• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I'm flashing the Fashion-Era bat-signal. Need some advice for an all-black or mostly-black outfit for a winter wedding I'm going to in December.

I currently have this suit. A general black suit but with a mini-grid pattern. It's not all too noticeable but I didn't want a solid black suit. It unfortunately has no matching vest, but I would like to wear one.

I would like to pair this with a black shirt, black vest, and black tie.

Two questions (wanna keep this brief):

1. Can/should I play with textures? E.g. silk tie for a bit of sheen to contrast the suit, If so, is it better to have a solid black shirt and play with tie texture or vice versa? Should I use a deliberately different texture for the vest for contrast?

2. Can/should I play with color? Because I'm unlikely to find an exact match in terms of color and pattern for the vest, should I go for an off-black (dark grey) vest or keep with something simpler like this? If the latter, does it matter that it doesn't have the mini-grid pattern of the suit? I've been reading that the vest "must" match the suit but I hear conflicting reports. Again, this is a formal event so I'm not going wild with colors/patterns (and it's not my taste anyway).

I see something like our boy Christian Bale playing with patterns, textures and off-black colors, but I don't want to end up with a terrible looking combination. I don't want a bad combo that's not contrasting enough or one that just doesn't come together. I already know I'm not getting an exact matching vest so I feel like I do need to play around with things but I just don't know what.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Goes without saying my suit is my proper size and has been tailored.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered this, I hate all the men's coats that Uniqlo has and saw this from the homepage and wanted it. The women's reversed buttons are gonna be a pain in the ass and not sure if I ordered the right size (I'm usually a men's small, all the reviews said this is super oversized though so I tried with a women's XS), but I love the color and style so I've got my fingers crossed.

goods_54_413323
I own two women's coats from Uniqlo because the men's ones are always so boring

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
I own two women's coats from Uniqlo because the men's ones are always so boring

I know right! Not even their models look good in the men's coats, so much of their mens line just looks antiseptic or something, like way too perfectly cut without any angles or interesting flourishes to the design at all. And like I know that minimalism is an aesthetic they like, but I hate it especially when so many of their womens clothes look great.

How do you pick your size in women's compared to men's? Do you usually just get the same size?

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
I know right! Not even their models look good in the men's coats, so much of their mens line just looks antiseptic or something, like way too perfectly cut without any angles or interesting flourishes to the design at all. And like I know that minimalism is an aesthetic they like, but I hate it especially when so many of their womens clothes look great.

How do you pick your size in women's compared to men's? Do you usually just get the same size?
I haven't tried that, but my understanding is that women's shoes run narrower than men's so it might not be possible to find a pair that fits right.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Chances are it's gonna be shorter than a men's nearly everywhere (sleeve and inseam lengths usually.)

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really possible to dye something that's red to white, so you're going to be forced to use bleach to get the color out. My only recommendation is that you first try bleaching a small area of the red stripe where it's not visible, like the interior of the cuff. If you can't get it to look the way you want in that small area, then you're probably out of luck. I doubt that you're going to make it totally blend in with the surrounding white stripe, if that's what you're after, though. You also need to be super careful about rinsing the bleach out so that it doesn't get on the blue fabric. Overall, I wouldn't recommend doing this at all unless you don't really care about screwing up these pants.

more than likely you'll never get it to be as white as the surrounding white, let alone uniformly white along the stripe, let alone doing all that without also getting splotches on the blue. not worth the time or effort.
Thanks peeps. I've learned the best thing would be to paint it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for good winter parkas with real fur for the hood lining? Obvious one I know is Canada Goose but would prefer to look at other cheaper options.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
Hey Guys -

I am moving out of state soon and am trying to sell off some unused or rarely used items. So far these are the first two items up for sale, reasonable offers are welcome:

Schott Per22 Leather Jacket in Size XS - https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cowhide-perfecto-jacket.htm (mine: https://imgur.com/a/2RQplwa#JS1Euzh) I am 5'9ish, 140ish lbs and this fits just right. Will sell for $550 shipped. I've worn this very rarely and as such it shows minimal wear. But the leather is super thick and it's built like a tank.

McQ Alexander McQueen Heavy Wool Coat Size IT46 - https://imgur.com/a/eIuRQQq#iy25Iyl - I've never worn this, been stored so a little wrinkled but that'll go away. Interesting piece, very heavy warm wool coat with back leather panel. Retailed for I believe $1500 when purchased, I did take the tags off, but it's basically brand spanking new. Will sell for $600 shipped.

I just really need to get rid of unused items. I've also got some shoes, Viberg Boots size 7, Common Projects sneakers size 40, Carmina dress shoes size US8, that i'd like to sell too.

Bumping my post:

Dropping price on the Schott Per22 now to $500 shipped and the McQ Wool Coat down to $500 shipped as well. Holler if you're interested in either and want full measurements or on body shots.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Kinda weird to have Dries van Noten and Robert Gellar start following my insta this week even though I never post anything fashion related. Maybe they both like my dog??

