• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
And here's our third Megan Fox thread because both are fucking great and this is even more mind-boggling amazing to me:

The first episode of Legends, airing Dec. 4, finds Fox traveling to Scandinavia and England to learn more about emerging theories that there were female warriors who helped the Vikings rise to power, feared from 790 A.D. until the Norman Conquest in 1066. In subsequent episodes, she visits Stonehenge to find out why the monument was built and get the truth about the stones' reported supernatural powers; seeks answers about new finds along the Savannah River in the Southeastern U.S. that some say indicate there was a migration of gigantic prehistoric versions of Homo sapiens more than 13,000 years ago; and tries to determine whether the Trojan War actually happened, using Homer's Iliad as a treasure map, along with high-tech data and discoveries in modern-day Turkey.

Below, Fox tells EW about her burning desire to explore, her personal experience visiting some of these locations, and the skepticism she faced when pitching the show to networks.

legendsofthelostwithmeganfox_02.jpg

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Aside from posting some photos on Instagram from when you were filming this series, I think many people will be surprised to learn that all these topics you explore are things you are genuinely interested in. Was that also a surprise to network executives when you started pitching the show? How did they react?
MEGAN FOX:
Yeah, I mean, there was a general [laughs] sense of disbelief that this is something I'm genuinely passionate about. And then, depending on which topic and which thing we're discussing, I can be quite knowledgeable on archaeology and antiquities, and I think that was also really surprising for people. And I think it was also something that was maybe a deterrent in pitching the show because everyone has the same question, which is, "Is an audience going to believe that you know all of this stuff?" [Laughs] They needed a formula and a format where it would be easily digestible by an audience member, so the way we ended up doing these four episodes is that I serve more as the avatar for an audience, where I'm asking the same questions someone at home might be asking if they were there, and that seems to work for what it is right now.

This really seems like one of your dream jobs.
Yeah. I've loved these subjects for a really long time, and I've been passionate about it for a long time, and to be able to create and executive-produce the show, which it's my first time doing that as well, to be able to have the experience and traveling the world, but also building the relationships with some of these very important, key people who are involved in this industry that I want to have more to do with, was really exciting for me. In my future, when I look far into the future, this is a world that I want to be a part of, and so to be able to build friendships with these people is very beneficial, and I'm really grateful. I didn't go and get a traditional education in archaeology or paleontology. [Laughs] So to be able to speak to some of these people and learn from them and have a relationship with them was really amazing.

Where did that passion come from? When did it start?
One of the only school subjects I was ever interested in was Greek mythology, and from there… I wasn't a good student. I didn't even really graduate high school; I went to correspondence school and got a degree, but I didn't stay in school. I always had that interest — anything that involved mythology or antiquities or religious mystery, anything like that I was always really drawn to and interested in. And then I started watching this show called Ancient Aliens when I was in my early 20s and… there are so many good questions there that that show actually put forward, regardless of whether you're an ancient alien theorist or not, and that opened my mind just to the point where I was going, "If I'm going to create a project for myself, why don't I create a project in this vein?" Because this is what I love, this is what I'm interested in. So instead of working on producing a movie for me to act in, I'd rather do this.

And then I had a bunch of kids [laughs], and then I woke up one day and I was like — it actually started with a passion for a different sort of quest that we didn't do in these four episodes — but I decided this is something that I needed to do and this is an area of my life that I needed to explore. And I started pitching the show!

Much more at the link: https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/27/megan-fox-legends-of-the-lost/

Gah I love this woman.

And by the way, I don't care she isn't English, GIVE ME MEGAN FOX'S TOMB RAIDER, WB.

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pass on whitewashing Chloe into Megan Fox but I recently read a retrospective piece on Jennifer's Body and honestly I'm so mad at the disrespect and misogyny and just general hatred Megan Fox has been targeted with for no other reason than she's a conventionally attractive woman who starred in some shitty Michael Bay movies.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
You write this really progressive OP about how Fox should respected for going against the grain and.... then slip in a beg for her to take the role of an Indian woman in a Hollywood movie.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a general and very unfortunate belief in society and it's that "hot" women don't tend to have anything interesting offer outside of their physical appearance. And that's not something pushed just by men, but also women. So it's not surprising at all that she was met with disbelief and questions of whether viewers would buy in. Especially in her case where there's a history of peeps treating her like a vacuous slut essentially.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Sounds kinda conspiracy-filled and pseudo-archaeological to me. It's basically on the level of Ancient Aliens, American Unearthed, or Graham Hancock's work.

