• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Mental Health ERA |OT| You are not Alone

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

Thanks brother (or sister). I made it to fourth year in my program years and years ago and then imploded but I've decided that I want to revisit this degree. To make myself proud and to make my parents proud and to help with my career. I'm expecting that I have to redo each course since it's been so long - I'm applying and am committed to getting it done though.
Being alone has its upsides, use them while you can and don't beat yourself up over finding someone. There's no hurry. Try to make new friends along the way through your hobby if possible, being single and working on yourself doesn't mean shut out the rest of the world so keep that in mind :).

Jot your goals down, and make steps to get there little by little.

Good luck!

I need to avoid shit that stresses me out, but it seems like everything does nowadays. Bleh.
Sometimes unplugging from everything and reading or writing helps me a ton. Little things still stress me the hell out, but I comeback refreshed and with a better tolerance.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks brother (or sister). I made it to fourth year in my program years and years ago and then imploded but I've decided that I want to revisit this degree. To make myself proud and to make my parents proud and to help with my career. I'm expecting that I have to redo each course since it's been so long - I'm applying and am committed to getting it done though.
Oh, that's pretty far into it! You might not have to redo every course, I'm not really sure how all of that works, but if you do, it certainly won't hurt to get a small refresher and make sure you have everything down. I'm rooting for you Montressor! Good luck with the course!

I've recently been diagnosed with Health Anxiety and I'm really struggling most days to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety and would just like the reassurance that the feelings I have are common and not dangerous.

I have a pounding heartbeat every so often that will pump a bit harder than usual, sending a rush of blood around my body.

The tip of my little finger on my left hand feels sensitive to touch, but goes away if I tap it.

I've had multiple concerns recently, but these are the two I currently have atm. Also, I've tried SSRI's in the past but I cannot deal with the bedding in period and increased anxiety. I've tried beta blockers but they seemed to increase the feeling of tension around my chest/heart.
I feel like both of those are pretty normal symptoms. Are you currently still seeing a therapist? Have they recommended any coping methods that you can rely on when these feelings pop up?

I don't have like objective things I dislike. I just dislike it. It doesn't seem rational.

I know one day I'll like it again maybe. Right now I just can't stand it and anything about me.Can't manage mirrors.
That's understandable, it can be hard to pinpoint specifics like that. Would you be willing to try out something a little different? When it comes to overwhelming negativity like that, especially when it doesn't feel rational, it helps me to just say something a little more positive to myself. If you're struggling to think of some, you can think back to the compliments that people have given you in the past, and repeat them to yourself. It sounds a little cheesy, but maintaining more positive thoughts where you can, can go a long way towards helping you actually see yourself in a more positive light. It definitely won't be an instant switch, and those negative thoughts will still creep in, but if you keep at it, it can help!

What I'm saying here is really a very basic form of CBT, and trying to challenge the negative thoughts that appear. On top of trying that out, can you look through this list and see if you recognize any of the patterns here in your own mindset? https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/

I've recently been diagnosed with Health Anxiety and I'm really struggling most days to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety and would just like the reassurance that the feelings I have are common and not dangerous.

I have a pounding heartbeat every so often that will pump a bit harder than usual, sending a rush of blood around my body.

The tip of my little finger on my left hand feels sensitive to touch, but goes away if I tap it.

I've had multiple concerns recently, but these are the two I currently have atm. Also, I've tried SSRI's in the past but I cannot deal with the bedding in period and increased anxiety. I've tried beta blockers but they seemed to increase the feeling of tension around my chest/heart.
Oh yeah, it seems pretty "normal". I have the same feeling during panick attacks. It can be scary as hell and I sometimes feel like I'm one second away from a heart attack, but it's... normal, sadly. And as for beta blockers, perhaps they're not all exactly the same. I've had some medication, including beta blockers, that really helped, and others that just made it worse and did increase the feeling of tension. Your doctor could perhaps give you something else, it can be worth a try.

One good advice I can give when you're dealing with depression: sleep enough. Don't sleep too much, but get your rest if you can. If you're depressed and you suffer from insomnia like me, that can be rough, because being sleep deprived makes you oversensitive, and you can more easily feel overwhelmed.

It's 12pm, good night...

Last edited:
So much relatable stuff in this thread as always.

I have a minor dilemma regarding my treatment.

