• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/meghan-mccain-apologizes-revealing-major-000844764.html

Meghan McCain is suffering the "wrath" from many Game of Thrones fans after she spoiled the series finale's ending.

7f231f707aea179acf450645c5d69864

During Monday's episode of The View [which airs live on the East Coast], the hosts got talking about the medieval fantasy series' final episode, which aired the night before.

Game of Thrones first came into discussion during the "Hot Topics" segment, which was introduced by Whoopi Goldberg.

"Apparently, we're at the end of a giant era of pop culture. It came to close last night with the series finale of Game of Thrones," Goldberg, 63, explained. "And this morning, there are actually counselors you can reach out to if you're having a hard time with it. Anybody having a tough time?"

Her question prompted McCain to respond immediately with a "yes" before elaborating on her response — and spoiling the finale in the process.

"I spent eight years of my life watching this, and it was a horrible ending. Horrible," she said. "Bran is the worst. Sorry, spoiler."

"He didn't do anything, and now he gets to rule? It should have been the mother of dragons —" McCain continued, before being cut off by the audible shock from the audience and her View co-hosts, including Hostin.

"Oh, Meghan! I'm only on season four!" Hostin, 50, exclaimed, visibly upset by what she just heard, and proceeded to put her head down on the table.

c454c24a62e2c1498e7b4bb0a8696def

Goldberg, meanwhile, walked away from the table shaking her head in laughter, clearly amused by what her fellow co-host had just done.

McCain did go on to deliver a half-hearted apology, telling the crowd, "Sorry! But it's all over the Internet! I wasn't told I wasn't allowed to say it. I'm sorry, everybody. It's all over the internet. You would've found out one way or another."

"As a dedicated fan who watched live last night like everyone's supposed to, okay, it was terrible. I was so disappointed," she continued. "I'm sorry you guys were so triggered by me telling you the ending."

Refusing to take the blame entirely, McCain noted, "You guys are genuinely upset," and went on to question the producers in the studio. "Why is this a 'hot topic' then if I'm not supposed to talk about it?"

Following Monday's episode, McCain issued an apology on Twitter.

Can she please just go the hell away?

My bad and sorry if you guys were so triggered by me telling you the ending posting this thread if old.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's a piece of shit but this is really stupid. Why have a segment on the finale of your not allowed to talk about it? And if you actually cared you would of watched it when it aired.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate how internet nerds assume every person on the plent watches shows immediately. TONS of people will be catching up on the series over the next several years. Same for Marvel movies.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt this basic intuition? To consider others of new material? Im careful about The Godfather for christ sakes

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Meghan McCain is garbagio but she's honestly in the right here lol. Why have it as a segment to talk about if they aren't allowed to talk about it? Seems counterintuitive.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
She's right though, why ask them to talk about it if they couldn't talk about it? Hell, why even mention it if one of the co-hosts couldn't even contribute because she's 4 seasons behind?

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Meghan is right here, I hate hate hate spoiler culture. (Though admittedly, since her cohosts on the set are not up to date on the show, what she did is kinda crappy.)
I agree on principle though, how are you supposed to discuss something in a public space if you can't spoil it? It's ridiculous.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it really is all over the internet.

so?

endgame spoilers were all over the internet before it came out, so free reign to shout it from the rooftops like some moron who can't talk about a subject without going into very specific details?

it isn't difficult, critics literally do it all the time.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Well now that she knows, she can watch for all the detailed groundwork and foreshadowing put in for Bran.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the ending of The Sopranos being all over TV as soon as it ended. I think it's fair game to talk about the finale so long as there's a warning first.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Dumbass, it's ok to talk about it once aired but is pretty standard to give a spoiler warning before talking about it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Eh if a shows good the ending being spoiled typically doesn't matter.... in the case of GOT it kinda retroactively ruined the show

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they listen and never watch again
Meghan is right here, I hate hate hate spoiler culture. (Though admittedly, since her cohosts on the set are not up to date on the show, what she did is kinda crappy.)
I agree on principle though, how are you supposed to discuss something in a public space if you can't spoil it? It's ridiculous.
It was like 8 hours after the episode aired. Not everyone stays up late to watch tv. Atleast give it 24 hours.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Isnt this basic intuition? To consider others of new material? Im careful about The Godfather for christ sakes

No, that's ridiculous. The movie came out in 1972. You can't expect people to be irritated about spoilers to a 45 year old movie.

