• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did a month of "When-needed" xanax to sleep after a ridicolously stressing week and that was a fantastic experience.
It was a dark time of fearing my own thoughts, but eventually good came of that.

I would not reccomend long-term xanax use, honestly, unless as a last resort. But as an occasiona crutch after particularly stressful events? That shit's fucking ace.

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
I spent six years on xanax and ended up having to go to rehab to get clear of it (alcohol as well). It's a band aid solution (good for stuff like fear of flying) but for anxiety issues better to address it through stuff like cbt, dbt and mindfulness. I got farther in two months with that stuff than I did with 15 years of various medications.

I'm sorry this is something you had to go through. I'm glad you survived it! My father had to go to rehab just last summer for benzos + alcohol. He had no idea what a close call it was before he went. It's been rough on all of us, but we've made it this far. Unfortunately unlike you we can't convince my father to go to therapy. Well, hopefully someday.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Meds work for me, but i have bipolar 2 disorder along with post traumatic stress (multiple vectors). I tried a lot of things, from therapy to running away from shit. The meds keep me from cycling.​

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, first dose was on 12/7. We've already bumped it to 75 mg. I don't know. I just feel pretty much the same. It's odd.
It's not unusual for particular SSRIs to have little to no effect based on the individual. I know a couple of people who've been on Zoloft for a couple of years and it seems to help them, but if it's doing nothing for you you're definitely best talking to your donor about other options to find what's right for you.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to say they will work for you or that you should just give in, but I was against medication for years before I finally tried it. It's really helped me. I was worried about the negatives too, since that's what you hear about most — people are more likely to share a bad experience than a good one.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I agree completely with what you said, it's a bandaid fix but still helpful. I finally started CBT last year which was helpful.

As for Xanax itself though, when taking as prescribed I don't see the issue while you work to overcome from other ways, since like you said it is a bandaid, it can help for temporary relief while going through the process.

Also Xanax and alcohol is a horrible combination. I'm glad you were able to get off it! Hopefully the rehab helped with the alcohol also. I just got to my ten year mark on sobriety from alcohol actually a week ago!
That's a bloody awesome milestone, stay the course :)

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Does anyone else feel bad when talking to the your doctor when wanting medication for some reason. Always feel guilty. Have an appointment tomorrow to talk about what I think is anxiety related issues and really just want it to stop and will try any medication.
I think there are some unhealthy stereotypes about people trying to abuse the system to get high. Don't let them prevent you from asking, though. Be open with the people you talk to and they will help you find a path that works for you.

I also wanted to point out, just because I haven't seen it mentioned and it might be helpful to some folks (I noticed it came up as I was typing this lol), that none of this just makes your problems go away. I still have moments of anxiety. I'm having one now, actually, because a heavy ass band is practicing in my basement and my brain is certain the cops are gonna show up or someone's gonna come over and cause a scene or something. But now it's much easier for me to recognize it as it's happening, say to myself "Oh, hey, I'm feeling really anxious right now", react in a more conscious manner, and also potentially reflect on why I felt so anxious in the first place. That's why mindfulness meditation is so handy.

Medication's role (at least in terms of anxiety- and depression-related issues) is to level out some brain chemistry so it's easier to face issues without them triggering any severe reactions, both in-the-moment and when speaking to a therapist (which I think everyone should do in the first place). It may or may not be best for you but if your anxiety or depression seems too hard to reign in with just willpower it might help put you on a path to learning how. All of our struggles are unique, of course.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that works for me is being healthy. Eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, and going for long walks. If I can do all of those things for a long period I start to feel better, but of course I'm constantly sabotaging myself by doing things like drinking coffee and smoking weed and staying up all night.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I HIGHLY recommend Anxiety as an Ally by Dan Ryckert. It's 1.99$ for the remainder of the day, so don't miss this. It's a great read from someone who has tackled this exact subject.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00US3BR0G/?tag=era0f0-20

I also want to parrot the people in here talking about diet and exercise. It's a great help, but also much harder to start when dealing with anxiety.