Late last year I went to my GP and asked for help with my anxiety/depression, and after a very long wait I had a short course of online CBT with a few in-person sessions, which didn't help much at all.
Went back to my GP and they prescribed me some pills, started on a low dosage at my request and was supposed to check in with my doctor every month to see how they're going, but the receptionists being jobsworths made it increasingly difficult for me to get appointments, and I eventually gave up trying. So I've been without medication since.
I tried to register with another doctor but they said I can't while I'm already registered with one in my area.

So I used a self-referral service to request more therapy, had an assessment session and they asked what type of therapy I would prefer, I said counselling as I had already tried CBT, but they referred me for CBT anyway, and said the wait would be 'a couple of months'. After a couple of months without hearing from I contacted them to ask what's happening and they said the wait will actually be 8-10 months.
I asked if there are any other options and they said they can refer me to a text-based CBT service (not sure what this means, online messaging I think), I asked if I could do that while I wait for the in-person therapy but they said no, it's one or the other. So do I go for the online service or wait 8-10 months for the in person help??
I'm leaning towards the latter as the online stuff didn't help before (even though they claim this is different), but it's such a stupidly long wait.

Mental health services here (UK) are stretched ridiculously thin at the moment, it's so hard to get any help.

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
I know the feeling. Just thought my experience could've been of some help. Do you feel any of your interest or studies are true to you and what you want to do? Do not be so hard on yourself for not getting the material. Use any resources the school offers that can help, one major thing about failing students is that they are usually afraid to ask for any extra help. In my case personally I either felt ashamed, too stubborn, or doubtful that I could pick the material even with help. Hope this makes some sense.
I don't really know to be honest. I don't know if I am following someone elses dreams or my own. Sometimes I do feel like I am on the right path in my studies but more often I feel like I am not supposed to be where I am. Everytime I talk to anyone in the class I feel like those people have much more of a passion and drive towards the field than what I have. Granted I don't really have that towards to anything anymore but still.

I definitely should ask help more often but I always just end up trying to do things on my own. I have hard time starting any discussion especially if it is related to my studies as I feel like I am not at the level I should be.

Mar 9, 2018
Oh, that's pretty far into it! You might not have to redo every course, I'm not really sure how all of that works, but if you do, it certainly won't hurt to get a small refresher and make sure you have everything down. I'm rooting for you Montressor! Good luck with the course!

I feel like both of those are pretty normal symptoms. Are you currently still seeing a therapist? Have they recommended any coping methods that you can rely on when these feelings pop up?

That's understandable, it can be hard to pinpoint specifics like that. Would you be willing to try out something a little different? When it comes to overwhelming negativity like that, especially when it doesn't feel rational, it helps me to just say something a little more positive to myself. If you're struggling to think of some, you can think back to the compliments that people have given you in the past, and repeat them to yourself. It sounds a little cheesy, but maintaining more positive thoughts where you can, can go a long way towards helping you actually see yourself in a more positive light. It definitely won't be an instant switch, and those negative thoughts will still creep in, but if you keep at it, it can help!

What I'm saying here is really a very basic form of CBT, and trying to challenge the negative thoughts that appear. On top of trying that out, can you look through this list and see if you recognize any of the patterns here in your own mindset? https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/
I looked at that page and I do all those things, it's really eye-opening.

I'll try to repeat good phrases that were said about myself.

It's harder. My current psychologist gave me a diagnosis of bpd, so my identity always seems to slip.

I feel like I have to regain, reprove who I am each day, at work, while alone.

It's exhausting, but thank you.

*sigh*

same shit, different day.

I feel like different people. constantly being at extremes of both ends of emotions.

hope I find the courage to end this soon
I hope you find the courage not to.
And I hope you won't have to stay on a waiting list for too long. It could really help you.
I'm not sure if this waiting list thing is the same here in Europe... when I desperately needed to see a psychiatrist, my general physician wrote letters so that I could have an appointment with the best he knew. I've never heard of people on waiting lists here... I'm sure there are, but it's probably not so common.
After a bit of googling I see that the situation is bad in Canada... damn, that sucks. Hang in there.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I'm going to try again myself after a couple "implossions" (I'm bipolar, and deal with some extreme sleep apnea). Been trying school since '03 lol. Just need to get my finances in order, and review with free/inexpensive web courses in the meantime.

Oct 23, 2018
Missed my therapist because of major anxiety about leaving the house. I don't think it was a panic attack, but it was hard to breath and my chest felt tight. And I need to find a new psychiatrist. Old one moved, and I'm out of medicine now. I really worry I'm taking several steps back.

Oct 25, 2017
So much relatable stuff in this thread as always.

I have a minor dilemma regarding my treatment.

