• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
zipzUFj.jpg

Release Date: 02/08/2018 (Out now Globally!)
Developer: Rideon Japan Co., Ltd
Publisher: Circle Entertainment
Genre: Tactical RPG
Platform(s): Nintendo Switch (compilation) Mobile Phones and 3DS (original releases)
Price(s): $14.99/€14.99/£13.59/¥1500

4cwI0ic.png

On Fornéas, a green continent blessed with rich lands and temperate climate, is a powerful empire and several small countries, among which, the kingdom of Mondoa in the South.
Rumor of the invasion of the Northern country of Sekurakku is the first strike of a new surge of territorial expansion that is about to threaten it. Over time, this infamous thirst of conquest will be known as the Battle of the Bog.

In warring times, through the misfortune of many, profits and rewards are still to be seized for those who live as sellswords.

This, is the story of a new squad of men and women trying to thrive as such.

Led by the young Captain Leon, the initial six of them would grown in numbers, strength and repute, among many stronger other squads of mercenaries. This is the story of how they became the Corps of The White Lion.

One day, they undertook a job of thieves extermination...

gD7EXS6.png

Claude is the captain of the Kingdom's Order of the Silver Eagle. One day while he guarded Prince Laz's hunting session, an assassin appeared. Claude covers the prince's escape and stops the assassin, but it was just a trap and the prince has been poisoned by a blade.

To aid the prince, Claude has to lead the Silver Eagle north so that they can find the only antidote–an Erni Herb…

tEHDHVR.png

Long ago there were two continents, split into North and South by a large ocean, that underwent vastly different developments.

In the North, the Flare Kingdom, with their advanced industry and powerful military background, expanded their sphere of influence. They annexed neighboring states until the entire continent was under their control.

On the other hand, the tribes of the Kirialos country in the southern continent were at constant war over their plentiful resources.

Having achieved domination of their own continent, the Flare Kingdom set their sights on Kirialos's resources. They intervened in the wars on the south continent in the name of peacekeeping, but took complete control in the blink of an eye. They set up a puppet government in Kirialos, whilst siphoning the wealth obtained from its resources back to their own continent.

That's when the "Liberation Army" appeared - it's sights set on overthrowing the Kingdom and its puppet government.

To deal with this uprising, the Kingdom set up a local ministry of war. The name of the Kingdom's foreign campaign regiment was "Coronea". The mercenaries who joined this unit, be it for money, fame or honor, became known as the "Kingdom's Dogs".

m4t7pmN.png

What Is This?
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles is a compilation of three tactical RPGs, Mercenaries Saga 1: The Will of the White Lions, Mercenaries Saga 2: The Order of the Silver Eagle, and Mercenaries Saga 3: Gray Wolves of War. These were originally mobile phone games, but MS2 and MS3 eventually made their way to the 3DS. Both ports were localized and brought over to the west courtesy of Circle Entertainment, but this is the first time MS1 is being released both on a Nintendo platform (or non-mobile platform period) and in the west.

Yw9AOM6.png

Gameplay:
The Mercenaries Saga games are isometric tactical RPGs in the vein of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. Players will field a small team of warriors in turn based battles that alternate between the entire Player team acting and the entire Enemy team acting while navigating isometric maps with varying terrain, each of which has their own bounty of hidden treasure.

Each game operates on a mostly linear chapter-based Story Mission structure akin to old-Fire Emblem, though players have opportunities to branch out into alternating stories depending on choices made during individual chapters. While the story is always moving forward, players also have the option of participating in Free Battles, which allow you to freely revisit old maps and fight remixed enemy teams without any story.

Along with Story Battles and Free Battles, the games also feature some post/end-game multi-level dungeons, a limited new game+ mode, and difficulty options to give you a ton of additional stuff to do on top of the regular experiences the individual games provide.

A6Pbd5N.png

Character Building:
Unlike TO and FFT and their armies of generic soldiers with an open class system, Mercenaries Saga features a cast of named characters that you'll be spending the games with. Each character begins as in a set beginner class that can then branch out into two separate intermediate classes, each of which then branch out themselves into two master classes. Each class has its own set of skills (both active and passive) that can be carried over between unlocked classes. Skills can be upgraded by spending Skill Points earned at the end of combat. Class Promotions themselves are also acquired through spending SP, though each character has two master classes that must be unlocked by acquiring special items at the shop.