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend finding a therapist that you can resonate to, fighting anxiety alone is a tall order, and having someone to guide you, even if sometimes just to say what you already know, will really help you keep yourself in the right path.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
There are alternatives for sure but just like medicine, you have to find one that works for you.

I used to avoid getting prescriptions for bipolar and anxiety disorder after some bad experiences when I was young, but a few years back I started going to the doctor and we found a combination that works really well and I wish I would of done it sooner

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried handling my anxiety/depression without medication and I realized that my battle was a much larger issue than I could handle alone. I'm on Escitalopram(Lexapro), and that has really worked wonders for me already. OP I'd consider picking up Dan Ryckert's book "Anxiety as an Ally", look into some forms of meditation that will suit your kind of anxiety, or find some kind of outlet that makes you feel better.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
I have anxiety, I drink to deal. Not a lot, just enough to get the edge off and have me not care but not enough to be inebriated to the point of acting the fool. I'm about to start a job as a pharmacy tech soon though, which rules this out as an option unless I'd like to be fired and end up behind bars after I kill someone with the wrong dose. Don't know how I'm going to deal, perhaps Ativan.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
therapy, meditation and building routine. it didnt solve my anxiety or depression, but i have better management over them now.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
There are medications out there that are remarkably safe, like buspar.
It all depends on the individual. Buspar completely killed my sex drive and worsened my gastrointestinal issues after being on it for a few years.

As for OP, after various medications and counseling that haven't really worked over the last 14 years, CBD oil, exercise and a better diet has my anxiety in a better place then it's every been and it continues to improve.

Of course some days can still be shit but much more manageable and less severe.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
It all depends on the individual. Buspar completely killed my sex drive and worsened my gastrointestinal issues after being on it for a few years.

As for OP, after various medications and counseling that haven't really worked over the last 14 years, CBD oil, exercise and a better diet has my anxiety in a better place then it's every been and it continues to improve.

Of course some days can still be shit but much more manageable and less severe.
Oh this does remind me one of the side effects I had with citalopram was delayed ejaculation and anorgasmia. I'd still say it's worth it.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I take Cipralex for anxiety/depression/OCD. Before I started taking it, my life was a goddamn disaster.

I'll take it forever if I have to, and am happy to.

Best of luck in whatever path you go for.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
A healthy diet, exercise, and meditation are very effective if you make a routine out of them. The key for me is to not go too overboard on an only healthy diet, because that way when I have something unhealthy it doesn't make me feel depressed and disappointed in myself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My wife suffers from pretty debilitating anxiety which has had an effect on her life, my life, our relationship, but anxiety medication has really been a godsend when it's the right dosage. It doesn't eliminate anxiety, and she's still an anxious person, but it helps control it so that she can be a thriving, happy, successful person. WHile I know you're looking for alternatives to anxiety medication, I can vouch that the right dosage of anxiety medication, plus therapy and a healthy living environment, can really help move someone along to a path of a fulfilling, happy life.

She was on a fairly strong regiment of effexor for years, but recently cut that in half because we're expecting. Effexor is very difficult to draw down from, and so she had to step down gradually and that wasn't totally easy, but she did it, and she's done really well on the lower dose.

She also regularly exercises, does yoga, goes to talk therapy with her therapist/psychologist, and she really sticks to a routine... which is both a symptom of the anxiety and something that is "normal" that helps her act out her anxiety. It's not always healthy, sometimes it's simply not healthy, but sometimes I'll try to gently reminder her... "that might not be a good thing to focus on..." and she'll get the hint and then over time work it down. The schedule thing borders a bit on obsessive compulsive, but it's a manifestation of anxiety.