Late last year I went to my GP and asked for help with my anxiety/depression, and after a very long wait I had a short course of online CBT with a few in-person sessions, which didn't help much at all.
Went back to my GP and they prescribed me some pills, started on a low dosage at my request and was supposed to check in with my doctor every month to see how they're going, but the receptionists being jobsworths made it increasingly difficult for me to get appointments, and I eventually gave up trying. So I've been without medication since.
I tried to register with another doctor but they said I can't while I'm already registered with one in my area.

So I used a self-referral service to request more therapy, had an assessment session and they asked what type of therapy I would prefer, I said counselling as I had already tried CBT, but they referred me for CBT anyway, and said the wait would be 'a couple of months'. After a couple of months without hearing from I contacted them to ask what's happening and they said the wait will actually be 8-10 months.
I asked if there are any other options and they said they can refer me to a text-based CBT service (not sure what this means, online messaging I think), I asked if I could do that while I wait for the in-person therapy but they said no, it's one or the other. So do I go for the online service or wait 8-10 months for the in person help??
I'm leaning towards the latter as the online stuff didn't help before (even though they claim this is different), but it's such a stupidly long wait.

Mental health services here (UK) are stretched ridiculously thin at the moment, it's so hard to get any help.
That's an understandably hard decision to make. It's kind of odd that they won't let you do both at once or do one while you wait for the other, but I suppose that's just a symptom of how backed up they are. Would it be possible for you to go back to your doctor while you're doing one of these programs? It sounds like it was frustrating to have to go through a receptionist like that, but aiming for multiple paths where you can might be beneficial just to be safe.

I see the pinned thing on the left in my watched threads list and keep thinking that the thread was locked.
Nope, we're still here and kicking!

Missed my therapist because of major anxiety about leaving the house. I don't think it was a panic attack, but it was hard to breath and my chest felt tight. And I need to find a new psychiatrist. Old one moved, and I'm out of medicine now. I really worry I'm taking several steps back.
It's okay Emmert. Sometimes we slip back a little bit, but I can tell that you're strong and that you'll make it through this. Do you have any coping mechanisms that you've used in the past for anxiety? When I feel like it's getting to be too much, I'll rely on some breathing techniques like these :

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble discerning reality from the fiction world my mind has created. It's becoming more insufferable as the day goes on. Way too many years of suffering, I'm starting to feel like a lost cause.

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I'm having trouble discerning reality from the fiction world my mind has created. It's becoming more insufferable as the day goes on. Way too many years of suffering, I'm starting to feel like a lost cause.
I'm the same way. I don't know whether I'm delusional or exaggerating the level of my sickness, I feel like I'm having an out of body experience most of the time. I'm at work and can't do anything but sit here, I have such brain fog that I'm incapable of doing anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone suffering with anxiety had the tingly/vibration feeling in their arm and fingers? If so, how do you deal with it and does it go?

I'm really struggling with it, I can't help but ruminate that it might be dangerous :(

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone suffering with anxiety had the tingly/vibration feeling in their arm and fingers? If so, how do you deal with it and does it go?

I'm really struggling with it, I can't help but ruminate that it might be dangerous :(
Yes, actually something that is worrying me as well since I can't tell if it's something else or anxiety. I try to stretch and relax a bit then it sometimes goes away.

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ontario
A friend who I dated a bit in college and have reconnected with (as friends) recently, wants me to go to her Christmas party for work tonight. I was surprised she asked me, because she'd been telling me about guys she'd met online and been hanging out with, and said yes. I appreciated the invite, didn't want to say no and was kind of excited about it (and seeing her cats who I fell in love with when I went to her place a few months ago, and who kept waking me up for attention).

Now I'm a ball of nerves.

I'm quiet, I don't know anyone who'll be there, and I don't dance. It's also a cash bar, so I can't just drink a lot and try to use it as liquid courage, without putting a dent in my wallet. Also, mostly, the food. I'm the pickiest eater I know, and I'm worried that something will be put on my plate that will make me unable to eat the rest. And I'm worried about looking like an asshole or wasting food, mostly. I'm okay with not eating -- it's looking bad or coming off rudely.

She said she thinks it's a prime rib dinner, but I'm worried there'll be something I don't eat with it, with some creamy or cheesy sauce that will contaminate the rest. I have a thing with textures and certain foods where they turn my stomach just to look at them and I can't eat them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, actually something that is worrying me as well since I can't tell if it's something else or anxiety. I try to stretch and relax a bit then it sometimes goes away.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've tried going on little jogs and taking deep, slow breaths which seem to alleviate the tingly feeling a little but it doesn't completely disappear and I'm worried it won't ever go. I've read that it's nothing dangerous and the reassurance helps a lot, it's just worrying that makes it worse.