On top of gear and items won in combat, you can also deck your characters out with gear purchased from a shop always available from your camp between chapters. This shop updates as you progress through the story, so don't stick around too long in one place. There is also a item synthesis system that will give you limited item customization options.

95c41P8.jpg

What's New?
Aside from a massively upgraded resolution and reworked UI that drops the mobile phone UI carried over to the 3DS versions, MS1 and MS2 have been updated to include new mechanics and improvements introduced in MS3, effectively making the gameplay between each game identical.

tEsdp8f.jpg

Media:
uJvS4Pq.jpg

9sm81r8.jpg

0ffkeYm.jpg

V7tuKtF.jpg

ytcccYY.jpg

X53tCwa.jpg

hSqFhZd.jpg

FAQ
Q: How long are these games?
A: Each game averages around 20 hours.

Q: Is it possible to grind, or are you only able to ever move forward in the plot?
A: You always have the option of Free Battles, where you can go back and replay old maps with remixed enemies and no story scenes.

Q: Do enemies scale like in FFT/TO
A: No. Scenarios and Free Battles have set enemies, so you can level yourself accordingly.

Q: Is it possible to miss things?
A: Very much so, given you will actually need to play the games multiple times to see everything.

Q: What carries over on a NG+?
A: Unique items and specially labled gear, all unlocked classes, skills, and gold will transfer. You'll start back at level 1, but you will have all earned SP refunded to respend at your hearts content. NG+ runs also unlock special Free Battle scenarios to given you an additional challenge.

Q: Are the games really as choppy as that footage made them look?
A: Sadly, that's one legacy of their origin as low budget mobile phone games that we've not been able to escape.

Q: Can I ship characters in this?
A: Alas, this isn't Fire Emblem. You'll have to come up with your own support conversations in your own time.

Q: Is this digital only?
A: For now. Circle doesn't seem against eventually working towards physical releases of their Switch games, so it is possible we see this get a limited run. That said, this is strictly an eShop release until we hear otherwise.

Reviews

Nintendo World Report 7/10
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles will itch a scratch if you're looking for a solid strategy RPG experience. The gameplay is fun, easy to get into and accessible for anyone that's ever wanted to play a strategy RPG but didn't know what to begin with. Beyond the solid gameplay mechanics lies a very generic presentation and a list of other things that come as cheap, uninteresting, or uncreative. In general, the game doesn't have a lot of bad elements, but too many bland moments restrict it from becoming a truly memorable experience.

Digitally Downloaded 3.5/5
Surely, you could already have guessed that they're not up to the standards or creativity of the likes of Disgaea of Final Fantasy Tactics. That doesn't mean they're not worthwhile, though. There's so much raw content in this package that, as long as you're a fan of the standard tactics JRPG formula, you won't be able to help but get plenty of value out of this trilogy. And the standard tactics JRPG formula is so damn good that it's timeless. Making Mercenaries Saga itself functionally timeless.

RPGamer (in progress)
Players looking for a good strategy RPG experience on the Switch should keep an eye on Mercenaries Saga Chronicles.

Community Advice (Coming Soon!)

Last edited:

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the great OT! Had my eye on this game for a while. For $15 I'll definitely give it a go.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Pre-ordered for Switch. Really pumped for these. There is something extremely satisfying about simple FFT style games... Like Luminous Arc. Not all games need 100 deep new systems to be enjoyable.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the great OT! Had my eye on this game for a while. For $15 I'll definitely give it a go.
It's easily a steal at that. While I'm certainly happy that the 3DS versions of MS2 and 3 were only $5 each, I'd have happily paid $15 for them given what you get out of each game.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
preordered

looks decent for $13.50

the further away from disgaea hellpit mechanics the better

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in the eShop coming soon section and immediately recognized it being a Tactics like game. I'm pretty excited. Has anyone played any of these before?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to buy these on 3DS for literally years but never got around to it.
This seems like the perfect opportunity so I'll be grabbing it for sure.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in the eShop coming soon section and immediately recognized it being a Tactics like game. I'm pretty excited. Has anyone played any of these before?
I have MS2 on the 3DS. For an extremely low budget mobile game, it does a pretty good job of recreating the general feel of FFT/TO. The only real piece missing is the writing. Which isn't to say that MS2 has bad writing, but just that it isn't quite on the same level.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought MS2 for 3ds in a sale. I enjoyed it a lot, it was like a low budget final fantasy tactics. I'm interested in this, even if I already completed MS2.