The original King Kong came out in 1933, is it a spoiler that Kong dies in the end? Of course not. How about Moby Dick, which was published in 1851. Can we not freely discuss Ahab dying in the end? What if someone hasn't yet read or seen Romeo and Juliet? SPOILERS, Where does it end?

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you can talk about it without spoiling anything, it is completely unnecessary for such a commenting-segment. That's not too much to ask of a professional talker...

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
No, that's ridiculous. The movie came out in 1972. You can't expect people to be irritated about spoilers to a 45 year old movie.

The original King Kong came out in 1933, is it a spoiler that Kong dies in the end? Of course not. How about Moby Dick, which was published in 1851. Can we not freely discuss Ahab dying in the end? What if someone hasn't yet read or seen Romeo and Juliet? SPOILERS, Where does it end?

You can discuss those of course, when you are acutally in a discussion about these things. When the discussion is about "Is it a good movie? Yes/Maybe/No" then there is no need to spell it out.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't care about spoiler culture"
So proud and confident that it's somebody else's problem
Now you haters of spoiler culture have your champion, enjoy

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You can discuss those of course, when you are acutally in a discussion about these things. When the discussion is about "Is it a good movie? Yes/Maybe/No" then there is no need to spell it out.

I disagree on subject matter this old, but whatever.

So back to this specific topic, it was a discussion about the finale, to MCCain's point. The mistake on Meghan's part was not announcing ahead of time she was going to discuss spoilers, I'll agree with that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But that's their problem though?
It's stupid to expect everyone to consume everything immediately. Not everyone lives their lives based on consuming media first and foremost. Those people should still have the ability to get to enjoy that media when they're ready.

I've even seen people say that if you didn't see Endgame in 3 weeks then you deserve to have it spoiled. It's complete insanity from people who are out of touch with life outside of the internet.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Without watching the clip, can someone tell me if she somehow brings in her family/father's name into the discussion like every other clip I've seen of her ?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like she has the same shit, surface-level reading of the show as the average Era poster.

The problem most people have with s8 isn't about not being able to see below the surface, it's the fact the season was horribly rushed and none of the main beats were earned.

It doesn't matter if things were telegraphed and built upon in previous seasons, everything just resolved too quickly.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Getting spoiled by Meghan McCain while watching The View after they literally introduce a segment on Game Of Thrones is on you.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The problem most people have with s8 isn't about not being able to see below the surface, it's the fact the season was horribly rushed and none of the main beats were earned.

It doesn't matter if things were telegraphed and built upon in previous seasons, everything just resolved too quickly.

Right, but from the average poster here you'd think season 8 has no redeeming qualities. It's still a good season of television and infinitely rewatchable, if not up to the standards of the early seasons (which let's be honest, are almost impossible to match).

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of hers but it was dumb to have it as a hot topic discussion if they were not supposed to discuss it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but from the average poster here you'd think season 8 has no redeeming qualities. It's still a good season of television and infinitely rewatchable, if not up to the standards of the early seasons (which let's be honest, are almost impossible to match).
It's not a good season though, and I will likely never watch it again.... because almost every major beat isn't earnt.

It's a series of "wtf" moments and ridiculously quick resolutions of show long arcs.

It's a really, really bad season.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I did not know Kong died, until i watched PJ movie, honestly its inconsiderate to not float the spoiler warning before saying what you want to say. Its absurd to think everyone is as aware as you.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
People have had 10 years to watch the show. It's not like she spoiled it before it aired on the west coast or something.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have switched channels the second they brought it up. I can understand being spoiled in a completely random thread or something, but if they literally introduce a segment about the finale, why would keep watching? I dodged the Sopranos ending for weeks and that shit was talked about everywhere.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I did not know Kong died, until i watched PJ movie, honestly its inconsiderate to not float the spoiler warning before saying what you want to say. Its absurd to think everyone is as aware as you.
I'm just gonna say this - You're being completely unrealistic and entirely selfish to expect people to not discuss pieces of media in the open that have been out for a significant amount of time, I'm sorry. You're just going to have to deal with that because nobody is going to give a spoiler warning for something from 1972. It's just not going to happen.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid to expect everyone to consume everything immediately. Not everyone lives their lives based on consuming media first and foremost. Those people should still have the ability to get to enjoy that media when they're ready.

I've even seen people say that if you didn't see Endgame in 3 weeks then you deserve to have it spoiled. It's complete insanity from people who are out of touch with life outside of the internet.

No one deserves to be spoiled, that line of thinking is weird. However I believe that discourse in public platforms shouldn't be censored from talking about any particular piece of entertainment already out. People who wants to stay spoiler free should take their precautions regarding their internet habits.