Oct 25, 2017

Peel the onion. Ask yourself progressive questions about why the tingly feelings make you feel afraid. You'll inevitably answer that you think they might mean something serious is wrong with you.

But at that point you need to let your rational mind answer back that tingly feelings are very common and even are symptoms of anxiety and unless you have a strong indicator otherwise, there's probably nothing wrong. So those feelings won't harm you. Be at peace with them as they occur, and let them happen as they will. It doesn't have to bother you.

Oct 25, 2017
Peel the onion. Ask yourself progressive questions about why the tingly feelings make you feel afraid. You'll inevitably answer that you think they might mean something serious is wrong with you.

But at that point you need to let your rational mind answer back that tingly feelings are very common and even are symptoms of anxiety and unless you have a strong indicator otherwise, there's probably nothing wrong. So those feelings won't harm you. Be at peace with them as they occur, and let them happen as they will. It doesn't have to bother you.
Thank you so much for your reassuring words, it means a lot and I’ll be sure to take onboard what you’ve said and also re-read your message for when times get tough.

The tingly feeling has gone from the little finger on my left hand which is a relief, it’s still there on the little finger on my right hand and also my right elbow but now I can tell myself it’ll go just as quick as it came.

Well that was informative for me, because I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago, it started to worry me quite a bit, I had to apply some pressure on it to feel it less. Never had that before, but I was particularly stressed at the time. I just noticed one day that it was gone.

Now I'm gonna use Ketkat's gif to help me breath properly when I get a panic attack. I already try to control my breathing, I learned a bit of meditation when I was a kid, but it doesn't always work and a visual help can be good. Last one was yesterday just when I woke up. It was weird this time because I didn't actually feel too panicky, but I woke up and saw that I received a text that I had been dreading for weeks and as soon as I got up I felt so much pressure around my heart that I couldn't stand properly. I had to sit down for a while, but it was like, my body had reacted before my mind. I also suffer from hypertension and I have a treatment for that, probably for life since it started when I was in my late teens (that doesn't bode well for my life expectancy right :), so I used my blood pressure monitor and to my surprise it was relatively normal, for once. I don't know what happened, maybe it was like a cramp? But it was a bit scary anyway. And huh, being worried about it makes it worse :/

Generally speaking, the first hour after I wake up is the worst. I almost always wake up in a "light panick/existential dread" mode, even when I know I'm safe. I suppose it's a remnant from my childhood, but I can't do anything after at least an hour has passed. Checking my messages or stuff like that is a big no no, even when I'm not expecting anything in particular. I even avoid to check my notifications on Era, can you imagine that?? Sometimes it's because someone laughed at one of my terrible jokes or puns so you'd think that would make me feel better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was informative for me, because I experienced the same thing a few weeks ago, it started to worry me quite a bit, I had to apply some pressure on it to feel it less. Never had that before, but I was particularly stressed at the time. I just noticed one day that it was gone.

Now I'm gonna use Ketkat's gif to help me breath properly when I get a panic attack. I already try to control my breathing, I learned a bit of meditation when I was a kid, but it doesn't always work and a visual help can be good. Last one was yesterday just when I woke up. It was weird this time because I didn't actually feel too panicky, but I woke up and saw that I received a text that I had been dreading for weeks and as soon as I got up I felt so much pressure around my heart that I couldn't stand properly. I had to sit down for a while, but it was like, my body had reacted before my mind. I also suffer from hypertension and I have a treatment for that, probably for life since it started when I was in my late teens (that doesn't bode well for my life expectancy right :), so I used my blood pressure monitor and to my surprise it was relatively normal, for once. I don't know what happened, maybe it was like a cramp? But it was a bit scary anyway. And huh, being worried about it makes it worse :/

Generally speaking, the first hour after I wake up is the worst. I almost always wake up in a "light panick/existential dread" mode, even when I know I'm safe. I suppose it's a remnant from my childhood, but I can't do anything after at least an hour has passed. Checking my messages or stuff like that is a big no no, even when I'm not expecting anything in particular. I even avoid to check my notifications on Era, can you imagine that?? Sometimes it's because someone laughed at one of my terrible jokes or puns so you'd think that would make me feel better.
For one thing, if the medication is keeping your blood pressure under control then that will go a long way towards helping you to be healthy throughout life. I've been on blood pressure meds for more than a decade and feel grateful for their effects.