• Gameplay is simple and easy to understand
  • Skills are enjoyable to obtain
  • You can upgrade character classes
  • Graphics are nothing special, but fine for the price
  • It felt lenghty for the price. Over 10 hours I seem to remember

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a friendly reminder that there is a little over two hours left before the preorder discount ends.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
And it's live! So far, the new menus are really slick. It also seems like there's a little bit of a load going from the game selection hub into the individual games.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've put about an hour and a half in so far and these games are still as fun as they were on the 3DS.

I did catch one inconvenient thing in that there's no way to get back to the game selection hub once you're in a game. You have to close the app and restart it from the Switch menu if you want to switch to a different game in the collection. It sucks, but Circle and Rideon still put enough effort into the porting job that I wouldn't slag them for being lazy or anything here. Also, on a second check, the load from the hub to each individual game isn't as long as I originally thought and booting from the Switch menu itself to the selection hub is pretty quick, so it isn't a dealbreaker or anything.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just bought this. Loved the second game on 3DS. Bought the 3rd, but never played much of it. Excited that these games are on Switch now.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
To be totally blunt and honest, looking at these games and reading reviews just makes me realize how much I miss FFT and Tactics Ogre. A new proper entry in those series would be superb on the Switch, or even a somewhat more inspired SRPG like Jeanne d'Arc, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, or SMT: Devil Survivor. It's just hard to get excited about a game that looks so bland compared to the classics that have preceded (and clearly inspired) it.

I was hoping that the success of Fire Emblem on 3DS would spark a revival of the genre but we haven't seen it yet. If nothing else at least we have FE on Switch to look forward to.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Game is great so far. Playing the first one on normal and it's much more difficult than anticipated.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who had 2 and 3 on the 3DS, I'm actually disappointed by how they fucked up this port. The mobile excuse doesn't fly, since the 3DS games did not run like this. Deeply regret getting it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be totally blunt and honest, looking at these games and reading reviews just makes me realize how much I miss FFT and Tactics Ogre. A new proper entry in those series would be superb on the Switch, or even a somewhat more inspired SRPG like Jeanne d'Arc, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, or SMT: Devil Survivor. It's just hard to get excited about a game that looks so bland compared to the classics that have preceded (and clearly inspired) it.

I was hoping that the success of Fire Emblem on 3DS would spark a revival of the genre but we haven't seen it yet. If nothing else at least we have FE on Switch to look forward to.
It's really not fair to compare these games to genre giants like FFT and TO. These games were developed primarily for mobile by a tiny developer on a shoestring budget. They are actually really impressive all things considered.

Also there have been quite a few SRPGs on 3DS and Vita in the past few years. Stella Glow, God Wars, Grand Kingdom, Summon Knight 6, Utawarerumono, Disgaea is still soldiering on, and Fire Emblem is selling better than ever. Plus there have been lots of western additions to the genre, like Children of the Zodiarcs, Regalia, Banner Saga, etc.

The genre is still in a good place, imo

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you be more specific? Framerate, loading times?

Sprite animation. The sprites don't match the smoothness of the rest of the game. Frame rate itself is fine, but when the sprites have such a terrible animation it looks like the game is running with a much lower frame rate (when it actually isn't).

Find any 30 min / 1h of gameplay video and you will understand. The 3DS version did not have that, or if it did it wasn't nearly this bad.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are the controls on mobile? Trying to decide if I'd rather pick these up for phone or for switch. For reference, I played the iOS version of FFT a few years ago and couldn't fucking stand the controls. Not sure what it was, but I always felt like I was fighting against them, even though FFT is in no way a twitch game that requires controller precision. I always figured it was just due to poorly emulated on-screen playstation controls.