Also, I'll probably get criticized by some for saying this... but my wife was a regular, daily marijuana smoker for ... years. Since as long as we've known each other, and it did not help. When she became pregnant, she cut out marijuana completely, and while she doesn't intend to quit for the rest of her life, regular marijuana use made her much more anxious, even though she always insisted it did the opposite, I could witness it first hand. I have nothing against marijuana, smoke occasionally (rarely these days) myself, but the jury is out on whether prolonged marijuana use can help or hurt with anxiety and it can change depending on the person... for her, I think it hurt. For others it may be different, but I have another close friend who echoed the same about himself (who was a regular, daily smoker, highly anxious person on a prescription for anxiety). Obviously two anecdotes don't make a scientific conclusion, but I'd be open to it.

Last edited:

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger and overweight I went through a period of years where I was depressed and constantly anxious. Medications didn't work. Lifestyle changes did. Exercise, losing weight, getting in shape did wonders to combat my anxiety and depression.

Age also helps too. Maturity and experience help in learning how to deal and cope. I do not take any medication now and I'm happier than I've ever been in my life and have been for a while now. I know how to manage my anxiety and cope when I'm feeling down - but I'm back to "normal" (I.e before my depression) and have been for a while. Hell, with this job I have I haven't felt this fulfilled in my entire life.

Depression is not necessarily a lifelong illness. Anxiety is beatable. It will take time. Years probably. Your body is able to combat it, but physical and environmental changes are a must. You can do this.

More serious mental conditions I have no advice for and medication is likely the best route but I wish the best for people suffering them.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Medication made a 100% difference for me. I couldn't even talk to people before I started taking it. If you find medication isn't working you need to find what works. If there's a pill that can make you feel better, my motto is fucking take it. I suffered for so long, and I needed the help, so I took it and it really fixed a lot of aspects of my life. I found that meditation also helped for clearing my head, as well as exercise, even a simple walk while listening to music. During sunny days it's really important to get outside and get some vitamin D. Supplements do not have the same effect. There are horror stories for everything, but I'd take the risk to clear my head over feeling the way I did for the rest of my life.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
If you aren't going to take meds, you should get involved with a therapist that teaches CBT. The stories about meds are blown out of proportion, like most modern media coverage. You hear about the problems, but rarely about the millions of people being helped by them. That said, unless you're diagnosed with a clinical anxiety disorder, drugs shouldn't be your first step anyway. Most people who have anxiety are sub-clinical sufferers who will be just fine with a little CBT.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Oh this does remind me one of the side effects I had with citalopram was delayed ejaculation and anorgasmia. I'd still say it's worth it.
Yeah I was on celexa before and was fine with the delayed ejaculation but Buspar killed my desire to have sex or be intimate entirely which caused some issues with my marriage.

Not everyone reacts that way though so it's hard to condemn it outright.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If you don't want meds, you need to see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. Or find a support group run by a psychologist or someone certified group therapy.

There are tools they can teach you that may help, like CBT.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Sorry OP, I had a great recommendation if your issue was as simple as 'public speaking' or 'participating in meetings'. But even that pill kind of makes you a zombie and people can tell you're not yourself, just your voice doesn't shake and you speak up when you feel like it.

I can't think of an RX solution to relationships. I suppose they're meant to be hard because frankly they always are.

OP
OP
visvim

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP, I had a great recommendation if your issue was as simple as 'public speaking' or 'participating in meetings'. But even that pill kind of makes you a zombie and people can tell you're not yourself, just your voice doesn't shake and you speak up when you feel like it.

I can't think of an RX solution to relationships. I suppose they're meant to be hard because frankly they always are.

Yea. It's exhausting for my wife to deal with my problems and mood all the time. I feel bad for putting so much of it on her. She is supportive, but I feel as though each time we argue about my shit, that little piece chips off you know?

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
In the UK before you can get any Anxiety meds you need to go speak to a GP. The GP will then judge based off what you have said what the best process for you to move forward is. If they do prescribe meds they will be a small dose.

Now in the US I think you guys have to pay for meds. I would still put faith in the meds if the prescribe them, however any medical professional worth their salt is going to suggest a therapist of some sort. Drugs are rarely the sole fix to all this. In some cases you do need to use the drugs for the rest of your life.