Also, considering how deeply embedded racism is in fringe history and archaeology...yikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You write this really progressive OP about how Fox should respected for going against the grain and.... then slip in a beg for her to take the role of an Indian woman in a Hollywood movie.
I honestly don't really know what to make of this. I mean, yes, Chloe is Indian-Australian and I just found out about that, I haven't played Lost Legacy yet because I have yet to play Uncharted 4, so while I have it, it's on my backlog, I thought of her based purely on what I know of the character from Uncharted's trilogy.

And while I could see how this could be problematic given the context of the character in Lost Legacy, which is basically now somewhat of a spoiler to me that I only have myself to blame for, I still think it's debatable if she couldn't play the character. I mean, yes, representation matters, but sometimes roles like this to women are hard to come by, and given Megan's interest in the archeology, I do think that having her to represent Chloe - or Lara, for that matter - could be a good thing.

I'm not here to be "all really progressive", I think that Fox playing Chloe could be empowering to women all across the globe. That's what I think, imho. I mean, representation matters, but sometimes people are just too much of pitch perfect for a role. I honestly think this might be one of these cases.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
So Sara Head, who is the co-host of the awesome Archy Fantasy podcast reviewed an episode of the show... It's problematic to the say the least.

https://archyfantasies.com/2018/12/...king-women-warriors-legends-of-the-lost-ep-2/

IDK fam, all of this seems more of the same ol' slut shaming that Megan Fox is probably quite use to at this point, found this on twitter, retweeted by this "ArchyFantasies" person:

And then there are these bits from the "review" which you posted, that sort of reeks of virtue signaling and frankly, jealousy, bending backwards to make Fox look bad, imho:

It is true that the Birka Warrior's sex has been a topic of discussion for some time now, and being now genetically confirmed, has caused a stir academically. I mean yeah, there are a lot of people who seem to not be able to wrap their heads around the idea that one of the coolest Viking burials ever uncovered was for a woman. And yes, there have been a lot of laughable excuses offered up to explain why a woman would be buried with objects that were so clearly male. Yes, this is blatant sexism and yes it is occurring at the academic level. But this is not the simple "She's a Woman" conversation Fox breaks it down as.

We know two facts about the Birka Warrior:

1. This is a Viking warrior grave, saying it's anything else is frankly delusional. and
  2. The Birka Warrior is biologically female.
That's it. Those are the facts.

"But the paper says she's a woman!"

NO!

The paper said it was a biologically female person in the grave. We have no idea how that person was perceived or gendered by their society at the time, other than they were clearly revered as evidenced by their lavish grave. So, send me your hate, but thems the facts and that's all I'm willing to say about it at this point.

This is where the weird not-sexist-sexism really begins to get noticeable. Fox goads Moen into making jokes about killing their husbands because they made at them. Because threats of violence against our spouses is funny! Haha…

This need to prove that women can be just as violent as men is weird. I mean it's like the whole point of the show and it's just fucking weird ok. Yeah, women can do just about any violent, cruel, mean thing a man can, but why is that so important to Fox and the show?

Carlsson tells Fox a little about the site and brings out a box of grave goods for her to look at. (props to Carlsson for not parading human remains on TV.) First, he hands her a lovely gold and silver box broach recovered from the woman's grave, and Fox looks like he'd just handed her a dead cat. He tries to explain to her how this is a symbol of wealth and status and Fox looks like she couldn't care less.

Then he hands her a piece of crystal and she gets this childlike awe about "it looks like magic!" It's the first time we've seen her really show excitement, and it's all about 'magic'.
Carlsson then tries to explain that there is a lot of evidence for trade in the graves he's excavating, and he shows her a metal weight for merchant scales that was recovered in the woman's grave. Fox's mind is apparently blown. She reminds us that in her version of the past, Viking women were supposed to be home minding their families not off doing stuff, like making money.

Fox tries to stick it to Carlsson by telling him all he does is really just guesswork anyway so why can't there be women warriors? Carlsson tries to politely explain that some people have preconceived notions about the past and that clouds the way they view things…

I mean, what the hell is this that I'm reading? Am I the only one seeing how this seems off the mark?

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Not the same person. There's more than one archeologist named Sara.

https://twitter.com/ArchyFantasies

No, she IS the same person. ArchyFantasies were the one that posted the blog post you linked here. Also, she retweeted that gross thread of tweets I've posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/ArchyFantasies/with_replies

I get that she wants archeology treated seriously, but the way she and her peers are attacking Fox seems WAY off the mark to me. It's an archeology show with a celebrity that has a personal interest on the subject. Good grief, that review seems like was written by a teenager mad that the popular kid got to do something she'd like to do. Maybe pitch your "serious" archeology show then?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
No, she IS the same person. ArchyFantasies were the one that posted the blog post you linked here. Also, she retweeted that gross thread of tweets I've posted earlier:

https://twitter.com/ArchyFantasies/with_replies

I get that she wants archeology treated seriously, but the way she and her peers are attacking Fox seems WAY off the mark to me. It's an archeology show with a celebrity that has a personal interest on the subject. Good grief, that review seems like was written by a teenager mad that the popular kid got to do something she'd like to do. Maybe pitch your "serious" archeology show then?