Mar 9, 2018
I've been putting on weight due to the medicine. I'm not sure if it's that or poor diet due to being poor that has suddenly made me exhausted when climbing the stairs.

I have noticed that when I get off clonidine I have a lot more energy but I'm worried about getting off as it helps me sleep plus I feel it's reversing the effects of trauma.

I feel like that will take a long time, like a year to go away.

Does anyone know?

I went from silently screaming and whimpering each night to none of that within months of starting.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017

Guess what? I went to the hospital last night for this very condition! I thought I had a stroke/heart attack because my entire left side went numb, but nope, just an extra bad period of anxiety. EKG, Blood work, X-rays, all vitals good. Now that I know it wasn't anything bad that's how I deal with it, and one day back and I still feel the tingles but since I can now tell myself it isn't anything major I can deal with it.

I was depressed pretty much my whole life but this anxiety only came on in the past two years or so and it is so much worse, but whenever I can convince myself that no, I'm relatively healthy and that no, I'm not going to die any time soon I get much better.

Probably the worst part about being anxious is how it has evolved. The first time I started getting panic attacks I got sweats and dizziness. Then it evolved a year later into heart palpitations and random chills. Now this numbness. Getting checked out last night was literally the best thing to happen to me in weeks though.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess what? I went to the hospital last night for this very condition! I thought I had a stroke/heart attack because my entire left side went numb, but nope, just an extra bad period of anxiety. EKG, Blood work, X-rays, all vitals good. Now that I know it wasn't anything bad that's how I deal with it, and one day back and I still feel the tingles but since I can now tell myself it isn't anything major I can deal with it.

I was depressed pretty much my whole life but this anxiety only came on in the past two years or so and it is so much worse, but whenever I can convince myself that no, I'm relatively healthy and that no, I'm not going to die any time soon I get much better.

Probably the worst part about being anxious is how it has evolved. The first time I started getting panic attacks I got sweats and dizziness. Then it evolved a year later into heart palpitations and random chills. Now this numbness. Getting checked out last night was literally the best thing to happen to me in weeks though.
I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad it made you feel better! I've recently been in the hospital as well (for appendicitis) and they took all my vitals and I'm completely fine so despite my anxiety telling me otherwise, there's nothing actually wrong with me.

Thankfully the tingly feeling seems to have gone today, however I've been having a cloudy mind that feels like a fog.

I've been putting on weight due to the medicine. I'm not sure if it's that or poor diet due to being poor that has suddenly made me exhausted when climbing the stairs.

I have noticed that when I get off clonidine I have a lot more energy but I'm worried about getting off as it helps me sleep plus I feel it's reversing the effects of trauma.

I feel like that will take a long time, like a year to go away.

Does anyone know?

I went from silently screaming and whimpering each night to none of that within months of starting.

Thanks.
It's hard to not gain weight when you're on medication because of depression or anxiety, but technically... the medicine shouldn't play a big role in that. It's a simple question of calories intake vs calories you burn. So it could be that your situation leads you to have a less healthy diet, and if you feel tired you move perhaps less than usual. That's what happens to me anyway. My doctor changed the dosage of the medicine, just a bit, and it was enough to make the fatigue mostly go away, while keeping positive effects on my morale. I also force myself to exercise a few times a week, not too much, but just enough to feel better and keep a good endurance.

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad it made you feel better! I've recently been in the hospital as well (for appendicitis) and they took all my vitals and I'm completely fine so despite my anxiety telling me otherwise, there's nothing actually wrong with me.

Thankfully the tingly feeling seems to have gone today, however I've been having a cloudy mind that feels like a fog.
Yeah, just knowing that there's nothing wrong with you helps a lot. During panic attacks I always feared my heart was gonna stop, but I've seen enough doctors who told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my heart, that during panic attacks I can manage to tell myself "you're fine, you idiot, fucking calm down now". Yeah I'm not very polite with myself but i'm such an ass.

Nov 10, 2017
Hey everyone. :)

After a decade on anti-depressants, a psychiatrist sat down with me for 2 hours recently and diagnosed me with bi-polar. Aparently, I scored quite high on the screening test. Fair enough. I never really felt great on the anti depressants, just sort of numb.

Problem is, these new meds are fucking me up, badly (Abilify).

Half the time I'm so drowsy I feel like I can fall asleep standing up, then the next minute I'll have so much energy I'll clean my bathroom for 2 hours (true stories, both from today).

