• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard is just going to remove Mei from the game to appease their Chinese overlords, which I see as an absolute win .
In the great scheme of things creating a region specific replacement with the same skill set wouldn't be that difficult if the request were made of their Chinese overlords. I'm thinking of how Arthur in Soul Calibur replaced Mitsurugi in places like Korea where samurai imagery was offensive. I'm not sure how replacing or removing Mei would be an absolute win though.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
In the great scheme of things creating a region specific replacement with the same skill set wouldn't be that difficult if the request were made of their Chinese overlords. I'm thinking of how Arthur in Soul Calibur replaced Mitsurugi in places like Korea where samurai imagery was offensive. I'm not sure how replacing or removing Mei would be an absolute win though.
The joke is she's frustrating to play against or with.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As I said previously, it would be a real shame if the Overwatch Player start to use only masked heroes or heroes dressed with masked skins...

Like...
MnOSfUJ.jpg

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is just going to remove Mei from the game to appease their Chinese overlords, which I see as an absolute win .
Sure. Most likely move here. But it forces them to implicitly make a political stance and double down on their bullshit if they do.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they are on the right track. The obvious next step is to drag major US company IP into the fight. Mickey for Hong Kong, Spiderman for Hong Kong, etc. As long as they can keep their heads down they will.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And they never realized that it was all a ploy by Overwatch players to use them to get Mei removed from the game.

JK, if that was the motive they would've picked Brigitte to destroy GOAT comps. But Brigitte DOES have a riot cop skin...

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Isn't Pepe a registered trademark and the owner DMCA'd anyone who used it in hate speech? which is why hate speech memes don't have Pepe anymore (that I've personally seen out there.) iirc.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Everything about this is incredibly well thought out. The fact that the VA is pro-China is the sweetest cherry on top of this wonderful cake.

Seems like they are on the right track. The obvious next step is to drag major US company IP into the fight. Mickey for Hong Kong, Spiderman for Hong Kong, etc. As long as they can keep their heads down they will.

Mickey is more or less dead at this point for the mainstream audience, and I would bet that the only reason why good ol' Winnie-the-Pooh still has some relevance is because of China's silly antics. If you want to really raise a shitstorm I would definitely go with something Marvel-related, especially now that their cinematic universe is the hottest thing in the entertainment industry.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
This is so awesome. Mei was one of my favorite characters so I'm glad to see her used in this way.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
There's a lot of ignorance in the west regarding this situation, on this site and elsewhere. People are forming opinions without understanding the cultural political context and history of either China or Hong Kong. So easy to reduce it to "democracy, fuck yeah! Down with communism!" But there's soooo much more going on here.

Fan art like this that parodies or simplifies the situation, and discourages you from thinking and researching deeper into the situation doesn't help at all.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of ignorance in the west regarding this situation, on this site and elsewhere. People are forming opinions without understanding the cultural political context and history of either China or Hong Kong. So easy to reduce it to "democracy, fuck yeah! Down with communism!" But there's soooo much more going on here.

Fan art like this that parodies or simplifies the situation, and discourages you from thinking and researching deeper into the situation doesn't help at all.

Okay. Then clear our ignorance. Tell us what is going on and the why.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Okay. Then clear our ignorance. Tell us what is going on and the why.
It would be a massive post, I'm not here to soapbox, especially not not on a sensitive topic on a video game forum like this. Baiting people into an argument that will change nobody's minds is tiring. I've had my fill of that to last a lifetime. I suggest if you are curious do your own research on it, form your own conclusions, because that'll be what's best. Don't take my word for it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a massive post, I'm not here to soapbox, especially not not on a sensitive topic on a video game forum like this. Baiting people into an argument no one that will change nobody's minds is tiring. I've had my fill of that to last a lifetime. I suggest if you are curious do your own research on it, form your own conclusions, because that'll be what's best. Don't take my word for it.

