• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's okay, many of us made the casual vest mistake circa 2005-2010. I recall photos of me at a party and I have Logan Paul-esque hair while wearing a bright yellow Threadless tee with a black vest I got at Urban Outfitters, lol
Yeah. I dun goofed. I am this guy. Ugh...when I was younger, I wore all black and clothes that were too big. Literally always. That has carried over into my older age (30s). I'm trying to branch out, add some color (prefer darker still), but I have no idea where to start on anything.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about getting this jacket.
M3-8B-7A-RK_035.jpg

Buuut. I don't know. I think maybe it looks to similar to my other jacket. (pictured in my last post What do you guys think ?

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Nothing wrong with that jacket, but yeah, it looks like it's going to be a very similar cut/shape to the previous one. Is there something that you don't like about your previous jacket? Just looking for a change?

If you're looking for something a little outside of the realm of harringtons/coaches jackets/blousons, which is where I would say the two jackets that you have posted so far would fall, you could look at either a field jacket or a lighter weight parka.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with that jacket, but yeah, it looks like it's going to be a very similar cut/shape to the previous one. Is there something that you don't like about your previous jacket? Just looking for a change?

If you're looking for something a little outside of the realm of harringtons/coaches jackets/blousons, which is where I would say the two jackets that you have posted so far would fall, you could look at either a field jacket or a lighter weight parka.
Yeah Just looking for a change. I might go field jacket. I've already got a parka.

Through my own fault, i'm some what under the gun as i need one by next Thursday. Should never have left it this late.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
My Strellson messenger bag kinda fell apart within warranty, they wouldn't repair it so got a refund. Note to self: don't buy Strellson bags anymore.

Anyone any advice on leather messenger bags with a clean look / simple design?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question for you all. (sorry i don't really post in here in general, and just come in here saying stupid shit)

But when a measurement says 24" arm pit to arm pit. How big is that in real money ?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question for you all. (sorry i don't really post in here in general, and just come in here saying stupid shit)

But when a measurement says 24" arm pit to arm pit. How big is that in real money ?

around double the pit to pit measurement so ~48" which would fit a chest size a 2-3 inches smaller than that. that's pretty hazy estimating though. the best way to see in a shirt with a 24" pit to pit measurement would fit you is to take a shirt you have now and measure the pit to pit distance. if you're just looking for the generic size...maybe an XL?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
around double the pit to pit measurement so ~48" which would fit a chest size a 2-3 inches smaller than that. that's pretty hazy estimating though. the best way to see in a shirt with a 24" pit to pit measurement would fit you is to take a shirt you have now and measure the pit to pit distance. if you're just looking for the generic size...maybe an XL?
Right right, the description they put is a large.

*sigh* i really hate buying clothes, because i'm such an odd shape. Makes it real tuff, ya know.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have thread privileges, but could someone make a bootleg fashion thread in ectera? Not replicas but just funny or odd mashups of IPs or brands.

I live for that.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Wantdo Men's Classic Windbreaker Cotton Jacket with Stand Collar
i knew i recognized it. i bought it off Amazon during a lightning deal. I immediately returned it.

Its one of those cheap Chinese brands that look good on mannequins, but when you wear it look out of place.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
So this may be kind of a silly question but if I'm looking to buy things like shirts and vests and cardigans and jackets that are a step up from what you get at Uniqlo or whatever where should I be shopping?

For that matter, where do you get a good suit besides Men's Wearhouse?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
So this may be kind of a silly question but if I'm looking to buy things like shirts and vests and cardigans and jackets that are a step up from what you get at Uniqlo or whatever where should I be shopping?

Bonobos

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan

Honestly, Uniqlo is a pretty decent place to get stuff. It's not amazing quality, but it's good for the price, better value than any of the typical mall brands (at least when they aren't on sale). The construction and fits are usually alright, even if their materials err on the cheap side. You may already know about it, but the seasonal Uniqlo U lines are made in collaboration with Lemaire and are usually more interesting and fairly well made. You could look at Banana Republic, J. Crew, Bonobos, Brooks Bros, department stores, etc. but I'd recommend trying to get them on sale. Also, beware of the outlet versions of those stores - while they do have some things that are out of season leftovers or returns from stores, most of the stuff is made for the outlets specifically and is lower quality (worse materials, worse construction) than the main brand.

If you want to make a larger step up to things that are higher quality, you're looking at independent/boutique brands. That's much harder to make a recommendation for, because it depends a lot on what styles you're interested in and what you can spend, but it does open up a whole world of different fits, materials, and styles.

For suits, Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A Bank type places aren't great, really, and neither are department stores unless you go higher end. If you have a SuitSupply or an Indochino near you, you could try them out, but the best option is really to try to find a local tailoring shop. You don't need to go full custom or anything (unless you're a very uncommon size), but a local shop is going to have a wide selection, measure you properly, and will probably do alterations in house.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan

I mean, yeah, I get that it's all pretty ridiculous (that's often where streetwear is going these days), but part of the reason that these clothes are so expensive is that you're getting humans to make them by hand - mostly in Italy so they're also being paid a decent wage. Things like the burned shirt and the Looney Tunes sweater are going to be at the very least distressed by hand, more than likely initially assembled by hand too. The Prada shirt is going to have someone cutting the printed fabric precisely according to a pattern at right spot on the print, then lining it up precisely and assembling it by hand for each one they make so that the Elvis/Cleopatra graphic lines up perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, at least 4 of those are also big designer labels (I'm not familiar with Ottolinger), so you're paying a premium on the brand too. But the only one where it's just based on the label and you really aren't getting much in the way of craft is the Balenciaga tee. You're really just buying into Demna Gvasalia's anti-fashion vision with that, but between Balenciaga and Vetements, he does a lot of other stuff that has a level of weird craft to it.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't buy any of those even if I had the money for them, but I could see why they may speak to someone else.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, yeah, I get that it's all pretty ridiculous (that's often where streetwear is going these days), but part of the reason that these clothes are so expensive is that you're getting humans to make them by hand - mostly in Italy so they're also being paid a decent wage. Things like the burned shirt and the Looney Tunes sweater are going to be at the very least distressed by hand, more than likely initially assembled by hand too. The Prada shirt is going to have someone cutting the printed fabric precisely according to a pattern at right spot on the print, then lining it up precisely and assembling it by hand for each one they make so that the Elvis/Cleopatra graphic lines up perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, at least 4 of those are also big designer labels (I'm not familiar with Ottolinger), so you're paying a premium on the brand too. But the only one where it's just based on the label and you really aren't getting much in the way of craft is the Balenciaga tee. You're really just buying into Demna Gvasalia's anti-fashion vision with that, but between Balenciaga and Vetements, he does a lot of other stuff that has a level of weird craft to it.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't buy any of those even if I had the money for them, but I could see why they may speak to someone else.

None of that matters since no one in the world should nor will buy this. It's a trick to justify high prices on other goods they're actually trying to sell.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I think you're underestimating the sales potential of this stuff. I see people every day here in LA - heck, even in my apartment building - wearing these simple/basic/inexplicable designer clothes. Every Korean insta guy I follow buys pieces along these lines every week. It's kind of insane, but yeah, labels are absolutely selling these things.

The all-over printed Prada camp collar shirts from the last few seasons are bonkers, fwiw. I love those so much even though I could never in a hundred years afford one.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No gonna lie it's pretty simple to make your own shirts these days and sweaters, and I prefer the pay off of doing/learning to do it well to paying high prices...

that is, if it turns out alright.