I feel like I'm either drunk, or on meth. Lol.

Anyone else have experience with these side effects? Do they eventually go away? And has the medication helped you in the long run? Apparently I'm going to be prescribed lithium in a few weeks.

Sheesh.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. :)

After a decade on anti-depressants, a psychiatrist sat down with me for 2 hours recently and diagnosed me with bi-polar. Aparently, I scored quite high on the screening test. Fair enough. I never really felt great on the anti depressants, just sort of numb.

Problem is, these new meds are fucking me up, badly (Abilify).

Half the time I'm so drowsy I feel like I can fall asleep standing up, then the next minute I'll have so much energy I'll clean my bathroom for 2 hours (true stories, both from today).

I feel like I'm either drunk, or on meth. Lol.

Anyone else have experience with these side effects? Do they eventually go away? And has the medication helped you in the long run? Apparently I'm going to be prescribed lithium in a few weeks.

Sheesh.
Sometimes it can take a bit for our bodies to get used to new medication, but if you feel that the side effects are too much, then I would really recommend talking about this with your doctor. They will have a better idea of how you should be reacting to them at this point, and they might have some other alternatives lined up that might not affect you quite as much. I'm rooting for you Liquid and I hope that you can work out what medications will work best for you!

I’m incredibly nervous about seeking a psychiatrist. I normally don’t talk about my issues so finding someone to do just that is frightening.
It's normal to be nervous about opening up to people at first, but psychiatrists and therapists are trained to help you open up. I can tell that you're strong for reaching out like this and I know you can do this. You don't have to talk about anything that you don't want to, and there certainly is no rush to get into everything all at once. It's a process and it's okay to take your time finding a therapist that works for you and diving into what you want to talk about at your own pace. Have you looked into the options around you already?

Oct 27, 2017
It's normal to be nervous about opening up to people at first, but psychiatrists and therapists are trained to help you open up. I can tell that you're strong for reaching out like this and I know you can do this. You don't have to talk about anything that you don't want to, and there certainly is no rush to get into everything all at once. It's a process and it's okay to take your time finding a therapist that works for you and diving into what you want to talk about at your own pace. Have you looked into the options around you already?
No I haven’t sadly. Between work and being dead tired by the time I get off I’ve mostly just been working and sleeping. I don’t even have a general physician so I planned on going on psychology today and just looking up a psychiatrist to go to. I don’t even know if that’s the proper way to handle all of this.

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I think I'm legitimately scared of dating men. Hear me out.

Aside from all of my other mental issues, most of which I think are getting better via medication, I realize that I'm having a lot of problems with opening myself up to people. I automatically think the worst is going to happen or that they're going to stab me in the back. Or that they'll find something out about me and start hating me. And so I try to keep a lot of interactions really short. I've already lost a friend because of how I am, because sometimes i can get really manic and blow up and she didn't want ot have anything more to do with that. I'm medicated now but I doubt anyone cares and i still have my moments.

Like an example of this would be me rn at my co op term. I'm already really sad bc this really isn't my type of workplace and I'm really bored/annoyed by the work. But then i have co workers and while I try, I think I come off as fake when I try to talk to them, but at the same time I don't really want to let them know too much about me? i don't know. And this is just as bad as at school.

Then, to add men to the feature Idk. I'm 20. I guess I want companionship, but I'm definitely not ready for sex yet, so I wanted to see what was out there, but it's still hard for me to let my guard down and be honest. I've also been on a few dates with really pushy guys in the past and it's sort of made me really jaded. Idk if this is bc I'm Black, or maybe bc I'm a bit overweight, or maybe it's something to do with me but I'm just really jaded rn and I'm trying not to be about all of this bc I'm young and everyone says I should be having fun and having a ton of friends but I'm not. Even the few friends I do have I struggle to talk to nowadays.

Help please. I know i'm hardly on here (mostly in other ERAs and on discord).

Oct 25, 2017
No I haven’t sadly. Between work and being dead tired by the time I get off I’ve mostly just been working and sleeping. I don’t even have a general physician so I planned on going on psychology today and just looking up a psychiatrist to go to. I don’t even know if that’s the proper way to handle all of this.
Psychology Today can be a pretty good avenue for finding a therapist that fits your needs. It's fairly well organized and will give you a general idea on pricing and whether they support your insurance or not. If you find a therapist that you think might interest you, just send them an email and talk to them a little bit. Emails are free, and it's a good way to feel out which ones might work for you and which ones might not. When looking through it though, I would recommend that you mainly look at the ones in green. While they might be able to help with other issues, it's better to aim for the ones that have the best chance of helping you. This is what you'll see on the right side when looking at a specific therapist :

I think I'm legitimately scared of dating men. Hear me out.