See this is why I hate posts like yours. They claim everyone is ignorant about the situation but when asked to to clarify they deflect. Clearly your not someone who wants people to actually be informed but to simply stop.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a massive post, I'm not here to soapbox, especially not not on a sensitive topic on a video game forum like this. Baiting people into an argument that will change nobody's minds is tiring. I've had my fill of that to last a lifetime. I suggest if you are curious do your own research on it, form your own conclusions, because that'll be what's best. Don't take my word for it.
Thanks, personally my conclusion is that the CCP can fuck off into space and also anyone that defends their shit.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
wait is this really happening?

The hope is to get Overwatch banned in China but making Mei become a symbol of Hong Kong. Just like how they banned Winnie the Poo.

If Blizzard tries to save face by deleting Mei from the game, then the protesters will move onto Tracer and so on and so forth.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The hope is to get Overwatch banned in China but making Mei become a symbol of Hong Kong. Just like how they banned Winnie the Poo.

If Blizzard tries to save face by deleting Mei from the game, then the protesters will move onto Tracer and so on and so forth.
Tracer's the face of the game so that'd be big

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017

It boils down to this. Everyone accepts that Hong Kong will be 100% another Chinese city under full Chinese rule in 2047 as per contract with the UK. The problem is that China broke that contract and are trying to accelerate the process.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Then thanks for nothing. Comes into tone police and act like we're all fools but doesn't even want to back up what they said. Gimme a break with these cowardly drive by holier than thou posts.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

Don't do this. You're not only assuming that not everybody knows what is going on from most or all angles, but then you don't even try to make good on your claim when taken to task for it. If you're not ready to back up your statements, then don't make them.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
And I will and I have.

I've spent a lot of time in Hong Kong. I have friends there protesting and keeping me updated and I support them wholeheartedly. Don't pretend that you're the only authority on this topic here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Every time someone wants to claim "both sides" in this conflict they suddenly clam up when asked to elaborate. Every fucking time.

What if I did my own research and decided fuck the CCP anyway? What if my family fled Hong Kong to escape the CCP? Is that good enough for you?

Please present the nuanced argument that paints the authoritarian regime that suppresses free speech and harvests organs that they should be painted with a shade of gray. I'm dying to hear it.

OP
OP
QuixoticNeutral
Oct 25, 2017
And I will and I have.

I've spent a lot of time in Hong Kong. I have friends there protesting and keeping me updated and I support them wholeheartedly. Don't pretend that you're the only authority on this topic here.
Every time someone wants to claim "both sides" in this conflict they suddenly clam up when asked to elaborate. Every fucking time.

What if I did my own research and decided fuck the CCP anyway? What if my family fled Hong Kong to escape the CCP? Is that good enough for you?

Please present the nuanced argument that paints the authoritarian regime that suppresses free speech and harvests organs that they should be painted with a shade of gray. I'm dying to hear it.

I echo this. How presumptuous of some people to think they're the only ones with skin in the game and personal stakes in the region. How dare they suppose we merely haven't heard the pro-CCP perspective, here where unlike in China we have a freer flow of information and less fettered access to opposing voices online—when the truth is that it has been in our faces all this time, and we've seen it and judged it bullshit.

Anyway, back to the art.

With how big the Blizzard story blew up this week, and how some of the fan art was clearly an expression of solidarity by new, well-meaning supporters from around the world who weren't sensitive to some of the finer points of HK symbolism (like the preference for the black and yellow colour scheme, the Black Bauhinia stripped of the CCP stars, and traditional Chinese lettering), I think there was good cause for worry that this was mainly the voice of "fuck Blizzard" outsiders and wasn't reflective of how things were looking on the ground in HK. It was definitely starting to drown out local developments, and even /r/HongKong has had to contain it so news could break through as we enter the weekend. But as some others have posted above, we can see in local media that Mei is indeed showing up:

hby7qqmpypr31.png

4tb0zzkx8pr31.jpg

Last edited: