• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This short has been making rounds on horror centric websites like bloodydisgusting

It looks real good, but I have another why I'm posting. Here's a brief history on the Trifolium project:

About two years back or so, briefly after the release of 10 Cloverfield Lane, fans decided to come together for the effort of producing a fan film for Cloverfield. I frequented the subreddit for Cloverfield because I had fun with the ARG element of the film's marketing. I proposed a monster design for the fan film which garnered a lot of positive feedback. Back then I had the handle "Indiendnd"
1DobBc5_d.jpg

I was soon asked by the community to be the art director for the film, which I accepted.
They decided that the film's story was going to revolve around this storm monster design, and that it should have an actual monster design behind the clouds.
I designed this:
I1fsttQ_d.jpg

We called him "Liam" (as a pun on Trifolium.)
The main details were that it was a flying kaiju the size of an island hovering above the land, and that it's shrouded in clouds of gas that it produces itself.

The team was ecstatic about the design, and decided to move forward with writing the stories to fit this design in.

Except, unfortunately, the project never picked up any traction and I quietly left production after learning that one of our "Producers" was a 12 year old.

Cut to today, and "Megan" pops up on Bloody Disgusting. And I see this:
VzFrwD1.jpg

Huh.

So I guess the project actually did pick up. I just went uncredited for the monster design.

Update: Their response
sDTFJ6Z.jpg

Last edited:

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Steal something of theirs, put in on a billboard, and arrange a PR stunt involving saving a billboard worker to get your name out.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
That sucks OP. The design (and actual CGI too) is great.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
that's an incredibly shitty situation OP, the monster design looks great. unfortunately this is one of the risks of collaborating on a creative project with randos online

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Amateur filmmakers, but they're already acting like major Hollywood assholes. These people are going to go far.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
That's pretty shitty. You got any copyright or legal stuff on that art?

Not a lawyer but unless OP signed something the monster should "belong" to OP.

But if they changed enough of the design then it gets muddy.

Pretty shitty action from the team, especially with this being a fan film you'd think they give credit to who it belongs.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'll watch the clip later, but man, sorry to hear about the design and you not getting credit for it

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear they used your design without giving credit. But...

I want to see that movie now.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
So is this the original film you worked on initially? Or is this an entirely different project with (presumably) just a couple of the same people?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I would have found out a twelve year old was one of the many in charge of something like this, I would have left too, OP. You did the right thing. The fact they aren't responding makes them sound like a league of twelve year olds :|

Oct 27, 2017
Well this certainly didn't go as I expected it to, I thought you would just be drawing attention to the fan film but to hear that they essentially stole your work is incredibly disappointing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this the original film you worked on initially? Or is this an entirely different project with (presumably) just a couple of the same people?
That's the thing, I've been so put of the loop I have no idea. But the monster in the film and what I designed are too similar to be coincidence.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks.

As for the short, impressive production values. That's about it, the rest of it was terrible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I would have found out a twelve year old was one of the many in charge of something like this, I would have left too, OP. You did the right thing. The fact they aren't responding makes them sound like a league of twelve year olds :|
I had some serious red flag warnings going off at that revelation, but seeing that it actually got made makes me curious as to story of what happened during that production

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a lawyer but unless OP signed something the monster should "belong" to OP.

But if they changed enough of the design then it gets muddy.

Pretty shitty action from the team, especially with this being a fan film you'd think they give credit to who it belongs.
They probably think that because I left the project early that they don't need to credit me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been debating this but do you guys think I should post the OP in the Cloverfield subreddit to see what kind of reaction I get?

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Unless you explicitly assigned your copyright to someone else (or company) for this project, you retain it. How that translates to ownership of material derived from that work is for legal counsel to hash out. If I was in your place I'd expect at least a special thanks credit.

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Thanks.

I've tried to get in contact with the makers of the film to resolve this, but they've just ignored me.

Resolve what, exactly? Unless you had a contract or the design was a copyrighted property of yours, there really isn't anything to resolve. Although you left the project for what were probably good reasons at the time, the lack of traction and the principals involved, it no longer became a creative concern of yours once you severed your relationship with the creators. Reflect on it as a lesson learned and appreciate the contribution you made to what will probably never be more than a cool fan made project you can show your friends during the occasional gathering.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resolve what, exactly? Unless you had a contract or the design was a copyrighted property of yours, there really isn't anything to resolve. Although you left the project for what were probably good reasons at the time, the lack of traction and the principals involved, it no longer became a creative concern of yours once you severed your relationship with the creators. Reflect on it as a lesson learned and appreciate the contribution you made to what will probably never be more than a cool fan made project you can show your friends during the occasional gathering.

So...for exposure

Except I didn't even get that, I went uncredited.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's a cool design. Did you plan for the tendrils to move? A cloud of grasping appendages is creepy as hell and does a lot for me.

I hope you get the credit you deserve. The monster is really the one thing about the short that intrigues me.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Article posted, OP. I don't think I can share it here as Resetera has rules about self advertising, but feel free to spread it around yourself.

My sincerest best wishes to you and your former team. Hope it's all just a misunderstanding.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I know that finding out that one of the producers is 12 years old is not something to get happy about, but why are people dismissing the kid, maybe you guys could have steered him to a good project and maybe get some good publicity out of that.

Anyway, i hope you get some credit for the creature design OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool design. Did you plan for the tendrils to move? A cloud of grasping appendages is creepy as hell and does a lot for me.

I hope you get the credit you deserve. The monster is really the one thing about the short that intrigues me.
Yeah, the tendrils were supposed to move individually

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted about it on the subreddit, ironically enough the writer and producer on the film is interacting with reddit members right now on the subreddit.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that was... something. that slusho cup, lol

sorry you got your work bitten OP

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
... I have no words OP, I've been plagiarized myself (someone took one of my poems and submitted it to a campus literary journal) and that feeling always sucks, when you know your art is recognized but you, the artist, is not and someone else is taking the credit. Not to mention its doubly hard to prove in cases like this it was your work.

Heck it must feel even worse because it looks like your (awesome) concept actually materialized. I hope you can get some form of justice on this! Definitely go the Reddit route, that's bound to pick up some traction.

Also, a 12 year old, LOL

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... I have no words OP, I've been plagiarized myself (someone took one of my poems and submitted it to a campus literary journal) and that feeling always sucks, when you know your art is recognized but you, the artist, is not and someone else is taking the credit. Not to mention its doubly hard to prove in cases like this it was your work.

Heck it must feel even worse because it looks like your (awesome) concept actually materialized. I hope you can get some form of justice on this! Definitely go the Reddit route, that's bound to pick up some traction.

Also, a 12 year old, LOL
All I really want is to be credited somewhere, even if in the YouTube description, which shouldn't be hard to fix. But the way it's looking it seems they rather pretend there's no issue at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update: there was a response regarding the issue from the writer and producer
sDTFJ6Z.jpg

This feels like they're trying to dodge the issue outright

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're saying it's not the same design despite any reasoning I give. I'm done.

I'll just use this as a reason to never involve myself in fan projects from here on out