Ah, my mistake, I didn't know she retweeted it. Yeah, that's kinda messed up.

However, it's as much as an "archaeology show" as Ancient Aliens is. That's the issue. Fox is playing with the same "secrets unearthed! hidden history! real archaeologists are just close minded" tropes that permeates conspiracy culture.

Also, pseudo-archaeology has a long history of racism and ties to the far right. It's definitely something to be wary of.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
IDK fam, all of this seems more of the same ol' slut shaming that Megan Fox is probably quite use to at this point, found this on twitter, retweeted by this "ArchyFantasies" person:

And then there are these bits from the "review" which you posted, that sort of reeks of virtue signaling and frankly, jealousy, bending backwards to make Fox look bad, imho:

I mean, what the hell is this that I'm reading? Am I the only one seeing how this seems off the mark?

Yah its disgusting and comes off as virtue signaling / gatekeeping

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Ah, my mistake, I didn't know she retweeted it. Yeah, that's kinda messed up.

However, it's as much as an "archaeology show" as Ancient Aliens is. That's the issue. Fox is playing with the same "secrets unearthed! hidden history! real archaeologists are just close minded" tropes that permeates conspiracy culture.

Also, pseudo-archaeology has a long history of racism and ties to the far right. It's definitely something to be wary of.

I had no idea about your last point, but at same time, both the points ArchyFantasies make on her "review" and on her twitter seems as bogus as people comparing it with Ancient Aliens. I mean, I watched that thing once after that Aliens dude meme went viral, but one could use that as the starting point to go deeper in their archeology interests. I just think it's counter productive to attack Fox by basically calling her a dumb actress echoing the stigma that she already has to live through because real archeologists wish they had more scientific shows with people like them as the anchors. As far as I understand, ArchyFantasies doesn't seem to have a beef with the archeologists that Fox interviewed, but Fox herself. It's fucked up, imho.

Yah its disgusting and comes off as virtue signaling / gatekeeping

THANK YOU. I was almost starting to think I was going crazy here, how the shit that these two archeologists were saying about Fox is acceptable is beyond me. Basically, they don't have a problem with the archeologists she interviewed, but Fox herself and how she is a "bad example for girls". I mean, what the fuck.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds kinda conspiracy-filled and pseudo-archaeological to me. It's basically on the level of Ancient Aliens, American Unearthed, or Graham Hancock's work.

Also, considering how deeply embedded racism is in fringe history and archaeology...yikes.
Yeah the whole concept of "aliens did this" relies on people to believe that the ancients were too inept to handle building complex things. Its so freaking dumb.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chloe Frazer being half-Indian is a giant-ass retcon introduced in Lost Legacy. Hence the fact it was never mentioned in any of the previous five games. Also the fact she was noticeably redesigned in LL.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about your last point, but at same time, both the points ArchyFantasies make on her "review" and on her twitter seems as bogus as people comparing it with Ancient Aliens. I mean, I watched that thing once after that Aliens dude meme went viral, but one could use that as the starting point to go deeper in their archeology interests. I just think it's counter productive to attack Fox by basically calling her a dumb actress echoing the stigma that she already has to live through because real archeologists wish they had more scientific shows with people like them as the anchors. As far as I understand, ArchyFantasies doesn't seem to have a beef with the archeologists that Fox interviewed, but Fox herself. It's fucked up, imho.

THANK YOU. I was almost starting to think I was going crazy here, how the shit that these two archeologists were saying about Fox is acceptable is beyond me. Basically, they don't have a problem with the archeologists she interviewed, but Fox herself and how she is a "bad example for girls". I mean, what the fuck.
It seems as though you are dismissing any possible criticism of Fox whatsoever.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It seems as though you are dismissing any possible criticism of Fox whatsoever.

No, I read the criticism of both the archeologists literally campaigning against the show and called bullshit, because well, it IS bullshit. In any moment they disqualify the archeologists that Fox spoke to. They only disqualify her. The other archeologist that the "reviewer" ArchyFantasies retweeted go out of her way to say that Fox is a bad example for girls and that she will one day will have her own show to promote her peers work. I mean what the hell is this, are these people twelve? Let the woman have her archeology show, based on their own reviews, the only problem they seem to have is how Fox behaves, and I call bullshit on that.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
In the OP it mentions Fox is investigating giant skeletons, which is straight out of the Creationist/Ancient Aliens playbook.

