• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
can someone ELI5 me why someone would throw a dead crab at someone? What does this signify or mean? Seems utterly stupid and random.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
can someone ELI5 me why someone would throw a dead crab at someone? What does this signify or mean? Seems utterly stupid and random.

Something to do with a crab emote signifying something or a trend being dead. Hbox has been dominating Melee with Jigglypuff therefore he's "killing Melee".

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Even if crab is all over Maryland, people aren't walking around with crabs in their pocket, what the hell.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
There was also the whole mess of last year's Evo where people lost their shit at the Smash 4 finals being a mirror match, leading to the players getting harassed to the point of them horsing around in the grand finals to mess with the people being shitheads to them.
It wasn't that it was a just mirror match, it's that it was specifically a Bayo mirror.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
What makes Hungrybox grating to a lot of people is that he actually doesn't really embrace the heel persona ascribed to him.

The cult of personality around the top Melee players, especially Mang0, is the insult to injury that Hbox gets for competing. He doesn't have the charisma that people like Mang0 have, or the quirkiness that people like Mew2King have, so he gets punished for it. When it comes strictly to the popular perception by the Melee viewing audience, Hbox is an average guy who shows up to tournaments full of top players that are essentially pro wrestling characters with "lovable personalities" and "storylines" and stomps them every time. No frills, no hot take tweets, no wearing flags like a cape, no diss tracks, no money matches, he just sits down and destroys everyone with a very reactive, non-aggressive playstyle with a character that is almost impossible to edgeguard.

On the other hand, when I see Mang0 playing on tournament streams, even the commentators can barely contain their obvious bias towards him, and when Melee's golden child Mang0, who along with Leffen (another beloved player) have well-known distaste for Hbox and his playstyle, loses after a bracket reset to the most reviled top player in the community, something bad was bound to happen eventually.

The culture around Melee has a problem with accountability when it comes to bias towards big personalities and a distinct lack of respect for sportsmanship above all else. It's an entirely grassroots competitive scene and a vast majority involved in its organization is under the age of 30.

Wtf? I thought the whole point of the open bracket was to have a "nobody" show up and beat all the top players @_@

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
How utterly bizarre. Thank you for the explanation.
  • There is a popular general meme to celebrate something dying by putting "X is dead!!!" over this video clip of a bunch of crabs dancing to upbeat music.
  • "Melee is dead" became a popular meme in particular after it was announced that Evo won't feature the game this year.
  • People think that hbox being so good is hurting Melee, so "Hbox is killing melee" became a separate meme.
  • Someone connected all those dots to throw a crab at hbox

What a tangled web we weave.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • There is a popular general meme to celebrate something dying by putting "X is dead!!!" over this video clip of a bunch of crabs dancing to upbeat music.
  • "Melee is dead" became a popular meme in particular after it was announced that Evo won't feature the game this year.
  • People think that hbox being so good is hurting Melee, so "Hbox is killing melee" became a separate meme.
  • Someone connected all those dots to throw a crab at hbox

What a tangled web we weave.

Thank you for an even further explanation!

How weird that a player being good at a newer version of the videogame, is being blamed for the death of an older version of that same game...really silly logic from the people who think that way.

It's just a natural progression of the franchise. Some don't need to like it, but I guess that's how it is.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
What makes Hungrybox grating to a lot of people is that he actually doesn't really embrace the heel persona ascribed to him.

The cult of personality around the top Melee players, especially Mang0, is the insult to injury that Hbox gets for competing. He doesn't have the charisma that people like Mang0 have, or the quirkiness that people like Mew2King have, so he gets punished for it. When it comes strictly to the popular perception by the Melee viewing audience, Hbox is an average guy who shows up to tournaments full of top players that are essentially pro wrestling characters with "lovable personalities" and "storylines" and stomps them every time. No frills, no hot take tweets, no wearing flags like a cape, no diss tracks, no money matches, he just sits down and destroys everyone with a very reactive, non-aggressive playstyle with a character that is almost impossible to edgeguard.

On the other hand, when I see Mang0 playing on tournament streams, even the commentators can barely contain their obvious bias towards him, and when Melee's golden child Mang0, who along with Leffen (another beloved player) have well-known distaste for Hbox and his playstyle, loses after a bracket reset to the most reviled top player in the community, something bad was bound to happen eventually.

The culture around Melee has a problem with accountability when it comes to bias towards big personalities and a distinct lack of respect for sportsmanship above all else. It's an entirely grassroots competitive scene and a vast majority involved in its organization is under the age of 30.
What's funny to me is that Hungrybox used to be the perennial underachiever up until like two or three years ago. He didn't use to win shit, nearly always finishing second place. It's only after success that people have turned hostile on him.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How weird that a player being good at a newer version of the videogame, is being blamed for the death of an older version of that same game...really silly logic from the people who think that way.

