• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
... you've never seen moonlight and just looked at her IMDb didn't you?
...no? Ive seen all 3 and enjoyed all 3

Edit: lmao my bad I thought she was but it was Janelle Monae. I must have read that she was in "Moonlight" in the past and got it mixed up. My b

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least July is filled with potentially good movies: Spidey, Tarantino, Lion King, Crawl, Midsommar.
giphy.gif

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a few youtube reviews and it always land on ...just watch the first one; a great original/novel film that the sequels either come close to living up it (MiB 2) or just plain aren't that good (MiB 3).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The trailers were downright uncomfortable at times. I think the film probably would have fared better if it was more of a reset of the franchise. It feels a bit too connected to the prior films.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I've been saying for months that this film was going to be a disaster and thus it has come to pass. Initially I gave it the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that the studio just washed their hands of this and put it out as is obviously hoping that Spider-Man FFH and Jumanji 2 will mop up some of the red ink from this turkey.

This feels symptomatic of the way SPE is run under Rothman. Morale on the studio lot is awful while the management style of his regime has chased away many talented production executives with seemingly no one coming in to replace them. They better hope that they have another solid year in 2020 with that Venom sequel because I'm not sure the way they do business over there is going to be producing many hits in future.

For what it's worth I heard that Bloodshot had a similarly troubled production so we'll see how that one pans out.

"they" said Venom was bad. I beg to differ. I had fun.

This means you enjoy bad films, which is fine, not that the film is good and everyone is wrong about it apart from you.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I really love this franchise, and I'd love to see one more with Will and Tommy. It's a fascinating set up, that doesn't really have a competitor. And I have thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of the originals. Even 2 had some pretty fun moments going on.

This one just looked so disappointing by the trailers though. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since I want the franchise and idea to continue, but it just looked so lifeless compared to the originals.

Still willing to see it. I hope it's at least a fun movie.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only Spider-Man can save this summer box office now~~~
Toy Story, Lion King, and Spider-Man will all gross over 400m domestic fairly easily (and in the case of Toy Story and Lion King over 500m likely) and all 3 I suspect will have good to great reviews. Summer will be fine. It's just been a bad run.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty stupid idea to replace Will Smith tbh, looked and sounded like a flop from jump

Dont even like the franchise but his charisma clearly carries this crap

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of hope I was wrong about the trailers, especially with the two leads. Sucks it turned out this way

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna wait till Friday. If you guys are saying it's bad, then fuck.

If it's ok, Saturday viewing.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The summer of sequels continues.

MiB 3 grossed $624 million back in 2012, so I can see why they'd try for another sequel. But bad reviews, and no Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones attached to this makes me think this is going to be the worst performing film in the franchise. Poor Tessa and Hemsworth.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have several thoughts on this:

1.) I think the first MiB is one of the best action films of all time, for a number of reasons. Great set pieces, great chemistry between the actors, highly original, great energy. Competent script.

2.) While the second film was a let down, I think the third film is highly underrated. Great movie.

3.) I love Tessa Thompson as much as the next person, but she can't carry this sort of film by herself. It's essentially a buddy cop film, and Chris Hemsworth is an overrated comedic actor who lacks the chops for this sort of endeavor. He works as Thor for specific reasons that are hard to translate to other action comedies.

4.) The fact that the trailers relied on contemporary music as opposed to the Men in Black theme always seemed like a big red flag to me.

5.) The charisma of Will Smith is extremely difficult to replace. He likely should have been brought on for this film in some capacity.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They also said KotM was bad so it's best to hold off and wait for these kinds of movies

a916

Oct 25, 2017
MIB the original relies very heavily on the Will Smith charm... he carries a lot of that movie.

And the trailer's really lacked that because neither of the two new leads has that kind of charm. Sounds like the movie suffers from that issue as well.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
*remembering the aladdin thread* ess emm dee aitch at all the people making judgments on this film and being hateful even though they haven't seen it

I, like all right-minded people, love Tessa Thompson, but it's a shame this movie doesn't seem to use her or Hemsworth particularly well

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Expected, also expected that Thompson is great in it but the RT blurbs that read like she's some rising star are weird and act like she wasn't in thor ragnarok and annihilation among others.

I mean, she is a rising star. The movies you mentioned had her in supporting roles, now she's leading her own blockbuster for the first time as far as I know.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I think Alladdin was a tone-setter for this summer.

Critics are going to lambast everything, but the studios are the ones who starting slapping Rotten Tomatoes scores on advertisements so they've got no one to blame but themselves if low scores keep people away.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Alladdin was a tone-setter for this summer.

Critics are going to lambast everything, but the studios are the ones who starting slapping Rotten Tomatoes scores on advertisements so they've got no one to blame but themselves if low scores keep people away.
I agree. I think the RT push in marketing was a mistake, and now it's finally coming back to bite studios in the ass.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I have several thoughts on this:

1.) I think the first MiB is one of the best action films of all time, for a number of reasons. Great set pieces, great chemistry between the actors, highly original, great energy. Competent script.

2.) While the second film was a let down, I think the third film is highly underrated. Great movie.

3.) I love Tessa Thompson as much as the next person, but she can't carry this sort of film by herself. It's essentially a buddy cop film, and Chris Hemsworth is an overrated comedic actor who lacks the chops for this sort of endeavor. He works as Thor for specific reasons that are hard to translate to other action comedies.

4.) The fact that the trailers relied on contemporary music as opposed to the Men in Black theme always seemed like a big red flag to me.

5.) The charisma of Will Smith is extremely difficult to replace. He likely should have been brought on for this film in some capacity.

How Will Smith didnt turn into Tommy Lee's character, I just dont understand. As long as his partner wasn't his literal son, this could have been amazing.