• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia

If folks haven't been paying attention in a former topic or in the MMXLC topic, this collection of the MMX titles has considerable input lag, and this video from Button2Pixel finally covers it across all original and modern platforms. The results? Here you go!

mmxlclag.PNG

xlc.PNG

While still signficantly horrible compared to the originals or the SNES Classic, looks like the XB1 even the original not the X, features the best version of the MMXLC. More breakdowns in the video itself, from MMX4 to MMX7/X8!

edit: Just found out he made 2nd video prior to his initial one that brokedown the PS4 version. Here's some more fun numbers! :gag:

percentxlc.PNG

xlcframes.PNG

This second chart is organized in a manner so you can tell how many frames. If folks have seen his first video, or my rants around here, thats 8 frames of lag! (each vertical bar is 1 frame)

Last edited:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I found X1 really hard to play on X1X, and everything else less so. Weird that X1 is the huge outlier.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it is what is. Especially noticeable as i just finished MM7 on PS4 and its wonderfully responsive

Like Legacy Collection 1 tho, its something you can adjust to as long as your just a bit more deliberate with your input presses.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I've beaten MMX1 since it's damn easy, but I'm holding out for a patch before I tackle the harder games.

I really hope Capcom works that shit out soon. They need all the positive credit they can get before Mega Man 11 hits.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Has anyone covered the Switch Classic LC1? Can't find one anywhere and that one feels worse.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was not expecting joycons to be slower than pro controller in portable mode. Weird.

Sucks that I expect Capcom to do jack shit about this. Some crazy ass numbers compared to the SNES classic.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Should compare with Retroarch with appropriately set time warp for the real name & shame.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This is embarassing, way to ruin what could've been an amazing collection

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Thanks for this, was a really interesting (and bizarre) watch. I'd love if Capcom fixed it, but yeah... Also glad I dodged the PS version and just bought Switch because yowza.

Also it's a shame the 8bitdo adapter has the worst performance overall, it's my preferred way to play. I guess it stacks the Switch's slow USB polling rate with some minor wireless delay? So if Nintendo fixed Switch's USB controller mode it'd drop down to roughly the same input lag as joy cons?

Oct 25, 2017
I played this on switch and i thought wow i fucking suck these days. But then played it later on my crt+Snes OG and i breezed through it. Makes a huge difference.

The others are even worse. Wow.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
I hope they fix it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Legacy Collection 2 runs pretty badly on 3DS (when the first one ran perfectly fine) and both run worse on Switch than the 3DS version. Neither of the games have gotten patched. Don't hold your breath waiting for one from Capcom. They have abysmal post launch support for all of their remasters and ports.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, good to have some numbers. Everyone was saying switch had the worst input lag. It seems ps4 is the worst version by these numbers and x1x the best.

OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Interesting to note is that the emulation gods themselves M2 handled X1 on Wii U/3DS, and even that wasn't quite perfect. But then looking at the SNES classic, and it's kind of testament to how spectacular Canoe is in terms of emulation.

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Legacy Collection 2 runs pretty badly on 3DS (when the first one ran perfectly fine) and both run worse on Switch than the 3DS version. Neither of the games have gotten patched. Don't hold your breath waiting for one from Capcom. They have abysmal post launch support for all of their remasters and ports.
LC2 is on the 3DS?

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, when I read the thread title I thought it was covered, as in Capcom's got the situation covered.

But I played X1 on wii U and the input lag severely hampered my enjoyment (although I could still beat it). Playing the legacy collection would drive me nuts.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Holy shit this video. Amazing! Subbing to that channel.

I still haven't opened my Switch imports because I was thinking about returning them and ordering a PS4 copy instead. I'm really glad I didn't do that. I think I'll play some laggy X1 right now, lol.

OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah I've kind of played with the idea of just sucking it up and getting it on PS4 thinking it was same across. Glad I didn't. I might grab steam ver again at some point, I don't know . I want to love/embrace these collections, but good lord the input lag.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wish DigitalFoundry would do these tests in their face-offs. It's certainly interesting and I'd love to understand the reasons behind the differences.

Also, not able to watch the video right now but I assume these were all tested on the same external display so therefore the Switch in docked mode. I'd imagine therefore that the Switch would have lower lag undocked when using its own screen?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A very usefel set of videos and thread. Looks like I'll have to pass on these collections for now.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Don't wait for a fix, they're not patching anything. They don't even bother fixing the steam version even though tons of people get refunds because the game either runs like crap or doesn't start at all.

Capcom has no quality standards whatsoever, they want just a quick way to grab your money.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to note is that the emulation gods themselves M2 handled X1 on Wii U/3DS, and even that wasn't quite perfect. But then looking at the SNES classic, and it's kind of testament to how spectacular Canoe is in terms of emulation.

Emulation gods M2 worked on this very collection--they're the ones responsible for X Challenge.

Capcom could have hired them to do the whole thing but didn't, everything else was handled in-house (actually in-house, not like MMLC2 which they said was in-house but was actually outsourced).

OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Emulation gods M2 worked on this very collection--they're the ones responsible for X Challenge.

Capcom could have hired them to do the whole thing but didn't, everything else was handled in-house (actually in-house, not like MMLC2 which they said was in-house but was actually outsourced).
Right which makes it really odd why even the X Challenge on PS4 is garbage.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Right which makes it really odd why even the X Challenge on PS4 is garbage.

The common denominator here is, of course, Capcom. M2, Digital Eclipse, Iron Galaxy, they've hired plenty of developers to work on these old games, all of whom are more than capable, but there's always some issue on the Capcom side that forces them to rush their work or keeps them from fixing things.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Excellent video, this has become one of my favourite channels recently. I always appreciate technical coverage on these re-releases. This has got me cursing Capcom's poor post-launch release of their collections...

And err wow, guess I'm turning off the Switch's wired USB mode D:

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what the hell. How does this keep happening? Are they emulating an emulator or some shit?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Would it make a difference if Capcom included a lag-sync program, ala Guitar Hero/Rock Band?
I would imagine a small quick rhythmic program at the start of the game to sync you up would solve a few issues, wouldn't it?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Would it have been too much to ask them to rebuild the game instead of run an emulator?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least I'm glad to see the Switch is in the 'less bad' of the MMXLC ports.

Dark1x seemed to imply it was the worst and I have my two imports still coming in the mail, so yeah, I was upset.

I still am though, these results are terrible still, I hope I'll be able to adapt.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
X1 has definitely been the worst for me on Switch. Atrocious lag, and I'm usually lenient on this matter. It's quite literally a different game.

I've been playing X2 with the 8BitDo SN30 and it's not bad at all, in comparison.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Did they? I thought M2 only did the GBA VC on Wii U and the Game Gear VC on 3DS.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I wonder when (if ever) we'll get something similar to Retroarch's Runaheadtech in official re-releases. It has really spoiled me on responsiveness in 8-16 bit games

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would these games have input latency problems.

I'm sure they must all be easily emulatable at this point.