Conversely, I've played several GBA and SNES SRPGs on emulators on my phone and have never had any issues.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not fair to compare these games to genre giants like FFT and TO. These games were developed primarily for mobile by a tiny developer on a shoestring budget. They are actually really impressive all things considered.

Also there have been quite a few SRPGs on 3DS and Vita in the past few years. Stella Glow, God Wars, Grand Kingdom, Summon Knight 6, Utawarerumono, Disgaea is still soldiering on, and Fire Emblem is selling better than ever. Plus there have been lots of western additions to the genre, like Children of the Zodiarcs, Regalia, Banner Saga, etc.

The genre is still in a good place, imo
Don't get me wrong, I understand this series of games never had a chance to fill those shoes, it's just that seeing them makes me think about that possibility going forward. I haven't played any of the SRPGs you mention (other than Disgaea which I hate and Banner Saga which was decent) but I'm guessing they are all fairly niche and low profile, and that's fine, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

When I talk about a revival of the genre I'm specifically referencing bigger developers and publishers getting back in and making some high profile games with budgets and resources that allow them to compete or even surpass the genre classics. I do believe that's happening with Nintendo and Fire Emblem right now as I love FE:A and Fates, so a part of me is hoping other developers take note. Look at what Square is doing with JRPGs like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler and imagine FFT/Tactics Ogre getting the same treatment!

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
How are the controls on mobile? Trying to decide if I'd rather pick these up for phone or for switch. For reference, I played the iOS version of FFT a few years ago and couldn't fucking stand the controls. Not sure what it was, but I always felt like I was fighting against them, even though FFT is in no way a twitch game that requires controller precision. I always figured it was just due to poorly emulated on-screen playstation controls.

Conversely, I've played several GBA and SNES SRPGs on emulators on my phone and have never had any issues.

I see what you mean from videos. Not sure how much that would bother me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought MS2 on the 3DS but never played it. I'm going to pick this up at some point.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Find any 30 min / 1h of gameplay video and you will understand. The 3DS version did not have that, or if it did it wasn't nearly this bad.
From what I could tell on toying around with MS2 3DS while waiting for the Switch version to activate, it did have the choppy animations. The difference does come in with the animations on the Switch version being slightly more choppy (which is noticable) but there are other aspects that were improved that aren't as noticeable, namely with the scrolling not being as choppy which you never notice due to the Switch version not needing to due to being able to show more of the map at one time.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

how about disgea V

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I understand this series of games never had a chance to fill those shoes, it's just that seeing them makes me think about that possibility going forward. I haven't played any of the SRPGs you mention (other than Disgaea which I hate and Banner Saga which was decent) but I'm guessing they are all fairly niche and low profile, and that's fine, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

When I talk about a revival of the genre I'm specifically referencing bigger developers and publishers getting back in and making some high profile games with budgets and resources that allow them to compete or even surpass the genre classics. I do believe that's happening with Nintendo and Fire Emblem right now as I love FE:A and Fates, so a part of me is hoping other developers take note. Look at what Square is doing with JRPGs like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler and imagine FFT/Tactics Ogre getting the same treatment!
Yeah, I understand that, but SRPGs have always been a rather niche genre overall, even stuff like FFT and TO are pretty low budget affairs compared to other games of their day. Despite that we are still seeing some decent investment in the genre, such as Valkyria Chronicles 4 and likely FE Switch. I would love for Square to revisit FFT, TO, or Front Mission, but even if they did they won't be a big budget affair.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sprite animation. The sprites don't match the smoothness of the rest of the game. Frame rate itself is fine, but when the sprites have such a terrible animation it looks like the game is running with a much lower frame rate (when it actually isn't).

Ouch. Any hope that Circle / Rideon can patch this? Are they aware of the problem?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of a precipice biting on this. Tactics Ogre and FFT are among my faves of all time. How bad is the performance really? I feel like I can let some of it slide in a turn-based game since I'll mostly be playing while half-watching TV, but the games look kind of generic, too... Dunno how to weigh how much I want something *like* this vs what if I just bust out my SP and play Knight of Lodis again...

