter II. And even though the original 6-button had a better d-pad than the 3-button, there's no reason for that to automatically be the case with the minis. It's unlikely the controllers will feel exactly like the originals.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
What an unfortunate thing to wake up to this morning. The 6-button D-pads were the direct precursor to the Saturn pads, they were perfect and the less-bulky form factor of the controller was a plus too.

This is probably so they don't encroach on Retro-Bit's reproduction MD controller business in those markets. Their original-plug 6-buttons will be compatible with the units in those regions, and R-B isn't manufacturing 3-buttons, so Sega isn't making their products redundant, rather giving them an opportunity to sell more, so they probably saw it as a win-win. Retro-Bit isn't selling their reproductions in Japan, so their own USB controllers probably made more sense to include there.

Of course, the most consumer-friendly solution would have been to include two of the Retro-Bit 6-buttons in the box, but maybe that's asking too much of Sega.
My hope is that the 8 button wired USB controllers that Retrobit recently released will be compatible with the Mini because they are officially licensed through Sega, but perhaps that's asking too much.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
List of 6-button pad compatible titles:

Mega Drive
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Comix Zone
  • Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Virtua Fighter 2
Nudged it down to confirmed games while some (if not all) of the rest have a high chance of making it in based on past Genesis collections / mini-systems. VF2 SO better not be there but since they're forcing Altered Beast down our throats again I feel like they want us to suffer... ~_~

I had a 3 and 6 button controller back in the day and the 6 button one overall was a straight upgrade even if most games didn't make use of the extra buttons, the dpad and buttons just felt much better. The placement of the Start button was also muuuuuch better. Plus all this talk of M2 magic and bonus features and whatnot, who's to say they aren't implimenting some neat use of the X/Y/Z buttons in the games on the collection that don't use 'em?

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wait, is it 6 buttons in North America??

I need that UMK3 and SSF2 fix, so this better have 6 buttons in NA.

Weird to have multiple source of manufacturing with completely different controller and parts. 3 button controller is only great for collectors who want both. I don't see any other use for it.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me, after growing up playing many games with the 6 buttons controllers: mortal kombat 2, comix zone, street fighter 2, eternal champions...

I'm going to wait and see if there is the option to buy them separately or something.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just about the number of buttons, it's the quality of the d-pad as well. The 3-button one is shit compared to the one on the 6-button pad.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
As a SEGA kid this is really a non issue for me. I never had the 6-button controller growing up. It isn't the standard controller that came with the system so no game could expect you to have it.

All I want from SEGA is emulation on par with Nintendo's mini consoles. I know they can do it, the AGES versions of their games are great. Please put the effort in this time.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
As a SEGA kid this is really a non issue for me. I never had the 6-button controller growing up. It isn't the standard controller that came with the system so no game could expect you to have it.

All I want from SEGA is emulation on par with Nintendo's mini consoles. I know they can do it, the AGES versions of their games are great. Please put the effort in this time.

You and me both.

But I'll probably hold off until someone like Dark1x reviews it

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If this uses the Mega Drive 2 three button pad design for the d-pad then this is a load of fuss over nothing: it's a great controller with a fantastic d-pad that rocks back and forth almost as well as the 6 button controller's.

If it's the three button controller from the first 4 years of the system's life then okay, that sucks.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017

Pretty much sums my position up. This is a nostalgia toy first and foremost - most will remember the 3 button pad. M2's involvement guarantees the quality of emulation.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to complete fuck this up by putting 50htz versions of the games on there?
Because that would be the nail in the coffin.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that's quite a kick. It either means that none of the games included use a 6-button controller (maybe regionalised library) or else some of the games are going to have awkward messy control systems. Imagine they included Street Fighter with this, to get that retro Mega Drive feeling of having to strategically swap between punches and kicks because the controller doesn't have enough buttons to play the game properly.

Also what's with the website saying 40 games but the balloon on the banner saying "over 40"? Maybe it includes some kind of compilation or maybe it has S3&K with lock-on features and someone isn't quite sure how to count that, but whatever the reason, it looks unprofessional.

Probably - it'd be the simplest way to do it and it's probably full compatibility across the board (so old Mega Drive stuff will likely work on this, as will other controllers with the same pinout). Although as jts says the connector size is either changed on the Mini or they're just using a picture of a regular Mega Drive, so...what they're doing here is unclear.

Comix Zone use the 6 button pad and I'm pretty sure Gunstar Heroes make use of the extra buttons too.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, these are the iconic MD pads. This is a stocking filler item aimed to sell based on nostalgia. Everything about will have been chosen to trigger nostalgia in people and those pads are what remind the majority of people of the Mega Drive. I would've made the same decision.
Yep.

