• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Meanwhile Will Smith having a party over there.

giphy.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The most pertinent MiB info is here...

You haven't truly made it as a writer until the Hollywood accountants get you.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
The trailers were godawful, not that you can review a movie based on that clearly(Aladdin), but still...Looked horrendous with absolute zero chemistry between the lead actors.

Will Smith stays winning, as he should. Give me a new follow up MiB with him, and while you're at it Hollywood, get me a Wild Wild West sequel! I enjoyed it!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Expected nothing but still disappointed by Sony Pictures
I'm sure PlayStation Production would be better than Sony Pictures at doing movies

Still watch it at theaters because I have a pass

Oct 28, 2017
California
Fourth, don't forget Aladdin

And yeah, I know the general public likes Aladdin, but they also like Godzilla and will probably like this. Critically it's been panned.

I mean it had a pretty good opening weekend, no? That and it's got pretty good legs so I wouldn't count it.

Good box office, audiences liked it, but overall critics didn't like it. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well, we'll just have to see about that.

Not to mention we gotta see how Tom Holland's Uncharted would looked like first.
If they put the same level of quality in their future movies/series than their own games, it's a done deal but yeah we'll see

Unfortunately, Uncharted with Tom Holland is a Sony Pictures project, not overseen by PlayStation Productions

Oct 27, 2017
And the 20+ year old Saturday morning kids cartoon continues to be the only clever/well-written MiB sequel, the only worthy successor to an amazing first installment. Why am I not surprised that this turned out to be trash?
Seriously. Some of y'all are forgetting just how great the first one is.

MiB is getting that bullshit "Sonic/Crash was never good" narrative lol

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A pity, I liked where they were going with the actors and a fresh start. They just needed to figure out a good story to tell. I guess the crossover with 21js would have been better.

I have no idea why Sony still meddles with their movies this much, when they have different teams that are able to put out inspired Blockbusters.
They manage to fuck up with a consistency that's mind-blowing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A pity, I liked where they were going with the actors and a fresh start. They just needed to figure out a good story to tell. I guess the crossover with 21js would have been better.

I have no idea why Sony still meddles with their movies this much, when they have different teams that are able to put out inspired Blockbusters.
They manage to fuck up with a consistency that's mind-blowing.
I honestly think Will Smith is to MiB as Johnny Depp is to Pirates. It simply won't work without him.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I honestly think Will Smith is to MiB as Johnny Depp is to Pirates. It simply won't work without him.

I don't think so, he was great in the first one, but I don't think he saved the second or third one. The buddy cop formula is somewhat needed for this franchise to work though. There has to be someone grounding the whole thing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so, he was great in the first one, but I don't think he saved the second or third one. The buddy cop formula is somewhat needed for this franchise to work though. There has to be someone grounding the whole thing.
I think he is legit the only reason people went to see those films at all.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was hoping that at least the duo of Hemsworth and Thompson will be fun but it sounds it doesn't even have that and the script and overall direction let's them down

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Wow this was absolute dogshit. The only thing I liked was Kumail Nanjiani's CGI alien. The performances were totally bland and phoned in - Tessa Thompson was fine but the material did nothing for her. Hemsworth was on autopilot, while the likes of Thompson/Neeson/Ferguson were just totally wasted.

The direction was bad, the visual effects outside of Pawny were awful, the twin villains were a big fat nothing. Most of the jokes didn't land outside of Pawny, the action was generic and forgettable.

Everything plot-wise was either super predictable or just dull.

This series really didn't need the globe-trotting treatment. I came out of it feeling tired and drowsy, which is pretty much the worst thing you can say for "dumb fun" like this.

I hated it. It was worse than Dark Phoenix. At least that film had McAvoy giving it his all and some not-terrible visuals. This thing was so, so soulless in a summer that's been filled with mechanical entertainment.

Nov 30, 2018
Everybody is blaming Gary but he wasn't the issue, the issue is that the writers are a bunch of hacks that somehow still have jobs

Oct 27, 2017
It was my month to pick the movie my wife go to see and it was between this, Shaft, and everything else. Looks like I'm going to gift her the choice. We'll probably end up at Late Night, which sounds pretty good at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Well, we'll just have to see about that.

Not to mention we gotta see how Tom Holland's Uncharted would looked like first.

They are chasing the Marvel Studios money. They didn't try to hide that. Lots of people are, but it's extremely difficult to be successful. Remains to be seen. I think VG properties can make good movies and TV shows, but not sure they can make huge billion plus blockbusters. I doubt any TLOU or GoW movie/tv show will be as good as the games.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hemsworth better play Thor for as long as he can. I don't think I've liked him in anything else nearly as much. I don't know if he's had any financial hits outside the MCU either.

Oct 2, 2018
HOT TAKE:

everyone is wrong. If you dont go in expecting the slapstick humour of MIB will smith edition.... this was actually quite entertaining. I certainly enjoyed it more than Xmen:DP and lots of recent movies I've watched. The whole way through I expected it to tank but it didn't actually. Rather good. They also kept you guessing re: the mole too. This person, that person with some succinct casting of liam neeson and ralph spall (both played villians of late).

so

7.8/10

I wonder why so many critics hated it. I thought the leads were charming and their chemistry was still there.. The little pawn thing had a few laugh out loud lines and it was pretty solid. Better than 2+3

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
HOT TAKE:

everyone is wrong. If you dont go in expecting the slapstick humour of MIB will smith edition.... this was actually quite entertaining. I certainly enjoyed it more than Xmen:DP and lots of recent movies I've watched. The whole way through I expected it to tank but it didn't actually. Rather good. They also kept you guessing re: the mole too. This person, that person with some succinct casting of liam neeson and ralph spall (both played villians of late).

so

7.8/10

I wonder why so many critics hated it. I thought the leads were charming and their chemistry was still there.. The little pawn thing had a few laugh out loud lines and it was pretty solid. Better than 2+3

I said I didn't hate it; it's average but definitely a creatively bankrupt movie. And Hemsworth and Thompson can be way better, as we've seen in Ragnarok.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I was hoping this to be good.

After MIB 3 I had high hopes. I don't know what the fucked happened.