It's just a natural progression of the franchise. Some don't need to like it, but I guess that's how it is.

Hes good at the older game. Not sure where you got the being good at a newer version from?

But how do you become a God if you don't go through the gauntlet... @_@

The gods thing is barely relevant these days

Last edited:

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
He had to sike himself up thag morning when he woke up. He really had to put forth the idea that he is going throw a dead crab at someone today.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
The Melee community seems to have something against competitors that aren't the Smash Gods.

That's actually not true. The Smash Gods are held in very high regard but recent up and comers like Zain have been received favorably. aMSa, the only top player from Japan and the only one who succeeds competitively with Yoshi, is also well-liked. The key they have though is that they're underdogs and in aMSa's case a very friendly person. They also play characters that don't fight defensively and make hype moments.

Hbox on the other hand isn't buddy-buddy with the other "Gods" and plays Jigglypuff, a character that employs a reactive, defensive playstyle that is impossible to edgeguard where aggressive play and clutch edgeguards are the most beloved aspects of watching competitive Melee.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This site is super toxic towards the Melee community. Sheesh, I doubt many people are supporting the crab thrower.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This site is super toxic towards the Melee community. Sheesh, I doubt many people are supporting the crab thrower.

it was quickly dealt with while being lambasted by both the commentary and top players, but somehow it resulted in generalizations spanning sexuality all the way through hygiene of anyone who plays it. ERA is often an echo chamber of people patting each other on the back.
Like its pretty embarrassing if this poster is an adult:

It'd be weird if a Melee fan didn't smell like rotten seafood.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Melee community really needs to ostracize these people, this is not my experience from the tournaments or folks I have interacted with in the past. I am not convinced these antagonists are anything more than frustrated outliers.

I have mixed feelings about Hungry Box, but would never want to see him come to any physical or emotional harm.

As for Era, people are making their anti-Melee sentiment abundantly clear. However, I wonder how many here regularly attend tournaments or even really follow the fighting game scene. A suprising amount of shenanigans like this occur regularly at events, because the competitive mindset and sense of investment. It isn't exclusive to just Melee either.

Needless to say, I don't appreciate broadly painting the Melee community as toxic.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
it was quickly dealt with while being lambasted by both the commentary and top players, but somehow it resulted in generalizations spanning sexuality all the way through hygiene of anyone who plays it. ERA is often an echo chamber of people patting each other on the back.
Like its pretty embarrassing if this poster is an adult:
Era is usually an echo chamber in the positive direction, at least in the off topic side. I guess gaming communities in general are just toxic. Kind of a shame.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Thank you for an even further explanation!

You misunderstand, hbox is a melee player.

People say he is killing melee because they don't like his playstyle and feel like him dominating the game with that character is making top level competitive play stale.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Why are people acting like this guy killed their mother? He is just a dumb guy who threw a crab lol, he didnt even hit him with it and is super banned forever.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't judge but it really does seem like all the absolutely insane FGC stories come out of some Smash Bros game. Like the two dudes who just sat there during EVO and didn't fight each other while everyone booed and they laughed about it until a TO came over to tell them "hey you actually have to fight". There was another where a guy just flew around the stage or something until his opponent just said fuck it and walked off lol. The biggest SFV "incident" I can remember is K Brad popping off on Wolfkrone and that seemed completely innocent compared to the Smash stories I see bubble up.

I'm all for the guy getting booted but I gotta admit I laughed a bit at the planning and eventual execution. Guy lobbed that crab from far as fuck and dropped it on a dime right at the dude's feet lol. But I'm from an area where people buy a whole octopus from the grocer (NOT cheap), stuff it in their pants for 2 hours, and chuck it on the ice at an NHL game and get thrown out of the building to absolutely deafening cheers.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The Melee community seems to have something against competitors that aren't the Smash Gods.
Considering Hbox is one of the Smash Gods (really Melee Gods), and easily the one that draws the most hate, that's pretty off the mark.

The Melee community has a number of subgroups. The relevant one to talk about where grudges and internet hate (and probably real life crab throwing) are concerned would be the "degenerate spacie main" subgroup, e.g. the (usually not particularly good) players who genuinely want the game to just be fox and falco ("space animals" => "spacies") dittos forever and ever, amen. Marth? Lame. Puff? ICs? Unacceptable

They are a very vocal minority (mango is their lord and savior, hbox their devil)

Disclaimer: This post is an oversimplification, but I believe it is more useful than most