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of a precipice biting on this. Tactics Ogre and FFT are among my faves of all time. How bad is the performance really? I feel like I can let some of it slide in a turn-based game since I'll mostly be playing while half-watching TV, but the games look kind of generic, too... Dunno how to weigh how much I want something *like* this vs what if I just bust out my SP and play Knight of Lodis again...
This isn't that expensive and they're solid games. I never played the original releases so I didn't notice any differences in terms of performance. I came in expecting ports from mobile/DS titles and haven't been disappointed yet.
It's obviously not as deep as FFT but they're fun.

Papasmurff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping for a physical release, but that seems unlikely. Anyway I'm a sucker for these types of games, so I'm in. Looks fun!

Just Progress

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed I bought this. I think the game is decent enough, but the choppiness of the whole thing makes it such a chore to play.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I gave this a try yesterday and I haven't gotten far, but I'm surprised at how quick Normal mode ramps up the difficulty in MS1 (I have to grind a bit for the Chapter 3 or 4 fight, I forget which). It's doesn't seem unfairly hard or anything, I'm just surprised that my characters were already underleveled... it's so early, after all!

I am a little thrown off by the choppiness, it's sorta weird that it's like that, but oh well.

Question, can I play the games in any order? I booted up MS2 and watched the opening and it didn't immediately seem like I was lost by not completing MS1, but it'd be nice to know if I can skip around the games if I want to :)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
These games look really fun, but I'm swamped atm ;_;

Might pick it up in March after finishing Disgaea 5 and Bayonetta 1+2, and before GOW PS4. Have fun playing this in the meantime, everyone!

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I gave this a try yesterday and I haven't gotten far, but I'm surprised at how quick Normal mode ramps up the difficulty in MS1 (I have to grind a bit for the Chapter 3 or 4 fight, I forget which). It's doesn't seem unfairly hard or anything, I'm just surprised that my characters were already underleveled... it's so early, after all!

I am a little thrown off by the choppiness, it's sorta weird that it's like that, but oh well.

Question, can I play the games in any order? I booted up MS2 and watched the opening and it didn't immediately seem like I was lost by not completing MS1, but it'd be nice to know if I can skip around the games if I want to :)
They can be played independently of each other. This is the first time MS1 has been released in the west, even, so some of us had already jumped into the others without having ever played it.

Papasmurff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is tough! Had to grind a bit to beat one of the story missions. Which seems like it's intentional, as the characters that join up are always higher levels than existing party members if you don't grind.

Classes seem pretty balanced though. My archer is a little weak and nearly as squishy as the glass cannon mages but maybe I just need better skills on her.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh, there is a compilation for the Switch? I may have to buy this. I never played any of those, but I eyed them since I found Mercenary Saga 2 on the 3DS eShop.

How complex do these games get though, them being mobile games at first and such? Thinking about map size especially.

Papasmurff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How complex do these games get though, them being mobile games at first and such? Thinking about map size especially.

I've only played a few missions of the first game, so the maps may get bigger later on, but yeah they're smaller than in Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem. And at the beginning characters can only move three tiles per turn, which feels kinda limited. But my rogue character already has expanded movement so hopefully other party members can pick that up too as they get advanced classes. I remember feeling limited with movement at the start of FFT as well and then by the end of the game I had my monk and lancer flying all across the map.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, how have I never heard of these games, wtf! I used my 3ds for like an hour or two over the past two years, this would've given me a reason to use it.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking of getting this or, SuperBeat : Xonic.. hmmm someone help convince me. Hows the Story in this game are the characters have depth?

Papasmurff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone managed to beat the final boss of the first game? It seems like it would take substantial grinding to even have a chance, as he can one-shot most members of my party and attack twice in one turn. I guess the best strategy is to keep chain-reviving but that relies on RNG. Maybe I'll come back to it someday but I'm giving up on it for now.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I need to fix my left joycon before playing this. It won't register as present for some reason. How do you fix that?