Like, I was ok with this completely innocuous shirt until the deer cuffs showed up in the pics. Hard pass, dude.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Like, I was ok with this competent innocuous shirt unit the deer cuffs showed up in the pics. Hard pass, dude.

I like Pladra's animal patterns and that is their MO and when I took a quick look at first, I thought it was a moose from my phone viewing the e-mail. Now that I see the deer, you're right. Thanks.

Edit: I talked with the founder and he said they are releasing other shirts with other animals that aren't deer so that makes me happy.

Last edited:

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Okay time to sit down and read this thoroughly. I'm absolute trash when it comes to clothes shopping. No idea where to begin, end up buying things I never end up wearing or coordinate with anything I have.

EDIT: Oh I think this was the era version of Mansion. Links for various articles of clothes, steps for style, coordinating etc., Where they at, OP? D:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay time to sit down and read this thoroughly. I'm absolute trash when it comes to clothes shopping. No idea where to begin, end up buying things I never end up wearing or coordinate with anything I have.

EDIT: Oh I think this was the era version of Mansion. Links for various articles of clothes, steps for style, coordinating etc., Where they at, OP? D:
Buy a nice pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and some js

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone purchased a suit, or I guess anything really, from Combat Gent since it's new ownership? I've read reviews for the company and a lot of it is still negative due to the previous owner. I wanted to check if it's improved

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Who's got the the hoodie game on here? Looking to refresh a couple and could use a push in the right direction .

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Is there anything wrong or a fashion "faux" pas with getting a faux leather jacket instead of a real one?

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Who's got the the hoodie game on here? Looking to refresh a couple and could use a push in the right direction .

Reigning Champ or Wings + Horns have great basic hoodies imo, they're not cheap though so always look for sales. Anywhere from lightweight summer slub, midweight terry cotton, and heavyweight winter terry ones.

Reigning Champ: https://us.reigningchamp.com/collections/core-program?page=1
Wings + Horns has a sale right now: https://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/sale

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Gotta say Carhartt WIP gets a lot of flack because well, it's Carhartt for people that never use their hands for working, but it's a great brand.

Reigning Champ or Wings + Horns have great basic hoodies imo, they're not cheap though so always look for sales. Anywhere from lightweight summer slub, midweight terry cotton, and heavyweight winter terry ones.

Reigning Champ: https://us.reigningchamp.com/collections/core-program?page=1
Wings + Horns has a sale right now: https://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/sale

Agree with this (they were both created by the same person). Despite not being super into fitness I'm a huge fan of RC hoodies and sweatshirts. RC specifically can be found cheaper on Grailed (I'm selling a couple of XS hoodies on there 😏).

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try gap's hill city line? Some of the stuff looks nice but not sure on the sizing Gap being an American company and all. I read n the site that they have some samples at the grove gap store but no selection to purchase and I don't wanna drive to the fucking grove (i dont think any ever wants to).

Oct 27, 2017
Yo Fashion Era:

What are acceptable and stylish beanies to wear indoors? Or other forms of hats that keep myself warm in rather cold rooms like this university library I'm currently at.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have good recommendations on business dress shirts that aren't too expensive? I've tried Macy's, I've tried JCPenney's but it's all hit or miss in 1st finding anything and 2nd if they even fit correctly. I wish I could afford Brooks Brothers at the moment.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Yo Fashion Era:

What are acceptable and stylish beanies to wear indoors? Or other forms of hats that keep myself warm in rather cold rooms like this university library I'm currently at.

Knit, denim, and canvas sailor hats (might see them listed as moussaillion, depending on brand) are pretty popular right now. It won't cover your ears, however, and doesn't work with everyone's head shape due to the smaller size of the hat. That said, if a full-on beanie is too heavy and you want something on trend, there ya go.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Anyone have good recommendations on business dress shirts that aren't too expensive? I've tried Macy's, I've tried JCPenney's but it's all hit or miss in 1st finding anything and 2nd if they even fit correctly. I wish I could afford Brooks Brothers at the moment.

I see people recommend Charles Tyrwhitt pretty frequently, but I think that the specific recommendation is to wait for the sales when you can get 3 or 4 shirts for $100. I've never bought anything from them but it looks like you can get shirts in pretty much any size or fit you want.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I see people recommend Charles Tyrwhitt pretty frequently, but I think that the specific recommendation is to wait for the sales when you can get 3 or 4 shirts for $100. I've never bought anything from them but it looks like you can get shirts in pretty much any size or fit you want.

Yeah, I might just purchase from there

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for comfortable boots? Something I can wear casually with denim with solid support and cushion. My budget is around $300 or so. Brown preferred.

Desert boots wrecked my fucking legs forever. Never again.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
Is there anything wrong or a fashion "faux" pas with getting a faux leather jacket instead of a real one?

if you're asking because you don't want to wear leather for ethical reasons, then you're shit out of luck. find another jacket in some other material that you like. don't ever waste money of faux leather. if you don't have any reason beyond possibly price, save and get proper leather.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

I like Zara dress shirts when they are on sale. Not the greatest but on sale for $20-30 a pop isn't bad.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019

Where do you live? and budget?
I have two brothers