Aside from all of my other mental issues, most of which I think are getting better via medication, I realize that I'm having a lot of problems with opening myself up to people. I automatically think the worst is going to happen or that they're going to stab me in the back. Or that they'll find something out about me and start hating me. And so I try to keep a lot of interactions really short. I've already lost a friend because of how I am, because sometimes i can get really manic and blow up and she didn't want ot have anything more to do with that. I'm medicated now but I doubt anyone cares and i still have my moments.

Like an example of this would be me rn at my co op term. I'm already really sad bc this really isn't my type of workplace and I'm really bored/annoyed by the work. But then i have co workers and while I try, I think I come off as fake when I try to talk to them, but at the same time I don't really want to let them know too much about me? i don't know. And this is just as bad as at school.

Then, to add men to the feature Idk. I'm 20. I guess I want companionship, but I'm definitely not ready for sex yet, so I wanted to see what was out there, but it's still hard for me to let my guard down and be honest. I've also been on a few dates with really pushy guys in the past and it's sort of made me really jaded. Idk if this is bc I'm Black, or maybe bc I'm a bit overweight, or maybe it's something to do with me but I'm just really jaded rn and I'm trying not to be about all of this bc I'm young and everyone says I should be having fun and having a ton of friends but I'm not. Even the few friends I do have I struggle to talk to nowadays.

Help please. I know i'm hardly on here (mostly in other ERAs and on discord).
Hey Saturday, you're always welcome here. It sounds like you're worried that others will abandon you if they really get to know you. That's a completely understandable feeling to have after losing a friend, but it does matter that you have medication now. There's nothing wrong with being bipolar, and it can be really difficult to manage it without proper treatment. I can tell that you're really brave for tackling all of this and still doing your best to get back out there. What do you typically do when your mind starts to assume the worst about a situation or a person?

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
What do you typically do when your mind starts to assume the worst about a situation or a person?
I usually just divest and try to stop talking to that person/get distance from that person. I'm really, really good at "ghosting" people, even my friends. Or it'll be months and we haven't talked to each other.

If it's a place like at work then I just try to sit and do my work without talking to anyone .That's really affecting me negatively in terms of networking, but it's just too hard to open up. I don't want to make a mistake.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually just divest and try to stop talking to that person/get distance from that person. I'm really, really good at "ghosting" people, even my friends. Or it'll be months and we haven't talked to each other.

If it's a place like at work then I just try to sit and do my work without talking to anyone .That's really affecting me negatively in terms of networking, but it's just too hard to open up. I don't want to make a mistake.
I see. It's normal to be worried about making mistakes, but everyone makes them at some point. If you make a mistake, it doesn't have to define who you are or follow you around forever. It's just one small part of your life that has no control over you. Would you be willing to read through this link and see if you can recognize any of the thought patterns that might pop up when you're feeling worried? https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/

What do people do to get through and cope with brain fog from anxiety?

Having health anxiety is the absolute worst.
I try my best to recenter myself and challenge the thoughts where I can. For instance, I had a job interview that was supposed to happen today, and I was incredibly anxious about it. I was starting to fall into all the what-if's that could happen, but I just had to tell myself that they wouldn't have called me up for an interview if they weren't interested in me and that the worst that can happen is that I just don't get the job. While that may not apply 1:1 towards having health anxiety, it's important to try and recognize where those thoughts are coming from and try to ground ourselves back in reality. When you feel that anxiety about your health starting to occur, what do you typically do with those feelings?

Oct 25, 2017
I see. It's normal to be worried about making mistakes, but everyone makes them at some point. If you make a mistake, it doesn't have to define who you are or follow you around forever. It's just one small part of your life that has no control over you. Would you be willing to read through this link and see if you can recognize any of the thought patterns that might pop up when you're feeling worried? https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/

I try my best to recenter myself and challenge the thoughts where I can. For instance, I had a job interview that was supposed to happen today, and I was incredibly anxious about it. I was starting to fall into all the what-if's that could happen, but I just had to tell myself that they wouldn't have called me up for an interview if they weren't interested in me and that the worst that can happen is that I just don't get the job. While that may not apply 1:1 towards having health anxiety, it's important to try and recognize where those thoughts are coming from and try to ground ourselves back in reality. When you feel that anxiety about your health starting to occur, what do you typically do with those feelings?
Thank you for your response, I can find coping mechanisms regarding social anxiety online but it’s a lot harder to find them about health anxiety.