Since her show so far has only talked with people that these other seemingly respected archeologists also respect, why aren't we giving Fox the benefit of the doubt that she won't bring other respected people to talk about and eventually debunk non-sense while doing it?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Megan Fox is quoted in that post saying that Ancient Aliens brought up "interesting points"...what interesting points, exactly? That's just whistleblowing the conspiracy nutters no matter how hard you twist it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like it can be fun. I'm gonna give it a watch.

lol @ the jealous blog and tweets.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Since her show so far has only talked with people that these other seemingly respected archeologists also respect, why aren't we giving Fox the benefit of the doubt that she won't bring other respected people to talk about and eventually debunk non-sense while doing it?

The second episode is literally about Stonehenge being a magical healing crystal. And Megan Fox has talked about the pyramids being a secret energy source in the past. And the fact she's called archaeologists narrow minded in interviews. And she mentioned ancient aliens as an inspiration. And she talks about magic in the first episode.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
""I would love to shadow someone and go on digs. I think it holds the answers," she told interviewer Scott Feinberg. "I wanna go and really see the real stuff that they are not willing to show the rest of the world; 'cos they hide all the real stuff, they don't show us, because humanity would panic."

this is something you'd read posted by your nutty aunt on facebook.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't really know what to make of this. I mean, yes, Chloe is Indian-Australian and I just found out about that, I haven't played Lost Legacy yet because I have yet to play Uncharted 4, so while I have it, it's on my backlog, I thought of her based purely on what I know of the character from Uncharted's trilogy.

And while I could see how this could be problematic given the context of the character in Lost Legacy, which is basically now somewhat of a spoiler to me that I only have myself to blame for, I still think it's debatable if she couldn't play the character. I mean, yes, representation matters, but sometimes roles like this to women are hard to come by, and given Megan's interest in the archeology, I do think that having her to represent Chloe - or Lara, for that matter - could be a good thing.

I'm not here to be "all really progressive", I think that Fox playing Chloe could be empowering to women all across the globe. That's what I think, imho. I mean, representation matters, but sometimes people are just too much of pitch perfect for a role. I honestly think this might be one of these cases.
Just stop and don't derail your thread any further with something that's fucked up. White washing is a serious issue

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
An expert in the field offering a critical view of a cable show seemingly packed with pseudoscience is "jealousy"? How does that work TaterTots?

Guessing you skipped over the whole Twitter portion of this thread? Blog opens with, "this is not to bash Megan Fox," but then on Twitter said she is a bad example for girls etc. That's wrong and reeks of jealousy.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A young Adam Baldwin at the exact moment he gave birth to Gamer Gate:

SpsZcSg.jpg

btw I have no feelings about Miss Fox but she literally apologized for this even though the photo captures every reason she had no idea it was happening and the kid himself seems to have a sense of humor about it.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
An expert in the field offering a critical view of a cable show seemingly packed with pseudoscience is "jealousy"? How does that work TaterTots?

My problem is that said experts didn't really had a problem with the content of the first show, but Fox herself. And that's bullshit, no way around that.

Also, I've found this:

And while I understand and think his worries have merit, prejudging something before watching isn't really something that I'd call it wise, and there's this:

Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/...ns-north-america-california-nature-study.html

Prehistoric humans — perhaps Neanderthals or another lost species — occupied what is now California some 130,000 years ago, a team of scientists reported on Wednesday.
The bold and fiercely disputed claim, published in the journal Nature, is based on a study of mastodon bones discovered near San Diego. If the scientists are right, they would significantly alter our understanding of how humans spread around the planet.
The earliest widely accepted evidence of people in the Americas is less than 15,000 years old. Genetic studies strongly support the idea that those people were the ancestors of living Native Americans, arriving in North America from Asia.
If humans actually were in North America over 100,000 years earlier, they may not be related to any living group of people. Modern humans probably did not expand out of Africa until 50,000 to 80,000 years ago, recent genetic studies have shown.
If California's first settlers weren't modern, then they would have to have been Neanderthals or perhaps members of another extinct human lineage.
"It poses all sorts of questions," said Thomas A. Deméré, a paleontologist at the San Diego Natural History Museum and a co-author of the new study. "Who were these people? What species were they?"
Some experts were intrigued by the research, but many archaeologists strongly criticized it, saying the evidence didn't come close to supporting such a profound conclusion.

A boulder discovered at the Cerutti Mastodon site thought to have been used by early humans as a hammerstone.CreditTom Deméré/San Diego Natural History Museum