Depression is something that can come back at any point for any reason. A constant regiment of pills for some people is the only option.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also have some anxiety and i tommorow i have another appointment wich is for my adhd, reoccuring depression and anxiety.

For the adhd i probably will get meds and after that probably therapy for the anxiety and depression issues, maybe they will proscribe meds too but honestly i am 22 now and anything that helps i will try with open hands, i quit adhd meds originally because i hated meds when i was a teen i did not want to be depended on em ya know.

But now that i am adult (22 years) the mental issues do affect me so that's why i seeked out help better late then never.

Anyway if you had therapy already from a good therapist or psych then i would say meds are not the end of the world if they improve your life it's worth a try, but if you haven't had good therapy before i would really recommend it, it can truly help.

I am at the start of treatment and tommorow i will hear the treatment plans so honestly i am still at the beginning so i can't tell more sadly yet, but i will surely share my story on Era once i am further with that process.

But i have seen great advice from posters here already pick up the positive ones and consider em.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I did CBT in combination with Clonazepam. I still have a severe anxiety disorder so the latter certainly helps, but I found the skills I learned in CBT to be equally as helpful.

For some context, my anxiety started when I was 16, I started taking meds shortly after, and I am now 24. Do not let the anxiety depression medication horror stories get to you.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I took some adivan for a while when I needed it. Like only when I was having an attack. It helped get me through those times for sure and Im thankful for that.

The biggest thing for me was changing my lifestyle. Diet and exercise, meditation (even just sitting outside in peace and quiet with just the sounds of nature around you is meditation enough).

Just taking time to get away from everything. The TV, phone, games, work, people in general. I dont think a lot of our brains have evolved quite enough to handle modern living when its go go go all the time. I think we overload it with too much stimulation and over time it shorts out and starts going into panic mode.

Finding that time to let the brain not be under constant stimulation has worked wonders. But the diet and exercise were just as important.

Lay out in the sun, listen to some relaxing music. Just breath and find a happy place.

Do this for a while daily amd you will notice a difference.

But for some, its not possible without medication so good luck

Edit: oh yeah. Sleep. Oh man, a good sleep schedule is a lifesaver

Last edited:

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
I take Cipralex for my anxiety. It hasn't been completely without side effects, but the side effects are a lot more manageable than the crushing anxiety that stopped me from eating adequately for three weeks (I guess on the bright side I lost 15 pounds, but that's just yo-yo dieting).

Anyways, don't be so afraid of meds. The nice thing about them is that you can stop them if they don't work. It might turn out that you're like me, with reasonably high anxiety that was treatable with a reasonably low dosage.

Edit: Also you can do what I did and just talk to your GP about it. I had a couple treatment options but I chose meds because that's easy. Your GP should be able to give you options for both types of medication and types of treatment.

Hang in there fella, until my anxiety got under control it was terrible. I feel for you brother.

OP
OP
visvim

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to reboot my thread here, after a long chat with my doctor, he decided based on what I explained and how I feel, that meds will definitely be a last resort. He came up with a plan for me and after 4 days so far, it's already working. I'm amazed, as it's so simple. I also discussed my 'losing arousal' (AKA , erectile dysfunction) that has plagued my life since teenage years as well. He thinks it's all connected.

- Set sleeping pattern, go to bed early, wake up early. I go to bed at 11:00 and wake up at 7 instead of the previous around 4AM down 11AM up....
- No porn, no masturbating. We talked about this a lot, and he suggested I may have a toxic / over-addictive problem going on there. I have cut it out and damn....
- Eating better, cutting out caffeine and reducing sugar (suggested in this thread by others, too.) I am finding his part the hardest. I would usually smash 3 coffee's per morning. Higher magnesium intake (greens, nuts, dark chocolate)
- 1 hour dog walks in the morning. Usually my wife and I would take him for a quick 30 min walk each night.
- Less time working, Less time gaming, not hiding in my mancave, spending time with the wife who is already saying how much she is happier with me around.

That is it. I still have a ways to go, but I already feel a leap and bound better than I did just 1 week ago. And no meds!