When I feel these sensations my mind tells me could be serious, to combat them I try and ground myself, breath in deeply and tell myself that there’s nothing wrong with me and I’m perfectly fine and I can usually have brief moments of clarity where I understand that nothing is wrong.

But it’s just every single day I’m feeling sensations and thoughts that something “bad” could happen to my health.

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to work on feeling anxious when nothing is happening. I feel like I'm late for something that doesn't exist.. if that makes sense. That urgency, that discomfort. Tense.

All I can do is acknowledge it before it takes over me, and logically think about how there is nothing for me to be anxious about. That has helped to make this feeling and anxiousness go away. Everything is ok.

Oct 26, 2017
I had to leave work today. Just saw a doctor and got a referral for therapy.

Then i went to the funny pictures ot thinking it was this one lol.

I feel like a wreck rn. :< In in line at target waiting for some welbutrin. Need water.

Oct 25, 2017
work is really killing my soul. i think i will stay home and away from people this thanksgiving. if i breakdown and kill myself then thats how my life will end. ive been watching videos on reincarnation and thinking that if i do die and come back perhaps i might be able to experience some stuff in another life that i will never in this one. in my next life i hope i am smart enough to land a better job and get married in my 20s or 30s. i forfeit this life. going to buy some plum wine, beer and sake for my final day

Oct 27, 2017

I get this sometimes but it's just mild I think. Wasn't sure why but I guess I know now since it seems common..

Oct 25, 2017
I get this sometimes but it's just mild I think. Wasn't sure why but I guess I know now since it seems common..
Yeah mine seems to have completely disappeared now thankfully!

I’ve just discovered The Anxiety Guy on YouTube who gives fantastic tips and self help for Health Anxiety.

Oct 26, 2017
work is really killing my soul. i think i will stay home and away from people this thanksgiving. if i breakdown and kill myself then thats how my life will end. ive been watching videos on reincarnation and thinking that if i do die and come back perhaps i might be able to experience some stuff in another life that i will never in this one. in my next life i hope i am smart enough to land a better job and get married in my 20s or 30s. i forfeit this life. going to buy some plum wine, beer and sake for my final day
I have no carreer and i have to work like crazy. I had to out of work mid day yesterday and i cant make it in today. Im toast.

How long have you been at that job? Do you get some relief when you start a new one?

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Hey all, still studying for my test next month.

Probably going to end up spending Thanksgiving alone since I have to be at work and cannot leave town with my family. Gonna just be me with my dog and two cats studying at my laptop, but I'm content with that. Usually I could go over my friends house but I am not sure if that would be a good idea this year, and I am unlikely to get invited. Just started a part-time gig at FedEx so that's good news. Hoping I can save enough to and get my act together. I am still journaling everyday (almost everyday lol). But I am in a slightly better spot just for having a job and that by default brings me closer to my dreams/goals. Tonight after work, if I can get to the gym, I will take that as another victory as well. Will probably swing by again tomorrow in case any of you will be on her for Thanksgiving, I'd be glad to talk.

Otherwise, have a wonderful Thanksgiving you guys. Cherish every moment and interaction and leave any worries or fear behind :)

Oct 26, 2017
Mental health. Was diagnosed with severe depression and put me on 30mg of cymbalta. I also have to get counseling.
Where you planning to go yesterday or did something sudden happen?

Hey all, still studying for my test next month.

Probably going to end up spending Thanksgiving alone since I have to be at work and cannot leave town with my family. Gonna just be me with my dog and two cats studying at my laptop, but I'm content with that. Usually I could go over my friends house but I am not sure if that would be a good idea this year, and I am unlikely to get invited. Just started a part-time gig at FedEx so that's good news. Hoping I can save enough to and get my act together. I am still journaling everyday (almost everyday lol). But I am in a slightly better spot just for having a job and that by default brings me closer to my dreams/goals. Tonight after work, if I can get to the gym, I will take that as another victory as well. Will probably swing by again tomorrow in case any of you will be on her for Thanksgiving, I'd be glad to talk.

Otherwise, have a wonderful Thanksgiving you guys. Cherish every moment and interaction and leave any worries or fear behind :)
Have a nice thanksgiving. I had a friend extend an invite but I don't feel like im in quite the shape to make it. Maybe. idk. I'm not alone here, tho. I'm thankful for that. I'll certainly be on here tomorrow.