Seems a lot of kids these days associate a very late optional accessory which was only needed for a couple of games as the 'default' for the console. Reality at the time was we'd spent five years playing with the chunky boomerang and the generation was almost done when the six button pad came out.
I mean I spent most of my time with the PlayStation One without DualShock controllers and I still would've preferred that than the iconic controller without sticks on the PS Classic.

It's not a cheaper decision either, since they're now making different controllers separate from Japan. Like you already have a six button controller in the works and you're likely putting an option to toggle between regional differences anyways, why not just make one single SKU type controller wise.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If it can be modded with retroarch etc. Id be down for jt tbh. Call me an old foggy but i really like the 3 button controller and wouldnt mind owning this as a collector's thi g

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
You and me both.

But I'll probably hold off until someone like Dark1x reviews it
You guys don't need to worry about the quality of the Mini. It's being developed by M2, so I can 100% guarantee that the emulation will be perfect.
If you want to check the quality of their ports, all you have to do is play any of the existing Sega Ages ports on 3DS and Switch.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
At a minimum, 8bitdo will have a Bluetooth adapter that will let you use the Bluetooth M30, Krikzz's wireless 6-button controller and Retrobit's Bluetooth controller when it releases.

I still think that they should have gone with the 6 button one though.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's.... weird.
I grew up with the PAL Mega Drive II and I had 2 six button pads. Maybe there was a 3 button pad lying around, it was useless for fighting games so nobody used it, don't remember if it came with the system or not.

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is whether or not different regional variants of these games will be offered like in the Japanese version

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I remember the edges being a bit 'sharp' on my 3 button's d-pad, back then I probably didn't care that much but I do remember thinking the 6 button one was much nicer just to hold in general (regardless of if the game needed 6 or not).

In the end, to me its baffling as to why Sega are releasing different ones in different countries, like, surely its more cost efficient to just manufacture 1 controller for everywhere? :\

Bad business decisions, they're really hitting that Sega nostalgia note I guess. :P

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I'd prefer six button pads just 'cos, but I'm struggling to think of a game I'd actually want to play on this thing that'd make use of them.

Edit: Actually, I grew up with the 3-button, so I really don't mind. It would still be better for functionality if it had six.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean I spent most of my time with the PlayStation One without DualShock controllers and I still would've preferred that than the iconic controller without sticks on the PS Classic.

It's not a cheaper decision either, since they're now making different controllers separate from Japan. Like you already have a six button controller in the works and you're likely putting an option to toggle between regional differences anyways, why not just make one single SKU type controller wise.
Theory: The Japanese version will have 6-button games and the US version won't.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Comix Zone
  • Eternal Champions
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Virtua Racing
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Out of that entire list these are probably the only ones people would really want that also have any slim chance of returning - and for a number of them the extra buttons are used for minor things like individual view change buttons. I'd bet on Comix Zone being the only game from that selection to be on this, Shinobi 3 wouldn't be picked over Revenge, SoR3 wouldn't be picked over SoR2, Virtua Racing would conflict with the Ages release and the rest rely on licensing.

Pretty disappointing for people looking for fighting games, but otherwise the missing buttons probably wouldn't even be usable with the western game lineup - and it is worth noting that the 6 button controller has compatibility issues with some 3 button games (such as Golden Axe II, Decap Attack and Forgotten Worlds) that may well be included.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The connector to system size ratio doesn't seem particularly enlarged. Makes me wonder if they made a smaller version of that connector or are just using a picture of a regular Mega Drive?
It's a picture of a regular MD. The website has a pic of the real MD mini and these are definitely USB ports:
9o4Dnji.png

http://megadrivemini.sega.com/

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I can understand why Sega is doing this, I just hope they add support for the 6-button retro bit usb controller. Otherwise I will probably import from Japan.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
3 button was stock, and most games were designed for a 3 button control scheme

The original PlayStation controller without analog sticks was stock, that didn't make it any less dumb when Sony used that version for the PlayStation Classic. Most games could function without them, but there were titles that seriously benefited from them.

More importantly, in Sony's case they may not have done the R&D work to make the new version of the controller with analog sticks. Here, we know the 6-button version exists, we're just not getting it apparently.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I remember the edges being a bit 'sharp' on my 3 button's d-pad, back then I probably didn't care that much but I do remember thinking the 6 button one was much nicer just to hold in general (regardless of if the game needed 6 or not).
That's another good point. In addition to the better dpad, buttons, and start button placement, 6 button one is more rounded an comfortable ta hold!

It's 3 button for North America. WTF Sega?

51dko%2BKb6bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What a fail.
Mega fail. Look Segac West: theres a picture of a Genesis and classic Sonic on the box. THATS ALL YOU NEED TO FUEL NOSTALGIA. You should otherwise be presenting your system at its very best!